Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#255236 07/01/14 10:26 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
critter Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I settled for the Steinberg ur22, and it works great, now I want to invest in monitors at a somewhat low price tag. I went to Guitar Center in Milwaukee, 72 miles one way for a monitor review in house. I was at the start leaning towards the KRK rokits, they were good as the first button push, then it was the new JBL LSR series, they sounded like tin cans, the third I don't remember, fourth was the Tonnoy new Reveal series, they were great. Behringer truth were next, also ok. Then the Focal Alpha series, which is not in stock yet, also very good, $299.99 each. I would like some input on the choice of monitors that do not go over the $300.00 each category. My space is about 10ft x 10ft, I don't need a 8 inch woofer but your input would be helpful, also I need a front bass port because of a corner on the left and a very close to wall spot on the right side. I hope this helps in the responses. Thanks

Critter
critter #255242 07/02/14 04:15 AM
Veteran
Veteran
If you could stretch your budget a bit, you might want to look at the Event 20/20's. Excellent near fields.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2020BAS/

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #255259 07/02/14 11:43 AM
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Auditioning monitors in the store is a crap shoot at best due to the listening environment. Research the reviews of the ones your interested in and then buy the ones that offer the best reviews for the price range your interested in. Save the packaging and receipts and return them if your not completely satisfied and get a different brand.

I do have the KRK Rockit 5's and I like them. Keep in mind that your studio setup (desk, position of your ears and the monitors, sound absorption) will all affect the sound of the monitors. You tube reviews are really bad at determining the sound of the monitors also. You will never get the monitors true sound reproduction through the video or your computer speakers. You are left with the reviewers word on the matter.

critter #255262 07/02/14 12:14 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Or, you could try to find a pair of these. A bit out of your price range, though.

Last edited by 90 dB; 07/05/14 03:09 AM.
critter #255268 07/02/14 02:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I bought the Barry MS40s after Mac's suggestion and couldn't be more pleased. 40 Watts in a 16x16 room will nearly peal paint. I like their looks as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IKSIOM/ref=asc_df_B000IKSIOM3167022?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1084-86-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B000IKSIOM

They are priced within my very limited budget at US$149 however, you will need a Toslink (R) cable too. IIRC, it was another 10 Bux.

critter #255269 07/02/14 02:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Critter, I went with the same decision process about a year ago. Although I don't do any super critical pro level mixing, I do have the same corner mount room dynamics as you. I went with the KRK 8's for the extra frequency response. I really have come to appreciate the bi-amped setup, front port, the many connector options on the back, the volume adjustments and the HF level adjustment to tweak the monitors to my room environment. Sound wise, must admit, they are not as clean as the VXT 8's especially the mid-range, but for $350 less each, I think that they are really well built entry level monitors that produce excellent results.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
critter #255276 07/02/14 03:47 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
A bit out of your price range, though.

Apparently so are these now.
The last run of this model has doubled in price in a year. Early models had a problem, so unless you get the last run, I don't recommend getting used. I think I got mine for around $450 a couple years ago right after they manufactured this last run (just luck; I had to wait for the next run when I ordered). They were a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-130-Watt-Bi-Amplified-Monitor/dp/B001AX7BY4

But really?? A grand now?!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
critter #255279 07/02/14 03:56 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I'm pleased with my KRK Rokit 5's. Interestingly if I get the bass right with them in the mix then the low end still sounds fine when listening through a much bigger system. Small and reasonable price first attracted me to them.

rharv #255305 07/03/14 03:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quote:
A bit out of your price range, though.

Apparently so are these now.
The last run of this model has doubled in price in a year. Early models had a problem, so unless you get the last run, I don't recommend getting used. I think I got mine for around $450 a couple years ago right after they manufactured this last run (just luck; I had to wait for the next run when I ordered). They were a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-130-Watt-Bi-Amplified-Monitor/dp/B001AX7BY4

But really?? A grand now?!

The prices on some of this stuff are insane. Look at what they're asking for a pair of NS-10's! These days, there is a fantastic selection of good near-fields available at good prices.

