Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#251967 - 05/30/14 08:38 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: 90 dB]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Loc: NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
You guys are rippin' Lawrie!

Too old? It takes a long time to get that good! grin

Ahh, bob, Maaate... You are my friend forever wink

I never played any improv at all until I was in my late 40's - if I didn't have a chart in front of me I had no idea at all! Then I did a couple of terms at the local conservatorium trying to learn the basics of Jazz improvisation - we covered basic harmonisation and the blues scale - that got me started - maybe one day I'll be able to say I'm starting to "get it" but in the meantime I'm gonna spend the rest of my life learning how smile

#251968 - 05/30/14 08:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
You couldn't pick a nicer spot to play either. Oz is on my bucket list, but my old bucket's getting pretty full. grin

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#251972 - 05/30/14 09:17 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: 90 dB]
babarton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
You guys are rippin' Lawrie!

Too old? It takes a long time to get that good! grin

Regards,

Bob

+1 - if I have any more fun today than the 4 minutes of that, I've had a pretty good day

Bruce
BIAB for Mac 2018

#251977 - 05/30/14 10:04 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: 90 dB]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

You couldn't pick a nicer spot to play either. Oz is on my bucket list, but my old bucket's getting pretty full. grin

Come on down - I'm sure we could find a bed somewhere, might be on the lounge though smile

#251978 - 05/30/14 10:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: babarton]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: babarton

+1 - if I have any more fun today than the 4 minutes of that, I've had a pretty good day

Bruce

Hey Bruce - Be jealous mate, Wednesday mornings usually go for about 2 1/2 hours laugh

I think this might answser the OP's question - no, you're NEVER too old to start playin' gigs smile

#251982 - 05/30/14 10:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Being in a band is like being married without the sex. You have the intimate family relationship without the intimate contact.

In the bands that I've been in that have had female members, the rule was "No hanky panky - hands off" to both. It's the only way that will work. Even if the members are homosexual, the same rule should apply.

In the two bands that I was in with female members, the guys ended up being like big brothers to the girls and tried to protect them (sometimes a bit too much).

As far as wives are concerned, the first time a wife interferes, even if it's just a little bit, it's time for a band meeting and to nip that in the bud. In the bands I've been in, all wife (or other non-band partner), suggestions can be made to the band member they are mated with, in private, and if the suggestion is worthy, the band member can bring it up at a band meeting or rehearsal.

There are a lot of pitfalls and a lot of joy to being in a full band, and to avoid the problems the rules should be set out and agreed upon up front. And when a problem occurs, it should be nipped in the bud and not let go to extremes.

Of course, great tact is involved in bringing up problems to the floor as you don't want to start a shouting match.

I played in a road band for a few years, the one that almost got signed to Motown, and the rules were set up front by a more experienced member of the group who confronted those problems before. During the years we were together, two of us got married, and the wives were never a problem. Neither was the female member of the band. What eventually broke the band up was when Motown quit talking to us because our lawyers expected us to actually get a piece of the potential profits instead of working for what would amount to union scale.

I've been in other bands that make Internet flame wars seem like a child's game in comparison. Those are the bands I left.

If you plan to join a band, the think you need to remember is, what we do is called playing music. It should be serious fun, but if it isn't fun and playful, it's not worth it.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#251997 - 05/30/14 12:34 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Lawrie,

as the camera panned around, I half expected to see Obi Wan and Han Solo at a table in the corner negotiating business arrangements on the milennium falcon...

on a more serious note, y'all sound awesome! Thanks for adding your favorable 2 cents to the original question!

#252039 - 05/30/14 06:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Sonny Ray Offline
Enthusiast

Lawrie, Love the vid'...having fun is what it's all about. Thanks for posting - I could almost smell the surf and hear the waves crash.

#252097 - 05/30/14 09:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Hi Pat,
some of the people that come I could almost agree about Obi Wan and Han wink

Thanks for the lovely compliment about our playing too. Jack, on the bass, has been playing for so long I think he knows every tune that's ever been written! Vince, clarinet (and sax) has played for a very long time too - I've learned a lot just from litening to these two guys.

Our normal bass player, Ian, also plays a bunch of other instruments, including a button accordeon that he sometimes brings. "La Vie en Rose" never sounded so good wink

Rob, usual drummer (not in the vid), played in the RAN for decades. He knows 'em all too and has a great feel, but he sure can be a grumpy old b@stard laugh

Peter on the guitar - I actually don't know a lot about him, but he's pretty good too.

Lorant on the piano - he's been around so long I think he WROTE all the tunes Jack knows laugh He plays a mean guitar too.

These guys were great for me to get a start with.

Brian, trumpet, is a little like me - really just getting started at improv but I must say, he's improving quickly - that vid is getting on now and he has clearly been putting in work since it was taken.

============
Hi Sonny Ray,
the venue is really good - where we play you don't normally hear the surf, we're right on the beach but about 7 or 8 metres above it so the sound seems to dissipate - it's not normally heavy surf anyway.

The beach is called Macmasters Beach and is on the NSW Central Coast. Takes me about 20 minutes to drive there from where I live.

===============
Hey Musiclover,
I'd like to mention that there is an enormous difference playing to a live audience than any other environment - you get feedback from the crowd.

Sometimes it's really mild and you think "Nope, I haven't connected" and other times they clap and cheer, or better still, get up and dance (that's my favourite!). The interaction between you and them can really change how a gig goes down - every one is different.

A good crowd can really inspire your playing and you come up with lines you had no idea were in you, other crowds can make you feel like the sound is just "dribbling down your chin"

I encourage you to get out there. If you're most comfortable as a solo artist, find a quiet spot for a start and go busking. If you have a couple of mates you could go out with to play you'll gain courage from the company. It's the first time or 2 that take a little effort to get over the nerves, after that it's pure enjoyment!

'Ave a go mate!

#252100 - 05/30/14 10:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Wow Lawrie, you guys sound great and look like you're having a blast doing it! Sounded like you came right off Bourbon Street. And what a heavenly spot to play in.

Josie
My Videos

#252108 - 05/30/14 10:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Wow Josie,
"Bourbon Street": high praise indeed. You know can now do no wrong don't you smile

If you ever come to Oz, drop in and you can do some real "Sun Dancing" wink at what has to be one of the best spots I've seen.

#252111 - 05/30/14 11:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: Lawrie]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
One of my favorite blues singers, Alberta Hunter, returned to the live stage at age 80.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Hunter#1970s

Lots of videos on Youtube.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#252141 - 05/31/14 09:23 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a"too old" to start gigging? [Re: musiclover]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
I have but one comment, "You ain't too old - you all sound great."

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

Forum Stats
27986 Members
57 Forums
53985 Topics
445902 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
VOICEBOX, Karl1901, charly, Bonnie-Kjell, Jesson Holder

27985 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 407
David Snyder 154