Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
dan2004 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
This may sound a bit unusual but I would like to ask.

When one opens a BIAB file to play, when you click on the play button, BIAB will then initialize all the parameters for that file. If you look in the title bar at the top of the screen you can see a bunch of messages going by very quickly indicating that BIAB is opening the file. It usually take a few seconds. Then, after that initial short wait, the file begins to play. Every time you want to play the file after that, when you press play, BIAB will immediately play the file. The only time one has to wait is when you open it initially.

I plan on possibly purchasing some programmable pedals from PI Engineering. Here is the scenario illustrating how I would like to use the pedals. On the piano, I would play an intro to a tune. Then at a particular moment I would like to step on the pedal and have the tune start immediately with out having to wait for the initialization time. I am fairly certain that the programmable pedals would be able to open and load the file that I choose, as the program merely activates keystrokes that you record into the macro program. Question is: how could I record those keystrokes but not have BIAB play immediately after loading/initializing the file?

Is there a preference somewhere that I could check which would load the tune but not immediately play it until the user clicks on play again?

Thanks,
Dan smile

Veteran
Veteran
The way I understand it, when you first load a song it does both a Generate and Play. If the song is unchanged, any further Play commands should start immediately.

I think you should put a request in the Wishlist to separate the Generate part of the Generate/Play command from the Play part.

However, have you tried freezing the tracks? That makes any subsequent loads of the song start playing MUCH faster.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Freezing the tracks is the way to do it. That will eliminate the generate and then it will only play. You will have to disable the lead in count also to avoide the two bar intros. Should be doable.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

D
dan2004 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Matt & Jazzmandan,

Thanks for your replies. I will try freezing the tracks. However, I do need for the file to start playing immediately after I hit play (step on the foot pedal). This would be in a performance setting and would occur right after an intro...

Thanks,
Dan

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
you may want to look into using the biab conductor, favorites list and\or jukebox features details in the pdf manual manual

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Veteran
Veteran

Go to OPT>PREFS>COUNT-IN/MET>

There is a dropdown menu toward the bottom of the window. Notice that some of the choices say: "Visible Metronome." Experiment with these to see what they do.

Now go to any measure of a BiaB song and press F5. Notice that any of the voices can be muted.

HERE is my idea: Create your song in a such a way that the first 8 bars have all instruments muted AND the visible metronome counting away. You can start the BiaB song, then play your intro in time to the metronome. When BiaB get to bar 9 (or whatever you pick for the length of your intro) the instruments start to sound. Carry on playing along with BiaB for the rest of the song.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Apprentice
Apprentice
Dan,

It seems to me that the answer is fairly simple.

1. Go to Preferences>Display, and in the lower right section where you can choose what the Spacebar key does, choose "Play from start." (This step may not actually be required but I find it to be very convenient.)

2. Here's the important part: also in Preferences>Display, put a check mark in the box labeled "Pause Play Until MIDI or Key received."

Now when you select a song and click on "Play" (or on the spacebar key), the song will load but it won't begin playing until you click on "Play" (or the spacebar key) a second time, but there will be no delay then. It will begin immediately after the second click since the song is already loaded. So you would open the song, then click on Play or Spacebar once to load it before you start playing your intro, and then click on Play or Spacebar again to actually begin the accompaniment after your intro.

And to be able to do this clicking with a footswitch requires a programmable USB footswitch that you can get from Delcom: https://www.delcomproducts.com/ I have been using their footswitches for years and they work great.

Good luck!
Jim

Jim
Psalm 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz
J
Expert
Expert
J
It would be nice in a future release to have the ability to use the space bar to replay the song after the initial load instead of using CTRL-A to do that function. As it stands now, every time you use the space bar, BIAB has to reload the entire song.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: jcland
It would be nice in a future release to have the ability to use the space bar to replay the song after the initial load instead of using CTRL-A to do that function. As it stands now, every time you use the space bar, BIAB has to reload the entire song.

