Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Its my opinion that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with playing for free as long as you don't think you are being taken advantage of.

I can't believe some of the comments here, where is the good natured intentions of doing something just because you want to and because you enjoy it? rather then being all wrapped up in getting a materialistic reward (and maybe you already being a millionaire but still preaching the sad, I'm just scraping by getting a living, some of us are able to read between the lines)

In Ireland there are lots of "sessions" where people just turn up at a pub to play traditional Irish music just because they love it, and no money exchanges hands. It may well be that the pub sells a lot of beer at those sessions but hey the musicians don't expect any money

Also the GAA here the Gaelic athletic Association have amateur status (Irish Football) where the players give their time and efforts for nothing just for the love of the game. Some of the matches at Irelands Croke park in Dublin are in front of 80,000 people plus and genenrate millions of pounds which is put back into the development of the association and to help and train young players. Yet all the palyers and officials give all their time for no monetary reward.

Its a sad sad world when people are only thinking of money all the time, especially when they are older folks that should know better.

You can't bring it with you when you go.

Play for free if you want to, its your choice and let no one make you feel guilty for doing so.

My thoughts
Musiclover

Very well said Musiclover! Most of us here in the US share your views too! Where I grew up it was (and still is today) quite common for folks to come together, on a porch or in a bar or wherever, and play for the pure enjoyment of it! And if someone thinks that is preventing them from getting paid for a gig they need to go look for a real job and stop blaming others for their problems! smile

So now you speak for 'most' of us, Bugsey? grin

A 'real job'? Like yours, perhaps? Neurosurgery? Nuclear Physics? grin

You elevate pathos to a new level. grin

why do you always resort to name-calling? I can certainly respond in kind as your "quips" are never really that clever. but it would be better to have a conversation without the name-calling, don't you think?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In addition to what Notes said, I've found that the majority of "play for free players" are not up to the standards of what I consider good musicians. I've lived and worked in many cities and can say with certainty that all of the players who I consider good are always working. It's usually sub-standard musicians who will play for free or next to nothing. I practiced and studied many years to reach a level that I consider decent. Anyone who wants to be called a musician should do no less. Also the practicing and studying is always on-going. No-one would accept a sub-standard plumber or carpenter to do work on their house. Why accept a sub-standard musician? Later, Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 05/24/14 01:27 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Its my opinion that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with playing for free as long as you don't think you are being taken advantage of.

I can't believe some of the comments here, where is the good natured intentions of doing something just because you want to and because you enjoy it? rather then being all wrapped up in getting a materialistic reward (and maybe you already being a millionaire but still preaching the sad, I'm just scraping by getting a living, some of us are able to read between the lines)

In Ireland there are lots of "sessions" where people just turn up at a pub to play traditional Irish music just because they love it, and no money exchanges hands. It may well be that the pub sells a lot of beer at those sessions but hey the musicians don't expect any money

Also the GAA here the Gaelic athletic Association have amateur status (Irish Football) where the players give their time and efforts for nothing just for the love of the game. Some of the matches at Irelands Croke park in Dublin are in front of 80,000 people plus and genenrate millions of pounds which is put back into the development of the association and to help and train young players. Yet all the palyers and officials give all their time for no monetary reward.

Its a sad sad world when people are only thinking of money all the time, especially when they are older folks that should know better.

You can't bring it with you when you go.

Play for free if you want to, its your choice and let no one make you feel guilty for doing so.

My thoughts
Musiclover

Very well said Musiclover! Most of us here in the US share your views too! Where I grew up it was (and still is today) quite common for folks to come together, on a porch or in a bar or wherever, and play for the pure enjoyment of it! And if someone thinks that is preventing them from getting paid for a gig they need to go look for a real job and stop blaming others for their problems! smile

So now you speak for 'most' of us, Bugsey? grin

A 'real job'? Like yours, perhaps? Neurosurgery? Nuclear Physics? grin

You elevate pathos to a new level. grin

why do you always resort to name-calling? I can certainly respond in kind as your "quips" are never really that clever. but it would be better to have a conversation without the name-calling, don't you think?

What name did I call you? "Bugsey? That's your other handle on JPF, is it not? You know, where you run down BIAB, this forum, and the people on it?

