Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Carl914 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Hi,

I am using BiaB 2013 and I am using two Dell laptops, same model, almost new, less than a year old, running Windows 7.

I have my office/studio computer and my gig computer. I have that set up because my office/studio is the main frame of my little world and the gig computer is the satellite. If someone stole my gig computer, I would be way beyond upset, but if someone stole my office/studio computer I could be dead meat.

Almost all of my BiaB songs begin as midi file and start out in my studio computer, edited and tweaked, put on a jump drive and copied over to the gig computer. About 20% of the time, the songs mutate on their way to the gig computer. The volume change, the patches change, and they become unusable. They are totally off base.

What I have is two copies of the same BIAB program, two identical computers, with matching OS. I have tried different jump drives with the same result.

Of course, I am afraid that one night I will have to use my jump drive's back up files and some of the songs will be screwed up.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Carl914; 09/22/14 02:48 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Carl,

As you describe the issue, it is strange indeed. I don't think there will be one, perfect answer that identifies just what is going on and how you can stop the issue from happening in the future. I think more background information may help to more clearly understand the issue.

When you save your song file do you always save with patches and settings? Do you periodically use the save as function to create a new version of a song file? Does BiaB typically crash while loading a file, playing a file, editing a file or are there all kinds of random crashes? What, if any, crash message(s) do you get? Are you using RealTracks, midi, soft synths, effects? Are you using the solo, melody or audio tracks?

If you are like me, I'm sure your song files go through a lot of changes between the initial song file creation and the finished song file. I've noticed that the more I experiment during song development the higher the probability an issue will crop up. Others may not share that perception so more information will help us understand what you're experiencing.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Carl,

Originally Posted By: "JimFogle"
Are you using RealTracks, midi, soft synths, effects? Are you using the solo, melody or audio tracks?

This is very curious. I wonder if Jim has hit the proverbial nail on the head with the above thought. What type of file(s) are you transferring? Is it a midi file, a wav/mp3 file, an SGU file or an MGU file?

Also, the background information Jim asks for will help give us all a clearer picture of your setup and make solving the problem easier.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
You say that both computers are identical but are both running the same background programs? Programs like anti-virus and malware can mess up the transfer.

Is one on the Internet while the other isn't?

You say they are the same computers but are you sure? Just because they have the same model number doesn't mean they have the identical components. If you look for your Dell model drivers I would bet that you have a choice of a number of them, at least based on my knowledge. I have worked on a number of Dell computers and it is always a PITA trying to find the right drivers out of the number listed for a given model number. This indicates to me that all Dells with the identical model numbers are not identical.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
First of all..... get Carbonite. Its an "in the cloud" backup solution. Cost is about $60 a year IIRC for a personal subscription. Backups are automatic.

I will tell you this..... I have it on my computers as a business plan. Costs more but covers more too. My business computer DIED....and yes.... I too become the proverbial DEAD MEAT..... I can not imagine trying to recover from a catastrophic crash..... but there I was faced with that very situation. All my business and financials gone in a dead computer.

I bought a new computer, logged into my Carbonite account, and did a "data restore" and let the computer run. I selected the important biz files to download first.....then went out and did something else for a while. When I returned, ALL my biz files were back and working perfectly.

So if you fear a crash and loss of data through crash or theft..... get Carbonite. It will save the day.

Second. Unless you are, like me, where my DAW is totally off line..... why not use a network cable/switch to connect and transfer the song data? Faster and easier.

Third. Unless the programs and plugs in both computers are 100% alike..... you will get missing fx and patches that seem to be missing or not saved. I get this kind of a situation ALL THE TIME when I work across the internet with others. Even though we have the same DAW, the plugs and patches are almost never the same.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I have a question for the BIAB users who use BIAB to gig live with. Why? Aside from the fact that BIAB will regenerate a new variation of the song if you choose do so at every play what benefits are there as opposed to using a permanent MP3 or wave file of the song?

I'm not implying that its a wrong approach but it seems that some of the issues experienced by users with unexplained results during plat form cross overs such as in this case could be eliminated by having the whole song rendered as one file through RB or other DAW. All you need after that is a Mp3 or wave player. That way the sound and everything always stays the same, no surprises.

I know there are so many ways to use BIAB and not everyone has the same requirements. The question is for my own benefit. I tend to use BIAB as a creative tool and track generator then finish in the DAW. I can render the song if I desire minus the vocals and my guitar and then play live with the finished MP3 files. Also the finished MP3 sounds way better than just what BIAB can produce. Don't get me wrong, vanilla BIAB rendered tracks sound great but running the tracks through a DAW and adding some polish really makes the finished song shine.

