You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#50475 - 12/18/09 08:10 PM custom chords
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
It would be cool if you could create a custom chord, assign a name to it and use the name in the chord chart just like any of the other predefined chords.

#50476 - 12/18/09 10:57 PM Re: custom chords [Re: Pat Marr]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
It's not the same thing, but are you familiar with pgshortc.txt which allows you to define new chord names for existing supported chords? Take a look at how it works; it's interesting.
BIAB 2016 for Windows Audiophile, SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, & Encore running on Windows 10 64-bit, i7. Hardware includes a Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20, TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch.

#50477 - 12/19/09 08:08 AM Re: custom chords [Re: Matt Finley]
alan S. Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Scotland
Although you cant save them, i find i can make just about any chord i want by moving the piano part to the soloist channel and getting the soloist harmony to add a note at any bar.

You can also use the velocity command in the style maker to target a note globally in all the patterns and remove it giving you patterns without the 3rd, 7th or 5th. You need to kill all the macro patterns ones though, it wont work for those. you could reimport them though via a midi file and style wizard.

You can even kill all the notes except for C4 in the patterns and tick the riff pattern box for each. What this gives you is the chance to build up unusual chords on the sheet a note at a time; you get to control everything. Simply type C or whatever note you want in each bar and it gives you that note. Copy your chord part to the melody or soloist channel then start a new sheet for the next note again each time merging it with the existing notes you made before.

Hope this helps

Alan

Edited by alan S. (12/19/09 08:13 AM)

#50478 - 12/23/09 02:04 AM Re: custom chords [Re: Matt Finley]
Leovigild Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

It's not the same thing, but are you familiar with pgshortc.txt which allows you to define new chord names for existing supported chords? Take a look at how it works; it's interesting.

I've long wanted to assemble a personal library of chords that I name myself using that feature, but can't get my head around the cryptic instructions in the BIAB manual.

Let's say I want to write the modal name C PHR (short for Phrygian) instead of C7susb9. Matt, can you show me step-by-step exactly how I would do that?

#50479 - 12/23/09 10:51 AM Re: custom chords [Re: Leovigild]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
The shortcuts just let you enter chords the way you want to (usually to shorten the name of the chord, so you don't have to type so much); however, it will appear in the chord grid according to what it actually is.

So, you could have a short cut called CPHR, but it will still show up as C7susb9 in the chord grid (if that's even a supported chord; I don't know). You can't create new chords; you can only use the chords BIAB knows and understands. The chord builder lists what's available.

PC: HP, I5, Win10Pro (64-bit) 8GB, Dual 1TB 7200RPM
S/W: BB/RB, Sonar, Reaper, Notion, Finale, etc
Sounds: FastTrack Pro, NI Kontakt Ultimate, Casio Kbds, Halion Pro, Garritan, etc

#50480 - 12/23/09 01:34 PM Re: custom chords [Re: jford]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
But Jooooohhn! I wanna C8aux#@&sus to the power of 2 with a dangling participle!
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#50481 - 12/23/09 02:07 PM Re: custom chords [Re: Robh]
Veteran

Robh, that would be a C7odd.
BIAB 2016 for Windows Audiophile, SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, & Encore running on Windows 10 64-bit, i7. Hardware includes a Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20, TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch.

#50482 - 12/23/09 02:17 PM Re: custom chords [Re: Matt Finley]
MartinB Offline
Veteran

Custom Chords would be a boon. While it may be less trivial to have styles recognize custom chord symbols, printouts should be able to support custom chords easily. One particular an often requested chord entry would be -> N.C.

#50483 - 12/23/09 02:20 PM Re: custom chords [Re: MartinB]
Veteran

N.C. +1

pgshortc.txt says it is there, but I can't get it to work:

[Email]NC@C.[/Email] no chord

EDIT - that's not a link; the forum software just thinks it is

Edited by Matt Finley (12/23/09 02:35 PM)

#50484 - 12/23/09 02:34 PM Re: custom chords [Re: Matt Finley]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I have asked for N.C. before; haven't seen it yet. +1

Also (dare I say it), a dim triad without the 7th. How hard can it be for the style interpreter (which fully understands a major 1-3-5 chord to just flat the 3 and 5)?

