Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#25721 06/09/09 12:33 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This isn't an ad, per se. However, Sonivox is now offering 'SoundStage', a 1 gigabyte DVI (Digital Virtual Instrument) in DXi, VSTi, RTAS, and AU formats.

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductDetail.asp?Item=SoundStage&nws=06/08/2009

Depending on your taste, it may take you to 'the next level' of your music making ability. There is a three day trial of the fully functional synth, and the price, at $99, isn't too bad, either. Maybe a good choice for someone considering moving up from the Roland VSC to the Forte, or beyond, or someone who has the Forte and isn't happy with it.

This is FYI.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I downloaded the trial file, five day trial period.

I took a MIDI file that I had, one of Doug McKenzie's I think, simple piano, bass and drums.

Since I can't get the thing to work right in Real Band, I opened the file up in Sonar, set three tracks to the SoundStage, and then recorded it to one audio file, which was saved as a .wma file (pretty big, 15 megs)

It really doesn't sound too bad. I juiced up the treble on the drums a bit, which is easy from the plug in, since it has a full editing suite built into every window.

My impression is that this would make a good move up from anyone wanting something more than the Roland VSC.

It also works with Sonar on my Vista 64 bit machine as a VSTi. In my previous post I said it was a DXi, I was incorrect.

http://www.catsmeowcafe.com/Music/MP3s/sst.wma

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

... Since I can't get the thing to work right in Real Band, ...

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay Mac,
To specify; As you know, I prefer to work in hardware based gear. Hence, I have a MIDI interface, and do not use software synths very often.

I loaded a copy of SoundStage to the first MIDI track, and then loaded separate instances to the other two channels. So, three instances of the synth running at the same time. I couldn't change the individual patches at all on them. MIDI channels 1, 2 and 10. All instances of the synth would produce the same sound. So, load drums to the drum track, and all of the synths play drums. Load the piano, and all play piano. I didn't have that issue in Sonar.

Hence, 'Since I can't get the thing to work right in Real Band....'

I also have horrible issues trying to use it as a stand alone synth, the sound is just stuttering, repeating, and doesn't sound anything like what it should.

But, I still think that for those who are looking for an upgrade to the VSC, it may be worth looking at. Especially if you have a 32 bit OS, XP probably, and have any amount of luck running VSTis with Real Band and PowerTracks Pro Audio. I do not know if this is a multi-timbral synth or not, so you may not be able to use it in BIAB

Gary

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I only highlighted that because I immediately had visions of people trying it in RealBand, or PT, which is pretty much the same, then here come the posts...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Since I don't use the soft synths, I haven't really followed any of the threads on them. I know there's been issues with some stuff, in Vista and so forth, but I wasn't sure how bad it was.

I dunno, I just put it out there.

Gary

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi, Gary.

I downloaded that Sonivox thing after reading your message. It sounds very good, as expected. I use many of their soundfonts and a couple of these new "VI" programs they are forced to offer, now that the masses have lost the ability to make a soundfont play.

Sonivox have always sounded good, and this thing re-uses the same old samples, which keeps its cost low. It's a pretty good buy. A Sonivox instrument purchased separately costs from $20 to $60, or more. These in the GM set are (sometimes greatly) stripped down, but it's a cheap deal.

That standalone version plays very well. You have to use an ASIO driver. Set its buffer to a value your CPU can handle (maybe 128 or 256 samples), and go to it.

I won't buy it, because it is a lower-quality version of stuff I already have. But it's a HUGE improvement over a VSC and a fair bit nicer than Coyote Forte's stock sounds. Sonivox sounds will make good backing tracks. Very strong strings. The brass is no more than customarily hideous.

-- Larry

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Their strings are strong. I'm still searching for the best string ensemble soundfont out there.
Some close - most cheesy.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
One thing i did recently is to buy the new cakewalk MC5 which has TTS, which is miles better than VSC, and also has a new VSTi called Sound center, which is a sampler that plays 150 selected samples from Dimension Pro and Rapture. Plus a small drum kit program called studio drums. These three along with RTs and RD make some hot backing tracks.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
S
S
It sort of looks like it's not multitimbral which would make it of limited use for BIAB users. Some of the individual sounds do sound quite good so it would be a contender if it was multitimbral. I have an email into Sonivox support on this and will report back.