I love my Events, but I still check mixes on my little secret weapons, my Optimus Pro-7's. If you can get a mix to sound good on these, it will translate anywhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Optimus-Pro-7AV-speakers-in-very-good-condition/111373848338?_trksid=p0.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23346%26meid%3D8051245865801734966%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D9919%26rk%3D14%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D351107982733

And the Optimus are a lot cheaper than these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M...opyxJxSIKvw_wcB

90 dB #255308 07/03/14 05:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Critter, I've been using the Behringer Truth B2031A active biamped two-way monitors since 2007 and couldn't be more pleased. These do have the 8-inch woofs and cost considerably more than they did back then, so they are overkill for you in more ways than one. Check out Don G.'s suggestion and see what you think. Do remember that speaks in this range have a hard cutoff at the low end, mine at 50 Hz--they simply don't reproduce anything below that point. If you deal with bass at all you will need to find a way to address this. I did it with a JBL sub and Beyerdynamic DT 770 cans; how you do it will depend on your budget and living arrangements.

HTH,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
90 dB #255334 07/03/14 03:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
The prices on some of this stuff are insane. Look at what they're asking for a pair of NS-10's! These days, there is a fantastic selection of good near-fields available at good prices.

I love my Events, but I still check mixes on my little secret weapons, my Optimus Pro-7's. If you can get a mix to sound good on these, it will translate anywhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Optimus-Pro-7AV-speakers-in-very-good-condition/111373848338?_trksid=p0.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23346%26meid%3D8051245865801734966%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D9919%26rk%3D14%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D351107982733

And the Optimus are a lot cheaper than these: ...

There's a little confusion on the 'Pro' vs regular version in the link. I think the product description is for a different speaker than the listing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are the ones I'm thinking of they are not 'floor standing' speakers .. nor have a 100 watt sub, etc.

If you mean the Minimus type model; I still have a pair of the 'Minnie Mouse' speakers (RS Minimus). Plannin' to keep them too. They are indeed a good way to check a mix for some aspects.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
critter #255344 07/03/14 09:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,
I just checked M-Audio's website, and there is no BX8A, however, there is a BX8 D2, which are $499 a pair. Also, all the listings for the BX8A were from Japan, so I don't know.

Critter, I have two pair of Rokit RP-5, a Gen 1 and Gen 2 pair. I like the Gen 2 slightly better. I did have a failure with one of the Gen 1 units awhile ago, a capacitor went bad. I replaced it (it's been several years now) and the unit continues to function well for me.

If you could afford the Tannoys or even the KRK VX series, I would say go with them, but I think the Rokit RP5s are a good choice, and are my go to recommendation.

What I would recommend, though, would be to spend the extra $100, and purchase the Rokit 6s, or if you want to spend a total of $500, get the Rokit 8s.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
critter #255395 07/04/14 12:15 PM
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
A friend of mine just bought Presonus Sceptre 6s. They are amazing. The list about $700 each, but on ebay, the had used ones listed at $369 each. If you click on that ad, there is a store with an 800 number. I called, and they sell them new for $399 each which is an incredible price. When I have the space, I will jump on that deal. A little higher than you're looking at but probably worth the extra $. Just a thought. Take care. Greg

critter #255429 07/04/14 06:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Critter,

I must say that I am shocked to read you saying that the JBL LSR305's sounded like "tin cans". I was thinking of getting some because they've got the best reviews of any monitors in their price range that I've researched - and when I research believe me - I research...

Now you've blown my mind. Of course that doesn't take much LOL! But seriously....tin cans???

Josie

critter #255435 07/04/14 08:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, and Critter,
Studio Monitors are one of the most subjective 'hard' objects in musical recording. What I mean by that is this; you can look up all the specs you want, listen to all the reviews you want, talk to people that you want to who have their own experience with monitors, and you may hate the sound.

I work for a company that makes Digital Audio Converters. We make some of the best on the market. In a dollar to sound reproduction ratio, I think we are the clear winners, meaning that you will get the most accurate reproduction or recording of whatever sound you put into the converter versus anyone else at the same price point.

But, one of the biggest issues that we have as a small company is that people don't really know what they are listening to. I could record a Steinway Grand Piano in a concert hall with two mics, and the present it to you in three forms, a.) unaltered, b.) with a small amount of harmonic distortion, and c.) louder, and you would probably pick 'B' or 'C' as the better sounding. Why? Because most people do not know what a properly mic'd piano in a concert hall really sounds like. Oh, they can get a Classical Recording and listen all the they want, but if the conversion process from analog to digital, either recording directly, or taken from old analog tapes, isn't the absolute best performed on good gear, you're going to hear something that's not there. Furthermore, before it gets to your ears, it goes through a recording and Mastering Engineer, who understands what it's SUPPOSED to sound like, but is also concerned about what WILL SELL THE MOST ALBUMS. If you have a recording that is accurate, but sounds thin and gutless, or you have a nice 'warm' recording that has so much harmonic distortion, overtones, and stuff that's not even there, which do you think is going to sell more?