Doesn't work that way here. The first time I hit the space bar it loads the song, the second time it starts playing the song immediately. Try the settings I outlined above.

Jim

Jim
Psalm 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz
U
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
U
Jim,

thank you very much for your precious hint! That's really what I need in playing worship songs in our church services.

The only thing is:

It doensn't work (on my laptop and keyboard).

Well - the song loads and pauses - waiting for the next key stroke.
But then the melody played along on the thru part is completely out of time sync. It takes seconds until the thru part is to be heard! The other parts start as they should - immediately.
No problems when I play the song without the pausing.

Maybe this is related to another problem I encounter since years with the conductor functions (from beginning of this feature):
when I jump to another section, the Real-Styles (not the Midi-Styles nor the RealDrums!) seem to ignore the jump command. When I jump to the end for example, the RealStyles continue - and then, after the rest of the parts have come to the requested end, abruptely they come to a sudden end.

The conductor problem only is with the RealStyles.
But the paused start problem is also with Midi-Styles.

The conductor problem I have since years - with the 3rd laptop in the meantime; and with the second Midi-keyboard. So, the hardware doesn't seem to be the cause.

Help would be very much appreciated!

Greetings from Germany

Ulrich

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 1manband

Doesn't work that way here. The first time I hit the space bar it loads the song, the second time it starts playing the song immediately. Try the settings I outlined above.

Jim

If the song has already been generated, I can use the space bar to "all most" start immediately on the downbeat. Close enough for a jazz arrangement.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Ulrich
Jim,

thank you very much for your precious hint! That's really what I need in playing worship songs in our church services.

The only thing is:

It doesn't work (on my laptop and keyboard).

Well - the song loads and pauses - waiting for the next key stroke.
But then the melody played along on the thru part is completely out of time sync. It takes seconds until the thru part is to be heard! The other parts start as they should - immediately.
No problems when I play the song without the pausing.

Do you have to have the melody playing on the thru part? I use BIAB to lead praise and worship in my place of worship but have never felt the need to do that. The instrument I play "live" is connected directly to the sound system and is totally independent of BIAB, so there are no time sync issues.

Originally Posted By: Ulrich
Maybe this is related to another problem I encounter since years with the conductor functions (from beginning of this feature):
when I jump to another section, the Real-Styles (not the Midi-Styles nor the RealDrums!) seem to ignore the jump command. When I jump to the end for example, the RealStyles continue - and then, after the rest of the parts have come to the requested end, abruptely they come to a sudden end.

The conductor problem only is with the RealStyles.
But the paused start problem is also with Midi-Styles.

Do you have to use the conductor function? I never use it. I understand that not using it means giving up the ability to spontaneously repeat a section of the song with the "band." What I do instead is occasionally repeat part of a song after the band has finished and the song has ended; then I go back and do part of the song again using only the instrument I am playing, usually at a slower tempo. Sometimes I program a repeated section and label it as a reprise of the song and have BIAB play that reprise version after the full song. That way I can repeat part of the song with "the band" and still have my footswitch work the way I want.

Perhaps you could find other ways around these difficulties, but that's where I would start - by eliminating the problems. It's a matter of priority; for me, it is more important to start the song with a footswitch without delay than it is to use the conductor or play the melody through.

Blessings,
Jim

J
Expert
Expert
J
Jim, I think you misunderstood my point. I want the song to play from the beginning (Measure #1) without reloading the data simply by pressing the space bar regardless of where I stopped the song.

When I chose the option "Play from current position, it starts from where ever the song stopped at. If I stop the song on say measure 8 and press the space bar, the song immediately starts on measure 8 without reloading.

What I am looking for is a way to stop the song with the space bar and then restart the song immediately from the beginning (Measure #1) simply by pressing the space bar again. As I see it, BIAB does not do that. The only way to start the song playing again from the beginning without reloading the entire song, is by pressing CTRL-A.

