Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Bass track from FREEDOM.STY style states (in Patches and Mixer) Instrument 34: Finger Electric Bass. But it will not change from piano. Directly set it, remove patch and reload the style, still only plays piano - no RealTracks set, Plugins show [none][none][none][none] and the patch. Prefs: Bass channel=2, 0 octave, no pagination. Currently Song Patch Changes and Style Patch Changes are ON, but WERE off. Made no difference.

What am I dong wrong?

It's all about the music.
(I keep telling myself that...)
http://www.davidkempton.com
Veteran
Veteran
David,

What software or hardware synthesiser are you using? This may be related to the problem. I've just tried the style and, on my computer, all is well.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
If the origin of the song is a midi file? The redirect is likely embedded in the song with a cc. Use event editor to see what happens when the song begins playin.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Typed the chords in. And using (or trying to) all internal midi files. I can change the patch in the mixed dialog, but it does not update.

I may have some system setup anomalies. When I change style, the patches vary as to whether they change to the new sounds. Especially if I change patch or switch to a Real style, it may not change when a new style is loaded. (What should be set/reset so it will update properly?

Veteran
Veteran
David,

As asked in my post above, what software/hardware synth are you using?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I am using - for this song- the internal midi synths, whatever they are, supplied in BiaB. I also have Trillian for bass linked but disabled, and also Kontakt with a bunch of libraries - Colossus, JABB, EWQLSO Silver, Afro-Latin Slam etc. in Kontakt, plus a number of other VSTis available but not enabled. I use a Nord Piano2keyboard for midi and occasionally audio input, PreSonus Audiobox audio and midi I/F. Dell XPS 8700 i5-4440 8G RAm, 2T storage+1T system drive.

It is the internal BiaB synth that does not play, nor change visible patch. And all the other Real instrument and midi Supertracks, etc. are disabled/not used.

Veteran
Veteran
David,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I also have Trillian for bass linked but disabled". This might be what's causing the problem. To check this in BIAB 2014 ...

1. Click on "Plugins"(#1) and select "Realtime VST/DXi Plugin Settings" (#2)

2. Now click on "Bass" (#1) and check that the plugin is set to "none" (#2).

3. If the Bass track doesn't have "none" as shown in the image above, click on the dropdown arrow (#1) and select "none" from the list (#2) as shown below.

4. Now individually click on each track below "Bass" - that is Piano, Drums, Guitar, Strings, Melody, etc. - and check that, in each instance, the plugin box is set to "none" (as described for the Bass above).

5. Click on "Default Synth" (#1), select the dropdown menu (#2) and then click on "Coyote WT" to set the fundamental soft synth that comes with BIAB. Close the window by clicking the "X" (#4).

6. Lastly, go to "Opt | Preferences" and select the "MIDI Driver" button. Check that your settings are the same for #1 through to #5 on the image below. Exit the set-up window with OK.

7. Now, regenerate your song and see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Noel, thanks for the extremely informative post. Unfortunately, following every step, now all channels play piano(except drums). A possible clue - I am getting notifications from SampleTank that my 10 day trial is up (I actually own v2.5, though the authorization may be on a different machine) And I just tried to authorize it and am now in a password nightmare-bad pw, email reset does not reach me...) I'll get back to you when I have ST working.

Veteran
Veteran
David,

I'm interested in knowing the result of your investigation.

If you've set the synth for each track to "none", and the Default Synth to "Coyote WT", you should not be getting a message from Sampletank. As you've noted, this could well be the problem.

The fact that you have a Sampletank pop-up message happening seems to be saying that Sampletank is installed as a soft synth on at least one of the BIAB tracks. If this wasn't the case, Sampletank wouldn't load and wouldn't give a message.

Does your chosen style have midi Supertracks?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith
I am using - for this song- the internal midi synths, whatever they are, supplied in BiaB.

I read somewhere you're a B3 guy, so am I but I sold mine and I use the Hammond SK1. Not the same as the real thing but it weighs 12 pounds and sounds pretty nice.

Anyway the quote above may be part of your problem. There are no internal Biab midi synths. PG provides you with the Coyote WT which is nothing but a small bit of code to go with your built in Windows synth that the computer uses for sound effects. Not a very good synth, it's worth about what it cost you. Any synth you use including this one or Kontakt or any other synth has to be enabled by you, the user, inside Biab nothing happens automatically. The easy way to think of this is Biab has no midi sounds of it's own, the sounds are up to whatever the user decided to use.

