Go To
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Need help.
Finally getting back into recordin After getting life in order etc etc.
My prob is I need a pc oodles faster for biab track generation cos I go bonkers if
I have to wait for track genning cos I like to work fast on a song….while ideas flow.
Thus could folks tell me their fastest set ups please n time for biab track generation.
For example youve loaded in real traks for drums/bass/geetar n piano etc etc …
How fast do you take ??.
I’m wondering if a new pc with amd fx octo core cpu might speed things up.
Cos cheaper than intel i7 3770. Etc.
All the best.

retd puter engr.
daft songs at
www.motagator.net/bmanning
(songs no 9 n higher use new biab2011.)
what is the black art of audio engineering ?.
all puters get obsolete in the end..lol.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Even if we had a sample project we could all use as a benchmark, the same song takes different amounts of time to regenerate on my system.

As far as I can tell, BIAB is not coded to run in more than one processor core.

The single greatest change I have noticed when running BIAB occurred when I changed from running it on a hard drive to an SSD.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Even if we had a sample project we could all use as a benchmark, the same song takes different amounts of time to regenerate on my system.

As far as I can tell, BIAB is not coded to run in more than one processor core.

The single greatest change I have noticed when running BIAB occurred when I changed from running it on a hard drive to an SSD.

Matt,

Just how much faster is the SSD? Is it a very noticeable difference?

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you want instant generation of the style when writing so the ideas stay fresh..... use a midi style. It's instant.

I don't think that having a 10 second or even a 15 second regeneration time is too much. Really, When I'm writing, I;m thinking about the song, the ideas, I have, the arrangement of the verses and such so 15 seconds isn't long to wait. I will normally use that time to check tuning or change a word on the verse....

If you lose your train of thought or even the groove of the song during a regen, it's probably safe to say that you didn't have a good one to start with.

I will often work on a song for 30 minutes or so and then shut the DAW completely down and not return to it until the next day or perhaps a few days. I can recall the song, the groove, the melody with 99% accuracy. If I can't remember the melody, I simply work on another melody. Often the ones I don't remember are not worth remembering anyway and the second shot is normally better.

For what it's worth, yes, there is a difference in the regeneration speed between processors. On my laptop with a duo-core the generation took ...lets say 20 seconds. On the custom DAW I built using the i5 Intel chip, the same song regenerates in less than half the time. It was a noticeably shorter time.

My suggestion, just buy the best processor with the fastest processing speed you can afford. With the prices today on computers, that is almost a given that you will see very short regen times.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/06/14 04:35 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, yes, very noticeable.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Bob, yes, very noticeable.

Thanks. Any recommendations for a SSD for BIAB/RB?

Would this suffice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1732885

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That looks fine. I chose a drive with 160, and it was about six times that price! Amazing how prices have fallen. Today I saw an ad for a ten year warranty on an SSD, so concerns about reliability have lessened as well (though mine is over two years old, and still runs great).

I have the SSD as my boot drive, and install all applications to it. I keep data on another traditional hard drive. BIAB is the exception: I keep the BIAB data (songs)on the SSD in the /BB folder on the SSD. I just am careful to back up the songs to another drive (and a few other places).

Manning is building new, but Bob, if you are replacing a boot drive, you will need to turn off Defrag in Windows 7 or 8 for the new SSD drive. Very important.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was planning to keep my C drive for the boot drive, like normal, and load BB/RB on the SSD. Can it be used like any other external drive?

Thanks.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sure! You'll love it.

In general, SSD drives are best for reading from, less so for writing to, because they have a finite life for the number of writes. This is becoming less of a concern now though. That's why you do not Defrag an SSD.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Mr. Matt!

Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
thnx for the comments.
if I don't reply quik its cos now on a snrs pension thuso every few days go to library to use net.
sounds to me an i5 intel with lots of ram , say 12 gigs.
then ssd for biab plus a regular hd might be way to go n save moolah over i7.
here in Canada i7 prices atre way over top imho.
other reason I don't wanna spend lotsa quids is cos tablets
r gonna get way more powerfull I hope over next few years..
HOPEFULLY..(he grins).
best to aLL.

PS...GOT A NEW INTERFACE I'M TESTING OUT..
Steinberg ur22 with biab n reap.
so far pretty impressed considering price point.
I used to make me own mic preamps..but now no point cos
the ur22 are pretty good.

