Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I mean I can get this for basic chords such as minors and majors, but how do you get to the answers with more exotic chords like altered and flat nines, Lydian dominants and similar?

What's the ears calculation?

For a dominant it seems like anything is legit in many cases.

Anyone please?

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 07/31/14 03:28 PM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
Zero,

Regarding the extension of dominant harmony. As you note, there are many possibilities. The main factors that control good choices (from my experience at least) are ...

1. The melody

For example if the chord has a Bb in it and the melody has either a B natural, it's possible the chord won't sound the best.

2. The key signature

For example, if my song is in the key of F with the essential Bb, then this will impact on some chords. Let's say I wanted an A7 variation in F major. I couldn't easily choose A9 because that would potentially conflict with the Bb in the key signature; a better choice would probably be to flatten the 9th and use A7b9.

3. The chords that precede and follow the dominant harmony.

Where possible (but not always), I like to prepare a dissonance as it helps make the chord change smoother.

For example, let's say, I like the sound of A7b9 for a particular bar (my key is F major). The two dissonant notes are the 7th (G) and the b9th (Bb). For a chord that leads into the A7b9, I'd first look for something that has G and Bb in it (some possibilities relevant to F major could be C7, Bb6, Gm7, Dm6, Em7b5). If I can't find a chord that appeals, I'd then aim to find something that contains at least one of the dissonant notes.

For a chord that follows the A7b9, I keep in mind that dissonant notes usually drop by either a tone or a semitone to a note in the scale of the key signature. Thus Bb (b9th) will probably drop to A and G (7th) will probably drop to F. Suitable chords that contain both these notes are F, Dm, Dm6 (if the 9th doesn't drop but stays on Bb), Bb, etc.

The above is a bit of an overview of what goes on inside my head when I'm trying to work out how best to arrange a song.

Hope these thoughts are useful,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
zero - There's a free Berklee College of Music course taught by none other than Gary Burton which goes into this to some extent, perhaps not to the depth that you are seeking, but at least it addresses the modes and some of the 'extensions' you are referring to and how to look for what would make sense in an improvisation sense. I will re-take the class again, because I think I absorbed about 10% of the material first time around.

Here's the listing for the class:

https://www.coursera.org/course/improvisation

Next session opens October 13. It's a tough course, I'll just warn you up front. There's quite a bit of homework involving analysing existing songs and scores for appropriate modes and so forth. Don't be discouraged by the first week's assignment - it's rather difficult. What can help is to look up other versions of the first week's assignment on YouTube - to get a sense for the melody of the original song.

The course almost takes the opposite approach of your question - in that it's teaching improvisation techniques based on chords and key signature, and looking for what scales work best in a situation when you aren't told "oh here, you would use mixolydian then switch to dorian in the next measure, etc."

But the 'extensions' and the appropriate improvisation mode scale, coupled with the melody and how it's interacting with leading chord notes are absolutely interrelated. I think you would find many of your answers by taking the class. Oh, did I mention that it's free and the instructor is Gary Burton?

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you for the replies I will certainly consider the Burton Course - I am a big fan of Getz who played with him all the time.
Gary said in a video I just watched that Getz only knew the triads and di the rest by ear!!!!

I read elsewhere he said he 'did not like listening to jazz and preferred the classics'

Err....

I have a lesson coming on Wednesday my first for a while. I look forward to that!

I can improvise freely over the major modes, but it all sounds quite 'major diatonic', so I started on minor modes, melodic minor modes, then I realise that the minor II V I's are NOT the equivalent of the major II V I's..... in the sense they are not the II, the V and the I of a parent minor key. In fact, the minor modes and the minor II V I's are very different. I post my findings in my other thread.

Noel: I will give some thought to what you have said. I am still puzzled by why the upper extension of a C major chord would often be considered as having a #11. I can understand this in a Lydian context, but it seems to apply elsewhere. In order to get in under my fingers, I have to really understand it.

I am doing a lot of work on this at present.

Z

Journeyman
Journeyman
Another way of thinking about extensions and organizing them coherently is provided by using a common or group of closely related upper structures (e.g. the first triad inversion of each major minor diminished chord) over a slash bass note. This is the sort of late romantic/ impressionist approach which is now synonymous with a lot of modern jazz music created in what might be called a post-Bill Evans/Herbie Hancock style.

