Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo,

my operating system is Windows 8 and I use the BiaB-version 2012.5. I create songs, which I render with "Render to Audo File" / "DXi - Direct Render (save WAV file)".
This works in the majority of cases.

But again and again (about every 15th song) there are mistakes in the WAV file. The mistake, that mostly occurs, is, that there are notes lacking in the melody track. In few cases there are mistakes in other intrument tracks.

I choose for rendering in this case "One WAV File per Track" and compose the seperate files in another software, which is annoying.

I didn't find a reason for the conditions of this mistake (e.g. certain styles). So I'm desperatly looking for a solution to avoid this mistake. I would be really relieved, if you could give me a hint.

tilia

Veteran
Veteran
Interesting problem. When you find a song that does this, does that one song always fail? Or are you saying every so often, it fails on a song at random? If it's a specific song, you could upload the .SGU or .MGU file to some place on the Internet (like Dropbox) and give us a link to it for testing.

And, are you up to date with Build 357?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo Matt,

the songs fail again, if they are rendered a second time; at least in most cases. (I didn't try it often, because it would take too much time to control the songs after each trial.)

And, yes, I have Build 357.

I uploaded two different .MGU files. I uploaded also the rendered files (as MP3 files), so you can hear the lacking notes in the melody track.

www.verena-tillessen.de/fj4_175.MGU

www.verena-tillessen.de/fj4_175_Render.MP3
(lacking notes beginning in measure 5)

www.verena-tillessen.de/eg426.MGU

www.verena-tillessen.de/eg426_Render.MP3
(lacking notes beginning in measure 28)

I'd be very grateful, if you could test it.

tilia

T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Anybody out there, who has an idea?

tilia

Veteran
Veteran
Hi tilia,

I've tried 'fj4_175.MGU and have listened to the corresponding mp3. The notes that are missing are bass notes. What might be happening is that BIAB is generating some bass notes that are too low and are not supported by your sound card.

Have a look under "Opts | Prefs" and then click on the "Arrange" button. Check that the setting for the lowest bass note is "E2".

If that doesn't solve the problem, have you tried "Return To Factory Settings" under the "Opt" menu? I've found that when BIAB starts doing strange things, a factory reset often fixes the problem.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo Noel,

thank you for your answer.
If nothing helps, I'm goingt to return to factory settings.

Maybe bass notes are missing, too. But the biggest problem are the lot of missing melody notes (in fj4_175: vibraphone).

Thanks
tilia

T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo,

I'd like to add the following information:
I tested it meanwhile on a PC of a friend, who has Band in a box 2014. The same problem occurs.
I tested it also on another PC with Biab 2012.5.
The melody notes are missing, regardless of version and OS.

tilia

Veteran
Veteran
I do not use BIAB to render audio/midi to mp3 since I move all more tracks to a DAW for that purpose.

But my systems is up to spec in all areas running current 2014 version of BIAB, so I loaded your fj4_175.MGU file and gave it a listen. Sounds fine. Then I started to render to mp3 and ran into error messages on the conversion steps and could not make the mp3. I guess I now recall why I don't use BIAB for making mp3. A quick search of the forum reveal even the sage advice of our mentor Mac confirmed he don't use BIAB for making mp3's either.

Have you tried rendering to .wav? Do you get all the notes? Once in a wave format there are many options to go to mp3.

Sorry, never mind all that mp3 stuff. I see you are talking waves. So I went back and rendered to .wav. All sounds good as I listen now. the melody in vibes sounds like it is all there? But I don't know the song good enough to know if something is missing.

What sound sythn are you using to render the midi?? I use Coyote Forte. The problem may be there. Can you try a different synth? Oh and for god sakes, please first reset to factory settings as this is always the first to do when anything unusual is happening.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 08/03/14 08:38 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo Jazzmandan,

thank you for your answer! I use the DXi-Synth, supported by BiaB.

Meanwhile I resetted to factory settings. After I've done that, the problem starts in the measure 20, not in the measure 5 as before, but as you understand that's not much of a help.

Since fj4_145 is not a popular song and you may not hear the mistakes right away, please compare it with the notation window of BiaB.

tilia

Veteran
Veteran
tilia,

Does the file play properly prior to rendering it?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo Noel,

at first, it does, later it doesn't.

See this:
1) I choose from the 24 'Built-in' Styles "Pop ballad" (if the song is in 4/4 time) or "Waltz" (if the song is in 3/4 time).
2) I choose File/Import Chords from MIDI File an import the MIDI-File.
3) I edit the file, e.g. change chords, change verses and so on.
THIS "RAW" SONG PLAYS ALWAYS PROPERLY, without any missing notes.

4) I choose a style.
Afterwards SOME MGU-FILES DON'T PLAY PROPERLY, there are melody notes missing (about every thenth or fifteenth song).

