You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#261021 - 08/31/14 07:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi?
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Monterey CA
That's the whole question. There are parts I'd like at way slower tempos, or on different instruments. It would be a great boon to the student as well if the part were available in MIDI as well as the tab and big keyboard views.

Is this already possible? All I see are save as .wav or change the part. Thanks, I'm just learning what this guy WON'T do.

#261023 - 08/31/14 07:54 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Short answer: NO

Not really. You can render any of the RB tracks to midi but the result is nowhere close to what you hear playing in the audio track. The midi ends up being generic.

I really wanted to do that with a piano track.... the music on the real track was freaking awesome but the rendering process left the sound lacking considerably. I wanted to convert it to midi and use one of my really nice piano synths to play it. Nope.... there was no way to accomplish that task.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#261024 - 08/31/14 08:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Thanks - but not really still does mean it can be done, even if badly. I can tweak later, or use groove control to fit the feel, but where do I go to do the conversion? I don't see anything on the save to wav dialog options.

#261026 - 08/31/14 08:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
There are programs that can attempt this. The degree of success varies greatly. If the original audio is one monophonic instrument, success will be more likely.

Melodyne Editor is the current state-of-the-art program.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#261034 - 08/31/14 09:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

So we're NOT talking about BiaB options. OK.

Still - would be very useful for future updates (record the midi from pianists, bassists, drummers and guitarists as they are recording the RealTrack. Horns - not so much... unless you are using an EVI...

#261037 - 08/31/14 10:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
This has always confused me a bit. Many of the RT's have notation assigned to them (they appear green with an underline). I believe these were transposed manually. But I there is notation why can't there be midi? Actually, I thought there was a midi track assigned to a RT. But it had no (...something??), so it would not play right. Can someone clear this up for me. And why Carlos's fusion guitar RTs don't have a complete associated midi is strange since most of his stuff always was played his midi guitar system.
SoundCloud

#261038 - 08/31/14 10:30 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
solidrock Offline
Expert

If you go to Realband right click on any track > "Also generate RealCharts" then open the song and you will get the RealTracks & midi tracks if the RealTracks have RealCharts.

#261040 - 08/31/14 10:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Following on from what Dan has said ...

If you have BIAB version 2014, and if there is notation for the chosen Realtrack, it's possible to drag the track to the MID quadrant of the "Drag 'n' drop" region.

For example ...

On the image below, the "Guitar" track has an underline (#1). This means that the Realtrack that's presently residing on the "Guitar" slot has notation associated with it. If I left-click, hold the mouse button down and drag the "Guitar" track to the "MID" quadrant (#2), a midi file of the notation will be generated.

To access the midi file, right-click on the "Drag 'n' drop" box and then select "Open drag drop folder".

If there is no associated notation with a Realtrack, midi conversion requires additional software as Matt has mentioned.

Regards,
Noel

#261043 - 09/01/14 12:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Aha! The Secret! I forgot about that quadrant. That is the answer to the original question, I believe. Thank you very much, Noel96.

I use these tracks as solo pianist four nights a week. I also use iReal Pro tracks, hand-played parts, Sibelius scored tracks. etc. just to keep the variety.

#261068 - 09/01/14 11:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
jazzmammal Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
You guys have touched on the RT/midi thing but not the full story. People wanted to see the notation for the RT's especially the soloists. PG had to hire pro's with good ears to manually transcribe the notes into notation. Since notation is midi based you get a midi track. BUT and this is important, it's note information only. It is NOT a regular midi file that we are all used to. That is if you assign a midi instrument and hit play you won't hear anything. Why? Because the midi information is just the note, nothing else. No volume, no expression, no modulation, no pitch bends, none of that. That means you have to create all that yourself before you have a useful midi file.

As has been mentioned already RT's are audio files no different than your favorite CD. To ask about an RT midi file is exactly the same as asking about a midi file of your favorite Keith Jarrett recording. Ain't happening.

Bob

#261097 - 09/01/14 03:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: jazzmammal]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Thanks, Bob. Got it. BUT - why not create any new RTs on midi devices when it doesn't affect the performance? I doubt whether Keith would deign to record like that, but some of your stable might be cool with it.

These days I record my Nord piano keyboard as midi, edit my worst mistakes, then play back midi to record the corrected audio. Saves considerable time over editing the audio file. That way I get the best of both worlds - editing detail and sonic purity.

But in the meantime, I'll just detail out the tracks, now that I know what I'm working with. Thanks for the insight.