Last edited by manning11; 06/07/14 12:07 PM.

retd puter engr.
daft songs at
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome back Manning

Thanks for the comments on UR22
appreciated

As for system question, you didn't mention the specs of the system you have, so it's hard to say what's causing your 'slow generation', thus hard to recommend biggest improvement.

Good chance the drive speed is slowing things down, but that may be because you are using the USB external drive for track generation.. or maybe your OS drive is full with little room to operate.. or ..

Let us know your starting point and we can better recommend the most cost efficient changes.

CPU, RAM, USB vs SATA, SATA vs SSD, lot of scenarios for conjecture.

Plus you may be better off just getting a MB/CPU/RAM kit and keep other existing parts. With no starting point it is hard to guess.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
cheers.
hi rharv .
i'll prolly get a new system.
(also looking at these..
http://www.adkproaudio.com/
purpose built for studios ..
but I'm on snrs pension..baH humbuh..lol.)
but I'm curious bout 2 things.
1. whats best ssd drive brand. ?
2. usb 3 drives are now here.
5 gps specs.
thusly whats faster ??
for biab , ssd or usb 3. ????
greetings to all from an old rocker...lol.

Last edited by manning11; 06/09/14 01:05 PM.

retd puter engr.
daft songs at
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Manning, these are two different things. The fastest you can get is an SSD drive running on an SATA interface (and there are different speeds of that). Putting a solid state drive on a USB interface, even USB 3, is crippling it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Manning
1. Where I work we habe a separate MSP/IT department. They've been using Samsung SSDs as a goto brand (usually EVOs) without any issues.
I'm sure other brands are as good or better, but that's what the guys we pay to know these things have settled on.

Just my input. I'm sure others have suggestions just as valid.

2. See Matt's comment above. Unless you were thinking of a USB 3 drive for storing realtracks .. faster than USB 2 but my gut says with the initialization time, and other factors, a SATA drive for these (internal) would be fine for most users.

Of course SSD for realtracks would also be nice.
You mention USB3 at 5GB/s but I'm looking at the box for a new SSD that says 6GB/s SATA compatible .. and SATA 3GB/s compatible .. and .. USB 3/2 compatible (with adapter) ..
This particular Samsung Evo 250GB SSD was $135 very recently.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob is right about the Samsung brand. It's always the top or second highest rated in Maximum PC charts every month.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
USB3 is rated at 5Gb/S, USB3.1 is 10Gb/S
SATA I is rated at 1.5Gb/S
SATA II is rated at 3Gb/S
SATA III is rated at 6Gb/S

So theoretically USB3 is just slower than a SATA III interface, but I believe that many SSD's don't actually have the performance to reach the full 6Gb/S capacity of SATA III - they reach just a little over 5.2Gb/S andthat is only for sequential reads and writes - really I'd think the difference is getting pretty academic unless you are using RAID arrays that can read from multiple drives to make up the shortfall.

OTOH, Thunderbolt is rated at 10Gb/S and Thunderbolt II is rated at 20 Gb/S. Expect to see more Thunderbolt in Wintel boxes.

It is also interesting to note that Thunderbolt is the successor to mDP (Mini Display Port) and adds PCI Express support to the interface whilst retaining backward compatibility with mDP.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good points Lawrie. I am not aware of any USB 3 interface kits for drives, either SSD or normal, so I was assuming USB 2 speeds.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Suffice it to say if you are currently on an IDE drive and are moving to SSD you'll notice.

However since the request mentioned a limited budget, you'll also notice a nice difference between old IDE and new SATA. How much it is worth in the world of diminishing returns is your call.

I appreciate the speed of the SSD system I use, but I also have another system with 6 SATA drives in it that I wouldn't want to trade for SSD considering the cost of 6 equal size drives; the SATA II dives are fast enough for what they are needed for in my opinion, and I'm the final judge!

For cost/GB, using fast SATA drive may be a better choice for you so you can afford more RAM.
It's all about the choices .. and nowadays we got plenty of 'em.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Any recommendations for a SSD for BIAB/RB? Would this suffice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1732885

Hey 90DB, I bought a 250 Gig SSD drive very similar to the one you linked above during the past year. In my case I made the SSD drive my primary C:\ drive for Windows 8.1 so I could also get better performance out of Windoze. Of course this involved reinstalling Windows. I run all applications on the SSD and use my 500 Gb hard drive D:\ for storing all my music files after they have been created on the C:\.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,630
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193