You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#261021 - 08/31/14 07:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi?
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Monterey CA
That's the whole question. There are parts I'd like at way slower tempos, or on different instruments. It would be a great boon to the student as well if the part were available in MIDI as well as the tab and big keyboard views.

Is this already possible? All I see are save as .wav or change the part. Thanks, I'm just learning what this guy WON'T do.

#261023 - 08/31/14 07:54 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Short answer: NO

Not really. You can render any of the RB tracks to midi but the result is nowhere close to what you hear playing in the audio track. The midi ends up being generic.

I really wanted to do that with a piano track.... the music on the real track was freaking awesome but the rendering process left the sound lacking considerably. I wanted to convert it to midi and use one of my really nice piano synths to play it. Nope.... there was no way to accomplish that task.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#261024 - 08/31/14 08:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Thanks - but not really still does mean it can be done, even if badly. I can tweak later, or use groove control to fit the feel, but where do I go to do the conversion? I don't see anything on the save to wav dialog options.

#261026 - 08/31/14 08:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
There are programs that can attempt this. The degree of success varies greatly. If the original audio is one monophonic instrument, success will be more likely.

Melodyne Editor is the current state-of-the-art program.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#261034 - 08/31/14 09:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

So we're NOT talking about BiaB options. OK.

Still - would be very useful for future updates (record the midi from pianists, bassists, drummers and guitarists as they are recording the RealTrack. Horns - not so much... unless you are using an EVI...

#261037 - 08/31/14 10:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
This has always confused me a bit. Many of the RT's have notation assigned to them (they appear green with an underline). I believe these were transposed manually. But I there is notation why can't there be midi? Actually, I thought there was a midi track assigned to a RT. But it had no (...something??), so it would not play right. Can someone clear this up for me. And why Carlos's fusion guitar RTs don't have a complete associated midi is strange since most of his stuff always was played his midi guitar system.
SoundCloud

#261038 - 08/31/14 10:30 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
solidrock Offline
Expert

If you go to Realband right click on any track > "Also generate RealCharts" then open the song and you will get the RealTracks & midi tracks if the RealTracks have RealCharts.

#261040 - 08/31/14 10:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Following on from what Dan has said ...

If you have BIAB version 2014, and if there is notation for the chosen Realtrack, it's possible to drag the track to the MID quadrant of the "Drag 'n' drop" region.

For example ...

On the image below, the "Guitar" track has an underline (#1). This means that the Realtrack that's presently residing on the "Guitar" slot has notation associated with it. If I left-click, hold the mouse button down and drag the "Guitar" track to the "MID" quadrant (#2), a midi file of the notation will be generated.

To access the midi file, right-click on the "Drag 'n' drop" box and then select "Open drag drop folder".

If there is no associated notation with a Realtrack, midi conversion requires additional software as Matt has mentioned.

Regards,
Noel

#261043 - 09/01/14 12:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Aha! The Secret! I forgot about that quadrant. That is the answer to the original question, I believe. Thank you very much, Noel96.

I use these tracks as solo pianist four nights a week. I also use iReal Pro tracks, hand-played parts, Sibelius scored tracks. etc. just to keep the variety.

#261068 - 09/01/14 11:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
You guys have touched on the RT/midi thing but not the full story. People wanted to see the notation for the RT's especially the soloists. PG had to hire pro's with good ears to manually transcribe the notes into notation. Since notation is midi based you get a midi track. BUT and this is important, it's note information only. It is NOT a regular midi file that we are all used to. That is if you assign a midi instrument and hit play you won't hear anything. Why? Because the midi information is just the note, nothing else. No volume, no expression, no modulation, no pitch bends, none of that. That means you have to create all that yourself before you have a useful midi file.

As has been mentioned already RT's are audio files no different than your favorite CD. To ask about an RT midi file is exactly the same as asking about a midi file of your favorite Keith Jarrett recording. Ain't happening.

Bob

#261097 - 09/01/14 03:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: jazzmammal]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

Thanks, Bob. Got it. BUT - why not create any new RTs on midi devices when it doesn't affect the performance? I doubt whether Keith would deign to record like that, but some of your stable might be cool with it.