#261103 - 09/01/14 05:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: jazzmammal]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
You guys have touched on the RT/midi thing but not the full story. People wanted to see the notation for the RT's especially the soloists. PG had to hire pro's with good ears to manually transcribe the notes into notation. Since notation is midi based you get a midi track. BUT and this is important, it's note information only. It is NOT a regular midi file that we are all used to. That is if you assign a midi instrument and hit play you won't hear anything. Why? Because the midi information is just the note, nothing else. No volume, no expression, no modulation, no pitch bends, none of that. That means you have to create all that yourself before you have a useful midi file.

As has been mentioned already RT's are audio files no different than your favorite CD. To ask about an RT midi file is exactly the same as asking about a midi file of your favorite Keith Jarrett recording. Ain't happening.

Bob

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for clarifying. I think this now brings us to " Super midi tracks" in the evolution of BIAB. someone want to clarify these?

SoundCloud

#261120 - 09/01/14 08:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: MusicStudent]
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Soundsmith,

I have been using the EDIT>Move tracks function for some time.
This demo is RT piano blues Moved to Melody track. It just happened to
be organ that sounded decent so left it...
The nice result even surprised me...
I do use Addictive Keys quite a bit, so like midi. Most of the time use
SuperMidi piano to drive the AK.
192bitWMA, so lost a little on the sound.
BTW the softsynth for organ is part of Coolsoft. No intentional FX.
NOT all RT's have midi with them.

http://www.mp3cloud.mobi/BritBluesWithMidiMovePiano2Melody.wma

Good Luck!

Edited by seeker (09/01/14 08:05 PM)

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#261121 - 09/01/14 08:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith
Thanks, Bob. Got it. BUT - why not create any new RTs on midi devices when it doesn't affect the performance? I doubt whether Keith would deign to record like that, but some of your stable might be cool with it.

The problem with this is the MIDI playback source. For instance a RT sax solo has 0.5 pitch bends when transcribed into MIDI. However if the MIDI play back source has the pitch bend set at one octave it will sound like crap. Also it the MIDI sound source is a cheap GM set then the sound will be terrible also.

Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith

These days I record my Nord piano keyboard as midi, edit my worst mistakes, then play back midi to record the corrected audio. Saves considerable time over editing the audio file. That way I get the best of both worlds - editing detail and sonic purity.

But in the meantime, I'll just detail out the tracks, now that I know what I'm working with. Thanks for the insight.

That is my method also, record in MIDI. If I use RTs it will be a cut and paste job to add to my MIDI song. YMMV

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#261137 - 09/02/14 12:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

MIDI recording is not for all instruments. EVI and EWI would work as themselves, but not playable on a GM instrument. I used to record a VL70m with Yamaha breath controller and midi keyboard, but I don't have the breath anymore. And those are stll not BiaB instruments...

Piano, guitar, bass and drums, maybe a Zeta violin pretty much are all I would trust but that's the point. Use the tech where it works, do something else where it doesn't...

P.S. Just realized blush I'm looking for the RealTracks to MIDI SuperTracks converter...

Edited by The Soundsmith (09/02/14 03:03 AM)

PG Music News
Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Special Pricing Until June 30th!

With the recent Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release, we also released Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends June 30th!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! Learn more.

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 is a HIT!

Since the release Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we've received some great feedback!

"The added Piano Roll Window is... WONDERFUL!"
"Adding the Piano Roll Window is a BIG DEAL - thanks PG Music!"
"This significantly changes how I will use Band-in-a-Box in the future."
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely must have!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid! "
"Such a comprehensive source for music making!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"Oh wow. This has got to be the coolest enhancement in Band-in-a-Box 2018. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!"
"A brilliant piece of software!"
"What a release!!!"
"THEY DO NO PAY ME BUT if you don't own this you are crazy."
"Been using Band in a Box for years!! Great product for composing. I absolutely love the background vocals in Band-in-a-Box 2018."
"My compliments to the PG Music team who have once again have delivered an incredible collection of new styles and RealTracks to Band-in-a-Box this year!"
"There is still so much to explore and work with!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic... any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone... gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"I bought this Band-in-a-Box 2018 and I love it , it is amazing to work with!!!!!"
"...it's educational utility and the potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me chomping at the bit!"
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"This is amazing software!"
"Thank you for a wonderful tool for both musicians and singers - I can never say enough about this amazingly versatile product!"

Forum Stats
27611 Members
50 Forums
52202 Topics
432014 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
MichLeon, dave1990, mucheyielts2018, bpran, smokinop

27610 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 189
Noel96 165