PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
Hello,
I can't find any subject in manual , help , or forum about this question. How can I configure PowerTracks for the use of an external midi synth (for example mine is Roland XP30). I would like to use it for rendering audio from midi tracks, and also I would like that PT sends Program Change to the synth 16 midi channels. I can't find any instrument definition in PT.
Thank You for Your help

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
Veteran
Veteran
L

oliv:

- Can you please post a little more info? What version of PTPA are you using?
How do you want to make "use of an external midi synth? Do you want to record MIDI from the synth to PTPA?

- If you open up the Help file in PTPA, go to the Search tab and type "changes" (no quotes), one of the the entries will be "Setting up the patch changes". See if that's what you're looking for.

- If you can't find anything in the Help file for your "instrument definition" question, check with the Live Help function at the top of most of the PGMusic pages. They can help you with that or get you started.

If you still have questions or issues, post back here and someone should be able to help.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
I use PTPA 2014.
I would like :
1/ to choose synth sound for each track Inside PTPA ( not having to select them in the hardware synth). In cubase or sonar this is possible by loading instrument definition file ( for ex Xthe P30.ins) Inside the DAW, so that the DAW has the complete list of sounds in memory.
2/ to playback a PTPA midi project using the external synth.
Very basic old fashion PC>midi>synth configuration.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi oliv.

First of all, you're going to need a MIDI to USB cable to connect the XP30 to the PC. Most of these devices are class compliant which means they don't need additional drivers. You simply connect it to the XP30 MIDI sockets, plug it into a USB socket on the PC and the PC should pick it up. Always use the same USB socket to avoid multiple registrations.

Once you've done this, boot PowerTracks and on the top level of the toolbar, towards the right hand side, look for the MIDI DEVICES button. Your USB device should be listed in both the input and output columns and you need to select it for both. Make sure the box RE-ROUTE MIDI PLAYBACK TO DEFAULT SYNTH is clear - NOT ticked.

You should now be able to record MIDI information from the XP30 to PT2014 and the MIDI playback should be routed back to the XP30. You will need to connect the audio out from The XP to the line in on the PC in order to record the audio.

If you go to SUPPORT on the PG website and look for PATCH NAMES, the Roland XP30 is listed and you can download a patch to use with PowerTracks.

If you need any more help, or hit any problems, get back to us.

Cordialement, ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
The important part of ROG's reply was that PT also has the same 'instrument definition' files. PT calls it a patch map. Once loaded it can show your synth's patches.
You can find the one you need here -

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

There are directions in support, inside the Patch Map file (in the comments) and I think inside the manual too.

Basically:
Download the correct Patch Map, rename your existing Patch Map files (to preserve them), and then copy your new ones to your PT folder. It's easier than it sounds in the directions.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
Oh Great ! Thank You guys ! Exactly what I was looking for. I try it now and let You know what hapens here.
This procedure is not explained at all in manual or help menu...
Hopfully You're there !
cheers
ps : After Years I installed again PowerTracks because it s the only daw oriented to musicians (chord view, score, tap tempo map creation) . Cubase and Sonar are for Sound Engineers. Except new chord functions in Cubase7 but it costs allmost a thousand and weight dozens of GB...
Bigboss uses to, but not yet supported...
Ne light softs (reaper,Traktion,Bitwig,EnergyXT...) don't have scoring...
I hope PTPA2014 is now more acurate...
Exciting to try it.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
I have tryied but no success.
The list of devices is always the same, even with patches select dialog, my new XP30 does not appear. ( OK I did not connect it physically, but is it important at that level? I don't think so)
cry

in the /pt/ dir, the patches.bin hasn't change his date. strange when it is said that PTPA use patches.ini for building a new patches.bin file ....
booooo
maybe the xp30.ini file was programed for older versions of PT but not yet adapted to PTPA 2014.
I am sad because I have a lot of music work for my band and i am only spending time on PC configuration things, and no music !
Is PT still a toy for geeks ?
I need something in operation. Tired of that things.... tired
booooo

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
If you correctly rename the old file to something safe (to back it up) .. then download the patchmap and rename it correctly (important!) it will rebuild the new patches.bin file the next time you open PT. The file will not get rebuilt until you open PT, is this what you neglected?

The fact that your patches.bin is still showing an an old date tells me you did not take the proper steps. It will work when done right.
Joy is just around the corner, you should try again.

Once the patches.bin changes date (gets rebuilt) make sure you go to Options - Patch Names to select the correct mapping.

Last edited by rharv; 07/09/14 06:25 PM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
I think I did exactly that :

1: in /my documents/ rename xp30.ini to patches.ini
2: in ..pt/ rename patches.ini to patches.ino
3: copy paste patches.ini from /my documents/ to /pt/
4: run PTPA
5: close PTPA

>> nothing

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
You need to delete or rename the patches.BIN file as well - if it sees the patches.bin file it has no reason to try and "re-build" it

good luck
Llarry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Read above ^^

As mentioned in the directions (and by Larry); you have to rename or delete the patches.bin file also, so when you open PT it knows it should rebuild it.
It then uses the new Patches.ini to compile the new Patches.bin (which in turn the program actually uses).

I alluded to this earlier in the thread also, but wasn't detailed with it.
"Once the patches.bin changes date (gets rebuilt).."

Thanks, Larry, for clarifying what I glossed over.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I'm glad to help

Seems like I only get to help folks about once a year and usually with the easy stuff.

But that is great because, it's NICE to be part of a forum where there are so many knowledgeable FRIENDLY folks willing and able (I won't even start a list of names - too many would be left off - I'm old and forget things too easily) to jump right in with great solutions so fast (I can't type that fast)

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 07/11/14 01:13 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
ok thank You. I will try this ( delete patches.bin) as soon as possible. PTPA is very nice but lack of documentation ( nothing in manual or help about this). Hopefully You, guys, are here...
thanks a lot

PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
I have tried that but no success :
delete : patches.bin
put the new patches.ini in /pt folder
run PTPA
exit PTPA

nothing is new : in the "patch dialog" menu , PT shows again the same list of instruments : GM list, GM drums ... but nothing about my XP30 instruments.
also : PTPA did not rebuild any new patches.bin file !

Could You please try yourself the process on your computer and see what hapens ? Do any of you use an external midi synth with new patches list ?

The only mistake I can imagine is :
I have installed PT in folder C:/Program files/pt , but not in C:/Program files (x86)/pt . And my windows is w7x64. tired

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
You NEED to reinstall PTPA to ANY folder EXCEPT:

C:\Program Files (which is for 64 bit programs of which PTPA is NOT one), or

C:\Program Files (X86) (which is for 32 bit programs even though PTPA is 32 bit do not install here).

The Win OS, since Vista, does like (let) running programs, e.g., PTPA, modify files there; therefore, PTPA cannot create a new patches.bin file in that directory.

Larry

PowerTracks Pro Audio
O
oliv928 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
Ok something better now.
I must run PTPA as administrator. The the process is engaged. Better now !
More to follow as I will see if instruments list is OK or not...
Thank You.
It should be good if everything was written in the manual...

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I forgot, so yes do "run as administrator"

I forget sometimes to remind folks of that since, on all my PC's and laptops, I'm the only user - I ONLY set accounts that are Admin.

good luck
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 07/17/14 11:28 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,359
Members38,411
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213