Floyd tunes henceforth !:))

Take care
Dani

floyd jane #251060 05/25/14 04:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

I listened to the simpler arrangement first (a couple of times in fact). Straight off the bat I must say I think I do prefer the simpler one. The other one is definitely growing on me though.

Interesting to see how the same song with the same melody can come out so different with different arrangements. Take home lesson for me is to be more adventurous with my arrangements.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
floyd jane #251063 05/25/14 04:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really like both versions, but I do prefer the full production over the simple one.

The boys in the shed are already bootlegging this one. grin

floyd jane #251140 05/25/14 02:35 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
The production on the "electric" version is beyond reproach, but the acoustic version suits the lyrics better to me.

Well done!

floyd jane #251307 05/27/14 04:43 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Yep, winners!

You can tell how much we enjoy the song because both versions get a thumbs up...from me too. The drums in the original version are fantastic.

Your vocals are righteous, love the lyrics of the chorus Floyd.

floyd jane #251347 05/27/14 07:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
DA - thanks for the revisit and the re-eval - appreciate that...

Charlie - thanks for that...

Alan - thanks for the listen... it does, of course, depend on your intent what type instrumentation or feel you give a particular song. And it seems, from the comments, that this one shows that different types of treatment can be appreciated in different ways... hope Di is feeling better...

floyd jane #251383 05/27/14 12:21 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Richard - I'm glad you "stuck your neck out" - it has been interesting to get feedback on two different versions. Tell Shirley-Louise that when I get to New Zealand, I'm coming to see her!

Tom - thanks for all of that. this one was sort of all about the arrangement - after having done the first version and feeling like I wanted "something different" it was a very conscious effort to lay that one out...

Herb - thanks. glad you like it.

Josie - thanks for the listen. it was all built around that line from the start...

floyd jane #251384 05/27/14 12:29 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sonny - thanks for the return trip. it has been fun to see how the two different versions play against each other... it's nice to have a tool (BIAB) that allows you to do that...

Guenter - thanks... appreciate that...

Greg - Thanks for "all the love".... finishing on the 5 was because of where the song began - as more a plaintive songwriter song as opposed to a resolute singer's song - which the bigger production became. Had it started there, it likely would have gone back to the 1...

floyd jane #251443 05/27/14 09:53 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
<my$.02>

Musically, I much prefer the more upbeat version.

Specifically, I liked the strong beat (thanks for telling how you created the sound), the choice of instruments, and I thought the guitar solo you put together sounded like something a guitar player would put to this song. Good job on that! I know you put a lot of effort into crafting those parts.

But I thought the simpler version suited the lyrics better. To me the lyrics came across as the kind of introspective thoughts that one normally ponders when things are quiet.. maybe late in the day when a little tired mournfulness creeps into the thought processes.

The more upbeat version didn't fit the frame of mind *I* would be in if I were thinking thoughts as portrayed by those lyrics.

There is an upbeat aspect to the lyrics in the form of a desire to recreate the past and get it right this time... but it's an unrealized success.. considered, but not fulfilled in the course of the song. A driving beat like that suggests something good happening NOW. REALLY good... testosterone good.

The two versions are different enough to just go ahead and say they're different songs. That way you could keep the simpler song with the reflective lyrics, and for the upbeat song write new lyrics that are dripping with fresh adrenaline and sweat

</my$.02>

floyd jane #251503 05/28/14 07:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dani - you crack me up! thanks for the listen...

Joanne - thanks for dropping by! It has been interesting to see the different reactions to the two versions...

Bob - you're such a big-production-kind-of-guy!!! So... are they putting BOTH version on???????

Lawrence - thanks for the listen (and the "vote") smile ...

Scott - appreciate all that... I'm on a drum crusade, ya know...

floyd jane #251510 05/28/14 07:54 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat -

I am quite pleased that you came by for a listen and a comment... for 2 reasons... you are always so perceptive... and you are "to blame" for this...

I was working on the 1st version of this when you started the "songwriting" discussion - which led to discussions about "the current trends" in Country music.

I never really finished that first version (never intended to post it).
I was never satisfied with the sound of the acoustic guitars in it...
As the "current sound" discussion progressed, I decided to switch gears... How would this be done by "the producer" as opposed to how would this be done as a "songwriter's demo". Since almost everything gets that "big" thing applied these days, I went down that path...

And that often happens. If you happen to hear the writer do their version at the Bluebird, it is often a very different song than what ended up on the radio...

And... in fact, I wrote this in "one of those moments" that you describe...

"...the kind of introspective thoughts that one normally ponders when things are quiet.. maybe late in the day when a little tired mournfulness creeps into the thought processes."

It started looking back on something very specific that I "would have done different if I could do it all again". And it had that "pensive, mournful" attitude to it. I turned it into a "lost love" song, because, in the end, everything has to be about love....

So... Thanks! for all of that!... I enjoyed the journey (and I may just try out the idea of writing a new lyric to the bigger production...)

floyd

floyd jane #251678 05/28/14 03:35 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd.

After all that's been said, do you really need me to wade in at the end? Well, you got it anyway!

Generally great, as usual. Listened to both versions and definitely came down on the side of those who preferred the full backing. Everything about the production and performance is polished and professional, as are all your tracks these days and the lyrics are excellent.

