Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, one more WX5 story. I suspect some will not believe this, but for one of my concerts Mark Egan played fretless bass. We wanted to do one of his compositions from a CD on which he had played lead on fretless and 'regular' bass as well. So, I played his background bass part on the WX5 while he soloed. Worked.

If you don't think you know Mark, you're wrong, because you've heard him. He played for Sting, Joan Osborn and Pat Metheny, among so many others. One of the nicest cats around, too.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
<...> How often do you have to replace reeds?

They last for years. I gig weekly with it and don't remember the last time I replaced it. It's good go keep one spare. The pitch bend lever will eventually wear a groove in the back of the reed, and when the groove gets deep enough where you lose some control over the vibrato, then it's time to change.

Do you need lube and Recorder Cream to keep the thing working?

I use SIlicone 7 instead of recorder cream. I think Matt at Patchman sells it, if not Art at WindWorksDesign.com will have it.

I use it every time I take the mouthpiece off. Normally this is just for cleaning it, although eventually the plastic octave key cover will break (good to have a spare) and then you will have to take the controller apart. Not difficult, but a PITA. Gigging constantly I would guess once every few years.

Do you keep a spare WX cable around?

Always, but I've never used it.

If you are going to travel, I recommend the hard case. I'm glad you got one. If you are just going to play it at home, I don't think that is necessary. But if I go out to a gig, or even a friend's house, everything goes in a hard case. It's cheap insurance.

At first the thumb on the octave keys will be dumb. But your nervous system is quite flexible. In no time at all, the nerves on your thumb will come alive and you will be able to feel the difference.

I also have some of my personal tweaks for the VL with the Turbo chip on my website. Feel free to download and try them out if you like. Even if you end up changing a lot of them for your personal musical tastes, they could make a good lesson in matching the VL to the WX.

Tell your bride to learn one patch at a time. Especially at first. Each patch is like a different instrument in the way it responds. Have her start with a reed patch, sax or clarinet because it will be familiar to her. I started with clarinet (I don't play clarinet, but expressively it's a lot like the sax).

When you get the WX adjusted, have her play long tones holding the pitch at "pitch zero". There is a graph on the VL that will display pitch. Then have her do it with out, using her ears and a long tone on a sequencer for reference.

There is a little flat spot between below pitch and above pitch. My set up minimizes it so it feels more like a sax. If the pitch gain is set too low, the flat spot grows to a point where it makes vibrato difficult. I found this out with my WX7. Follow the setup instructions and you'll be fine.

Some hints for Trudy.

Playing the wind synth is a little like a comedian emulating a very famous person.

When you hear a comic 'doing' the president (or other celebrity) , the voice isn't the same but you still hear the celebrity. Why? The comic reproduced all the nuances of the celebrity's speech and even exaggerated them a bit.

Same goes for the wind synth. See what the patch will do that is like the instrument you are emulating, and use those nuances to your advantage. The nuances are more important than tone.

Doing this really trained my ears. I listened to trumpets, trombones, guitars, and other instruments with a whole new set of ears. Not just to bask in the expressive melodies the soloist was playing, but the nuances that made that melody so expressive.

BTW, the clips I posted earlier were all done with the Patchman "Turbo" chip in the VL and using the setup you can download from my site.

I hope the two of you have a lot of fun making music together.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Trudy and I find it hard to believe, but we're just a week away from our first anniversary. The year has been full, yet it went by so quickly. Best of all, there hasn't been a cross word between us. The only regret is that we haven't been able to spend as much time on music as we would have liked.

We have had a lot to dig out from, what with a move and merging two households and storage spaces. There are still boxes that haven't been unpacked. But, my wonderful musician wifey has a week off in a bit. She says she wants to spend time helping me get the studio fully operational. laugh

Truly blessed,

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I know the feeling all too well. Going through the same. Two households and a business.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: silvertones
I know the feeling all too well. Going through the same. Two households and a business.

Whoa, I do believe this is the first from Silvertones in a long time?? That must have been one hell of a honeymoon. Welcome back! grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Richard !:))

Let me congratulate you two
and wish you all the best on your
mutual travel thru life !:))

Cheers
Dani

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One year sounds great! It's a good start but you have a ways to go: I just finished 40 with my musician wife.

You didn't mention if Trudy liked and used the WX5. Any problems setting it up (using Bob Norton's instructions, I doubt it)?

Oh - and after re-reading this whole thread to get my bearings, I realized I should have pointed out that the "Matt" mentioned in connection with Patchman Music is not me.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you, Dani!

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt, congratulations on 40 happy years with your musical beloved!

Trudy loves the WX-5, but doesn't feel that she has spent nearly enough time with it. She hasn't yet mastered the new fingerings, but works on it as she is able. We haven't done any setup on it as it appears to have come appropriately set. She does love being able to get all those different instruments. This is her first foray into electronic music, which is my specialty, so I can help her with that.

We both thank you and Bob for your kind offers of help, and will definitely come to you when we need it.

Warmly,

Richard

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oh, and yet another benefit of being married to a musician: I'm working towards buying a keyboard from another forum member—and Trudy is thrilled that I'll have another musical tool in hand. Ain't it great?!

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Glad you found someone to share your music and your life with, congrats on the wedding, hope you both the best! Look forward to hearing the 2 of you collab!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, PG Fan! You'll definitely hear it here first. cool

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,618
Members38,498
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192