Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#261300 09/03/14 11:42 AM
RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I created a tune on BIAB using the "Aggressive Country Style". Saved it. Opened it in Real Band. Using the Drag and Drop Mode, I dragged and dropped the drums,( which converted to real drums when I opened it in RB), the midi organ, midi guitar, midi strings and midi bass to Sonar X2. Only ONE NOTE of the midi organ chords, which were at least three note chords in Real Band, came over to Sonar. This has happened before when I drag and drop midi tracks from RB to Sonar X2.
How can I get the entire three or four note organ chord to drop into Sonar?
Thanks,
RB

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Have you tried copy and paste?

I don't use midi much and rarely copy it but I seem to recall using copy & paste to get midi into Sonar in the past.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
First thing I'd try is the 'Tracks-Make all BB Tracks regular tracks' command before dragging to another DAW.
This changes some underlying controls and makes them act more as I expect sometimes .. just a thought.

Or copy the track down to a track number above 10. Than Drag/Drop that track instead. When a track is a 'BB' track it retains some BiaB settings (you'll see it in the color of the track name, BB tracks have a blue track name).

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks. Unfortunately, copy and paste did not work. Not sure why. Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
RA

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hello rharv.
Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, copying, (or moving), the track and pasting it to a track number above 10 did not work. It still only played one note after being dropped into Sonar.
However, what did work was changing the track from Midi to Audio in Realband, then dragging and dropping it into Sonar.
Thanks again for all your help.
RA

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The down side for me to copy and paste......

I highlight the track in RB and select copy...... I open the Sonar window and select an unused track, make sure it's MIDI, highlight it to select it and click paste.....

This tends to bring in ALL of the midi tracks in RB not just the one I want.....so I have to clean up using delete tracks.

Have you tried the IMPORT MIDI TRACK function in Sonar to see if that will work.

As I said before, I don't very often work with midi in this manner.....and it's been quite some time since I did it last.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Copy and Paste Absolutely works.

I opened BB and created a short song that I thought would have at least one midi track in it. I saved the file and closed BB.

I reopened it in RB and this is what I saw. I have clicked on the MIDI track to highlight it and then selected COPY. Select the track by highlighting it, then right click to open the window for COPY.

I closed RB (minimized it) and opened Sonar and created a new project. I clicked in the MIDI track #2 and selected PASTE. All the midi tracks were copied and pasted. The one I wanted...the piano, has the data in it.

After deleting the extra blank tracks and adding a new audio track for the piano synth, and directing the midi output to the synth....I hit PLAY and got music and did a screen capture during playback.

So yes...copy and paste works and works well.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/06/14 07:11 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
"..So yes...copy and paste works and works well. "

That sure looks like one strange copy and past routine. You say you copy 1 track from RB, then when you paste in Sonar you get 11 tracks? And you say that work "well"?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
"..So yes...copy and paste works and works well. "

That sure looks like one strange copy and past routine. You say you copy 1 track from RB, then when you paste in Sonar you get 11 tracks? And you say that work "well"?

"Well" is relative. It has always done like this in every version of BB/RB I have ever owned.

The copy and paste routine is straight forward... I highlight just one track but.....

Since I don't use this copy/pasting of midi tracks very much, it's not a big deal.

The bigger point was to show that ...yes, it does work. I have also used the click and drag function and that works too.... I rarely use either in the way I work to create songs.

99% of the time, I'm exporting from RB, one at a time, just the one track file that I have selected.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks again to all. As I said above, converting track from midi to audio prior to drag and drop into Sonar works. I will try the copy and paste method next time I have need.
Thanks again all!
RA

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
^^^^ Exactly.... I prefer working in the audio realm now days. So yes.... if I have a midi track I would convert it to audio.....

But it would be rare for me to actually like & use the midi tracks in BB enough to use them in that manner. Real Band and the real tracks found there have ruined me.

In Sonar is where I'd be more likely to use a midi track....one that I created myself for say, a bass part or some strings....and use a quality sample for the sound...but again, I would bounce to audio track for the mix.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
^^^^ Exactly.... I prefer working in the audio realm now days. So yes.... if I have a midi track I would convert it to audio.....

I agree. Some of the midi sounds I've tried on RB have been pretty bad.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Some of the midi sounds I've tried on RB have been pretty bad.

RB has absolutely nothing to do with how your MIDI 'sounds'. It's all in your MIDI device selection.
To be as compatible as possible RB will let you use the simplest worst sounding synth .. but it can also use some very complex synths. Sounds like this may be part of the issue; synth selection for the given MIDI track.

Last edited by rharv; 09/13/14 02:58 PM.

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Rharv,
When you say, "Midi devise selection", are you referring to the different midi instruments, i.e Violin, Rock Organ, Acoustic Guitar, etc. that you can choose from?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I said device selection. not devise selection.

It means your choice of device you are using to create the sound, whether it is organ guitar or walrus.

Windows basic MIDI sounds = junk
Coyote Forte = better
Roland/Yamaha synth = better yet

hope that helps explain; it's your synth choice.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quote:
Some of the midi sounds I've tried on RB have been pretty bad.

RB has absolutely nothing to do with how your MIDI 'sounds'. It's all in your MIDI device selection.
To be as compatible as possible RB will let you use the simplest worst sounding synth .. but it can also use some very complex synths. Sounds like this may be part of the issue; synth selection for the given MIDI track.

Yes.... dead on target. The midi in BB/RB comes from the default synth you have assigned during the setup at installation. Unless you have changed it since.

When you load/open RB or BB, if you watch the screen, you will see it pop up a window telling you that it's loading TTS (in my machine) or some other default synth.

TTS and Coyote and others use basic patches.... oscillators and algorithms to fake the sound of a violin or a bagpipe, or tuba.... You can always use other synths if you have them on your machine by inserting them into the project in BB or RB.... (I don't use external synths in either so I'm not 100% sure on the exact process) telling RB/BB to use them rather than the default.

The advantage of using third party synths is that the better ones use samples (real instruments that have been sampled) to make the notes and therefore sound much more realistic.

When I need to do this, I normally move the midi track info into Sonar where I do know how to insert the synths and have a large selection of quality synths with huge sample libraries.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ralph Anthony
Rharv,
When you say, "Midi devise selection", are you referring to the different midi instruments, i.e Violin, Rock Organ, Acoustic Guitar, etc. that you can choose from?

If I may, the answer is No. Rharv is referring to the fact that BIAB does not provide the actual "sounds" it only provides the musical code (MIDI). Sounds come from the sound device you employ. I have found for $30 the soft synth Coyote Forte DXi to be very good. Also SampleTank 2.5 and many other soft synths as well as external sound modules can provide realistic sounds.

Edited... I am really a slow typer this morning.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 09/14/14 05:51 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I use TTS in BB since it was on the machine already and it sounds fairly decent and I rarely use a straight up BB track in the final production anyway.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi rharv,
Sorry bout the typo on device. (That does change the meaning of the sentence, doesn't it ).
I believe I understand now. You, as well as all the other posters are a tremendous help.
Thanks again.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195