You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#251080 - 05/25/14 10:45 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ?
Joe V Offline
Expert

Loc: NYC
...preferably, songs that people like !!!

Hi all - I'm working hard at paying my dues to learn to play modally - and while playing scales and chord harmonies are important - I'd like to ENJOY more of my practice time.

Can anyone recommend some tunes that stay reasonably "in mode" for the 7 various modes (excluding locrian - because it's so rarely uses from what I understand).

Also - some vamps for melodic minor, harmonic major, augmented, and diminished practice.

Thanks in advance,
Joe V.

#251085 - 05/25/14 11:12 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: Joe V]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
SoundCloud

#251088 - 05/25/14 11:25 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: Joe V]
GHinCH Offline
Expert

Loc: Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
I recall having seen a list of songs in written in the different modes, but I do not recall where. I'll try to find the source.

Edit:

Well I found it. Chris Smart on the Jazz Guitar list has put up a list with songs for all modes except locrian and asked the others.

Here is the list:

1. Ionian:

G Ionian: Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
G Ionian: Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring - J.S. Bach
G Ionian: Brown-eyed Girl - Van Morison
E Ionian: Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones
F Ionian: Call Me Al - Paul Simon
F Ionian: Free Falling - tom Petty
C Ionian: Down on the Corner - CCR
C Ionian: Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
C Ionian: Let It Be - The Beatles
D Ionian: Goodbye to Romance - Ozzy Osbourne
D Ionian: Ode To Joy - Beethoven
B Ionian: Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani

2. Dorian:

D and Eb Dorian: So What - Miles Davis (melody is in the bass line)
D Dorian: Another Brick IN the Wall part 2 - Pink Floyd
E Dorian Scarborough Fair - Simon and Garfunkel
E Dorian: A Horse with no name - America
E Dorian: Riders On the Storm - The Doors
E Dorian: Who Will Save Your Soul - Jewel
E Dorian: Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
A Dorian: Fly Like an Eagle - the Steve Miller Band
F# Dorian: Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult
G Dorian: Surfing With The Alien - Joe Satriani
Ab Dorian: Light My Fire - The Doors (solo section only!)

3. Phrygian:

A Phrygian: Mr. Man - Alicia Keys (melody also uses harmonic minor on the V chord)
C Bemsha Swing - Thelonious Monk
F# Phrygian: White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

added by sonomatips:
Keith Jarrett's tune 'Spiral Dance' fron his "Belonging" album is in phrygian mode.

4. Lydian:

Theme music from The Simpsons and the Jetsons
C lydian: Flying In A Blue Dream - Joe Satriani
G Lydian: Jane Says - Jane's Addiction
D Lydian: Hey Jealousy - the Gin Blossoms
D Lydian: Oceans - Pearl Jam
C Lydian E.T. Theme - John Williams
A Lydian: Here Comes My Girl - Tom Petty (intro and verses)
E Lydian: Hog Heaven - Frank Zappa

5. Mixolydian:

E Mixolydian: Norwegian Wood - The Beatles
E Mixolydian: Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
D Mixolydian: Bodysnatchers and Give UP the Ghost - Radiohead
E Mixolydian: NO Rain - Blind Melon
E Mixolydian: I'm So Glad - Cream
Ab Mixolydian: On Broadway - George Benson
A Mixolydian: Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band
G Mixolydian: Lowrider - War
D Mixolydian: Dear Prudence - The Beatles
D Mixolydian or G Ionian: Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Db Mixolydian: Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns 'n Roses (solo section in Eb Aeolian)
A Mixolydian: Dark Star and Fire ON the Mountain - The Grateful Dead
Eb Mixolydian: Here Comes Your Man - Pixies
* Scottish bagpipe music is sort of in Bb Mixolydian.

6. Aeolian:

A Aeolian: Black Orpheus - Luis Bonfa
A Aeolian: Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac
A Aeolian: I Kissed a Girl - Katie Perry
A Aeolian: First Tube - Phish
A Aeolian: Losing My Religion - R.E.M.
B Aeolian: Building a Mystery - Sara McLachlan
C Aeolian: You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi
C Aeolian: Sweet Dreams" - the Eurythmics or Marilyn Manson
C Aeolian: Blue Bossa - Kenny Dorham (the bridge modulates up a semi-tone to Ionian)
C Aeolian: All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
D Aeolian: Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
D Aeolian: Black Magic Woman: Fleetwood Mac or Santana (ending section of the Santana version is in D mixolydian)
E Aeolian: Paranoid - Black Sabbath

7. Locrian (added by akmbirch)

British folk song artist, John Kirkpatrick, "Probably the only song in the revival repertoire written in the Locrian mode "Dust To Dust":
Available on Amazon (A nice collection!)
A Folk Song A Day: April
http://amzn.to/11qwHb5

Have fun practising.

Guido

Edited by GHinCH (05/25/14 11:54 AM)

#251197 - 05/26/14 07:46 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: Joe V]
Joe V Offline
Expert

Guido - this list is EXCELLENT - thanks so much for sharing !!! I know many of these songs - yet can't hear the modal aspects of any in my head. This will be a huge help for me.

#251205 - 05/26/14 08:56 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: Joe V]
GHinCH Offline
Expert

Loc: Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
I'm still not good hearing the properties of the different modes. But I practise with German children songs like "Alle meine Entchen". It is an easy meoldy using the first six notes of the major scale. See here: http://www.kinderliederbox.de/liederseiten/alle_meine_entchen/alle-meine-entchen.html

Now walk through the modes.
Ionian: C, D, E, F, G, G, A, A, A, G...
Dorian: D, E, F, G, A, A, B, B, B, A...
Phrygian: E, F, G, A, B...

You get the drift. For me listening to a song in mixolydian doesn't really help. Playing the same song in different modes helps a lot.

Guido

Edited by GHinCH (05/26/14 08:57 AM)

#251210 - 05/26/14 09:15 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: Joe V]
Joe V Offline
Expert

Hey - great suggestion again Guido....I think this is probably one of the least mastered areas that separates musicians. I know I've 'read' about it for years, but did not pay my dues. Now, at 48, I'm paying them...wish I did it earlier.

#256065 - 07/11/14 02:52 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: GHinCH]
soolan Offline
Apprentice

WOW thank you GNiNCH taking the time to type that listing.

Edited by soolan (07/11/14 02:53 PM)

#256092 - 07/11/14 07:04 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: Joe V]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Guido,

What is the Jazz Guitar List?

#256305 - 07/13/14 07:57 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the best songs to learn to get various 'modal sounds' into your ears ? [Re: rockstar_not]
pghboemike Online   content
Veteran

PG Music News
#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Forum Stats
28075 Members
57 Forums
54430 Topics
450052 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
chuchu2000, Tonklagen, hwp, Pblatt, ugtk

28074 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 173
David Snyder 146