#263888 09/29/14 07:55 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Does anybody use one of these?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG507NA

or its electric kin?

I've been stuck in the same place on the geetar for years. I can hold my own rhythmically and have a decent knowledge of basic folk/rock chords. I accompany myself regularly but would like to add leads and fills to my playing.

Do you feel the Fretlight would help with learning these skills?
How about traditional flat-picking?
Does it work well with BIAB?
Is it just a gimmick?

PRearden #263890 09/29/14 08:33 PM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, the Fretlight is a great tool to help learn the guitar. With Band-in-a-Box, you can send all of the guitar information to the Fretlight so that you see it played on the actual Fretlight, which has LED lights on the fretboard.

You can see a video of it as used in Band-in-a-Box here http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm (search for the word Fretlight on that page to find the video

Or go to Fretlight.com for more info.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PRearden #263892 09/29/14 08:56 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mr. Rearden, if you live near Colorado Springs, I know someone who is looking to unload their Fretlight, last time I talked to him. Send me a PM, and I will contact him to see if he is still considering selling it.

PRearden #263911 09/30/14 05:00 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have to discount the opinion of the salesman.

Customer looking for a new vehicle: "If I put a hitch on this Chevy Sonic will it pull my fishing boat?"

Salesman: "Putting a hitch on it will allow you to pull just about anything."

Unspoken addendum: "...about two feet in six hours"

I'm sure Peter is proficient at the instrument and its fretboard without the use of the Fretlight.

Perhaps I asked the wrong question.

As I said, I'm stuck. And from what I've read on other forums, it is a common place to be stuck at (see above).

Has anyone actually used one of these, with or without BIAB, as a bonafide learning tool?
Has anyone actually used one of these to increase their knowledge / skill?
What is your experience with this tool?

PRearden #263912 09/30/14 05:07 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Back in "my day" when we had to walk uphill both ways, in 6 feet of snow.....

We learned on basic acoustic guitars.... if we were fortunate, we had an electric guitar and amp as well....

All kidding aside....

While today's technology can make it easier to learn some things, it still comes down to YOU doing the hard work and putting in the hours over the months and years to become proficient. There is no substitute or short cut to that.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/30/14 05:09 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
PRearden #263918 09/30/14 05:54 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am already in enough trouble around here to provide an opinion. But I can answer your questions.

No
No
None

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #263920 09/30/14 06:05 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
I am already in enough trouble around here to provide an opinion. But I can answer your questions.

No
No
None

I don't know if I particularly care for your tone there Danny Boy. You aren't ranting, are you? grin

PRearden #263922 09/30/14 06:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Believe me, I am applying the highest level of constraint possible. grin

PRearden #263924 09/30/14 06:27 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe it's just me (and it probably is) but I was a little disappointed to see this latest update. It kinda struck me as taking BIAB down a notch or two, moving it from a real musical tool to well...a toy. I guess it would appeal to a broader demographic and from that standpoint it's a good marketing move. But for me, I had a sinking feel that maybe I'm getting old and that this might mean a marked change in the direction of an app that I love.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
MountainSide #263926 09/30/14 06:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Maybe it's just me...

OMG, not at all.

MountainSide #263928 09/30/14 07:05 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Geez. ... No need for all the doom and gloom. While most of us old farts may look down our nose at a product like Fretlight, the younger generation probably looks at it and thinks its really cool.

If it helps people learn to play, that's a good thing. And since its mostly going to be younger folks who would buy Fretlight, then that opens up a whole new group of potential customers for BIAB.

PG is smart to embrace it. Lighten up already.

PRearden #263930 09/30/14 07:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think Fretlight is a great thing. Not for me, though - at this point, I'm happy just to stay in tune for four sets. grin

PRearden #263933 09/30/14 07:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My sons and friends spent hours and hours with guitar hero on the Nintendo .... oh, nevermind.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #263936 09/30/14 08:31 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My sons and friends spent hours and hours with guitar hero on the Nintendo .... oh, nevermind.

Go ahead......dig that hole deeper! shocked shocked shocked

Guitarhacker #263958 09/30/14 01:37 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

While today's technology can make it easier to learn some things, it still comes down to YOU doing the hard work and putting in the hours over the months and years to become proficient. There is no substitute or short cut to that.

