Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#263394 - 09/25/14 09:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades?
Dan45 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Upstate NY
I just recently got a new(er) PC and it came with 2GB RAM upgradeable to 8MB. I've noticed that some of the processes are real memory hogs-
-Regenerating
-DAW drag-and-drop
-also for some reason when I start a song in BiaB and then open it in RB it takes a lonnnnng time to generate the 1st time. Much much longer than in BiaB. But that's a separate issue.

I'm thinking of just getting two more 1GB sticks and putting them in to see what happens, or possibly even two 2GB sticks if I get a lot of encouragement here on the Forums.

I know there are other caveats that will affect speed/performance but adding memory is the low hanging fruit.
Godin Nylon String Synth Access Guitar

#263398 - 09/25/14 09:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
If I recall correctly, 32-bit Windows will only address 4 GB, and of that, some is taken up by the operating system giving you about 3.2 to work with. Thus the two 1 GB sticks would be the maximum RAM without wasting any.

However, if you have a 64-bit processor and a 64-bit Windows, it can address gads more. The problem is that a 32-bit program such as BIAB cannot.

Bottom line, until BIAB releases a 64-bit version, I believe 4 GB RAM is all you will be able to use for that one program. Same applies to RealBand.

ps Your subject line is funny, because in the Forum List, on my screen anyway, it is shortened to "Anybody disappointed in me..."

Edited by Matt Finley (09/25/14 09:41 AM)
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#263400 - 09/25/14 10:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Matt's comments are spot on, and especially relating to 32-bit applications.

In my view, RAM is often more important than processing power and this is often overlooked. If your system is hard paging (using the disk swap file) you will see a significant degradation in performance. Only more RAM can cure that, not faster CPU's or anything else. More RAM can also reduce any paging from occurring.

I'm interested how you actually determined that Regenerating and DAW drag-and-drop are real memory hogs? How was that memory usage measured?

For RealBand, after you first import and generate, save the file as a native real band sequence file (.SEQ) and load that next time, it will be almost instantaneous.

RAM nowadays is cheap, very cheap actually. 2Gb is also pretty light on. Go for it, don't hold back. More is always better.

Cheers

Trevor

PS: you mentioned: "...it came with 2GB RAM upgradeable to 8MB." Should be 8GB

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#263401 - 09/25/14 10:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Matt Finley]
Dan45 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Matt, glad I could give you a chuckle. I'm pretty sure the version of W7 OS I am running wants to stay at 32 bit too, but I'll have to check when I get home. Either way no point in putting in more than I need.

BTW, I purchased your Brazilian Wish CD a couple years ago- I still listen to it all the time. Is there a follow up in the offing?

#263402 - 09/25/14 10:44 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: VideoTrack]
Dan45 Offline
Apprentice

Trevor, I am just assuming based on the wait time that memory is the bottleneck. When I see the little icon spinning around that's what I think. Or if the bar in the upper rh of the screen turns red and shows the percentage done slowly creeping up for each track as it comes in.

Next time I'll open up the task manager and see if that sheds any more light.

#263405 - 09/25/14 10:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Dan45
Trevor, I am just assuming based on the wait time that memory is the bottleneck. When I see the little icon spinning around that's what I think. Or if the bar in the upper rh of the screen turns red and shows the percentage done slowly creeping up for each track as it comes in.

Next time I'll open up the task manager and see if that sheds any more light.

In that case it might not be RAM at all. I suspect that this is CPU processing time, that's why I asked.

Start Resource Monitor (easiest way is from button on Performance tab of Windows Task Manager), click on BBW.exe and then monitor Memory usage (or CPU etc)

Attachments
2014-09-26_00-53-12.jpg

2014-09-26_01-00-17.jpg

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#263408 - 09/25/14 11:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
Veteran

Dan, thanks for the kind comment about my CD. I haven't (yet) made another. Maybe someday, but I've been busy doing horn and woodwinds arrangements and playing on CDs of others. As you know, my CD is Brazilian jazz-oriented. However, if you also like Latin jazz, you might enjoy a CD by my percussionist, Tomas Martin Lopez, called On the Beat Path. I wrote 8 of the 11 tunes and performed on the CD. I hope it's OK to say all that because I composed all 8 tunes in BIAB, just as I did the 9 tunes on my CD.

I, too wondered how you came to the conclusion RAM was the bottleneck. Do what Trevor says above. Perhaps you could also tell us more about your computer system. I find it odd that it could be a newish system with only 2 GB of RAM. Also, if you go to Control Panel, System and Security, System in Windows 7, you will see what kind of CPU you have and whether your version of Windows is 32 or 64-bit.

And, to confuse you even more, the single greatest change I made to speed up BIAB on my system was to install a SSD boot drive and run BIAB from that.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#263409 - 09/25/14 11:53 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
You compared the regeneration time between BiaB and RealBand while mentioning the RealBand regeneration is way long.