A number of liberating creative options result from this kind of thinking.

If you so wish you can of course create a pool of compatible voicings to directly substitute for normal 7th and extended/ altered chords in a progression.

Alternatively harmonizing the melody using the same or similar upper structure triad creates the bonding agent tying the progression together rather than the resolution of individual chord tones. (See Ron Miller - Modal Jazz vol -advance music 1992)

Rather than as alternatives for distinct 7th or extended chords choosing the appropriate slash bass note becomes as much a matter of controlling and/or manipulating the contrapuntal relationship of the bass with the melody. (again check out Ron Miller)

The bass note can also be treated (on the basis of the overtone series) as a potential major triad and as such a countervailing key centre to that implied by the upper triad. This creates a logical basis for exploring exotic polytonal extended voicing within a framework of a cadential song form. (David Liebman - A Chromatic Approach To Jazz Harmony and Melody)

Songs can become dislocated from a central key centre. Improvising on each of the harmonies (depending on harmonic rhythm) can be difficult in the manner of a Giant Steps type progression but on the other hand yield original and stimulating results using motivic cell chains. (Check out guitarist John Abercrombie on Kenny wheeler's lovely MaBelle Helene for a clear example).

HTH

Alan

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero

I am still puzzled by why the upper extension of a C major chord would often be considered as having a #11.

It is unusual to find a #11 chord "by itself" for a sustained time. It strongly wants to move, usually to a IV chord. As such, you would often find this chord in the fourth, eighth etc. measure of a phrase = a transitional chord. It's a very odd tune where you get to land on this and blow over it for awhile. So, I don't know who said this is "often" an extension for a straight major chord, but I disagree. Even in Brazilian music, where #11 is used a lot, it still isn't "often". Minor point, I know...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Willie Myette was one source for this #4 thing...

Someone mentioned Russell's Lydian Chromatic Concept. I have an old copy but I must say that I found it hard to read.

what I got from him is that if you stack Perfect 5ths then you get a Lydian scale, not an Ionian. C, G, D,A, E, B, F# (not F). Perhaops this has something to do with it?

I can see the #11 on a major chord in the IV position, no problem.

Also, building from Lydian rather than Ionian, in perfect fifths, you can get a sequence where the Lydian is the brightest scale, the Ionian second brightest, then myxolidian, dorian, aeolian, phrygian, then LOcrian. Each scale changes by one note, and darkens.

the order is:
Lydian (#4)
Ionian (THE #4 is naturalised)
Myxolidian (the seventh is flattened)
Dorian (the third is flattened)
Aeoilian (the sixth is flattened)
Phrygian (the 9th is flattened)
Locrian (THe fifth is flattened)

The roots go down in fourths/up in fifths as do the alterations.

This makes sense to me (somehow) but I have been unable to relate it to alterations

Perhaps the #11 extension is really a Lydian thing, unless you looking for dischord?

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:
Another way of thinking about extensions and organizing them coherently is provided by using a common or group of closely related upper structures (e.g. the first triad inversion of each major minor diminished chord) over a slash bass note. This is the sort of late romantic/ impressionist approach which is now synonymous with a lot of modern jazz music created in what might be called a post-Bill Evans/Herbie Hancock style.

Alan, I read this a couple of times and did not really understand it. Could you spell it out or unpack the idea a bit please?

I know of "Upper Structure Triads" added RH major triads added on the 9th, b3rd, #11, b13th,but there does not seem to be much logic to them...to me..I can play them, but not really feel them.

Z

Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm referring to the upper structure triad use you mention here. Any triad can be used of course, whether major minor or diminished or augmented.

One way of dealing with them is to obtain a purposely limited palette or set of chords you can use with a similar sonority and interval spacing. It's a way of coming up with voicings, extensions and alterations methodically yet which you might not have thought of otherwise.

Employing just the root spelling of the triads you can opt to play these over a similar slash bass note (e.g. CMaj/Db, CMaj/D, Cmin/Db, Cmin/D etc..)

This particular group give you some interesting 'incomplete' voicings for familiar 7th and altered 7th suspended chords.