To your question: No, the special MGU-Files don't play properly prior to rendering it. I only take notice of it, after I rendered the song.

Your question makes me think, that the problem is not due to the rendering process, but to some problem in Band in Box itself ...

tilia

Veteran
Veteran
So, I played with it a little bit and when I used the Coyote WT synth, there were dropped notes. However, when I used the Cakewalk TTS-1 synth, it played and rendered fine on my machine. Didn't have time to check it deeply, but that was my down and dirty look at it.

Probably not the problem, but another thing to look at is to make sure you don't have melody embellishment turned on, as that can affect the notes played in the melody.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
John has a good tip, check the embellishment settings. While I normally get more notes, like turns or grace notes, it may be possible with the settings to tell BIAB to omit notes in some cases. I'm not at a PC but I think this is either in the Melody or the Play menu.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo John and Matt,
thank you for your answers.

I consider to buy Cakewalk Music Creator 6 to install Cakewalk TTS-1.

I just wonder, whether other users of BiaB don't have the described problem. I edit neither special songs nor choose special styles. John can reproduce the problem with the dropped notes on his pc. If lots of users would have the same problem, wouldn't PG Music supply another synth than Coyote WT?

Concerning the melody embellishment: it is not turned on.

tilia

Veteran
Veteran
You have to realize that the Coyote WT isn't really a true Synth. It's simply a wrapper that makes the built in, high latency, Microsoft provide MIDI Wavetable synth act like a VSTi synth. I imagine that just like folks who have problems using ASIO4ALL as a wrapper for their sound card to get ASIO to work, there are glitches with the synth wrapper, as well.

PGMusic provides is mainly as a means to allow you to use a VSTi synth with their product; however, it really is very basic and the sounds are very good. Most folks get something else.

Even using one of the available VSTi soundfont players along with a good GM soundfont is better than using the Microsoft synth (wrapped or not).

Just a thought...

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
tilia,

In all my years of using BIAB, I have never once had the problem that's affecting you. I haven't read abaout anything similar on the forums either.

I don't use midi files as the basis of my songs, though. I always start from scratch. It makes wonder if part of the problem is somehow related to those midi files and information contained within them.

First off, though, could you let me know what you have selected in your MIDI/Audio Driver Setup. (This is located under "Opt | Preferences" and then select "MIDI Driver".

The image above show my settings. I'd like to know how your settings vary in relation to those items I've numbered 1 to 6. (Note that item #3 refers to both checkboxes.) In relation to #4, what is your synth (it's listed in the square brackets)? As you can see, mine is the VSC/DXi synth from Roland.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I had asked long ago for what is set in #4. Here's mine.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
Hi tilia,

I listened again to your mp3 tonight with headphones and did hear the missing notes. They seem to happen whenever the same pitch is played in a row. I noticed in the notation window that there is no spacing in the note durations so I'm thinking that maybe the rendering is failing to trigger the second note if the same note ends exactly where the next note of the same pitch begins. When entering melodies into BIAB using the mouse, the duration of the previous note is shorted by some small percentage if I remember correctly.

I've modified the melody note duration for your file fj4_175.MGU which you can download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tggtpbjcf0wraz1/fj4_175_reduced_note_duration.MGU

Could you download and see if that renders correctly for you? I hope that works...if it does the note durations can be pretty quickly edited in the piano roll window by right-clicking to select all the notes and then holding down the shift key and dragging the handle on one of the note ends a small amount to the left to shorten the durations of all the notes.

Good luck,
Ed

T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hallo,

thanks to all!

@jazzmandan
When you asked for the synth some time ago, I regrettably didn't know enough about this. It took some time to realize, that one can use different synths for DXi/VSTi.

@ed
This would have been great. I see: Importing MIDI-files results in exact durations of notes, where one note ends, when the next one starts.
I shortened the durations of all notes in the piano roll window as you described. After I've done that, the notes sadly are still missing, in the .MGU-file just as in the rendered .WAV-file.
However, I wonder, whether this point is part of the problem.
By the way, I've problems playing your .MGU-file. Maybe there are incompatiblities between the english and german version of BiaB.

@Noel and Jazzmandan
Here are my Settings.

For VSTi/DXi Synth Settings I could switch from Coyote WT to SampleTank 2.x, but what I read, this would be not recommendable.
As I wrote, I consider to install Cakewalk TSS-1.

@Noel
You are wondering, whether the midi files could be part of the problem. I create the midi files with a notation software called smartscore. As I wrote, with most of the songs, those midi files work good.

tilia

T
tilia Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Postscript:

I ordered Cakewalk Music Creator 6. I think it's worth anyway. As I see, most of you use another synth than Coyote WT.
I will inform you about the results!

Thanks
tilia

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,670
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200