'Respond in kind'? Really? Like calling me "Chuckles"? Absolutely scathing retort there. grin

Perhaps you should rethink your participation in this particular 'conversation', since you have no experience in the music business, and offer nothing but vindictive conjecture? There's no shame in being ignorant, but one really shouldn't display it so publicly, no? laugh

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
What name did I call you? "Bugsey? That's your other handle on JPF, is it not? You know, where you run down BIAB, this forum, and the people on it?

oh, now I see! you think I am the guy called Bugsey who spanked you over at JPF! well that is friggin' priceless! and here I thought the name Bugsey meant something derogatory. nope, sorry I cannot take credit for setting you straight over at JPF!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/24/14 11:38 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

oh, now I see! you think I am the guy called Bugsey who spanked you over at JPF! well that is friggin' priceless! and here I thought the name Bugsey meant something derogatory. nope, sorry I cannot take credit for setting you straight over at JPF!

You have already copped to your other persona, Mr. Bugsey. You must have forgotten that. Funny how I was called "Chuckles" by both people, no? grin

The BIAB thread on JPF makes for some interesting reading though.

http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1012945/page/1#Post1012945

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Please take the flame wars to PMs.

However, I disagree -- I think I speak for most of us - and neither one can prove that point so neither one has a valid argument by saying that.

Statements like that are best left out of a debate so I retract mine because it can't be proven and negate yours.

I also agree that MOST open mic nights offer inferior entertainment. The musicians that play for free are usually not as good (not always) and the groups are not rehearsed.

Perhaps it will end up being a bad business model and the club owners will realize that they get what they pay for.

If a restaurant buys inferior cuts of meat or wilted lettuce, customers will go elsewhere.

If the restaurant underpays the cooks it will only get inferior food preparation and customers will eventually go elsewhere.

If the bar asked its bartenders and waiters/waitresses to work on tips only, they would only get inferior bartenders and wait staff and the customers will eventually go elsewhere.

If the club gets freebie musicians the quality of entertainment will be inferior and pretty soon the general public will hopefully get tired of all the same songs done in various shades of mediocrity and go elsewhere.

And sure, playing music together on front porches, garages, public parks, living rooms, warehouses, and so on are a time honored tradition, one which I have participated in many times.

But playing in a commercial establishment for free is a different thing. Stealing a job from a fellow musician by playing for free is something I would never do. It's a "do unto others" thing for me.

That's all I'm saying and all I'm going to say about the subject. We've gotten to the point where we are just repeating ourselves and have come to an impasse.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Very well stated Notes and I totally agree.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

You have already copped to your other persona, Mr. Bugsey. You must have forgotten that. Funny how I was called "Chuckles" by both people, no? grin

The BIAB thread on JPF makes for some interesting reading though.

http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1012945/page/1#Post1012945

Nope! You got the wrong guy. (I took the rest of my comment to PM as Notes suggested! smile )

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/25/14 08:25 AM.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
The musicians that play for free are usually not as good (not always) and the groups are not rehearsed.

I'd certainly agree with that (and been there/done that)! But that is the whole point of an open mic, at least to me. It is an opportunity for amateurs to get up on stage and have a little fun. And the crowd generally knows what they are getting and everyone is happy!

But playing in a commercial establishment for free is a different thing. Stealing a job from a fellow musician by playing for free is something I would never do. It's a "do unto others" thing for me.

Hmm, the union musicians in your area might say you were stealing their jobs by not supporting their union!

We've gotten to the point where we are just repeating ourselves and have come to an impasse.

Agreed! smile

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/25/14 11:26 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My takeaway from this thread is that the paradigm has shifted.. and my thoughts going forward will be about how to identify new opportunities and adapt to them.

I am currently involved in similar discussions on other sites, and I see a common theme of getting lost in the worldwide glut of digital media that divides potential income too many ways.

There is a clear need for someone to market creative content in a way that empowers the creators and helps them stand out in the crowd.

Maybe when my son's streaming site comes online we can differentiate ourselves by finding new ways to promote our performers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It stabs this old Irishman in the heart to read such garbage on PG Forums.

Someone may simply point me toward the exit, which I had already done, as far as this thread is concerned, at least. I've been enjoying these forums for many years (probably around 2001) and I've never witnessed anything like this claptrap.

Taking it to PMs is only a baby-step which allows the injury to remain open. Fellow musicians, give this tune a 128 bar rest!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
My takeaway from this thread is that the paradigm has shifted.. and my thoughts going forward will be about how to identify new opportunities and adapt to them.

I am currently involved in similar discussions on other sites, and I see a common theme of getting lost in the worldwide glut of digital media that divides potential income too many ways.

