Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have been having issues with loading and unloading styles. May simply be me not understanding the program, but at this point, I plan to delete all the program, styles, realtracks and realdrums and just start over from scratch.

I originally installed the 2014 MegaPak.I then added the UltraPlus Pak, RealBrushes and several individual Style Paks for jazz and latin.

I think it's pretty obvious I should start with BiaB, but after that does it matter the order I install the others? I plan to install as usual, allowing the program to default to the correct folder(s) and just want a clean, trouble-free install.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

It's all about the music.
(I keep telling myself that...)
http://www.davidkempton.com
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Did you get the UltraPlusPak on USB drive? If so, this is the only one that needs to be installed as it contains the full BIAB suite of Styles, Realtracks, Realdrums, etc.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Noel, just downloaded everything. I have 12.1 G in 15 files:
bandinabox_realband_2014_mega
realcombos_pro_1 and 2
hi-q_instruments_sampletank_01-02, (I also own Sampletank 2.5XT and Omnisynth)
realtracks_shots_holds_loops_combos
realtracks_shots_holds_3
realcombos_mega_1 through 4
realtracks_strings
realbrushes
realtracks029, 095, 196

So any particular order? Or none? And will I need to run RegClean or delete hidden files etc. after removal, or does BiaB play nice and remove all traces of itself?

During the original install, a couple files had to be redone, after the program could not find the new styles. I don't remember the exact order, this was after three separate transactions, but I know I would not load combo 2 before combo 1 (And while I know that in principle, after the program is installed, the library data order should not matter beyond the sequential files, in practice, principles do not always apply.)

I just don't want to do this a THIRD time...

Last edited by The Soundsmith; 09/13/14 05:08 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
David,

You mentioned purchasing the UltraPlusPak in your first post. The above files do not look like the UltraPlusPak. They look like the MegaPak (but I'm not certain about this).

If you already own Sampletank, you have no need to reinstall it. It's possible that reinstalling could create some issues that would need resolving to get Sampletank to work again.

I'm not sure what is written to the registry but one thing is that you will need to go "Help | Utilities" and deactivate BIAB before you remove it. If you do not do this, it can reduce your number of activations and create an issue.

Overall, I have to admit that I'm a bit confused about the MegaPak/UltraPlusPak files. Because of this, I suggest that you contact PG Music on their toll-free help line and deal with them directly. They're very helpful.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Noel, thanks for the deactivation warning, did not occur to me. I have the same questions, I bought Mega and installed it. Then after running for a day or two, decided to get the majority of the missing styles and RealTracks. Then later, separate purchases of RealBrushes and the other RealTracks.

But I also was confused, though it seemed to work. At first. :-)

Veteran
Veteran
David,

The UltraPlusPak contains everything so there would be no reason to purchase extra Realtracks, Realdrums, Realbrushes if you bought that package as an upgrade from the MegaPak.

I'm still confused as to what package you actually have.

To install the program, as far as I'm aware, there is no order. Just simply install everything before starting up either Band In A Box or Realband.

I still think it's worth contacting PG Music about this if you purchased the UltraPlusPak.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I remember - I installed Mega Pak. Then bought Ultra, but saw no reason to re-install biab program file - don't think I even downloaded it, just the new realtracks etc. Then got Realbrushes and the others. But I will contact PG when we're both available. Thanks again.

Veteran
Veteran
No, no and NO. The first thing noob's want to do when they have a pilot error problem is reinstall everything. Very rarely is that necessary and I mean that. Never. I've had the program for over eight years and never had to reinstall except for when I upgraded my whole PC. Other than that, no need to reinstall Biab. Period. Just ask questions here and figure out what you're doing wrong.

Remember what I said in my answer to you in the other thread about you needing to become a computer nerd? This is a classic example of it. Don't waste time chasing ghosts over nothing just learn how everything works.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
OK, I'll try that again for a while. Back to the manuals...

Veteran
Veteran
David,

Before you start playing around with Sampletank in BIAB, work through my guide in your other post and set everything to "None" and the Default Synth to "Coyote WT" (just as I've shown and explained in my posts in the other thread). This is important.

Doing the above will allow us to isolate any problems before setting up Sampletank. Trying to solve things with Sampletank active makes finding the solution much much harder.

Once CoyoteWT is working satisfactorily, then we can engage Sampletank and fix any problems associated with that.

NOTE: CoyoteWT sounds are nowhere near the quality of Sampletank sounds, but don't worry about it. Using CoyoteWT is just a stepping stone towards getting the system functioning properly.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
The first thing noob's want to do when they have a pilot error problem is reinstall everything. Very rarely is that necessary and I mean that. Never. I've had the program for over eight years and never had to reinstall except . Bob

Have to agree here 100%. I also have never had to reinstall BIAB. My understanding is it does little to nothing in the registry. So it only load files to a subdirectory. Configuration in the program allows you to direct it to the directories loaded. The only recommendations I have see one should not load BAIB in a \Programs\ subdirectory. If you have just move it to its own root directory e.g., C:\BIAB.

Good luck. ST 2.5 in BIAB is not intuitive but it can be done (but not ST3!!).

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
David, you're getting good help here.

