RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi JCJazz,

Thanks you for your very nice comments!

Regards,
R & AM

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Thank you!
We were very glad to be able to use parts of the Ssoosay's picture collection for this.
As for the vocal, I've done my utmost to make it sound "rough" (I'm not really a rock singer grin)
We used the Cubase guitar amp simulator for this.
About the lyrics, I did some more explaining about this in response to Charlie's comments.

Regards,
Rob

User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Josie,

Thank you, creating the videos is another hobby of mine.
Glad you like them. I hope to make many more in the future.

Anne-Marie

boehm #260562 08/25/14 12:14 PM
User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Guenter,
Thanks for the "1".
Regards,
R & AM

RnAM #260653 08/26/14 06:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I didn't like it when it started. The distorted guitar...I've played around with that very real track and to me it sounds so canned.

HOWEVER...... when the pad synth came in, it seemed to temper the sound of the rhythm considerably. the more the song went on the better the mix was.

So in the end, it was rather well done. I like this song a lot.

You guys really have a talent for writing and recording good stuff. I'm a fan.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RnAM #260665 08/27/14 12:19 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Rob and Anne-Marie !

+ 1 from me too (chuckle) !!!

Cheers
Dani

dani48 #260706 08/28/14 04:00 AM
User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Dani,

every + helps ! smile

Regards,
Rob

User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Herb,

Thanks for your comments.
I agree, the metal realtracks have kind of an 'artificial ' sound.
We also had the problem that every now and then they suddenly sounded too sharp (kind of depending on which bar they were placed). We put some subtle eq on them to cover this up.
And yes, the sound suddenly changes when the pad comes in. Than it becomes more like 'a love like blood' from killing joke (I find that such a cool song!).
The next challenge was to make the vocals sound kind of 'rough'. Since I'm not exactly a rock singer this took quite some vocal processing!

Regards,
Rob

RnAM #260722 08/28/14 11:05 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Approach mechanisms of men versus filter mechanisms of women.
Wanting and needing, but at the same time trying to keep your self-esteem.'

Well that alone is enough to invite a listen! I'm light years away culturally from the night life (city or small town) but I can appreciate many genres of music and there is a LOT to appreciate here. The vid is very supportive of the song and the entire product, audio and video, has an extremely polished and finished feel. I may have said this before about your productions....but they are a showcase for the power of BIAB in the right hands when accompanied by good writes and vocals.

Outstanding.

J&B

User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you J & B,

Well, these two mechanisms have been revealed to me about three years ago, before that, I kind of was 'in the dark about all these things', of course I was vaguely aware of them. But still... I was pretty much unable to 'bend them' properly, in the sense that it was to my own benefit. Thanks to Joshua Pellicer this finally changed. But I take it you guys don't go out much? whistle
The music then. Yes, before the final mix down of our songs it is all a matter of listening, listening again, and again and again. Sleep on it, then listen again the next day, then listening again preferably at my own place (the vocals are usually being recorded at Anne-Marie's place). Doing lots of tiny adjustments in the meantime. I myself prefer to not use headphones. When you listen to a mix through your speakers the sound is different and develops more, depending in which room your listening. At my own place the sound is very dry, virtually no natural reverb. These are the best mixing conditions.
We use Cubase essential 5 and Cubase 7 elements for recording. We have both grown into this program. I think it is the best DAW for home recording.
Personally I like a very polished sound, but this is of course just a matter of taste. Also, I'm not exactly new to this, have been doing home recordings for over 20 years now. Besides that, I've never been able to listen to (whatever) music in a normal way. I was always busy analyzing every song. What's the drum doing, the bass, keyboards, guitar etc. Why does this arrangement work etc.

thanks again, for your support.

Regards,
Rob

User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Charlie,

I just responded to a comment of Janice & Bud on World of Her Own.
I told a little about about our way of recording. Since you asked for some more info on this previously, here are some more details:

When we've created something in BIAB (we either use the melodist or enter chords by ourselves) we export every track as a separate wave file. Next we import all of them individually into Cubase.
There we can do some subtle but very precise editing of every track. Add vst FX, eliminate tiny mistakes etc. This part is actually most of the work. Since we are both perfectionists.
For the vocals recorded at Anne-Marie's place we use a Shure microphone (don't know the exact type, it's actually meant for recording acoustic instruments). At my own place I use a AKG D310 microphone.
The other tough part is the mixdown, but I've already explained something about this in my reply to J&B.
Although most used tracks are real tracks or user tracks, we also use MIDI tracks sometimes. We both purchased the Forte DXI synth which definitely enhances the midi quality. The piano on Through the Years is the DXI Forte grand piano. On top of that we sometimes use GM Soundfonts for MIDI tracks, like we did in London Town. Biab won't let you export MIDI tracks which are routed to a Sounfont, but you can save to entire song as a Midi file and then import this into the program Synthfont 2 (which I purchased - there is also a free version). Next you can export the midi tracks to wave at a 192.000khz/32-bit format.
Another reason why we sometimes export in midi is the fact that we can change the sound using various VST instruments.
On mixdown we always export at 96.000khz/192.000khz with a 32-bit (float) bit rate. Although our BIAB version only exports at 16-bit 41.000 khz this higher bit rate does seem to have an effect, at least on the vocals anyway.

