Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#263894 09/29/14 10:38 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I know, everyone hates newbies, they ask all the same questions... But I searched and didn't see it. Where do I post bug reports?

Thanks!

Willy.

WillyL #263896 09/29/14 11:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Willy,

Welcome to the forums.

This forum is the perfect place to post issues regarding BIAB if it's the Windows edition.

What's the problem?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
WillyL #263914 09/30/14 05:14 AM
Veteran
Veteran
This is as good a place as any to post bug reports..... however, be sure, first of all, that it is a bug and not just something you haven't yet figured out or learned yet.

Most often, the bugs are most prevalent in the first new yearly release and get fixed in the subsequent "updates" in the first quarter of the year, so by now, they are all (mostly) fixed if you have the most recent upgrade applied.

So, as Noel asked... what seems to be the issue?

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
WillyL #263925 09/30/14 06:47 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: WillyL
I know, everyone hates newbies, they ask all the same questions... But I searched and didn't see it. Where do I post bug reports?

Thanks!

Willy.

Willy, one little correction: As far as I can tell, nobody here dislikes newbies. Everyone starts somewhere. Welcome to this great forum. There's some great members with stacks of knowledge who are willing to help and share ideas. You've already had a reply from a couple of them.

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
WillyL #263975 09/30/14 03:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran
One direct method; click Support at the top of the page.
Phone, Email, Chat .. lots of options.

If you think it's a bug report it.
If not sure post here and others can test with you to verify a 'bug'. Or help solve the issue if not.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
WillyL #264106 10/02/14 12:55 AM
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Okay, so here's one:
1. Downloaded Sultans of Swing from Amazon and had the Audio Chord Wizard turn it into chords for me. It made a decent stab at it, but got a lot of things wrong, D vs. Dm, too many 7s and sus's that kind of thing, but it's hard and I don't take that as a bug.
2. So I sent it back to biab and it got the key wrong, it thought it was in F and most of you know it's in Dm. Okay, not a problem, there are F chords in there after all.
3. Spent a lot of time getting all the chords right, but eventually things are okay. I then tried using the song form to put in ABCBCCCCD, and that worked okay, but it did nothing visible. When I tried to use it to auto-generate repeats it said it couldn't do it, so I put all the repeats in by hand.
4. Had a glitch when trying to put it back into ACW and when I sent it back to biab a second time, it wiped out all the chords, changed the first chord and the key to F and that was that. But now I can't reproduce that one, so okay.
5. Now I tried to enter the lyrics in Notation mode. First off, why so large and why only two bars at a time even when I change the font smaller? Anyway, I use line mode next since I don't have a melody line.
6. Second, if I do anything other than type text, the cursor goes back to the start of the line. Click on the notation line for example, then click back where you left off typing, and what you type starts at the start of the line. I think you can fix it by clicking twice on the spot you want to start typing again, but it is a bit cumbersome.
7. Next if you are done typing for the current two bars you can't go to the next two bars using the arrow keys. You first have to ckick on the staff area and then hit right-arrow. Then you have to click on the text bar again. I can't say I had a good time doing this but eventually I got lyrics entered all the way to bar 128.
8. Here's where it gets unhappy. I tried entering text for bar 129 or 130, and the other bar next to it, and then went to the next couple of bars only to find the same text I just typed already there! In fact the same text was now copied to the rest of the song, from bar 130 to the end (bar 213 or so). I never managed to put the rest of the lyrics in.

Enough for now, does any of that sound familiar? Don't get me wrong, it makes very nice accompaniment, using the Real Tracks country style with pedal steel right now, but I thought things should be a little essier than what I encountered so far... and I just got started...:-)

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts...

Willy.

WillyL #264112 10/02/14 03:11 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Willy

You really did start at the deep end. If I was a new user, I would've been happy at about step 3...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
WillyL #264115 10/02/14 03:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Willy,

Here are a couple of things that may help.

Firstly, regarding the size of the notation editor window and the 2 bar display.

To change the size of the window, enter into Notation Mode and click on the "-" sign I've highlighted with a yellow circle below.

Secondly, to adjust the number of bars in the display, again enter Notation Mode. This time, click on the "Opt" on the left upper side of the stave. I've highlighted the setting to adjust.

Regards,
Noel
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
WillyL #264117 10/02/14 03:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Regarding point #4 in your post (losing the chords when sending the song back to BIAB a second time).

This is correct behaviour. The programming assumes that when you send the song to BIAB, you have finished with the ACW. Next time you use the ACW, BIAB will assume it's a new song and overwrite what is on the chord sheet.