PC: HP, I5, Win10Pro (64-bit) 8GB, Dual 1TB 7200RPM
S/W: BB/RB, Sonar, Reaper, Notion, Finale, etc
Sounds: FastTrack Pro, NI Kontakt Ultimate, Casio Kbds, Halion Pro, Garritan, etc

#50485 - 12/23/09 02:43 PM Re: custom chords [Re: Matt Finley]
MartinB Offline
Veteran

Quote:

pgshortc.txt says it is there, but I can't get it to work:

[Email]NC@C.[/Email] no chord

Yup, it doesn't work and thus may safely be qualified as a bug.

This shorcut file is, however, s.th. rather different from having custom chords show up in the lead sheet. pgshortc.txt documents just shortcuts to otherwise predefined chord symbols. Entering NC should make C. show up - which it doesn't. It would be good to have N.C. show up on the lead sheet, or other custom chord symbols for that matter. Maybe BB2011 will provide some special mode particularly for notation and printouts ...

#50486 - 12/24/09 12:15 AM Re: custom chords [Re: MartinB]
Veteran

I'm glad you concur that NC doesn't seem to work. Too bad.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that the existing shortcuts are a solution for custom chords, and I thought I said that. I just think it's an interesting technique that might be adaptable to custom chords if they become available in a future version.

#50487 - 12/24/09 01:16 AM Re: custom chords [Re: Matt Finley]
alan S. Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Scotland
Right now i'd settle for some additions to the chord list. I seem to remember Peter saying it wasn't a hard thing to do but seeing as how that was several years ago, and there's been nothing new since, you could have fooled me!

here's a few suggestions for starters

susMaj7 (really need this one!)
maj7 add 6
maj7 add4
Maj7#9
mMaj7b5
mMaj9
mMaj7#5
7 add6
7 add4

Also better support for 13th chords other than a few specialized voicings and ones on macro notes.
How the program is supposed to add a 13th when there isnt an 'A' in the voicing is a mystery but thats effectively what it has to be able to do. Having the 'A' in there as standard in every pattern would affect every chord played and that wouldnt be desirable either. The same problem exists with #11 voicings. When do you ever get the 5th along with the #11 as you probably should.?

Regards

Alan

#50488 - 12/24/09 04:00 AM Re: custom chords [Re: alan S.]
Leovigild Offline
Enthusiast

If you guys don't know the THIRD MODE OF THE MAJOR SCALE, well, that's pretty sad.

I except alan s., one of the very few cats on this forum who is concerned, like me, with the EXOTIC matter of chords in music.

#50489 - 12/24/09 05:25 PM Re: custom chords [Re: Leovigild]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Why wluld you make such an assumption?

Amd why do you feel the need to SHOUT?

I think these guys know the Phrygian, 'K?

And, why do you think you are "one of the very few cats on this forum who is concerned" about it?

I think that is an assumption.

Some of us may not be so concerned about it as to shout or attempt to demean others, though.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

PG Music News
New Forum - Help! Tech S.O.S.

Have you ever had a tech question regarding computer related or music equipment issues, and didn't know where to post on our forum? Well, now you do! We've created a new forum called Help! Tech S.O.S. where you can post your problems and request assistance.

This will be a great forum to post to when you need assistance that doesn't have to do with our products. A few examples of posts that would be shared here include:
- my guitar sound has a buzz when I plugin to my guitar
- which type of guitar strings are best for a telecaster?
- my iPhone won't charge -why?
- what's a good set of home speakers for a living room.
- should I buy an android or iPhone?
- what's a good entry level saxophone to buy?
- is a 4K TV worth it?

Tell Us Your Favorite Features in Band-in-a-Box & RealBand

Are there features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand that you absolutely love? Let your voice be heard - post about these to our new forum My Favorite Things!

This new forum is also a great place to review the features that other program users love - you never know... you may learn something new about the program, and have your "favorite list" grow too!

The Xtra Styles Song Contest for Band-in-a-Box

If you've purchased your Xtra Styles PAK for Band-in-a-Box 2016, make sure you enter the Xtra Styles Contest that we are running until September 30th! We have one prize for each category: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter. The winners will receive $150 US "PG Bucks" for a future Band-in-a-Box purchase!