Again no right or wrong way. I'd just like to know why people use BIAB in a live setting.

Veteran
Veteran
Jeff, you asked this question with a nice blend of understanding and respect. I use a .WAV player for the few occasions when I bring a BIAB-originated backing track. From what I've read on these forums over decades, I think your speculation is correct: the reason one would use BIAB live is the difference possible with each regeneration. If I were to gig more often with a backing track, I would want to have a challenge handling the differences each playback

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jeff S
I have a question for the BIAB users who use BIAB to gig live with. Why? Aside from the fact that BIAB will regenerate a new variation of the song if you choose do so at every play what benefits are there as opposed to using a permanent MP3 or wave file of the song?

That way the sound and everything always stays the same, no surprises.

Again no right or wrong way. I'd just like to know why people use BIAB in a live setting.

My thoughts exactly. And when I do play out and about and use tracks.... it is always a wave file generally burned to a CD rather than being played from a computer. The less chance something can go wrong, the better I like it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Carl,
If you received your copy of BIAB on a usb hard drive, what happens to the songs if you just move that to the other computer? If you only have the dvd's then I don't have anything new to add to the ideas listed already.
Good luck.

C
Carl914 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
I am amazed and so grateful for all the input and suggestions. Thank you all so much.

It dawned on me today that I might be rushing the saving process. In my previous life, I got into the habit of saving after almost every change and then expecting to save that change in less than 100ms. Not logical, but I think that might be the problem. I am not giving the computer enough time to complete this complex process. All I have to do, I think, is to give it a full four or five seconds of time to git r done.

When I save, 99% of the time I save the patches. When I save I make sure the box asking for automatic multiple version changes is unchecked. I let Real Tracks make the normally live variations without a style change. Once have what I want, I save the tracks frozen.

I think about the cloud storage, but I had three fairly large hard drives hooked up to last year's desk top when it died during a storm. I just don't want to carry any part of that to a gig. Automatic saves to those things works so far.

I think the reason I use BiaB for gigs is that is what I sorta grew up with. I have been a studio owner/guitar player for decades and I just almost always recorded and edited something midi in every session. About three years ago, I sold off almost all my midi hardware rack (I kept my Alesis drummer, Alesis Nanobass module, and my Roland midi bass pedals. Just in case.) and moved into new midi software, Cakewalk X3 and BiaB. I have seen my friends use cassettes, CDs, DVDs, mini disks, computer hard drives, and USBs. I have my computer set lists, but combined with a tip, I might take a request. I find it easy enough to jump in and out of my set lists with BiaB and a laptop. I could be wrong of course, but this seem about the best way for me to do that. What I really love is Jukebox. Load in a Set Folder and I am off to the races. If a friend drops by to sit in, I can turn off the bass or keyboards, and let them play. Almost all drummers HATE midi sequencing , so I won't even go there. I try to use good samples, not sound card sounds, so it sounds like a real band to my ears. So, long story short, I have used midi for almost 30 years. I am used to it.

Just to let everyone know, I am not a brick wall. You can teach this old dog new tricks. I am always looking for the ultimate live rig and I am willing to listen to anything anyone has to say about playing as a single that sounds like a band.

Thanks again everyone.
Peace,
c

Veteran
Veteran
Wow Carl,

I'm glad to read you think you may have an idea what's going on. I've noticed on my machine, which is admittantly older than many, the amount of time needed to save a BiaB file can vary.

BiaB seems to do a lot of background tasks during the save function. For instance if you're saving a SGU file that will be used as part of a UserTracks, BiaB may create a "memo.txt" or "options.txt" file during the save process. Then there are other tasks like updating the screen or message log. While some tasks happen with every save, others don't so it's easy for me to understand why the time needed to save changes.

I don't use BiaB for live gigs but many forum members do. A few have mentioned in other postings they prefer to use BiaB live, versus using prepared tracks, for greater variety or to accommodate musicians that ask to set-in. Obviously there are limitations and advantages to both methods. Luckily, both methods work.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Carl914 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Thank you, Jim.

I may find out six months from now that my plan is not working out. And, as you said, there are still plans A-Z to be tried out. It may be possible that a combination of all of the above is the real ticket and that having folks sit in might be just wishful thinking on my part.

I will be in touch.

c

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200