So why only "generally" great? One or two people picked up on the solo - Gregg and Herb I think - and that's the only aspect which I thought was suspect. For me, it wasn't so much the reverb, or the guitar sound, as the phrasing. Whilst I've become a great fan of RTs recently, I think one has to be very careful that solos, particularly guitar, don't have phrasing which sounds unnatural for the instrument. In this case I found it hard to imagine anyone playing that solo. It still had the feel of several solos spliced together to fit the chords and some of the transitions appeared a bit uneasy.

It's rare for me to find anything to criticise in your tracks, so I hope you'll forgive me this time!

Still waiting for the Rock Ballad!

ROG.

floyd jane #251682 05/28/14 03:40 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,

I think that's considerably better... maybe a little delay (250-300ms) would help as well.

My summer yard-work business is in full swing, so that cuts my songwriting and my BIAB time way back. frown However...I'll be back in full force come Fall/Winter time. grin

I'll be checking in periodically just to see what ya all been doing. wink

Take Care,

Greg

floyd jane #251737 05/28/14 09:12 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Rog said: Whilst I've become a great fan of RTs recently, I think one has to be very careful that solos, particularly guitar, don't have phrasing which sounds unnatural for the instrument. In this case I found it hard to imagine anyone playing that solo. It still had the feel of several solos spliced together to fit the chords and some of the transitions appeared a bit uneasy.

well, since you weighed in with exactly the opposite opinion as I did, a slight rebuttal seems in order.

I agree that the guitar passage Floyd assembled is not "standard fare"... but that's exactly what I like about it. I've been listening to a couple of bands whose guitar players somehow manage to avoid the standard guitar cliches and play something that fits, yet is different... and it is in that context that I said it sounded like something a guitar player would play... maybe not MOST guitar players.. but I can easily imagine a real guitar player playing that passage.

floyd jane #251742 05/28/14 09:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

I hope you already know how much I enjoy all of your songs.. you have it all, everything I could ever aspire to is already firmly in your possession and polished beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve.

But even more than the music itself, I love to hear your thoughts behind the choices you make with each new song.

I can't wait to hear whatever lyrics you appropriate to the upbeat song... I have a feeling that I'll need a chin pad to keep it from getting bruised when it hits the floor

floyd jane #251754 05/29/14 12:47 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Pat.

It was only an opinion, an alternative view if you wish and was in no way intended as a challenge to your own opinion. It would be a dull world if we all shared the same one. No offence intended.

ROG.

ROG #251808 05/29/14 09:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey Pat.

It was only an opinion, an alternative view if you wish and was in no way intended as a challenge to your own opinion. It would be a dull world if we all shared the same one. No offence intended.

ROG.

no offense taken! wink

Rog, you are one of my favorite people on the forum... I didn't take your observations as anything but a differing point of view.. and certainly not as a challenge... BUT...

when I see a diametrically opposing point of view from somebody whose opinion I respect and whose opinions usually line up with mine, it does cause me to step back and reconsider my reasoning.

My followup post was probably just an exercise in insecurity on my part. If that's the dumbest thing I do today, then life is good! Thanks for all the goodwill and musical wisdom you bring to this forum! Please never change!

(sorry for hijacking your thread Floyd... now we resume with the regularly scheduled programming...)

floyd jane #251839 05/29/14 11:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Greg - thanks for the 2nd look - and the delay setting - it's not something that I am familiar with (an acoustic guy...) so that gives me a place to start...

ROG and Pat - I am enjoying this discussion, too (ROG - no need to ever apologize for a critique - I welcome them - and I will let you know if I disagree... and hopefully you can handle that - seems there are those who can't!!!)

There was no obvious choice for the lead part to this - and so, it was a case of "building one" - also adding some Guitar Rig to what BIAB gave me, trying to get it to sit in there... often, what happens in these cases is ... at first I'm not sure if it works - and I keep tweaking and tweaking and... eventually, I think I become accustom to hearing it and it seems "okay"... it becomes familiar through multiple listens... so I guess it could always be debated if "that guy played the right thing"... you know, one of those endless college dorm room debates...or barroom debates...

It could be labeled "innovation" smile

I will continue to try to smooth it out....

Thanks, guys!

floyd jane #251880 05/29/14 04:39 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Things we like:

- Stellar lead vocal
- Harmony vocals
- arrangement (BOTH of them!)
- Lyric - particularly what the chorus says
- RT choice
- The "it can all be heard and sits perfectly" mix

Things we would change:

floyd jane #252244 06/01/14 05:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, A LOT of great advice has already been given. I just have a few simple comments.

I really like this song all the way around! It's simple, which I think helps you to relate right away. From writing to lyrics, you just "get it". Don't confuse my use of "simple" as meaning not well crafted. To me, simple is often the hardest thing to do! (I think I may use that as a lyric...thanks for the inspiration!)

Now the part I am the MOST impressed with is, there is a timeless quality about this song. That you can strip it down or add to it shows the base of it is right. I could see this recorded as either classic country, or fit just as well with a current artist. Again this speaks to a well craft simple song!

Thank you so much for sharing this! It's was really great to hear!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195