If you have any questions on this, let me know.
Regards,
Rob

RnAM #260804 08/29/14 02:43 PM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks Rob for the additional information. It's very helpful as well as interesting getting insight on how such professional results are achieved.

Your technique is similar to how I created practice tracks for a band I worked with until recently. (the band split up). I used a Tascam DP-24 to record practice sessions and used those tracks to duplicate the arrangements of cover songs the band performed using BIAB/RB and Studio One 2. My DAW of choice is Studio One 2 Professional. Each song normally took 3 to four days to complete. The thought was to have the playlist available to use for backing tracks eventually but we never got that far along. However, the songs accurately duplicated the band arrangement of each particular song.

I haven't had the same patience for original songs I post here on the forum. One issue has been the huge variety of styles available to preview. Another is the ease that chord progressions can be changed and experimented with. With only one exception, all of my original material has morphed into a song that is a lot different than the idea and song in my head.

What happens at that point is that rather than spending time polishing and correction, I usually create, mix, set levels, pan and use the reverb effects of BIAB and export a stereo file that I do very little post work other than balancing with the vocals recorded in Studio One and using the Project master feature of Studio One to eq this vocal/stereo music track and add a bit of compression and a limiter across the whole mix to bring up the loudness. Vocals and music many times are completed in one take. Sub-par, if one considers the tools available don't you think? Part of my excuse for that is that I convinced myself I was just learning my way around BIAB/RB/Studio One but I will soon be starting on my ninth month of using these programs and my songs are getting left in the dust by other artists so I actually resolved today to change things up on my original songs and put more effort into creating the song in my head rather than a cool style song I was influenced by BIAB to produce. Getting back to my roots in a manner of speaking. This is no way intended to disparage BIAB, the fact is the opposite is true. BIAB has given me the tools to produce music way beyond anything I could do otherwise at home. If I need steel guitar, Dobro, fiddle, mandolin, strings or horns they are all at my fingertip any hour and they don't charge by the hour.

At any rate, I enjoy the professional songs you and Anne-Marie submit and envy your work ethic and pride to push yourself to produce the best product you can. Your unselfish kindness in sharing some insight to how you do what you do is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Last edited by c_fogle; 08/29/14 02:45 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RnAM #260820 08/29/14 05:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey there, I really like this song. And hello Herb Hartley, the guy who turned me on to BIAB!! smile Thanks to you Herb!

Pretty amazing tool set for laying down basic beds. I am finding it extremely useful as well to use real acoustics, and other live mic'ed guitars (using Real Band for the complete audio package which makes it a no brainer), or import sounds from other sample libraries. I totally freaked when I found that BIAB midi is compatible with the Garritan libraries for Finale as a VST plug-in. No Way! I said! Way!!! they answered. It opens up ENDLESS possibilities. For example, you can write and score your own drums in midi, run them in BIAB, with real tracks on different tracks we well, and then open up the drum kit in Garritan, tweak to your heart's content, or touch up with Ozone. Or, do the reverse: import a midi drum file you wrote yourself into a BIAB template, choose a real drum and BIAB real drums will say "Got it. Let me take it from here." It plays the drums you wrote with their kit. I don't think everyone knows that but it is an awesome feature. There is no a style restriction. There are so many ways to make your own styles and add in real audio that there really is no limit on the sound you can get of these tools.

Anyway, great song guys and a great mix.

David Snyder
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder

User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you David!

We agree, Biab is a cool program.
We are looking forward to hearing what you create with it.

Regards,
R & AM

RnAM #263803 09/28/14 07:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rob & Anne-Marie ...

We're trying to catch on listens on some of the songs we missed in our recent hiatus from the site.

Quite a bit different, as you mentioned. But different in the best of ways. Someone else mentioned the first thing that caught our attention ... the excellent blend of the 80's Rock sound along with strong hints of contemporary Rock.

Having grown up in a big city (St. Louis, Missouri) I (Alan) am quite familiar with the flash of colored, late night neon. Also, I played in bars and lounges for about 40 years. So, there was no confusion on my part about what you meant by the flashing lights.

Another great production of an equally great song. Super video, too! Best to you ...

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

RnAM #263964 09/30/14 01:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Rob & Anne-Marie !

I´ll echo all the superlatives
said about this tune and your
songwriting and -performing
ailities ! Brilliant and impressive !:))

Cheers
Dani

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195