Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hello, here is my problem:
i'm running two instances of Biab in order to avoid the silence between a song and the following one. For each song i've selected an Hi-Q patch in Thru channel for playing along by an usb keyboard. On first song (instance 1) thru channel works properly with the assigned sound. On second song (instance 2 of biab) thru channel keeps playing the sound of instance 1 and there is no way to get it playing the sound assigned for this song.
Is there a way to solve this? blush

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I can't think of what would cause that. To simplify the problem a little, could you try the same thing with a track other than the Thru track? e.g. in each instance of BB, select the same STY, then select a Hi-Q instrument for the Piano track (select an organ in one instance of BB, and a bass in the other so the difference is clear).

Perhaps you could give us more details about your MIDI and audio driver settings as well.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Andrew, thanks for replying.
I've made that test on a different track and it works. Not yet on the thru track.
Midi-audio setup is:

midi input: irig keys (i did try with another keyboard also, without fortune)

midi output: microsoft midi mapper

audio drivers are set on Behringer usb audio.

What other info do you need?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Are you using ASIO or MME drivers (audio settings window)?

When you play on the Thru track, are you sure that you are in fact hearing the Hi-Q sounds? i.e. the sounds played by the SampleTank DXi synth.

Thru playback can be routed differently depending on whether the song is playing/stopped, and whether using MME/ASIO drivers. There are also two settings that affect this: "ASIO always on" (audio drivers dialog) and 'Route MIDI Thru to MIDI driver" (MIDI Driver Setup dialog)

In any case, to verify if you are hearing SampleTank and not some other MIDI device, you can:
1. Click the Plugins button --> DXi Synth Settings.
2. Choose the Thru track. Provided you have a Hi-Q instrument selected on the Thru track, you should see the SampleTank synth appear.
3. Play some notes by clicking on the Thru piano in Band-in-a-Box, or by playing your keyboard. If you see no activity in SampleTank, then you are not hearing Hi-Q instruments...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
> Are you using ASIO or MME drivers (audio settings window)?

ASIO

> When you play on the Thru track, are you sure that you are in fact hearing the Hi-Q sounds? i.e. the sounds played by the SampleTank DXi synth.

Yes, i'm sure of that.

> Thru playback can be routed differently depending on whether the song is playing/stopped, and whether using MME/ASIO drivers. There are also two settings that affect this: "ASIO always on" (audio drivers dialog) and 'Route MIDI Thru to MIDI driver" (MIDI Driver Setup dialog)

I've tried to check and uncheck both, without fortune.

So this is not a general issue? It happens on my system only? cry

Anyway thanks again for your support!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Well, in my testing with MME drivers, it works 'as expected'. I play the keyboard in a particular instance of BB, and it plays through the instance of the SampleTank DXi synth that is loaded on the thru track of that instance of BB. I couldn't test with ASIO, because I'm not able to use ASIO in multiple programs.

It's unlikely that it happens only on your specific system. More likely it's just a combination of settings and the way you are doing it. For testing purposes, try MME and see if your results are the same.

Also, you could simplify this problem further by seeing if the same thing happens on the Thru track for a regular patch. (i.e. not Hi-Q)

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
> For testing purposes, try MME and see if your results are the same.

I've unplugged the behringer usb audio device for this test, since it works with Asio drivers only, and used the headphone output of my laptop. Set audio drivers on MME:

- With vst/dxi synth activated, first instance plays well, second instance doesn't play at all (thru channel)

- With vst/dxi synth off, and using regular midi sounds, again i got on second instance the same sound of first instance.

Will do further tests today and let you know.
Thanks for now

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Try going to File -- Save song with patches and harmony, and see if "Save thru settings with songs" is checked. Could it be that simple? Hopefully...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Try going to File -- Save song with patches and harmony, and see if "Save thru settings with songs" is checked. Could it be that simple? Hopefully...

I wish it did, but no happy news here.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What about if instead of playing your external MIDI keyboard, you play notes on the Thru virtual piano in Band-in-a-Box (Piano tab of the Mixer window)?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
What about if instead of playing your external MIDI keyboard, you play notes on the Thru virtual piano in Band-in-a-Box (Piano tab of the Mixer window)?

Yes, it works properly in this way. Should this mean it is a hardware problem?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I suppose it is because your MIDI input driver is still connected to the first instance of BB. Before starting your second song, try going to Opt. | MIDI Driver Setup and press OK...

Another tip if you want to see what is going on, is to use the MIDI Monitor (under the MIDI button in the top toolbar). Filter it to only show channel 5 (which is the thru channel by default). Also filter Events to only show Note on, Note off, Program Change, and Control Change. Then filter Controls to only show #0 and #32. The result of this is to only show notes and patch changes on the Thru channel.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I suppose it is because your MIDI input driver is still connected to the first instance of BB. Before starting your second song, try going to Opt. | MIDI Driver Setup and press OK...

It doesn't work, but i've tried to unplug and plug again the usb cable of midi keyboard before playing the second song, and it get thru channel playing the right sound. Might this be a little help in understanding?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, that makes sense and I should of realized what was happening earlier. So you do need to release the driver from the first BB instance, and unplugging is one way to do that.

There is another way I thought of, but you need to route different MIDI channels to each BB, and you need to change the channel your keyboard is using between songs. There are a variety of free MIDI utilities out there. I haven't done a thorough check for what the most current utilities are, but one that's been around a long time is MIDI Ox. This program allows you to select your USB keyboard for MIDI input, and then route specific channels to specific MIDI outputs. You'll also need to install a 'virtual MIDI cable' which allows you to connect two applications together and pipe MIDI data between them. MIDI Yoke was typically used for this purpose.

I did try this out and it worked for me. The programs are a little old though, and I'm not sure if they work on 64-bit - so your mileage may vary. I used MIDI Yoke 1 for the first BB, and MIDI Yoke 2 for the second BB. I routed all channels except channel 9 to BB1, and all channels except 5 to BB2. Then all I needed to do was select either channel 9 or 5 on my keyboard to determine which BB I was playing through.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200