You asked about uninstalling BIAB cleanly. I have not had to reinstall BIAB ever, in over twenty years. Thus I'm not positive about this answer, but from what I understand, there would be nothing of importance left afterward if I did. BIAB has almost all of what it needs in one folder, the /bb folder. There may also be other /bb folders on different drives if you chose to install RealTracks and/or RealDrums on another drive. As for the Registry, a few fonts need to be installed, and there are a couple of Registry entries about the last ten songs loaded, etc. but nothing that would cause a system problem if the /bb folder(s) were deleted.

EDIT looks like you also got the same answer just now from jazzmandan.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 09/14/14 05:51 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, guys, I agree I AM getting great help here, and I DO appreciate it. I will be happy to avoid a reinstall until I have no remaining recourse (it seemed like that was where I was at...)

I did a full reset, then re-established the audio and midi setups. Searched for new styles (I show 2,462 total styles.) Then said "find New Styles" Told me it found 5000+ styles, but my Style count remained the same. ??? Is this just a count of all current styles whether or not in my system or have I done something else wrong?

And regarding Sampletank, since the reset I have not use it, but the Plugins drop-down shows a <DXi> SampleTank2.x, I don't know it that is yours or mine, though when I select Remove VST, the VST folders are empty..

BTW, I found rhat I did not upgrade to Ultra, it had nothing I wanted. I spent so long examining and testing I though I HAD bought it, but in the end I just added RealBrushes and the three add-on paks and had 99% of what I need. So it's all updates from the Mega Pak, if that simplifies things. Apologies for the confusion.
I'll be playing around with loading styles into new and existing BiaB songs. And I have one vital question which may be driving this whole train:

How do I insure that ALL tracks are replaced/updated when a new style is loaded?

It seems that a lot of my issues come from a midi or Realtrack/Realdrums file remaining active when the style I auditioned used a different patch. Am I missing something basic, like a "load this style before changing to a new sty;e" style that forces a reset?

Last edited by The Soundsmith; 09/14/14 12:48 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith
but the Plugins drop-down shows a <DXi> SampleTank2.x, I don't know it that is yours or mine, though when I select Remove VST, the VST folders are empty..

VST and DXi are two completely different plugins. VST was developed by Steinberg years ago and is a third party thing. DXi uses your built in Windows Direct Sound stuff and was developed by Cakewalk. Lots of plugs will give you both versions and depending on your system one might work better than the other. Oops, there's that nerdy stuff again and..oh forget it for now, I could rattle on about this for two pages. I did say you're going to wind up a computer nerd, right? <grin>

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith
Am I missing something basic, like a "load this style before changing to a new sty;e" style that forces a reset?

No.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well, I found the "magic answer" as to why it's so oddly designed. This is NOT a rant, but an aha! moment...

I used to have to re-program these things as well. It's spaghetti code, or Topsy programming (it "just growed.") Nobody ever sat down and said, "this code is from an Atari 6502 8-bit machine with a DOS overlay and a Windows NT overlay on that. It's why the window looks Win 3.1 and the data looks like dBase II.

I'm not dealing with a system. That was my mistake. It's a collection. I wanted to find consistent conceptualization where there is none. And that is not to put the program down, but to recognize the actual status. It's not a system, it is a set of unrelated programs that share common datasets and a pieced-together GUI. The authors of section A are unaware of (or don't care about - or aren't allowed to care about, depending on the shop) the section B or C programs.

I have to learn the programmers, not the program. That's fine, I once had to write a FoxPro app that linked a local SQL database with two different State mainframe apps, one in Sacramento, one in LA/OC, as filtered through four different local departments. And just about EVERY line of code in the state apps was patched more times than a $5 used tire. And even THAT was fine until the Country mandated that I had to convert the whole furshlugginer mess to Access, FoxPro's weak sister... eek

Bottom line - after first performing all the tasks you had outlined above and rebooting, then hitting reset, things may be looking up. More to follow, but thanks for the help.

Last edited by The Soundsmith; 09/14/14 04:09 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Good and informative discussion here.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Veteran
We have learned from this that nothing was censored, as was suspected in the other thread. It appears that everything in the post, at least what I remember (and I participated), is still here.

Although there is some good discussion here, I have to point out that I believe the last post of substance, about PG Music's programs being a "set of unrelated programs", "not consistent", "not a system" etc. is unwarranted conjecture. There are several others of us on this forum who are also programmers, and in my case, a programming teacher on the college level. I don't think there is sufficient evidence to conclude anything about how these programs are programmed, or of what the authors are aware.

The thread started with some questions about installation. If there is still a problem, let's go back, get all the facts clearly stated, and work that problem.

Veteran
Veteran
Exactly. Well said.

Bob

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
May I take it back a little further and ask about the process...

I have every release back to BB12 and BB2006. My hard disk crashed, so I'm starting from scratch with installing apps, but fortunately had ALL of the files backed up to an external drive. So, I have the entire /BB folder with all of the content from BB12 through BB2015. How much do I have to install? (I want to make sure I get all of the incremental goodies like the SampleTank, etc.)

What's the best way to get-there-from-here since I have the directory with all the files, but it's a "scratch install" of the software on to a new hard drive?

Last edited by LadyJazzer; 12/15/15 10:25 AM.

"You play pretty good--for a girl."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,142
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182