Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260460 08/24/14 01:08 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi all,

I haven't heard much about how to set up BIAB to trade 4 or 8 with the drums, and have the drums do a full-fledge drum solo. How is this done?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

I'm not sure about this but as far as I'm aware, drum solos don't yet exist in BIAB/RB.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Go to the Stylepicker. Use the filter to show styles with "fours" in their names. Load the respective demo songs.

You will find that these styles allow a 4-bar rest in every eight. The 4 bars are for you to have a solo. BiaB does not really have drum solos in its repertoire.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Expert
Expert
I think Noel is correct. You will have to revert to MIDI Styles for this:

*DRUMSOLJ Drum Solo Jazz - DRUMS ONLY
*JAZFOUR Jazz Fours Style
Also the 'Trading 4s.Var' A,B & C versions of this midi style.

Not that there is anything wrong with midi for practicing, especially now we have MIDI SuperTracks. cool

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
S
Expert
Expert
S
To get BB or RB to do solos you need to to edit the wma/wav file,s, just open the wma/wav files in Realband or DAW,
just set it to the same tempo then drag it in,
re-arrange, copy, paste etc.. the playing to make solos on another track with a 2bar count-in,
save that track as (this is just an example Drum Style) Jazz54Even8^5-Solos_140_Style.wav to the Jazz54Even8^ folder,
make a new sub folder
eg: Jazz54Even8^6-Solos
copy one of the text files from one of the other folders and paste it in the Jazz54Even8^6-Solos folder and rename it Jazz54Even8^5-Solos_140_Style.txt
edit it:
>
wavename=Jazz54Even8^5-Solos_140_Style.wav
>
delete all the current patterns and just have:

>
;Solos/Fills

pattern,Fill,A,1,0,1,47
pattern,Normal,A,5,0,1,47
pattern,Fill,B,1,0,1,47
pattern,Normal,B,5,0,1,47
pattern,Fill,A,1,0,1,51
pattern,Normal,A,5,0,2,51
pattern,Fill,A,1,0,1,53
pattern,Normal,A,5,0,4,53
pattern,Fill,B,1,0,1,53
pattern,Normal,B,5,0,4,53
Patte.......
...ect
>
so the second last number is the duration in bars,
the last number is the bar location in the wav file.
so your wav will have a 2bar count-in so the 3rd bar is bar 1. just set "Bar offset" to -2 in RB or your DAW.
To get a particular solos to be played it both A & B sections just make an A & B Pattern for that bar, as above.

Pattern Definition

All patterns are defined in the text file using lines of text containing seven elements, with each of the seven elements separated by a comma. The seven elements are: 1) the text "pattern", 2) type of pattern, 3) section definition (A, B or all), 4) weight (how often the pattern will be played), 5) Mask (restrictions on where the pattern can be played), 6) duration of the pattern in bars, 7) the location of the pattern in the style wave file.

More: http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_realdrums_stylemaking.htm

To get it to work in BB just press "F5" key at the bar you want to have solos and set it to the new SubStyle "Jazz54Even8^6-Solos" Click Rebuild at the bottom of Drum Picker window first.
Use F5 to stop the solo by changing back to the normal drums.
You can also used C.d or C..d or C...d after the chord for drums only to play until you remove the .d,..d,...d from the chords.

In Realband just highlight the bars (Select Snapping) and Generate "Jazz54Even8^6-Solos"

Veteran
Veteran
That's very impressive, Solidrock! A great tutorial.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
@solidrock +1

Although I had rather hoped for a 'one button' solution...lol.

Thanks,

Bob

S
Expert
Expert
S
I think PG are workin' on it.

Veteran
Veteran
I think it's really cool PG allows users to tinker with these type of files and add to the creativity (even if in a nerdy sort of way).

Once it goes 64 bit, and everything is written in MVC, all this stuff will be hidden in dll files we won't be able to access.

It's one of the 'charms' (and benefits) of PGMusic stuff so far.
We can even mess with the program graphics (and tinker a bit with the '3.1 interface' everyone gripes about).

It's a bit crude but available.
I feel like some user out there with graphic ability is missing an opportunity.
I figgered out how to do it, but you don't want someone as color blind as me messing with your screen!
I am, after all, currently a weird looking hairless dog. For now.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Okay, rharv, you've stumped me: what on earth is "MVC"?

Veteran
Veteran
Model-View-Controller
MVC-Wikipedia
(my linkfu is diminishing, I had to edit that twice!)

In MVC usually everything gets compiled and you run it.
No more tinkering.

MVC was just an example that jumped to mind.
Whether they use this method or another, the leap to 64 bit would likely remove these little treasures .. but would probably please many users just the same.

Last edited by rharv; 08/25/14 05:47 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
I am, after all, currently a weird looking hairless dog. For now.

Hairless dog, heck I thought you were using a picture of a seal these days. Got to get my glasses on...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
My daughter brought it home one day.
I felt sorry for it and have regretted it ever since .. well, not always. There is a certain feeling that attaches you to something so ugly .. once you get used to it being around.
Plus he's funny by nature and small enough to hide in the drawer.

Veteran
Veteran
Nothing wrong with you and your daughter having a big heart. I'm sure the dog is glad! Besides, he is kind of funny sometimes. cool

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I think my daughter has video of him twerking .. not pretty.

Veteran
Veteran
Well Bob, I might be wrong, but as far as know yes there's such thing in BIB, at least for jazz tunes. There are about four different trade four real drums by Terry Clark; here's a description of one of them: "This is a 'trade 4s' style. In the B section of your song, world-class drummer Terry Clarke will alternate between playing a drum solo for 4 bars, and regular playing for the next 4 bars."
What I have done in the past since I don't use BIB for live playing, if I want to create a drum solo of more than 4 bars i just open a blank song with the desire tempo and put "B" part markers every eight bars an let it play, then record that and cut and paste in my daw the parts I like and insert them where I want the solo.
Here's a tune I created four years ago where I used the method above described. Hope this help.
One step further

Mike B

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
That's great to know. I just searched for "trade" in the styles .csv file I made, and only came up with two jazz-oriented drum trade styles: Krupa_4s (and its related style). Which styles are you referring to Mike?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob, this is a text straight from the BIB RD style picker:
For demos, load in the RD demo song from the RealDrums dialog, or load one of the following trade 4 styles from the
StylePicker:

-JAZ4SF.STY
-JAZ4SM.STY
-JAZB4SF.STY
-JAZB4SM.STY
-WALZ4SF.STY
-WALZ4SM.STY
-WLZB4SF.STY
-WLZB4SM.STY

Each of these Band-in-a-Box styles are set to use one of the Trade 4's RealDrums:

Jazz4s
JazzWaltz4s
JazzBrushes4s
JazzBrushesWaltz4s

Hope this help

Didn't know about the Krupa one though, interesting.

Take care

Last edited by cubanpete; 08/30/14 08:15 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Ok, the Krupa one refers to the Jazz4s by Terry Clarke that I have mentioned before.

Mike B.

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi Bob, this is a text straight from the BIB RD style picker

Very much appreciated, thank you. I might as well make this a teachable moment and ask what keyword did you use to find those styles? I've been using "trade" and came up with just the Krupa styles.

Cheers,
Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195