In some older posts (prior to the 2014 release I'm sure) somebody stated the way BiaB and RealBand handles regeneration differs greatly. I can summarize the explanation as: RealBand generates everything one time then plays while BiaB generates the beginning then plays with the rest of the generation happening during play. After the initial generation BiaB generates the whole song again while RealBand only generates when it's told to and what it's told to.

In my opinion, the different ways the two programs handle generation and regeneration is the most compeling reason for having two programs.

I'm following discussion with great interest because, sooner or later, I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

I know most off-the-shelf entry or mid level computers ship with motherboards that can take 8 Gig of memory and Win 8.1 (64 bit) with Bing. The bottom line seems to be 2 Gig with a 500 GB drive and the level above that 4 Gig with a 1 TB drive. So called desktop computers are getting scarce on retail shelves as all-in-ones and laptops are more popular and available within the same price ranges.

In some ways, now is a great time to buy a computer as $240 to $300 entry computers are plentiful and a little increase in money gets you a pretty good increase in ram or storage. Once you get above that price level though it quickly can get expensive..

For instance I can get a computer with 2Gig of ram and 500 GB hard drive for $238 or same model with 4Gig of ram and 1 TB hard drive for $258. However, to purchase an upgrade from 4 to 8 Gig of ram is $89.

Sorry for getting off track but I can easily relate to starting with a 2GB ram computer and trying to figure out the most cost effective way to upgrade it.

Edited by JimFogle (09/25/14 12:24 PM)
Edit Reason: added final comment.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#263410 - 09/25/14 11:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
Veteran

Jim is correct. One clarification if I may.

The ability of BIAB to start playing soon after starting to regenerate a song is now switchable as of a few versions ago. If you have a slower PC and experience audio dropouts, you can turn off the checkbox for "Speed up generation of RealTracks" in the Options, RealTracks. My home-built PC is going on six years old (a Core Duo) and turning off that checkbox helps me. Of course, that also means I will wait longer to hear anything after regenerating.

#263432 - 09/25/14 06:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
BarryKJ Offline
Journeyman

Another 'low hanging fruit' is to kill any unnecessary background programs / processes, to include closing BIAB before firing up RB, if your work method allows. That frees ram (mostly) so the net effect is similar to adding ram (you could get some freeware program(s) to free up ram left unavailable by ill behaved programs - some work better than others).
Good luck.

#263443 - 09/25/14 06:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
solidrock Offline
Expert

Where are your RealTracks ? on internal, external USB 2.0 USB 3.0 ?

#263456 - 09/25/14 08:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
2 Gig RAM is easily occupied. Doubling that should yield a noticeable difference (going to 4 gig).

Going to 6 or 8 (preferably 8 for specific reasons) would likely top out the memory performance. Unless it's a server of some sort. If DDR2 that could be costly, but DDR3 pricing should be reasonable.

As solidrock mentioned, the drive you are generating from can make a big difference too.
Here a 4 gig machine generating from an internal SATA drive is much faster than the same machine using an external USB drive. But I think RAM will yield more bang for buck first as it affects system performance for all programs.

Then there's the drive being used to assemble the generated parts (temp audio directory) .. multiple drives can be very beneficial for BiaB/RB if used correctly.

Edited by rharv (09/25/14 08:48 PM)

#263462 - 09/25/14 10:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: rharv]
Dan45 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks again for all the responses, it took me a while to go through everything and follow down all the leads. First a little background: My old DAW started life in 2001 or so and around 2006 I upgraded the mobo, chip, memory, and power supply. A while later the hard drive died and I was pressed for time so I took it somewhere and had them throw a new one in for me. I knew it was ancient and was a little glitchy but I was happy with it, at least until XP fell out of favor.

A while back I got the idea to look online at buying Windows 7 and soon found I could get a refurbished office PC with the OS already installed for not much more money so I did that ($119).

Here's some info on it:
Dell Optiplex 745
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Intel Pentium D 3.40 Ghz
2GB RAM
32 bit system

Windows Experience Index base score 3.3,
(however I expect that score to go up when my new graphics card arrives and I can go back to dual monitors. All my other scores are in the 5's.)

I turned on Resource Monitor and ran through all the sluggish processes I already described, again, and observed and took notes. With BiaB in DAW mode, it uses a lot of CPU power to drag into Sonar, then drops off once it is loading in there.

When I open a BiaB song in RB it takes two to three times as long to regenerate and again it is the CPU that is maxed out. At no time did it seem like memory was the problem. The system seems to idle at around 765 Mb , BiaB uses about 90 MB additional and RB uses about 140 MB additional just idling. During hard usage, I never saw memory go up more than a couple hundred more, or 60% of available memory, at any time.

I did remember to uncheck the "speed up generation of real tracks" and it made a tiny difference but not too noticeable. Then again my songs are pretty basic, three or four straight chords repeating over and over.