Cmaj/Db = DbmMaj7b5 ...........1 7 b3 b5
Cmaj/D = D9sus(no 5th)........1 b7 9 4
Cmin/Db = DbMaj9b5(no 3rd).....1 7 9 b5
Cmin/D = D7susb9 (no 5th).....1 b7 b9 4
Cdim/Db = Dbmaj9sus(no 5th)....1 7 9 4
Cdim/D = D7b9(no 5th).........1 b7 b9 3
Caug/Db = Dbmmaj9b5............1 7 b3 5
Caug/D = D9b5(no 3rd).........1 b7 9 b5

You may not like all of these voicings. I don't like Caug/Db in this context as it has the 3rd and 5th which seems to contradict the other chords and sounds out of place. But overall they work well together.
There's no reason why you wouldn't want to mix or alternate groups. Try combining/alternating chords from this set with slash chords using the 7th/b7th in the bass.

When I'm trying to reharmonize a melody however I like to use the slash chord approach in different ways. Firstly I think of an appropriate bass line that gives me a particular type of counterpoint or root movement; then I choose an appropriate inversion to go under the melody that gives a desired degree of tension at a particular point. Other times I might go the opposite route; start with the triads under the melody and then manipulate the bass line for root movement and tension.

Another way is to take an inventory of all the triad over alternate bass note possibilities and grade them for tension and/or implied functional possibilities. It's an interesting exercise to use tension chords like Emaj/C, Emaj/F or Edim/Ab as substitues for dominant functions even though strictly speaking they are not dominant 7th chords.

The more you get into this area of harmony the more natural it feels I think. Like everything else it's a matter of living with the material long enough to begin to 'feel' it as you rightly put it.
It helps of course if you happen to actually like the modern repertoire that makes use of this harmony. I'm thinking especially of ECM label jazz or related musics. Pianists such as Jarrett or Beirach. Composers such as Ralph towner or Kenny Wheeler.

In the end it depends on your willingness to experiment and do something slightly different from the usual. Again there's no need to feel this way if you're more comfortable dealing with the normal diatonic 7th chord spellings with chromatic alterations.

With the slash chord method however there's a tendency as Ralph Towner has stated to improvise melodic lines that are less tethered to the chord root and which gravitate more freely around the upper triad in a way that's very much in keeping with the music of Charlie Parker who was basically doing this long before anyone else and with obvious success.

Alan

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Zero,

Regarding the extension of dominant harmony. As you note, there are many possibilities. The main factors that control good choices (from my experience at least) are ...

1. The melody

For example if the chord has a Bb in it and the melody has either a B natural, it's possible the chord won't sound the best.

2. The key signature

For example, if my song is in the key of F with the essential Bb, then this will impact on some chords. Let's say I wanted an A7 variation in F major. I couldn't easily choose A9 because that would potentially conflict with the Bb in the key signature; a better choice would probably be to flatten the 9th and use A7b9.

3. The chords that precede and follow the dominant harmony.

Where possible (but not always), I like to prepare a dissonance as it helps make the chord change smoother.

For example, let's say, I like the sound of A7b9 for a particular bar (my key is F major). The two dissonant notes are the 7th (G) and the b9th (Bb). For a chord that leads into the A7b9, I'd first look for something that has G and Bb in it (some possibilities relevant to F major could be C7, Bb6, Gm7, Dm6, Em7b5). If I can't find a chord that appeals, I'd then aim to find something that contains at least one of the dissonant notes.

For a chord that follows the A7b9, I keep in mind that dissonant notes usually drop by either a tone or a semitone to a note in the scale of the key signature. Thus Bb (b9th) will probably drop to A and G (7th) will probably drop to F. Suitable chords that contain both these notes are F, Dm, Dm6 (if the 9th doesn't drop but stays on Bb), Bb, etc.

The above is a bit of an overview of what goes on inside my head when I'm trying to work out how best to arrange a song.

Hope these thoughts are useful,
Noel

Noel, I didn't thank you for that comment, its another great approach lest we forget.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Gary Burton repeats what you said he said about Getz in the Jazz Improv. course. If I recall what he said it goes something like "Stan Getz is the only jazz soloist/improviser that I know that doesn't have a command of the modal scales, yet what he plays is wonderful."

If you take that course, you'll run into where Burton makes that statement.

-Scott

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,671
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200