Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Brubeck and Desmond did a tune that was subdivided into counting one bar of 3 followed by one bar of 2.

Yeah, I know, and Blue Rondo à la Turk is 2 + 2 + 2 + 3, or 3 + 3 + 3, with some parts payed as if 4/4 so I guess you wont allow that they could count to 9 either :-(

Last edited by PapaMikie; 05/28/09 09:18 AM.

PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The irony of this situation is that people expect congress, the same people, both Democrats and Republicans, that got us into this mess . . . to get us out of this mess.

Quote:

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
-Albert Einstein

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
We should give them all a fair trial BEFORE we hang 'em!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Why waste any more of the taxpayers dollars, or valuable time, Mick?

But, I would be willing to give them a 10 second head start, and see if they can outrun my Ruger .204!

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

... I tried using my fingers, works ok until I hit the 11th bar and I can get confused.

Maybe take off your shoes and socks?

Last edited by Lawrie; 05/28/09 06:22 PM.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Q: (for those that think this plan would work) How much is 40,000,000 x 1,000,000?

Exactly.

Forget not that the car companies troubles - all of them, foreign and domestic - are primarily due to a business model that depends on customers that use credit to buy the products.

When 40% of the customers go away nearly overnight (that's what happened in less than a 6 month time frame with the elimination of the credit markets for those 40% of customers), then NO business can really sustain itself.

I don't care who runs those car companies - they won't figure out a way around that fact. The CEOs of the banks are the ones who should be answering questions in Washington, not the bosses of the big 3.

Who here can buy any new car on a cash basis without a major upset to your current budget?

That's what I thought - very likely less than 5% of the readers of this forum could do just that.

If the credit market doesn't turn around soon, watch your beloved Japanese car companies come tumbling down as well. They have some cash reserves, but they will not last long.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Why waste any more of the taxpayers dollars, or valuable time, Mick?

But, I would be willing to give them a 10 second head start, and see if they can outrun my Ruger .204!

Gary

You should never underestimate Yankee ingenuity! You're right Gary.
A beautiful streamlined approach.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
We could probably save more taxpayer monies by following this approach: Once a politician is elected to an office, we do not pay them a single cent; all they make is simply what they can steal. At the end of their first term, they automatically go to jail.

Think of the savings!!!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Could work, except that our national deficit is no where near that number.....We could pay ourselves out of debt first and still not be anywhere near that number. We could buy a new car for every working adult in the country, and still not be anywhere near that number. We could probably pay off every home mortgage in the country and still not be anywhere near that number.

Or we could bail out large corporations like GM, and then let them move all their mfg to China, and import the cars to this country. Lose about 20 Gazillion jobs that are in one way or another associated with the auto makers, unions, etc. But then of course we would have to also bail out the banks, and Insurance companies, and let them squander the money, and have nothing left to show for it, except a huge deficit.

Since this seems to be the way the Govt has chosen to handle things, we probably should let them also run our healthcare. I mean look what a great job they have done with Medicare. Most doctors around where I live won't even take new medicare patients.

just a thought.

Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Quote:

Forget not that the car companies troubles - all of them, foreign and domestic - are primarily due to a business model that depends on customers that use credit to buy the products.

When 40% of the customers go away nearly overnight (that's what happened in less than a 6 month time frame with the elimination of the credit markets for those 40% of customers), then NO business can really sustain itself.

I don't care who runs those car companies - they won't figure out a way around that fact. The CEOs of the banks are the ones who should be answering questions in Washington, not the bosses of the big 3.

Who here can buy any new car on a cash basis without a major upset to your current budget?

That's what I thought - very likely less than 5% of the readers of this forum could do just that.

If the credit market doesn't turn around soon, watch your beloved Japanese car companies come tumbling down as well. They have some cash reserves, but they will not last long.

I think you've nailed it Scott. But the problem isn't going to go away - our human societies have been living on credit too much for too long. Our governments have been running deficits year after year, and many individuals have maxed out their credit cards and are mortgaged to the hilt. The mess we're seeing now (and it's world-wide so let no one smirk) couldn't possibly go on forever and it's caught up with us - this shouldn't have been a surprise. We could call this the free lunch syndrome and it has overtaken rational thinking.

Our (brain dead) PM defended the minister of finance's gigantic miscalculation on the deficit, by saying he would spend more if it was required. How can you possibly spend your way out of debt? Good grief, the man is supposed to be an economist - if an economist thinks we can spend ourselves out of debt, what chance do we have?

Just my deflated two cents worth.

Glenn

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Our (brain dead) PM defended the minister of finance's gigantic miscalculation on the deficit, by saying he would spend more if it was required. How can you possibly spend your way out of debt? Good grief, the man is supposed to be an economist - if an economist thinks we can spend ourselves out of debt, what chance do we have?

Just my deflated two cents worth.

Glenn

Glenn, just remember that it's the first deficit in 10 years or so, and that the deficit spending is supposed to be on infrastructure. At least ours is open. Just heard on the news that an American military camp, after finding out that the plastic plumbing they put in the ground was 'made in Canada', ripped it all out and replaced it with good old american plastic." Somewhere along the line, they forgot that 1.5 billion dollars a DAY in trade cross the border. Granted that the balance has always been skewed our way due to Natural Gas, Oil, minerals, electricity, and lumber, but they are loosing track of the economics.

And the current Canadian deficit, despite the number is the smallest in developed nations on a GDP to debt ratio. (Something like .5 to over 10 percent for UK, US, Japan etc..Just imagine what the so called coalition would have rung up in a deficit! They would be way more liberal...pun intended.