The absolute best way to check studio monitors is to do it in person at your local music store, with source material that you've recorded. A single instrument, a vocal and a single instrument all the way up to a full blown recording with multiple tracks and vocals with effects processing added in. All of these tracks will give you the best feel for what you're hearing, because you KNOW what it's supposed to sound like. If you're a singer and you can't hear your own voice, take someone with you who can listen to the monitors and say Yay or Nay on how realistic they are.

Everything from your vocals or your fingertips, to the microphones, to the mixer, to the A/D and D/A Converters to the monitors are in the chain, but the monitors are where it all comes together. If everything else is good and decent quality, then the monitors are where things are going to get messed up, and where your recording chain will let you down. If your monitors are good, accurate and you like the sound, and they really DO sound like what you're putting into your recording chain, then get them.

Now, I just did an impromptu hearing test the other day, and at 0dBFS, my hearing dies out around 11.5-12KHz. So, I may not hear the highs accurately, but you younger folks should hear them well enough to be able to decide what the best monitors for your budget and price point are.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Curran; 07/04/14 08:50 PM.

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
critter Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Sorry about that but When I went into Guitar Center I was pretty much set on KRK Rockit 5, for my cd choice for what I used to use for setting up PA for a band was Molly Hatchet song, "Dreams" it has all the highs lows and all in between. First was the KRK 5, second was LSR 305, third I don't remember, fourth was the Tonney reveal, and assorted others. At first the KRK sounded great, then he switched to the JBL 305 and it was all high end and reminded me of the old piezo tweeters from long ago. The Tonney sounded the best all around, but after looking in depth, like you they are not a good choice. So now here I am still looking for a good pair. Now looking into Presonus Eris 5 and 8, Focal Alpha 50, and Yamaha MSP 5, these only because in my situation I need front bass porting. Hope this helps.
Steve

Critter
critter #255486 07/05/14 01:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran
"JBL 305 and it was all high end and reminded me of the old piezo tweeters from long ago."

The LSR305 has HF and LF trim controls. I'm guessing that the "expert" at Guitar Satan had them set up improperly (like - backwards grin ). Just a guess, although a GS expert "tested" a pair of my PA speaker tweeters with a 9-volt battery last week, and probably blew them up. You test woofers with a 9-V, not tweeters.

The KRKs are good speakers, but the JBLs are getting some killer reviews.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305/reviews

critter #255491 07/05/14 04:25 PM
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
I think Gary makes a lot of good points. What does one want from their monitors? I remember seeing a rep demoing Event 20/20s and saying "And this was mixed through these monitors", trying to impress everyone. The speakers sounded very good, but all mixes should sound their best on the monitors they were mixed through. The big question is: What will the mix sound like on other people's systems, or in cars? A friend of mine who reads a lot about these things (he owns a music store) read that most engineers rely on NS-10s. I've heard some mixes that sound like garbage on those monitors. Some people say, if you can get a decent mix on NS-10s, it will sound great on anything else. My best advice is to listen on as many systems as you can. That said, I rely on Sennheiser cans and then listen on computer speakers and in my car. I hope to get a quality playback system someday. Hope someone finds something useful in this perspective. Take care. Greg

critter #255495 07/05/14 05:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran
"I think Gary makes a lot of good points. What does one want from their monitors? I remember seeing a rep demoing Event 20/20s and saying "And this was mixed through these monitors", trying to impress everyone. The speakers sounded very good, but all mixes should sound their best on the monitors they were mixed through."

What, exactly, does that mean?

"all mixes should sound their best on the monitors they were mixed through"

The speakers 'sounded very good', because they are very good speakers. Mixes done on them translate. They are not Genelecs, or Meyers, but they translate.

How much do you want to spend on a song that probably shouldn't have been recorded in the first place? grin

critter #255508 07/05/14 10:31 PM
critter Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I know that it's all relevant stuff above, and I know it all depends on the users ears, etc. but I have to get whatever I decide from Sweetwater, have the Sweetwater credit card, and can string payments out for 24 months, I just want to get one pair and not have to keep sending them back for the next ones. That's why I keep looking at every option, yes Guitar Center is what it is but at least I could hear what I think was ten different monitors. Credit cards are nice but I don't want huge payments or the whole 24 months to pay thing. For my final thoughts on what to get are: Presonus Eris series, Focal Alpha Series, (New), Yamaha MSP series, all front ported, any thoughts on these.........Thanks

Critter
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,692
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200