Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#255781 07/08/14 02:12 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
K
kaylen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I treated myself to the band in a box everything pack,just after install last year my world demanded me and I was away from music for half a year,I finally have some time now and want to play with the program. I am usually able to figure things out (eventually) but would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
My instrument is flute and at this point all I want to do is have pre made songs play that I could play along with. like I said I think its all installed and the sound works but I dont know where to begin. thanks in advance for any help.and you can count on me in the future to contribute

Music is as useless and unimportant as life itself
kaylen #255783 07/08/14 03:17 PM
Veteran
Veteran
kaylen,

Your choice was excellent for the Everything Pak.
As you know some number of videos do come with that.

In addition PG folks have put together a great library of
additional videos.

Does take some time, but well worth the effort.
Pick and choose a bit to see what direction you want to go.
http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Also welcome to great set of forums and helpful members.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
seeker #255785 07/08/14 03:29 PM
K
kaylen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
thank you . I will start there, I am not in a rush ,and actually do play my flute almost every day but I am looking forward to playing with some accompaniment

kaylen #255793 07/08/14 04:41 PM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

The way I started with BIAB (more than two decades ago) was to take a song I know very well and enter it into BIAB, then play around with it learning what each change does. Frank's tip about the videos is good and probably makes learning a lot easier now.

By the way, I play flute, and you are fortunate that you play a non-transposing instrument. BIAB handles instruments in other keys very well, but it does add another step to learn that you don't need.

Have fun!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
kaylen #255794 07/08/14 04:42 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Kaylen,

I remember when I first started with BIAB (version 2006). From that experience, I can say that there is definitely a learning curve associated with the program but it is well worth persevering. It's a great program. I couldn't be without the program these days.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #255803 07/08/14 06:36 PM
K
kaylen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
thanks all, I got it going, played along with a few.thats all I wanted to do for now ,,I plan to explore and try to figure out as much as I can, I feel very lucky that there are people willing to help, I will not abuse that and try my best to figure things out before asking of your time,,,

kaylen #255821 07/08/14 08:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran
kaylen,

We neglected to give you this.
It allows a person to zero in on specific subjects nicely.
http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq.htm

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
kaylen #255844 07/09/14 06:09 AM
Veteran
Veteran
And..... you an always come to this forum to ask specific questions.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps, to get started, you may just want to have lots of songs to play along with. They are easy to get.

A number of users have built websites with lots of songs ready to go. One of them is posted below. Just found it myself a few days ago when I was looking for a particular song for a gig.

Should keep you busy for a while...

http://www.igidigi.nl/biab/index.html

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
kaylen #255874 07/09/14 03:11 PM
Expert
Expert
The Beauty about Band in A Box (BIAB) is that you don't need to know the program in any depth. I use it every day for years and I simply either 1] select a song using the song select button, or, 2] enter a few chords into a blank screen, define tempo, key, number of bars and choruses (all done just above the chord sheet; choose a style, and off I go. its great for scale practice too, turn solo the drums and you have a great metronome.

If your unsure about the difference between Audio and MIDI, learn this first, before you go deeper.

Welcome smile

Last edited by ZeroZero; 07/09/14 03:17 PM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
kaylen #256025 07/11/14 04:20 AM
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Thanks Flatfoot. Finally a list where someone shares their creations. I love this program, but often I m ask to perform songs for a special event that I just don't have the time to create. I was always hoping for a site where people post songs that we all know, but just needed the structure created as a shortcut. I do use the ACW but it still takes time to correct, get the tempo right, etc... Thanks a ton for sharing. Got any more?

marty c #256028 07/11/14 05:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: marty c
Thanks a ton for sharing. Got any more?

That does look like a large collection. In past years it was very easy to find 1000's of BIAB Tunes on the internet. Today not so much due to, well you know... wink

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

marty c #256034 07/11/14 05:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran
.......... I do use the ACW but it still takes time to correct, get the tempo right, etc...

Quite often, when I need to input a song into BB to use RB to render tracks, I find that it's just easier and faster to input the chords manually. Depends greatly on the chords used in the song as to whether ACW can figure it out accurately or not.

Inputting a song manually is generally a matter of only a few minutes. Since all verses and all choruses (respectively) are the same.... it's just the time to figure them out and then copy and paste. 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I have spent way more time than that trying to get ACW to give me something useful on several songs. Switched to manual and was done a few minutes later.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
marty c #256036 07/11/14 06:29 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I love this program, but often I m ask to perform songs for a special event that I just don't have the time to create. I was always hoping for a site where people post songs that we all know, but just needed the structure created as a shortcut. I do use the ACW but it still takes time to correct, get the tempo right, etc... Thanks a ton for sharing. Got any more?

My advice for these situations is download a MIDI version of the request and import it into your DAW. If you don't have a favorite DAW already then use the DAW that comes with BiaB, RealBand. Then delete the lead part and record your flute.

Another option is to buy a fake book that Notes Norton has a fake disc: http://nortonmusic.com/

Norton fake discs are BiaB backing tracks for all of the songs in the corresponding fake book. The backing tracks are in the same key and use the identical chord structure that is in the fake book. I find these extremely valuable. These save me a ton of time!

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
kaylen #256046 07/11/14 09:30 AM
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Thanks guys. Don't see all the fuss in not allowing us to share - not sell - stuff we build in BIAB. Even cover songs. We all play these songs out - often for pay. That seems more illegal than sharing a BIAB file.

marty c #256054 07/11/14 10:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran
>>>....download a MIDI version of the request and import it into your DAW...>>>

If you open up the MIDI in Real Band, it will figure out the chords in a way that BiaB will understand. You can then delete all the tracks from the MIDI that are not the melody, and the chords will be remembered. Save in Realband, then open in BiaB. You will get melody and chords. Pick a BiaB style and you are about done.

Last edited by flatfoot; 07/11/14 11:11 AM.

My BiaB lesson site:
kaylen #256056 07/11/14 10:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Oh - and, Kaylen - make sure you understand how BiaB handles transposing.

On any song, find where it gives the name of the key. Click on the letter of the key and you will get TWO lists of keys that you can change to. One transposes and changes the notation. The other just changes the notation - the sound does not change.

Make sure you understand the two ways of transposing before you go much further...

My BiaB lesson site:
marty c #256058 07/11/14 11:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Even cover songs. We all play these songs out - often for pay. That seems more illegal than sharing a BIAB file.

Don't confuse what you may do with what is legal or illegal. In these instances I follow the rules of fight club and we all know the first rule of fight club.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
>>>...Don't see all the fuss in not allowing us to share...>>>

Fuss? I did not notice any fuss ... what am I missing?

My BiaB lesson site:
K
kaylen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
wow,,I started this thread and didn't know it was still going...I;m impressed with the amount, and quality of the responses,,,I did manage to get started and am looking forward to learning this program in more depth.I have some experience with DAWS, I will take it slow and enjoy as much as I can on the way....thank you all sincerely

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195