Entering the contest is easy! Learn more about the contest, including how to submit your song, here!

We will announce the winners in October!

Xtra Styles PAKs Special Pricing - There's Still Time!

Attention all Band-in-a-Box 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, and Audiophile Edition customers!!!

If you haven't purchased your All Xtra Styles PAK yet, there's still time to enjoy our special pricing of just $29! This price is available until August 31st - more information is available at www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

What will you get?
164 NEW RealStyles, created using the RealTracks & RealDrums from the 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition.

What genres are available?
Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer Songwriter.

What is the special pricing?
$29 for all of 'em! (regular price: $49)
PLUS... we're offering a special bundle price during August: the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 & 2016 49-PAK Bundle for $49! (this is a $98 value!!!)

Why are we bundling these Xtra Styles with a 49-PAK during our special?
There are a handful of RealStyles within the new Xtra Styles which require the 49-PAK in order to work. If you purchased any UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition during our December/January special, it would not have included the 49-PAK.

If you don't have the 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition you can purchase your copy here - any of these purchases will include the 164 new RealStyles from the Xtra Styles PAK during the month of August!

There Are More Than 100 RealTracks Artists!

When you purchase all of our RealTracks and RealDrums, you're adding over 100 studio musicians to your band!

For a list of all of the RealTracks Artists, visit www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?os=win. From this page, you can read a short bio for each artist, and listen to demos of their RealTracks!

(To receive all of our RealTracks & RealDrums, purchase any UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile package)

Xtra Styles PAKs Are a HIT!

We recently released Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box® 2016. There are up to 164 RealStyles included for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter!

We're including these in every purchase of the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, and Audiophile Edition during the month of August! Already have one of these packages? Add the new RealStyles to your collection with a special price of just $29 (a $49 value!)

There's been some amazing feedback from users like you who've already purchased these - thank you!"..."These are some very creative new RealStyles!"..."Very interesting and effective selections - great job!"..."The Jazz styles are GREAT!"..."Xtra Styles PAKs saves me time to get on with the music making"..."There are some excellence combinations that I would never have thought to try - great service!"..."What a fine Set!"..."There's great value with the Xtra Styles PAKs!"..."Some of these combinations would never have occurred to me - great job PG Music!"..."These sound great... really nice combos!"..."What a great addition to the Jazz styles!"..."These sound VERY good. The Singer-Songwriter in particular!"..."I like the idea of New styles from old Real Tracks."..."Demonstrates the potential of mixing and matching!"..."These are FANTASTIC!"..."Xtra Styles PAKs - what a bargain!"..."I love these new RealStyles, and can use them as-is!"..."There are some great combinations I would never have considered trying."..."These sound brilliant - what a great deal!"..."I have already begun re-doing some current projects with some of these excellent new offerings, and my list of 'favorite' styles just jumped. The ingredients may have all been pulled from my existing pantry, but the new recipes sure do create some good new eatin' comin' out of the BIAB oven."..."WOW, these are awesome!"..."What a bargain - these sound great!"..."What a great summertime surprise!"..."Seriously impressed with these Xtra Styles! Thanks PG!"..."An excellent and very fresh alternatives to create songs with an amazing musical result. As guitar player, composer, arranger and song author myself, the Xtra Styles have given me great sounding options."..."I just purchased them and they sound great!"..."Wow, these are awesome!!!!!!!!"...

Have you already purchased your Xtra Styles PAK? We'd love to hear what you think!

Detailed Video Available for Xtra Styles PAKs!

Learn about ALL the just-released RealStyles included in the Xtra Styles PAKs when you watch this detailed video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Aev7xZXr-kk

Purchase all 164 of these new RealStyles with the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 package, on sale for only $29 during the month of August! Visit www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php to place your order today!

Did you already purchase this? Don't forget to share your songs to our User Showcase Forum - we'd love to hear how you used these new RealStyles in your song!

Forum Stats
25054 Members
44 Forums
40839 Topics
326694 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
MediaGamble, colly, wish, David K Lee, Ezze

25054 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 161
VideoTrack 145