Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi all,

I love the sound of the pedal steel guitar - the twanginess, volume swells, legato and stacatto mix of connected notes.

BB has EXCELLENT steel guitar sounds - but I'd like to reproduce some of them live - without the expense and learning curve of buying and learning to play the actual instrument.

Have any of you felt this way - and selected a guitar and boxes to mimic the beauty of the sound ?

Also - have any of you liked the sound so much you transitioned from electric guitar to pedal steel ? How'd that go, what was different and surprising, and how long until you enjoyed what you heard coming out of it ?

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi Joe. Since you already have the quality steel sounds that come with BB, you can create unique and original riffs within the program by comping sections from the several takes into one track.

I've found that some sounds are easier to accurately mimic than others but I'm not familiar with any modules in my price range that consistently capture the uniqueness of the pedal steel.

Regards,

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Trying to get that sound live on stage....with a guitar. Yes, I have to admit, I've tried that as has several other guitar players in bands I have been in through the years.

Yes, to one degree or another, it's possible to get surprisingly close for short licks. Of course, it will not sound completely like a steel guitar but you can emulate some of the licks. The problem is that once you fade in and do a fancy little bend, you have a very difficult time from that point going to a slide into the next chord and changing a note in the chord. The pedals on the steel and the knee levers give the steel a super advantage over a normal 6 string.

Usually, a bright sounding guitar such as a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, makes it easier since they have that bright clean metallic sound...AND..... they have a volume knob that is really close to the bridge so that creating volume swells is easier.

Then, it's simply a matter of learning the hot country sounding licks that sound like a steel and working that volume knob.

Consider another option. Lap steel. There are no pedals and levers on a lap steel. It's all about the bar, the tuning used, and the player's skills.

Listen to country picker and session man Albert Lee. That guy does a lot of cool things on a guitar.

Also... youtube has some stuff that might be helpful : Pedal Steel licks on a Guitar

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/19/14 05:12 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

I've been experimenting favorably with a guitar effect pedal by Digitech named HarmonyMan

If you play the guitar with a slide and experiment with the various harmony settings you can get it to sound AMAZINGLY like a pedal steel guitar... especially if you also use a volume pedal or reverb that includes swell.

By using a harmony pedal you get several advantages:

1) you don't have to angle the slide to get correct harmonies.. single note solos get automatically turned into chords

2) you can turn off the effect when you only need one note at a time

3) one of the harmony settings on this pedal actually allows some notes in the chord to remain the same while other notes rise or fall, which is exactly whet the pedals do on a pedal steel.

4) if the action on your guitar is set high enough to use a slide but low enough the play normally, this opens up a world of possibilities.

5) it isn't just a trick for recording.. this also works quite well in a live performance!

I like this pedal for other reasons too. Most harmony pedals limit you to scale-based harmonies, but many songs don't stay in the same key throughout the song. THIS pedal is capable of following the chords, adapting the harmony on the fly

Last edited by Pat Marr; 05/19/14 05:12 AM. Reason: added info
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
HarmonyMan is a discontinued product (I haven't checked for a follow-up product). But this guy does an icredible job of mimicking the pedal steel sounds on guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mPvRRzVpLb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddu-Bg1jde4

Guido

Last edited by GHinCH; 05/19/14 05:34 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
HarmonyMan is a discontinued product

that means they'll be showing up on ebay and craigslist at reduced prices!

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hey Joe! I have no experience with pedal steel but I bought a square neck resonator guitar in December and it is taking longer than I had hoped to come up to speed with it! If you already have slide experience that will probably help.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe, if you have an extra guitar around you can get a Slide guitar extension nut http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/reviewme/4596?submitreview=true&utm_source=rebopp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140322#submitreview
for $3.77 USD.

I have one on an old strat copy and it works just fine. You may also want to get a lap slide also
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Capos,_slides/Shubb-Pearse_Guitar_Steel.html?actn=100101&xst=1&xsr=4596

I tune that strat to the key of E.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Joe, if you have an extra guitar around you can get a Slide guitar extension nut http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/reviewme/4596?submitreview=true&utm_source=rebopp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140322#submitreview
for $3.77 USD.

I have one on an old strat copy and it works just fine. You may also want to get a lap slide also
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Capos,_slides/Shubb-Pearse_Guitar_Steel.html?actn=100101&xst=1&xsr=4596

I tune that strat to the key of E.

Mario-

Thanks for the tip. I've got an old Squire Strat that I'm gonna put one of those on.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't even bother with the extension nut... I just slip a finishing nail under the strings near the regular nut, and it raises the string height just enough to use the slide.