Now the best part: when I installed the software, I did the minimum install and continued to run BiaB and RB off the external hard drive supplied by PG Music. On the old box I had more HD space so I installed it there. But now it's USB 2.0, the cable they supplied splits into two and goes into 2 USB ports on the back of the box.

So there you have it. I think once I get back to dual monitors I'll be a happy camper. Here's a little info from Dell that might help explore different hard drive options. My current one is only 70GB. Guess I should have looked harder at that. Now I wonder exactly what was in the old box....maybe I can slap that in the new one. I'll go dig it out. I think it was a lot bigger.

Thanks again everybody!

HARD DRIVE OPTIONS

Supported Types Serial ATA or Serial ATA 3.0

Available Drives 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s: 80GB, 160GB, 250GB4 7200RPM

10K RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s: 80GB

SMART Technology SMART III

Burst Transfer Rate 300 Mbit/s

Partition Support MS Windows XP Professional SP2: Support both FAT16 and FAT32. FAT32 will be the default configuration

MS Windows XP Home SP2: Support both FAT16 a

#263507 - 09/26/14 11:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: Dan45]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Don't want to burst your bubble but that system won't cut it for digital audio production. Will it work, yes will it work well, no. A used machine you picked up for a hundred bucks? Digital audio is nothing like running spreadsheets or other Office programs in a business. Digital audio requires serious power.

There's been lots of threads about problems people have with Biab/RB and invariably when they finally post their system specs it's something like this box. You can tweak it, you can max out the ram, change hard drives, all of that and what do you have? An antique computer.

Forget those Windows performance numbers run Geekbench. It's here http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/

Just run the free version and I'll bet the score is down in the 2,000 range. My system is 7,423 and a new Intel i7 is over 11,000.

In todays world a score of 2,000 barely gets you up in the morning.

Bob

#263522 - 09/26/14 12:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Anybody disappointed in memory upgrades? [Re: jazzmammal]
Dan45 Offline
Apprentice

Whoa! Reality check! I guess I'm just happy it works at all. I'm not ready to spring big bucks for a better system so from here on out I'll just focus on the nuts and bolts of the program and getting it to work its magic for me.

Thanks for the wake up call. People on this forum are very helpful and I certainly did not want to waste anybody's time or mislead people in any way. I guess now I know I fall way down towards the Luddite end of the continuum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Xtra Styles PAKs - Order Now... Sale Ends January 15th!

Hurry... all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE, but only until January 15th! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

The recently released Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

It's the LAST WEEKEND of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends on January 15th... it's your last weekend to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm
(learn more about the new features: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm)

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Bonus PAKs are Almost Gone!

Purchase your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows during our special, which ends on January 15th, and it will include a FREE BONUS PAK!* Time is running out...

You can also choose to upgrade your Free Bonus PAK to the 2018 49-PAK for an additional $49! This will and add Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, ALL 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé. http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm#bonus49.

The Free Bonus PAK includes Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, 10 MIDI SuperTracks, 7 Instrumental Studies, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles bonus and 52 Loops - learn more at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm.

*The $49 Pro Upgrade does not include the Free Bonus PAK, any RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks or other Add-ons.

Autumn Leaves Video Tutorial - Band-in-a-Box Backing Tracks!

Forum user Lot2Learn recently shared their Autumn Leaves - Jazz Piano Tutorial video to our I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube forum, it's approaching 1.7 million views!

Make sure you watch this incredible tutorial video! http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=stsBqdo9Svc

Songwriting Feedback - "Why This Forum Matters"

Our Forum is a great resource when you're wanting to discuss Band-in-a-Box (or other PG Music Inc. programs), but it's so much more!

In addition to the different sections we have for our products (Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, PowerTracks, and Other PG Music Programs), there are also places on our Forum to share your songs, YouTube videos, ask for tech help for problems not related to our software, "off topic" discussions, and more!

Forum user David Snyder shared his thoughts on Why This Forum Matters in his recent Songwriting post, which has some great feedback, including:

It occurred to me this morning that it is the group effort that counts. That is, one kind word about another member's song, one piece of encouragement or generous suggestion, might cause that person to write the greatest song ever written, which might then go on to have a massive impact on some stranger's life, cause someone to fall in love, or turn their life around, and literally change the course of history. Because songs do that.

OR, one kind word given to YOU might cause you to write the greatest song ever written in the coming year, and that song could go on to have an impact on untold thousands. Who knows! It happens all the time.

But the point is, it is not about any one of us, it is about all of us, the group.

Read through the whole conversation (and join in!): http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=447431

...and a big THANK YOU to David for sharing his thoughts!

Forum Stats
26941 Members
49 Forums
49632 Topics
406041 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
TimN-MK, pskipsey, Ammeo, JFW, gerchwin Saxplay

26940 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 320
VideoTrack 277