Start with the basic default synth setup. On Biab's main screen see the Preferences icon right below the Melody instrument and click it. That opens another window. Click on Midi Drivers and that opens another window. This is where the fun is. Set your midi input driver, output driver and midi soundcard. This will vary depending on what you're using. In my case I use both hardware and software so I have my Roland Sonic Cell and Microsoft GS Wavetable for my input and output drivers. On the far right is the soundcard and mine is set to the General MIDI Instrument Misc. This raises a very important question, do you know what that means? Do you know the difference between a GM synth and a regular synth? If you do fine, but if you don't that's another discussion and it's vital you know that.

For now what's next is in that same window on the right but in the middle is an active screen button VSTi/DXi synth settings. Right above that is a checkbox that says Use Vsti/Dxi synth. Click that then click the synth settings active box. What you now see is whatever synths you have installed on your system that Biab can see. The Coyote Wavetable is probably the first one. Select that.

Here's where GM is important. Biab defaults to GM instrument mapping and the Coyote WT is a GM synth. Trust me everything will now play it's proper instrument but you may not like the sound quality.

Do these steps to get Biab into it's basic default sound mode and when you hear what you're supposed to hear then you can follow Noel's excellent instructions to use your other synths. However, those other synths are not GM so that means the default instruments will not be mapped correctly but all that means is for each song you have to assign the instruments manually. Not a big deal but it's not as convenient as using a GM synth.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 09/09/14 10:52 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
At the moment I have enabled Sampletank again. HQ synth patches have, since installation, gone to Sampletank.

I needed the info about Coyote, now we are no the same page for that. I haven't yet had time to return to my original problem. I'll be Bach...

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the help, guys. It looks like I should delete the whole install and start from scratch. Everything points to a low-level problem, not the first time on this machine.

Veteran
Veteran
The HQ patches are Sampletank. Without ST you could not hear those patches. Here's a bit of background on all this.

For years PG included a decent freebie synth called the Roland VSC. They wanted the program to have at least something that customers could use to hear Biab with. The problem with that synth is it's 32 bit only. It's also a 20 year old antique legacy synth that Roland has completely abandoned so there's no 64 bit updates coming.

That means PG needed something else so first they came up with the Coyote Wavetable and then ST. ST allows anybody to create their own patches and have them link to ST. Since IKM started giving away the basic ST some years ago, PG created the ST HQ patches. But, as I referred to earlier, ST is not a GM synth so PG created that drop down box where you can link up those patches manually and it works pretty slick. You don't have to go into the plugin window itself to do the linking like you do with any other synth like Kontakt for example, it's right from Biab so that's pretty cool.

If you like the ST sounds, IKM has sales all the time where they sell their Omnisynth GM set for $10. There's a video tutorial here that explains how to get it to interface with Biab because it's not automatic but it will do it with some tweaking.

Have I said yet you need to become a computer nerd to use and work with this stuff? You do but it's fun and is part of working with digital audio. In spite of all the advertising hype, none of this stuff simply loads up and plays exactly like you want it to out of the box. Lots of tweaking and hair pulling until you get it right. This isn't a slam on PG, this is all the companies selling digital audio software and the computers that run it. PC's are not designed for this so there's workarounds for the workarounds.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Have I said yet you need to become a computer nerd to use and work with this stuff?..
Bob

Well, the sad fact IS that I (in theory but out of practice) AM(/was) a computer nerd - first box was a Kim 1 - 1K of RAM, hex input 6502, the only instructions were the 6502 Instruction Set, the 6510 I/O hardware manual and the "user Guide," which primarily said, "enter C800 into address 00FE to point to the hex display. Started with Hex machine code. I was a professional FoxPro programmer for years, and should know what I'm doing. But I expected BiaB to actually do what you said, work right out of the box. Should have known better, the Windows 3.1 interface was a big clue :-) . Not to rag on the design, I really don't care as long as it's navigable and does the job. But you have to admit it's pretty retro (cracked me up when I read that the GUI has just been updated, was the previous version a DOS screen?.)