Later in the set when I need to have a regular guitar, the nail slips out easily.

You can even treat it like a "slide capo", sliding it under the strings at any fret. this can be useful when you want the open strings to be in the key of the song

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
As always - you guys never disappoint. I'm embarrassed but honest enought to say though I've used the term "pedal steel" often - it never occurred to me that it had pedals !!

And the video suggestions, stomp box and 'nut' suggestions - obviously this is a very desirable sound to many guitar players on the forum.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm enjoying (and tinkering with) them immensely.

Appreciatively,
Joe V.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe V
As always - you guys never disappoint. I'm embarrassed but honest enought to say though I've used the term "pedal steel" often - it never occurred to me that it had pedals !!

and knee levers too....

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
as time allows, I'm going to post a video or sound snippet of the technique I suggested... but in messing around preparing for the video, it occurred to me that most of what I was doing with the harmony pedal was scale based... so any harmony creating device should work.

From a recording standpoint, you should be able to play single note slide guitar into Real Band, then apply the TC Helicon harmonizer to it and get something pretty close to what I'm talking about.

If you added harmony to a copy of the single note track, you could use volume envelopes to switch seamlessly between the tracks for parts where you don't need a full chord.

in fact, you could also use volume envelopes to substitute for the volume pedal used by pedal steel players to fade in the sound.

BTW, I like to add a 3rd and 5th to the single note in order to get the full chord sound so often played on steel guitars.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, here's the snippet I promised to demo the use of a harmony pedal, volume pedal and slide guitar imitating the sound of a pedal steel guitar.

Its a quick & dirty one-take 2 minute demo, so don't expect a stellar production. wink

I purposefully did not use the volume pedal throughout the demo... that way you can identify spots where the use of it changes the sound, and you can get an idea of the range of sounds that are available using this technique.

CLICK HERE FOR DEMO VIDEO

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
OK, here's the snippet I promised to demo the use of a harmony pedal, volume pedal and slide guitar imitating the sound of a pedal steel guitar.

Its a quick & dirty one-take 2 minute demo, so don't expect a stellar production. wink

I purposefully did not use the volume pedal throughout the demo... that way you can identify spots where the use of it changes the sound, and you can get an idea of the range of sounds that are available using this technique.

CLICK HERE FOR DEMO VIDEO

That is, without a doubt, one of the best guitar versions of a steel I've seen. Of course there are always lap steels and we forget about them quite often because they are the less well known little brother to the pedal steel, and not quite a guitar. Although, folks who master them (listen to David Lindley playing one with Jackson Brown on the Running on Empty LP) are quite amazing.

I noticed a rod to raise the action.... absolutely necessary..... and did you use other than standard guitar tuning on this? kinda sounds like you did. If so, what was it?

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,
thanks for the feedback... after about 24 hours and no replies I was starting to wonder if maybe I was hearing it wayyy differently than everybody else.

To answer your questions:

it's standard tuning... I'm just playing single notes, so there's no need for different tunings... the harmony pedal takes care of all the places where a lap steel player would have to angle the bar to stay in key.

And yes, the strings are raised with a .080" diameter pin swiped from an old elastic-style capo that I don't use anymore. But a nail works just as well. In when you need it, out when you don't. No need for a 2nd guitar with higher action.

I cranked this video out in one take just to get something posted, so be aware that a performance that is actually geared toward emulating a steel guitar would naturally sound closer than this. In retrospect, I should have used the volume pedal more and also should have used the slide a lot more to transition from note to note. As recorded, the notes are uncharacteristically abrupt for a steel... but it still gives the listener an idea for experimentation.

edit: also some reverb with a long decay also helps

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
additional thought regarding the HarmonyMan pedal:

it is a stereo pedal that can add two separate harmonies, each controlled by its own algorithm.

Upshot is that if one of the harmonies is a 3rd and the other is a 5th, there are times when following the key moves one of the notes, but not the other. This is exactly the way a pedal steel works, with the pedal (or knee lever) bending one note of a triad while the other 2 notes remain the same.

I don't know if other harmony devices work the same way or not, but this one does.

Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
Journeyman
K
I'm impressed!!! I'm considering trying this with my Harmony-G XT. I wonder what it would sound like with both harmonies and the doubler turned on. Great idea, Pat.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great info.

I was thinking that tuning to a chord on the guitar would be really cool too... using this same basic playing style.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kajun Jeaux
I'm impressed!!! I'm considering trying this with my Harmony-G XT. I wonder what it would sound like with both harmonies and the doubler turned on. Great idea, Pat.

please post a followup to let us know how your experiment turned out!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,499
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195