Agreed. However, I have always had a divide when trying to apply the TAB found in lesson books to the fretboard. Modern tab programs like Guitar Pro and BIAB make this a bit better by allowing you to listen while it is played, but I still have to transfer to the fretboard. I was thinking this might be the tool to help me correct the disconnect. I realize it will not happen without me.

DrDan #263960 09/30/14 01:38 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

My sons and friends spent hours and hours with guitar hero on the Nintendo ....

Yes, that is what I am trying to circumvent. Is this just a plaything?

That is why I was looking for a qualified opinion (i.e. an opinion from someone who has used one; and not from someone selling). The fact that none of the responses are from someone who has actually played the thing... well, I'm not sure what that indicates....

However, there seems to be a bias (albeit not a qualified one) against the device.

I am not trying to ruffle feathers here... seems like there's a hornets' nest being kicked about the thread (please excuse the mixed metaphor).

This guitar is on sale for another day at Sweetwater. Bearing in mind BIAB supported the device, I thought there would be those whom have had experience with it.

PRearden #263966 09/30/14 01:57 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry if it looked like I was messin with you. Just working out my own issues (with the help others here...).

But I do see what you are trying to do, cause I have spent the last 25 years doing something similar, trying to find a way to move ever forward with the guitar. I can tell you I bought and used almost every gizmo I could over the years. Even had a gadget which I squeezed in my hand to make my fingers stronger. I bought them all. Even BIAB! Some lasted (BIAB) but many are now in the bottom of my closet. Or sold for pennies on the dollar at a garage sale. Did they make me a better guitar player. I would have to say yes cause they keep me working at it all these years and I had fun doing it. If I was starting out again I would be first in line for a fretline. Why? Because it looks neat and I would have fun with it. But looking back much of the money may have been better spent on lessons with a pro. You Decide.

PRearden #263968 09/30/14 02:30 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
PRearden, sorry I do not have direct experience to share. But I have watched their videos and based on what I have seen this looks like a great product because it is built on A REAL GUITAR! The Guitar Hero comment was way off base because that device is simply a video game controller while this is A REAL GUITAR. You will almost certainly benefit from having the frets light up as you learn a new song or riff because you will not need to look back and forth from a page or screen and back to the guitar. And the fact that it is supported by BIAB is simply awesome!

The only concern I would have is the quality of the guitar itself. If it is cheaply made and will not hold tuning that would render it troublesome or possibly useless. BUT, given the vast improvements in quality for fairly cheap Chinese guitars nowadays I suspect they have based this product on a decent guitar that will play nicely in addition to having the fretlight feature.

My advice? If you wanna improve on guitar and can afford this right now grab it and enjoy it!!!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 09/30/14 02:32 PM.
PRearden #263972 09/30/14 02:46 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you do get one, you might want to also get a copy of GuitarPro 6 for Fretlight with it.

Guitar Pro is a good program. I have versions 4 and 5, but not for Fretlight..

http://www.fretlight.com/software/gp6fr

Today is the last day for free GP6 with it at Sweetwater.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 09/30/14 02:50 PM.
PRearden #263994 09/30/14 06:46 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mr. Rearden,

Tab by itself can be a distraction to learning the fretboard and note names. I was one of those that played guitar for 20+ years without really learning the fretboard. It wasn't until I started playing bass guitar, when I basically HAD to learn the fretboard.

How did I learn it? I made myself a bunch of flashcards that I kept in my backpack and quizzed myself with any down-time that I had. So, now I know the bottom 4 and top e strings on guitar without even thinking about it. Tablature did not help because I didn't force myself to learn notation at the same time as tablature telling me exactly what string/fret to push down.

Tab and 'moving tab' (which is really what fretlight is) will help you to play the correct notes, but it will not help you to learn the note names all by itself. You will have to discipline yourself to learn the note names/staff position while using the fretlight.

Again, I have a friend that is ready to unload his strat-style fretlight. It's not a bad quality instrument, but it is a lower quality instrument than if you spent the same money on a non-fretlight instrument. That's my opinion after just holding it and playing it un-plugged. Would light-up keys help you to learn to play piano better? The same can be asked about the fretlight. It's likely a bit better of a learning tool than the light-up keys keyboards, because you do have a more complicated situation with the non-linear layout of a guitar keyboard as compared to linear piano-style keyboards.

What is your learning style - is it visual, oral, tactile, etc? It could be that this might be just the ticket, or just another source of frustration for you.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,109
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185