This is valuable info, JM thanks. What was ESPECIALLY useful (and proof of my loss of nerd status) I have had ST2.5XT for years, and never knew how to load Omnisynth as a GM box, I always manually loaded the tracks in Digital Performer or Mixcraft.) Never saw the midi map - but then again, the ST GUI is so unnecessarily dense - and my eyes aren't the greatest, I gave up - I just wanted a GM synth on my PC to audition GM midi downloads. I was a Gigastudio guy - 8 shoeboxes of sample libs - so I didn't worry about it.

Now that I'd like to integrate my performance track creation software, primarily BiaB, iReal Pro on ioS and the various DAWs I routinely use, these things are becoming important again.

But right now, the main thing is stability (again...) I switched from Mac when DP released their PC version - which STILL doesn't work correctly with many VSTs and VSTis. So I use Mixcraft 6 - $79 and a better engine than many $00 DAWs, plus the best GM drum sounds, INHO.

But I do not understand why my midi sounds are not loading - the GUI says they are loaded, the app plays piano1 on all midi tracks, so I'm just going to restart the app from scratch.
I have one question about installation order, which I will ask in a new thread, to see if there are issues I need to be aware of that some users may have experienced.

Veteran
Veteran
Well, the sad fact IS that I (in theory but out of practice) AM(/was) a computer nerd

That's good but I usually include the words "digital audio" along with that. You've got two threads going but I thought I would post this in this one. It sounds like you do have some experience with digital audio but from what you've written you may not really understand it? Not trying to put words in your mouth but you do sound confused about some of this and don't worry so was I, believe me.

The problem with your midi parts not playing is all part of what synth you're using and how the Biab midi drivers window is set up. I explained some of that earlier. You have to have the correct audio drivers set plus the midi drivers. Understand the driver set up has nothing to do with your synth setup.

I think what's needed now is for you to describe exactly how you have those things set up in Biab.

This is hilarious. Since I'm trying to explain some stuff to you I decided on this very hot Sunday afternoon here in SoCal to play with Biab. The last time I used it everything was fine. Now, all the songs are screwed up, the melody is offset, or the drums are offset and for one song everything was very distorted. I'm going, whatinhellhappened? I did nothing since I closed it last week. Here's what I did and what all of us have learned to do, rather than trying to figure out what went wrong I just went to Opt>Return to Factory Settings. It saves a copy of the BB file and then I closed and reopened the program and everything is fine.

Don't ask me boss, I'm just another schlep like you in spite of my "Veteran" ranking. All I can say is stuff happens and that's why PG included that function.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 09/14/14 03:33 PM.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Bob, I just saw this reply, thanks. The "Return To Factory Settings" button is probably the one I needed most. As I said in the pother post (which must have been seen as critical, it was deleted) I see that this is a collection rather than a system. This is not a complaint, rather it tells me how to approach degug and setup.

I MAY have most of it wprkeing now. Have not yet reintegrated Sampletank, though the DXi shows available in the Plugins window.

But if I load the entire Style DEMO into a fresh tune, everything seems to fall into place, and I can then work from that beginning.

If a;; goes well, I'll reinstantiate Sampletank and try to get Omnysynth to implement as a GM. (I can load the patch map, but ST puts OS in a subdirectory. Time for more experimentation (this prog has so MUCH stuff in it, I haven't had time to even explore all the menu options - every time I think I have seen all the parts, here's another - audio chord wizard, generate soundtrack, vocal synth, etc.

I just want to make interesting backing tracks for my gig, nothing more. And I am beginning to establish a workflow. Now of the GM synth works, so I can swap midi files easily, I'll be good to go (presumably...)

Veteran
Veteran
As I said in the pother post (which must have been seen as critical, it was deleted) I see that this is a collection rather than a system. This is not a complaint, rather it tells me how to approach degug and setup.

No way, I read your post it was a fair conclusion and not presented in an offensive manner. Others have gone on wilder rants here. I have never seen the moderators delete a post which was not clearly offensive or one which someone did not complain about. Wonder if there is a new Moderator these days? So if it helps, I agreed with your comments.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
As I said in the pother post (which must have been seen as critical, it was deleted) I see that this is a collection rather than a system. This is not a complaint, rather it tells me how to approach degug and setup.

David,

It might be that the post you're referring to is in your other thread (found here). I often find that when I have multiple threads on the go, I forget which one I posted particular comments in.

As Dan says, it's very unlikely that the moderators deleted it. PG Music have very broad shoulders and are very tolerant of criticisms.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
No, his post is missing from this thread. Someone removed it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,421
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185