BTW: My current "One VST fits all" solution is Purity by Luxonix. I never hear this mentioned by BIAB users, but it works fine (other than a tendency to link the Bass and Piano, which is fixable). Sounds quite good for the rock/pop stuff I do. It's easy on resources and I think I paid roughly the same as what Sonivox is offering for SoundStage.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
It's got to be multi-timbral, hasn't it? I've already removed it from the machine, so I can't check. It's set up like the usual GM2 or GS sort of thing. Several banks. You can't play more than one patch at a time in standalone mode, of course; MIDI instructions should let you reach all those banks and patches.

Thanks for the tip about "Purity". I had never heard of it. Will go see it now.

Added: I checked the Sonivox site again. SoundStage is constructed to the Roland GS specification. So it's surely multi-timbral in the normal way. Anything else would be weird and sub-spec, so they would assume it was unnecessary to mention. They'll reply to you soon and verify that, I believe.

Your Luxonix instrument sounds good, Stan. Their demo MP3 is extensive and varied. Am I right to guess that the sounds are Rock- and New Age-oriented? Or is that just the demo players' preference

Last edited by allis; 06/10/09 05:58 PM.

Larry
______
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don't know Larry, you think it would be, but I just opened it up in BIAB, and everything plays piano. I don't think it is.

Gary

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
BiaB's VST implementation is pretty weak. We should not be too surprised by what you observe, even if the Sonivox is a normal GS device.

-- Larry

You got me curious, Gary, so I re-installed the SoundStage. I just get the same effect as you, no matter what I do, all instruments playing piano -- except the Thru channel, which still plays the hardware synth!

So I dunno, and I don't really care enough to figure it out. I do hope Stan reports back on what Sonivox told him, though.

Last edited by allis; 06/10/09 09:48 PM.

Larry
______
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What this thing looks like it might be the quite famous Sonic Implants soundfonts bundled into a soundfont player, arranged by GM & GS patch assignments. I read some of the reviews of the individual instruments (I went right to the acoustic piano page) and the reviewer talked about downloading the piano sound from their Sonic Implants page.

Sonic Implants soundfonts always were quite good. They would give one away now and then back 5-6 years ago.

I would be very surprised if it is not multi-timbral - which I think you might mean that it responds to multiple MIDI channels, assigned to different instrument patches.

If it isn't, then it's really not that great of a deal. Not enough info on the product page to tell yes or no.

-Scott

Off-Topic
S
S
Sonivox provided this answer:

"Hey Stan,

Thanks for your inquiry. To answer your question, no, this version of
Soundstage is not a multi-timbral instrument. Please let me know if you
have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Best,

Zach Nicholls
SONiVOX Sound That Rocks!"

... so, it's not multitimbral. Could be one to watch though

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I guess that answers that question.

I didn't play with all the sounds, but if they can't bundle a Multi-timbral module, who and what are they aiming for? I can't believe that anyone would buy that as a VSTi at that price point, with those sounds, if you have to assign individual tracks to instruments, you can do better.

Oh well.

Gary

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Agreed completely. Very surprisingly worthless.

Few of its sounds are really full enough to be satisfying for solo instruments, and now we know it's unusable for backup band. Nothing is left.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I mostly use Realtracks or the Ketron SD2 when creating my music but sometimes I cannot get just the right sound I am looking for. Often I find it useful to convert a MIDI track to a WAV using Forte or Bandstand then use the PG DXi effects to fine tune. It seems this new software synth has many great sounds and is very useful in the way I describe above. I think I will try it when I get access to a faster Internet connection. The Great Firewall of China prevents me from successfully downloading such a larger file. The filters and monitoring slows downloads to a crawl sometimes and often the connection freezes causing failure of the download.

AMD FX-8350 4.6 GHz, 16G RAM, solid-state drives, Windows 10, Scarlett Audio Interface, 2021 BIAB & RB, FL Studio Producer, Studio One Producer, Melodyne Editor, Ozone Advanced.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,628
Posts735,223
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185