There is a clear need for someone to market creative content in a way that empowers the creators and helps them stand out in the crowd.

Maybe when my son's streaming site comes online we can differentiate ourselves by finding new ways to promote our performers.

Hope he does well Pat as I am sure he stands a good chance with his "ole fella" with some great ideas like you behind him.

At the same time reading this, the thought occurred would some who are against playing for free, even consider that site of your sons (as well as streetjelly) in the same league as playing for free, maybe it would be beneath them to accept a few tips like on SJ in lieu of payment, I don't know!!

As regards the generalisation that most sub standared musicians are the ones playing for free, then I say good luck to them.

Whoever said that we all have to be of a level of musicmanship before we are allowed to go in front of an audience. That it totally crazy!

Are the so called pro's (just wondering how many know of them beyond their local area anyway) only allowed to enjoy the clap or appreciation of an audience and the rest of us of a lessor standard should be locked away?

I don't think so.

musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 05/25/14 01:20 PM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
At the same time reading this, the thought occurred would some who are against playing for free, even consider that site of your sons (as well as streetjelly) in the same league as playing for free, maybe it would be beneath them to accept a few tips like on SJ in lieu of payment, I don't know!!

Notes made the definitive statement on this subject when he pointed out that each venue has its own characteristic music offering.. some employ only full bands, some prefer singles acts, some prefer DJs etc etc. The guy in a duo or singles act is not directly competing in the same marketplace as the full band. Likewise, people playing on streaming sites are not competing directly with musicians playing in the neighborhood.

Physical venues like pubs, restaurants, theaters etc have a finite space and time slot, and they appeal to a strictly local audience.

The streaming sites appeal to an audience that is probably not going out for live entertainment anyway... so rather than stealing something from the live acts, this is more like opening the door to an entirely untapped audience.

Also, the physicals sites have a handful of spots in the current time zone to divvy up among many competing musicians... but the streaming sites are open 24-7, and its always show time SOMEWHERE... so streaming actually creates new performance opportunities that didn't exist at all before.

That's why, if you play the circuit of all the streaming sites you can find, you could literally play all day long continuously because at any given time of day somebody somewhere just got off work and wants to hear some live music

Regarding the pay: a little bit of money multiplied by a lot of opportunities is more than a lot of money multiplied by no opportunities.

Unlike the physical locations that can turn away acts all day long because they don't have enough spots for them, the streaming sites are hungry for performers, because there are no limitations of time or space.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
As regards the generalisation that most sub standared musicians are the ones playing for free, then I say good luck to them.

Whoever said that we all have to be of a level of musicmanship before we are allowed to go in front of an audience. That it totally crazy!

Are the so called pro's (just wondering how many know of them beyond their local area anyway) only allowed to enjoy the clap or appreciation of an audience and the rest of us of a lessor standard should be locked away?

I don't think so.

So say we all! (otherwise known as Amen!)

I can understand folks like Notes and 90db being against performers taking paying gigs away from working musicians. What I don’t understand is ANYONE being against “open mic nights”.

Plain and simple, …it’s ridiculous to take that stance! 99% of the folks playing there are never going to be competing with professional players. They’re just wanting to play their music before a live audience and get some feedback.

For me, … I have NO interest whatsoever of listening to someone playing cover songs with backing tracks. I would much rather hear a solo artist play an original song in a mediocre manner than listen to a solid performance of someone playing tired old covers of hit songs from the past.

Let’s face it. If it’s a cover band with backing tracks at a club/restaurant, …no one is listening anyway. It’s just “background music”, … a close relative to elevator music!

If you can get someone to pay you for doing that, then more power to you!

But you can count me out as a listener.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just for the record, it s not the musicians who play the open mics for me as it is more the "lure" the establishment used to get them there. Then on top of that they, while adding dollars to their bottom-line, do not offer even expense money to the performer. And of course I am well aware that the performer has to agree to the "deal" to be present. But one has to agree this is a one way deal with little to no incentive for the performer.

Last week I spoke at length to another single act musician who just started playing the same corporate circuit that I do and he asked me what kind of pay he could expect, if I did not mind telling him. Of course I was happy to do so as I truly feel that if we as musicians communicated more openly about this issue it would benefit all of us.

So when I told him the average fee his contemporaries were getting at the same venues, it turned out it was 25% - 35% more than he was charging. Instead of the "hey man thanks for that heads up" I was expecting he said great I'll keep my price lower so I can still get the gigs. And that attitude is what my gut tells me is what is happening everywhere these days.

