Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#251967 - 05/30/14 08:38 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: 90 dB]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Loc: NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
You guys are rippin' Lawrie!

Too old? It takes a long time to get that good! grin

Ahh, bob, Maaate... You are my friend forever wink

I never played any improv at all until I was in my late 40's - if I didn't have a chart in front of me I had no idea at all! Then I did a couple of terms at the local conservatorium trying to learn the basics of Jazz improvisation - we covered basic harmonisation and the blues scale - that got me started - maybe one day I'll be able to say I'm starting to "get it" but in the meantime I'm gonna spend the rest of my life learning how smile

#251968 - 05/30/14 08:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
You couldn't pick a nicer spot to play either. Oz is on my bucket list, but my old bucket's getting pretty full. grin

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#251972 - 05/30/14 09:17 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: 90 dB]
babarton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
You guys are rippin' Lawrie!

Too old? It takes a long time to get that good! grin

Regards,

Bob

+1 - if I have any more fun today than the 4 minutes of that, I've had a pretty good day

Bruce
BIAB for Mac 2018

#251977 - 05/30/14 10:04 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: 90 dB]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

You couldn't pick a nicer spot to play either. Oz is on my bucket list, but my old bucket's getting pretty full. grin

Come on down - I'm sure we could find a bed somewhere, might be on the lounge though smile

#251978 - 05/30/14 10:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: babarton]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: babarton

+1 - if I have any more fun today than the 4 minutes of that, I've had a pretty good day

Bruce

Hey Bruce - Be jealous mate, Wednesday mornings usually go for about 2 1/2 hours laugh

I think this might answser the OP's question - no, you're NEVER too old to start playin' gigs smile

#251982 - 05/30/14 10:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Being in a band is like being married without the sex. You have the intimate family relationship without the intimate contact.

In the bands that I've been in that have had female members, the rule was "No hanky panky - hands off" to both. It's the only way that will work. Even if the members are homosexual, the same rule should apply.

In the two bands that I was in with female members, the guys ended up being like big brothers to the girls and tried to protect them (sometimes a bit too much).

As far as wives are concerned, the first time a wife interferes, even if it's just a little bit, it's time for a band meeting and to nip that in the bud. In the bands I've been in, all wife (or other non-band partner), suggestions can be made to the band member they are mated with, in private, and if the suggestion is worthy, the band member can bring it up at a band meeting or rehearsal.

There are a lot of pitfalls and a lot of joy to being in a full band, and to avoid the problems the rules should be set out and agreed upon up front. And when a problem occurs, it should be nipped in the bud and not let go to extremes.

Of course, great tact is involved in bringing up problems to the floor as you don't want to start a shouting match.

I played in a road band for a few years, the one that almost got signed to Motown, and the rules were set up front by a more experienced member of the group who confronted those problems before. During the years we were together, two of us got married, and the wives were never a problem. Neither was the female member of the band. What eventually broke the band up was when Motown quit talking to us because our lawyers expected us to actually get a piece of the potential profits instead of working for what would amount to union scale.

I've been in other bands that make Internet flame wars seem like a child's game in comparison. Those are the bands I left.

If you plan to join a band, the think you need to remember is, what we do is called playing music. It should be serious fun, but if it isn't fun and playful, it's not worth it.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#251997 - 05/30/14 12:34 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Lawrie,

as the camera panned around, I half expected to see Obi Wan and Han Solo at a table in the corner negotiating business arrangements on the milennium falcon...

on a more serious note, y'all sound awesome! Thanks for adding your favorable 2 cents to the original question!

#252039 - 05/30/14 06:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Sonny Ray Offline
Enthusiast

Lawrie, Love the vid'...having fun is what it's all about. Thanks for posting - I could almost smell the surf and hear the waves crash.

#252097 - 05/30/14 09:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Hi Pat,
some of the people that come I could almost agree about Obi Wan and Han wink

Thanks for the lovely compliment about our playing too. Jack, on the bass, has been playing for so long I think he knows every tune that's ever been written! Vince, clarinet (and sax) has played for a very long time too - I've learned a lot just from litening to these two guys.

Our normal bass player, Ian, also plays a bunch of other instruments, including a button accordeon that he sometimes brings. "La Vie en Rose" never sounded so good wink

Rob, usual drummer (not in the vid), played in the RAN for decades. He knows 'em all too and has a great feel, but he sure can be a grumpy old b@stard laugh

Peter on the guitar - I actually don't know a lot about him, but he's pretty good too.

Lorant on the piano - he's been around so long I think he WROTE all the tunes Jack knows laugh He plays a mean guitar too.

These guys were great for me to get a start with.

Brian, trumpet, is a little like me - really just getting started at improv but I must say, he's improving quickly - that vid is getting on now and he has clearly been putting in work since it was taken.

============
Hi Sonny Ray,
the venue is really good - where we play you don't normally hear the surf, we're right on the beach but about 7 or 8 metres above it so the sound seems to dissipate - it's not normally heavy surf anyway.

The beach is called Macmasters Beach and is on the NSW Central Coast. Takes me about 20 minutes to drive there from where I live.

===============
Hey Musiclover,
I'd like to mention that there is an enormous difference playing to a live audience than any other environment - you get feedback from the crowd.

Sometimes it's really mild and you think "Nope, I haven't connected" and other times they clap and cheer, or better still, get up and dance (that's my favourite!). The interaction between you and them can really change how a gig goes down - every one is different.

A good crowd can really inspire your playing and you come up with lines you had no idea were in you, other crowds can make you feel like the sound is just "dribbling down your chin"

I encourage you to get out there. If you're most comfortable as a solo artist, find a quiet spot for a start and go busking. If you have a couple of mates you could go out with to play you'll gain courage from the company. It's the first time or 2 that take a little effort to get over the nerves, after that it's pure enjoyment!

'Ave a go mate!

#252100 - 05/30/14 10:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Wow Lawrie, you guys sound great and look like you're having a blast doing it! Sounded like you came right off Bourbon Street. And what a heavenly spot to play in.

Josie

#252108 - 05/30/14 10:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Wow Josie,
"Bourbon Street": high praise indeed. You know can now do no wrong don't you smile

If you ever come to Oz, drop in and you can do some real "Sun Dancing" wink at what has to be one of the best spots I've seen.

#252111 - 05/30/14 11:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: Lawrie]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
One of my favorite blues singers, Alberta Hunter, returned to the live stage at age 80.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Hunter#1970s

Lots of videos on Youtube.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#252141 - 05/31/14 09:23 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
I have but one comment, "You ain't too old - you all sound great."

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27634 Members
50 Forums
52274 Topics
432775 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LeftyMark, War Eagle, reaper19, Waaree, Eridanus

27633 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 180