Maybe we should get Renee Couette outta the grave. When I lived in Quebec in the 60's he wanted to cancel foreign aid for 3 years. There was enough money there for every Canadian family to get 15,000 a year for free and we'd all buy stuff and make ourselves rich. Social Credit party man.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I disagree. We should give them all a fair trial as we hang them.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

I disagree. We should give them all a fair trial as we hang them.

On second thought...screw the trial!!

Mick

Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Quote:

Glenn, just remember that it's the first deficit in 10 years or so, and that the deficit spending is supposed to be on infrastructure. At least ours is open.

And the current Canadian deficit, despite the number is the smallest in developed nations on a GDP to debt ratio. (Something like .5 to over 10 percent for UK, US, Japan etc..Just imagine what the so called coalition would have rung up in a deficit! They would be way more liberal...pun intended.

My first comment is that in spite of the deficit (aimed at bailing out private companies), these companies won't likely survive anyway. Most of us can only keep buying new cars if we get deep into debt - but this is the basic problem with the world's economies right now - we're in debt.

My second comment is that we just got out of debt a few years ago and this collective group of idiots think gov't can solve private enterprise's problems - gov't can't even solve its own problems. And it doesn't seem to matter which group of idiots is in power.

My third comment is that the gov't has no business becoming a shareholder in private enterprise. Unless you come from Saskatchewan where I come from, and the Crown corporations actually turn a profit, so are actually good investments. But the federal gov't being a wise investor - yes, when hell freezes over.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I believe it was the U.S. senate that privatized it's cafeteria a few years back.
When the senate ran it, it lost money every year. The House of Representatives is now considering privatizing it's cafeteria. It has lost money 39 out of the past 41 years!!

These idiots can't even run their own lunch rooms!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
GLEN:
I'm just glad the word debt does not even cross my mind. Now if housing prices bottom out at the same time as oil I'm moving to a trailer park.

I just wish the American dollar would do better, it's killing industry here. And will kill tourism.

I hope what I fear about the tourism vrs America thing doesn't go as I fear. Niagara Falls might as well shut down. We get a lot of Americans here, $50 US for a decent motel room and the only thing more expensive is booze and smokes.

I just explained to the bride that the broken washing machine isn't worth fixing it's 13 years old. Time for a new one. She looked at me funny, I think she's wondering about replacing me.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Quote:

GLENn:
I'm just glad the word debt does not even cross my mind. Now if housing prices bottom out at the same time as oil I'm moving to a trailer park.

I just wish the American dollar would do better, it's killing industry here. And will kill tourism.

I hope what I fear about the tourism vs America thing doesn't go as I fear. Niagara Falls might as well shut down. We get a lot of Americans here, $50 US for a decent motel room and the only thing more expensive is booze and smokes.

I just explained to the bride that the broken washing machine isn't worth fixing it's 13 years old. Time for a new one. She looked at me funny, I think she's wondering about replacing me.

John:

The price of oil is going to be impossible to predict. Not because of the current state of the economy (that just makes it harder to predict - Alberta was rolling in money last year, but are now rolling in debt), but because we've used up about 1/2 of the oil reserves that are practical to recover (there's no point in using 1,000 btu's to get at oil that delivers 1,000 btu's). So many people think we can just keep on drilling and it will be there. Really? What happened to the iron mines in Wisconsin and the copper mines in Montana? I drove through towns called Bessemer, Ironwood and Iron River in 1964, and they were deserted then. Oil will go the same way. On the downside of the oil supply curve things will go nuts - the price will rise sharply causing people to stop driving, which will drive down the price, which will cause people to drive again, driving up the price. But as it runs out, the price will inevitably rise over the long run. Let's get used to it, that's the reality of the future. It took us about 100 years to use 1/2 the oil, but now that we're so good at using it, I wonder how long it will take to run out.

The US dollar will do better when the US gets a bit more out of debt - debt caused by easy credit, and mass consumer spending. Some of our fellow Canucks are smug, but shouldn't be as we're in the same boat, the only difference being that our banks were more tightly controlled and it helped a bit.

As for tourism, it's a multi-million dollar business in Victoria too; and it's going to be a thin year or two or three or more. The tourist industry is complaining about the passport requirements and how it's hurting tourism. What they forget is that most of our customers don't have that much spare change to toss out on travel. I really can't believe that requiring a passport to enter the US is a large hurdle. Today's National cited the cost of $87 US for a passport - that's peanuts compared to the cost of leaving your country for even a few days.

Tourism is dead for a while. Again, let's get used to reality as it is.

I spent most of two weeks in California in March - it was eye-opening and depressing. They and AZ were hit the worst.

Cheers - if that's the word. Good luck on a new washing machine. Maybe the auto plants need to think about manufacturing something we need that the Chinese don't make too well.

Yes, it sounds like doom and gloom, but I'm getting used to it.

Music helps a lot.

Glenn

PS - there was a time when I considered buying GM shares and didn't - today I was told I now I own some.

Last edited by Glenn Kolot; 06/01/09 10:11 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
[quote PS - there was a time when I considered buying GM shares and didn't - today I was told I now I own some.

Does that mean that GM now stands for "Government Motors"?

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Quote:

[quote PS - there was a time when I considered buying GM shares and didn't - today I was told I now I own some.

Does that mean that GM now stands for "Government Motors"?

Eee-yup.

Now that the two federal governments (Canada and the USA) have some say, do you think these companies will get better or worse?

That's a rhetorical question of course (I've read the posts about the cafeterias).

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Kolot; 06/02/09 09:23 PM.
Off-Topic
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
If GM could make a car that lasts five years without major problems, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Like the man said, "ain't that a kick in the head!"
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199