No right or wrong thing to do in this situation the finally decision as to when and what one must charge for their services is truly a personal thing. However if it is truly an act of love to "play just to play" I would encourage please check out the many venues who do not sell food and beverage and entertain at these places and you will find the warmest most appreciative audiences known to man.

My opinion on this subject, like many of my respected colleagues here, has not changed. With this said I will close my participation on this thread with a old quote I saw on an antique Jack Daniels bottle . . . "all goods worth price charged".

Now lets play some music!

Later,

Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
Journeyman
K
Being a votary of the charities, and especially for our fighting men and women, I'm with you 100%, Danny. By the way, I've heard that same benighted statement, "You come in and build up a crowd and then we'll talk money", many times before. I usually follow that up with "You let me drink beer for free until you build up my confidence that you're a nice place to drink, then we'll talk paying for the beer". LOL

PS.... I like the image you're running on your FB page.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
“For me, … I have NO interest whatsoever of listening to someone playing cover songs with backing tracks. I would much rather hear a solo artist play an original song in a mediocre manner than listen to a solid performance of someone playing tired old covers of hit songs from the past.”

'Tired old covers'? You obviously haven't seen the Sophisticats or 90 dB perform live, Bobo. grin

“Let’s face it. If it’s a cover band with backing tracks at a club/restaurant, …no one is listening anyway. It’s just “background music”, … a close relative to elevator music!”

While I grant you that cover songs aren't as captivating as the subtle intricacies of G/C/D bluegrass tunes, most club patrons would disagree with your assessment. Probably all the ones singing along, and certainly the ones out on the dance floor. I've never seen anyone dancing in an elevator. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
“For me, … I have NO interest whatsoever of listening to someone playing cover songs with backing tracks. I would much rather hear a solo artist play an original song in a mediocre manner than listen to a solid performance of someone playing tired old covers of hit songs from the past.”

'Tired old covers'? You obviously haven't seen the Sophisticats or 90 dB perform live, Bobo. grin

“Let’s face it. If it’s a cover band with backing tracks at a club/restaurant, …no one is listening anyway. It’s just “background music”, … a close relative to elevator music!”

While I grant you that cover songs aren't as captivating as the subtle intricacies of G/C/D bluegrass tunes, most club patrons would disagree with your assessment. Probably all the ones singing along, and certainly the ones out on the dance floor. I've never seen anyone dancing in an elevator. grin

Thanks for the invite.

I love to see and hear people perform. Maybe your good self and Notes Norton have a youtube page where we could take in the atmosphere of your performance.

I would love to click on the link for that, only way really is its much too far for me to travel.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
http://www.90dbband.com/index.html

Bob Norton will have to give you his site. I would not take that liberty.
If you ever do get to Florida, stop by and we'll have a few.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
90db and musiclover,

I knew when I made that post that I was inviting some grief. Thank both of you for making that dream come true. Hehe.

Sorry guys, but I hate listening to vocal cover tunes unless they’re totally redone. I also hate playing what people want to hear! The only time I’ll play a request is if it’s from a friend who knows the songs I like to play.

That’s why I never pursued playing music professionally except on a very limited basis. I honestly don’t give a rat’s a*s what anyone wants to hear!

I’ve played guitar since I was a kid. Eventually, I got to the point where I could play half way decent. Then I started getting requests from local bands to “join” their band. I wasn’t interested because I had NO desire to try to please the public with cover tunes.

Since I’ve never tried making a living playing music, I’ve enjoyed the luxury of only playing songs I like. Then I started writing my own songs, and I honestly didn’t care if anyone else liked them or not.

The songs weren’t for the general public. They were for me. When I played them, folks could either listen or take a hike. It didn’t matter to me since it wasn’t a form of income.

The exception to the “cover tune” scenario for me was great instrumental tunes. Those I enjoyed.

Bob, If you think modern bluegrass/newgrass is G/C/D, then you’re TOTALLY out of touch with acoustic music.

I don’t begrudge working musicians playing the garbage required to get gigs, but I do reserve the right to stay as far away from it as possible.

I'd rather hear a local radio program or the original versions of hit tunes.

I don't want to hear a single or duo with backing tracks.

But that's just me. This thread does make me realize why live cover music is almost dead.

Who wants to hear that?! I don't unless it's done with a full blown band.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,529
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200