Personally, I always save multiple copies of songs so that I can get back to a previous working version if needed.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
WillyL #264119 10/02/14 04:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran
In relation to your point #2 (the song's key).

F is the relative major of Dm - both have Bb in the key signature. I'll have to do some experimenting here because I'm not sure how accurately ACW differentiates between minor keys and their relative major.

To be fair to ACW, there is nothing that really identifies "Sultans of Swing" as being necessarily in D minor. The C and Bb chord are much more appropriate to F major than D minor and there is no Gm chord that I'm aware of (chord IV in the key of D minor) to help the identifying process.

Sultan's of Swing is unusual in this regard.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
WillyL #264124 10/02/14 05:10 AM
S
Expert
Expert
S
To get the lyrics you could use a midi kar file that has the lyrics Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing 2.kar

http://karaokefiles.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/midi-karaoke-songs-da-dw.html

Open it in Realband, set Bar offset to -2, click on Tempo Map, Clear it set Tempo to 148 (this tempo worked with my mp3, you can add to tempo map or change to sync if out), drag the mp3 in and move (Ctrl+Drag) it after highlighting it (Ctrl+A) to align to bar 1, and solo that track, click up on the big L (Lyrics window) click find lyrics.

Edit: the original wav from my CD was 143 so you can leave it at 143 without removing the tempo map if your mp3 is 143, you can also change the tempo of the Amazom mp3 if it's out by highlighting track > right click > Time Stretch..Selected Audio Track > Old Tempo New Tempo, till it syncs.

WillyL #264132 10/02/14 06:53 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Willy, I have found the ACW to be unpredictable when transcribing chords from a CD. It does work with simple songs and it works really well if one instrument is playing but it does have problems with whole bands. This is a problem with programs like ACW and not limited to just ACW.

My method goes like follows:
1-google 'song title chords' (no quotes) and you will find a lot of sites that will give you the lyrics and chords and print them out.
2-input chords into BiaB. As most all songs repeat the chords for verses, chorus, etc copy and paste will save you a lot of time.
3-generate a backing track.

I have found this method much faster then using ACW but YMMV.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
WillyL #264273 10/02/14 10:49 PM
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for all the comments!

To Noel: thanks, I knew about the - and + but hadn't found the place to allow more bars in the display. So that would help, if not for the following: the font of the lyrics in the lyrics bar stays the same enormous size, and when I change the number of bars on the screen, the lyrics basically get shifted around to cover a larger number of bars. When you print this out, the lyrics remain on the printed page where they were before, but each line now has more bars, and thus the correspondence between bar and lyric is lost. I would call that a bug.

As to point #4, I could understand (but just barely) if ACW would put back all the chords that IT thought should be there, but the two or three times I tried it (but now can't reproduce), it got rid of all chords, and just put an F chord in bar 1. All other 212 bars were blank. Also, you are supposed to be able to keep your edits and yet go back to ACW, according to the docs, and to the dialog that asks you if you want to keep all that. But we'll let this go until it happens again... :-)

As to point #2, setting the key to F where most of it is Dm, I think that's fine. Would be good if it could remember that you changed it, though.

To solidrock: Thanks for the pointer, that sure seems like it would save a lot of work. By the way, it seems that RealBand duplicates a bunch of stuff in BIAB. Is RealBand the start of a rewrite of BIAB? Why have two different programs otherwise? I haven't quite figured out when to use BIAB and when to use RB.

To Mario: you may be right, it takes about as much time to edit the chords produced by ACW as it would take to type them in.

About chorus and verse: I have read the docs and FAQ on that, but still don't understand. What is a chorus in BIAB? How would you describe what the chorus is in Sultans of Swing, for example? As I said before, it seems like ABCBCCCCD to me, where A is the intro (8 bars of essentially Dm) and B is the first what I would call verse, C the second (Sultans doesn't really have what I would call choruses), which is like the first, except it has an added piece, and finally a tagline of four bars that get repeated until the song fades out. Suppose I knew what BIAB means by a chorus, could I do something with it? One is supposed to be able to print out multiple lines of lyrics for each bar of chords, for example, but I don't know how to do it.

I'm sorry about all these questions, but you said you didn't mind newbies... :-)

Thanks again!

Willy.

WillyL #264275 10/02/14 11:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Willy
Re: What is a Chorus in BIAB

From the Help section:
'Important Note: We are using the term "chorus" as it is often used in Jazz music. A chorus therefore means "once through the entire form of the song." A typical length of a chorus is 32 bars. A song may have the form AABA where the A sections are verses and the B section is the Bridge. This entire form AABA is considered one chorus.'