If you have found a way to do this, please let me know how you did it.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Veteran
Veteran
What I am looking for is a way to stop the song with the space bar and then restart the song immediately from the beginning (Measure #1) simply by pressing the space bar again. As I see it, BIAB does not do that.

Of course it does that.

The only way to start the song playing again from the beginning without reloading the entire song, is by pressing CTRL-A.

Go to your preferences to set it to play from beginning with space bar, and be sure you have the tracks frozen otherwise the default appears to be a regen.

Give it a try.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan

Go to your preferences to set it to play from beginning with space bar, and be sure you have the tracks frozen otherwise the default appears to be a regen.

Give it a try.

I agree with the first part of Dan's statement but in my experience, it is not necessary to freeze any tracks as long as you follow my original instructions. The first time you hit the spacebar or footswitch, it will generate the song and pause before playing until you hit the spacebar or footswitch the second time; then it will begin playing from the beginning almost immediately (only a split-second of delay) without regenerating. I don't freeze any tracks and this is how it works for me.

Good luck,
Jim

Veteran
Veteran
Indeed in this case we are both correct! It appears the space bar, when configured in preferences, will play from start, but it does this with a regenerate. Now you can either freeze the track to stop this action OR you can tell it to wait for a midi signal, which can be another space bar. As always in BIAB there are multiple ways of achieving the same thing.

J
Expert
Expert
J
OK, I see the key to the whole dilemma. I have to freeze the song in order to use the space bar to play from the beginning without regenerating.

We still need to see if PG music can add the option of being able to do this without freezing a song in a future upgrade.

It would be nice.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
U
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
U
Hello Jim,

thanks for your answer.
But because I don't have my "live instrument" connected directly to the sound system. It's my controller keyboard which needs the sound generated via biab.
So my priorites are different from yours. But thanks again for your answer.

Greetings from Germany
Ulrich

D
dan2004 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thank you to everyone for your input on my question that started the thread. It appears we may have a hung jury on the solution, so I am going to try and experiment with it by Saturday, 04-19-14. As I understand the responses -

1. We have Jim’s instructions:
• Go to Preferences>Display, and in the lower right section where you can choose what the Spacebar key does, choose "Play from start." (This step may not actually be required but I find it to be very convenient.)
• Here's the important part: also in Preferences>Display, put a check mark in the box labeled "Pause Play Until MIDI or Key received."

2. Then we have jcland’s observation that:
• “As it stands now, every time you use the space bar, BIAB has to reload the entire song.”

3. Jim assures us that hitting the spacebar a second time, with BIAB set up per his instructions, will not cause the file to reload and will start playing immediately with only a split second pause.

4. Then Dan added that the tracks need to be ‘frozen’
• “Go to your preferences to set it to play from beginning with space bar, and be sure you have the tracks frozen otherwise the default appears to be a regen.”

5. Jim then remarks:
• “…….then it will begin playing from the beginning almost immediately (only a split-second of delay) without regenerating. I don't freeze any tracks and this is how it works for me.”

6. Finally, Dan summarizes:
• “Indeed in this case we are both correct! It appears the space bar, when configured in preferences, will play from start, but it does this with a regenerate. Now you can either freeze the track to stop this action OR you can tell it to wait for a midi signal, which can be another space bar.”

So I’ve got some work/experimenting cut out for me. I’m hoping that Jim is correct and that I will be able to set up BIAB per his instructions to
• Load when hitting the spacebar and then wait until I -
• Hit the spacebar again and begin playing from the beginning without a regenerate

One point I am wondering about is the versions of BIAB that everyone is using. I am using 2014. Perhaps there are different results for users in this thread because of the versions that are being used which all may not be the same and possibly have differences in the use of these parameters……

Thanks again for everyone's input. You have all been a tremendous help for this Newbie

Dan

Veteran
Veteran
Gald to help. It did start to seem like we were beating a dead horse. But it was a good way to run my forum post numbers up!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195