These days I record my Nord piano keyboard as midi, edit my worst mistakes, then play back midi to record the corrected audio. Saves considerable time over editing the audio file. That way I get the best of both worlds - editing detail and sonic purity.

But in the meantime, I'll just detail out the tracks, now that I know what I'm working with. Thanks for the insight.

#261103 - 09/01/14 05:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: jazzmammal]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
You guys have touched on the RT/midi thing but not the full story. People wanted to see the notation for the RT's especially the soloists. PG had to hire pro's with good ears to manually transcribe the notes into notation. Since notation is midi based you get a midi track. BUT and this is important, it's note information only. It is NOT a regular midi file that we are all used to. That is if you assign a midi instrument and hit play you won't hear anything. Why? Because the midi information is just the note, nothing else. No volume, no expression, no modulation, no pitch bends, none of that. That means you have to create all that yourself before you have a useful midi file.

As has been mentioned already RT's are audio files no different than your favorite CD. To ask about an RT midi file is exactly the same as asking about a midi file of your favorite Keith Jarrett recording. Ain't happening.

Bob

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for clarifying. I think this now brings us to " Super midi tracks" in the evolution of BIAB. someone want to clarify these?

SoundCloud

#261120 - 09/01/14 08:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: MusicStudent]
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Soundsmith,

I have been using the EDIT>Move tracks function for some time.
This demo is RT piano blues Moved to Melody track. It just happened to
be organ that sounded decent so left it...
The nice result even surprised me...
I do use Addictive Keys quite a bit, so like midi. Most of the time use
SuperMidi piano to drive the AK.
192bitWMA, so lost a little on the sound.
BTW the softsynth for organ is part of Coolsoft. No intentional FX.
NOT all RT's have midi with them.

http://www.mp3cloud.mobi/BritBluesWithMidiMovePiano2Melody.wma

Good Luck!

Edited by seeker (09/01/14 08:05 PM)

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#261121 - 09/01/14 08:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith
Thanks, Bob. Got it. BUT - why not create any new RTs on midi devices when it doesn't affect the performance? I doubt whether Keith would deign to record like that, but some of your stable might be cool with it.

The problem with this is the MIDI playback source. For instance a RT sax solo has 0.5 pitch bends when transcribed into MIDI. However if the MIDI play back source has the pitch bend set at one octave it will sound like crap. Also it the MIDI sound source is a cheap GM set then the sound will be terrible also.

Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith

These days I record my Nord piano keyboard as midi, edit my worst mistakes, then play back midi to record the corrected audio. Saves considerable time over editing the audio file. That way I get the best of both worlds - editing detail and sonic purity.

But in the meantime, I'll just detail out the tracks, now that I know what I'm working with. Thanks for the insight.

That is my method also, record in MIDI. If I use RTs it will be a cut and paste job to add to my MIDI song. YMMV

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#261137 - 09/02/14 12:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Is there a way to convert RealTracks to midi? [Re: The Soundsmith]
The Soundsmith Offline
Apprentice

MIDI recording is not for all instruments. EVI and EWI would work as themselves, but not playable on a GM instrument. I used to record a VL70m with Yamaha breath controller and midi keyboard, but I don't have the breath anymore. And those are stll not BiaB instruments...

Piano, guitar, bass and drums, maybe a Zeta violin pretty much are all I would trust but that's the point. Use the tech where it works, do something else where it doesn't...

P.S. Just realized blush I'm looking for the RealTracks to MIDI SuperTracks converter...

Edited by The Soundsmith (09/02/14 03:03 AM)

PG Music News
#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

#TBT - The Beginning of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box®

We released the much-loved Xtra Styles PAKs in August 2016! This release included 164 RealStyles for Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter and worked with any Band-in-a-Box® 2016 or higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Xtra Styles PAKs were such a hit... we couldn't stop making them! Since their introduction, we've released 3 more PAKs with a total of over 600 Xtra Styles in all!

Want to hear what other program users are doing with their Xtra Styles? Visit our Xtra STyles Contests forum to hear all the songs submitted during previous song contest we've had: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=102&page=1

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and listen to their demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

Forum Stats
27126 Members
49 Forums
50301 Topics
412790 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Boyd94, Johnsantana, Lexie, Denslops, osmethne

27124 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 260
Matt Finley 256