Essentially it is the entire song, after the intro (if any), and before the ending tag (if any)

Repeats of the chorus can have different settings, e.g. in the screen capture, the song starts at bar 5 (after a 4 bar intro), plays two choruses from bar 5 to 34, on the last chorus, when it gets to bar 11 it jumps to a tag at bar 35, and ends the song at bar 54.

This is designed to give the most flexibility available.

Hope this clarification helps

Regards

Trevor

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2014-10-03_16-02-21.jpg (123.94 KB, 75 downloads)

WillyL #264347 10/03/14 04:20 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
What is a chorus in BIAB?

Quote:
Why have two different programs otherwise? I haven't quite figured out when to use BIAB and when to use RB.

The first thing you should like about using Realband is that it lays the whole song out in one linear piece. None of the 'chorus' stuff that is causing your confusion in BiaB.
For me the linear layout just seems to be easier to work with. I admit that is a big reason I prefer RB. From your post it seems you would like this also. Plus the additional tracks to work with .. lots of differences.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #264352 10/03/14 05:35 PM
S
Expert
Expert
S
How many folks even know there is "RealBand"
Everywhere over the net all you see and hear is "Band in a Box" that development priority goes in to.

Updates:
Now RB has still a lot of Bugs.

Realband
RealBand 2014 Build 7 (Feb 27-2014)

Band in a Box
Biab 2014 Build 381 (March 10, 2014)

Biab 2014 Build 383 (July 15, 2014)

Biab 2014 Build 384 (July 18, 2014)

Biab 2014 Build 385 (Sept 25, 2014)

WillyL #264354 10/03/14 05:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Willy, first I'll welcome you too and nobody dislikes noob's here as long as they're respectful.
Funny, I keep fighting the urge to add Free to your name...

Anyway,

Here's the deal, you're starting with the ACW and trying to to work with an existing classic song. The ACW is pretty cool and trust me there is nothing like it on the market that I know of. It works "fairly well". The key to the ACW is the simpler the song the better, the more complex the song the worse because we're dealing with an audio file here not midi.

If you had a midi file of Sultans the program would recognize everything about it from the chords to the melody to the voicings of all the instruments but that's midi. Audio is much more difficult to work with. You're asking a dumb computer to do what even you cannot do, use your ears to transcribe difficult music from a record. Not an easy task unless you're a graduate from a big name music school. When you think of it that way you begin to realize just how amazing the ACW is even with it's flaws.

This is not Biab's primary function just like printing charts or sheet music is not it's primary function either. Biab will do lots of interesting and useful things but still what is it's primary purpose? To make good generic backing tracks for you to play along with. That's what it's name means, Band. In. A. Box. As in you get a full band to practice with. It's not designed to create cover versions of classic songs or any of that. It can be made to do that but it's very tricky and that is for advanced power users, not noob's.

You can use loops, you can record some classic song licks yourself in the audio track, you can import parts of midi files of whatever song, you can edit a Biab generated midi part (but not a Real Track, that's audio vs midi again, remember that) and then freeze the track so it won't change when you regenerate the song. All of that is tricky and takes time.

Meanwhile the program is designed for you to simply pick a style and tempo, enter some chords, hit play and start jammin. That's what the program was built for. All the rest of it is icing for experienced users.

My suggestion is learn the basics first, get a handle on how the program works then start with the advanced stuff.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
AudioTrack #264378 10/03/14 10:40 PM
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Okay, I got it. I'm still not sure how the Song Form works with this chorus stuff, it seems to be a separate setting.

Willy.

rharv #264379 10/03/14 10:42 PM
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Okay, I'll play a bit more with RealBand.

jazzmammal #264381 10/03/14 10:50 PM
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Well, yes, I agree BIAB is mostly to have something to practice with and to make backing tracks.

But in principle, it has these other useful features. Printing out fake sheets is something I'd really like to do, so I can share them with the rest of our after-hours band at work. And making some sheets with the lyrics and where they are in the song would also be really nice. So that's why I tried to do exactly those things first (in addition to using it for practice).

Anyway, the main thing, providing a band to practice with and to make backing tracks BIAB handles quite excellently, I haven't seen any other software that does that as well. But I must say I am having a bit of trouble with just about everything else I've tried so far.

But I'll keep plugging away at it! :-)

Willy.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,100
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185