Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
The following synth pads often do not transition smoothly between chords. Sometimes it sounds pretty smooth. Other times it's as if someone would really quickly just hammer the new chord. This is not such a big issue when a synth pad is used at the same time as a complete band, but if you play it alone or together with some instrument that does not drown it, it becomes clearly audible. Can this be fixed with some setting or do the synth pads simply not have transitions as smooth as other instruments?

1278:Synth Pad, PopUplift Ev 120
1842:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075

If you don't understand what I mean or if you can't reproduce the problem I could upload some audio files.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Alexander Paul; 09/17/14 02:47 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alexander,

I have noticed what you mention. My take on this is that it occurs because BIAB splices a track together from recordings of actual live performances and, due to this slicing and splicing, it's possible to get a progression of chord tones that would not occur if one followed the principle of voice leading (as in classical harmony).

My experience tells me that smoothness of transition is affected by: (a) the choice of 'from' and 'to' chord (for example, F to Eb might not sound the smoothest of transitions for a particular Realtrack where as F7 to Eb might work fine for most song generations); (b) a particular generation of a track. Often, if a transition is not smooth, simply regenerating the individual track will solve the issue.

What I sometimes do to finalise my tracks is to take them to a DAW where I can copy and paste sections. Thus, if I have a problem section, I simply find a workable equivalent section within the song and then copy that section and paste it over the not-so-good section.

I also often polish up my song in Realband. I've found that working in Realband is a real bonus because it allows regenerations of specific regions of a track. This can be used to overcome any generation issues that arise.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
It's worse than that. These are audio files. If your specific chord progression was recorded by a live player on my Kurzweil PC3 those transitions would be good because of both the patch on the Kurz and the technique used by the player.

Now, shift that to Biab. How could this possibly be done properly when the person who recorded those tracks has no idea what chords you are going to use? This is exactly the same problem with any RT piano with sustained chords. A real pianist is using the sustain pedal to handle those transitions. But, that pedaling technique required the player to actually know and understand the chords as he's playing them. That's impossible in the studio because Miles Black or anybody else is only playing what's he's playing. If you happened to pick a chord progression that he played then the transitions will sound good because they're in the original RT studio recording. Otherwise you're going from one chord to another that was not recorded sequentially so the transition must be chopped. No other way.

The only way to do this is to have the RT players play every possible chord sequence there is using all possible chord voicings in order to cover every user's potential chords. Mathematically it's possible I guess with a 3 TB hard drive for just one RT.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Noel96 - Alright! I've never used RealBand. Maybe it would be a good idea to start learning how to use it then. But you still prefer to copy and paste in some other DAW?

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alexander.

I do both.

Mostly I use Realband because I love Multiriff. Using this, I can generate up to seven different tracks of the same Realtrack. This gives me plenty of material from which to create the best compilation.

Here's a link to some Realband video tutorials that are worth having a look through.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.realband.htm

Sometimes I simply copy and paste in Reaper. I choose to do this if only one or two track adjustments are needed.

My theory is that the more tools I have in my song-creating tool-belt, the better off I am when it comes to making the best songs I can assemble.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Working Backwards I am......
As you know doing some amount of work with User Tracks.

Taking a modified version of the UT 10 min template there is an external midi
created.
Within this midi template are some number of multi-bar chords.
Load Realband with this midi template.
Setup voicing and sounds wanted.
Render the Midi to a wav file.
Listen to the wav file and every chord sounds great.. and smooth.
Even the multi-bar chords. No breaks, bumps or sound changes across
the Bar.

Then complete the UT.
Pick out a BIAB style demo to pak with the UT zip.
Play this demo and across every bar is some kind of change.
Same chord, just a bump as tho the chord is re-played.

I did/do have a similar thread in the UT forum, but minimal responses.
Interesting to read what you folks have said.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
seeker - I haven't looked into usertracks at all yet (I don't even know exactly how they work), so your post doesn't say much to me yet, but I will head to the usertracks forum and look now.

Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Hi Alexander,

We all know from the advertisements and useage that Band-in-a-Box and RealBand use pitch shifting and time compression/stretching technology. What we don't know are the "rules" the technologies follow.

Here is a gross example. Let's say you have two Realtracks, both containing the same chord progressions and riffs but one has a tempo of 80 bpm and the second at 120 bpm. Your song has a tempo of 100 bpm which Realtrack does it choose to load if you have automatic substitution selected? What if you don't have auto selection enabled? As you see, you can quickly come up with a bunch of sceneros where the final result can't be determined until it's heard. Now, let's say you need an "E" chord but one is not available from the RealTracks. We know an "E" will be created using pitch shift technology. There are now four different ways ( two source materials time pitch up or pitch down) to create the "E" chord and each way will most likely sound a little different.

RealBand and the multiriff feature really demonstrates these capabilities well. Playing the raw wma/wav RealTracks files in a media player helps you appreciate the thought and planning that has to be performed to create a RealTrack.

Hope this helped.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Alex,

They can be used like RealTracks, albeit maybe not as versatile
in their use.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200