#265846 10/17/14 01:21 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Has anyone upgraded to Yosemite yet? Any issues with BIAB 2014?

Any info before I take the plunge would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

iMac Late 2015, Retina 5k, 27-Inch
macOS Monterey v12.4
Proc 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel CORE I7
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
Apprentice
Apprentice
i have not had any problems so far. Upgraded the MAC OS this morning and have been playing with BIAB most the day

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, we've tested BiaB Mac on Yosemite, and it works great. No issues.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
F
Expert
Expert
F
BUT, if you use a high-end audio interface, be careful. Universal Audio and Apogee have not certified Yosemite for most of their products. Check their websites for information.

Fred Grittner
2020 iMac, Ventura, Logic Pro
https://52tracksblog.com
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com
Expert
Expert
Just finished upgrading here, and everything seems to be working well !

However, as others have said make sure your audio and MIDI interfaces are good to go with Yosemite before upgrading.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but BIAB seems to launch a bit faster, and things feel overall a little but faster on Yosemite than they did on Mavericks.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: fgrittner
BUT, if you use a high-end audio interface, be careful. Universal Audio and Apogee have not certified Yosemite for most of their products. Check their websites for information.

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear that it's working.

I checked the Apogee site and my interface is compatible.

On a side note, I'm still on the fence about upgrading right now since my personal cloud (Synology DSCloud) where I store my .SGU & .MGU files (including version history) has inconsistent user problems (for some it works fine, for others it doesn't and for a few they got it to work by rolling back to a prior version of DS Cloud). I rely heavily on it so it's probably best to wait. Too bad since it sounds like Yosemite is better suited for BIAB performance wise.

Thanks again.

Marc

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

macOS Monterey v12.4
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
Veteran
Veteran
Zero problems on this end (not that I anticipated any). Other than BIAB we have no issues with Logic Pro X or Ozone.

M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Zero problems on this end (not that I anticipated any). Other than BIAB we have no issues with Logic Pro X or Ozone.

Thanks. Good to know that Logic Pro X has no issues too. I upgraded a few nights ago, but haven't opened Logic Pro X yet.

One issue that I may have uncovered with BIAB and Yosemite is that the space bar (pause/play) every so often doesn't function. At first I thought that I had unintentionally switched to another active program (command-tab or mouse clicked) so I made sure that BIAB was at the forefront (which it was). The only way I could start playing a song was by clicking the play button or the generate button on the toolbar. I then quit and reopened BIAB and the spacebar functioned properly. A little while later, it happened again (tap, press and hold the spacebar with no response). I reset the spacebar to "pause/play" in BIAB preferences and it works again until it stopped functioning for a second time. Over the past couple of nights it's happened 5 times.

On the positive side, BIAB is playing/sounding even better on Yosemite than previous OS X's. I'll take that benefit and live with the spacebar issue any day of the week.

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

macOS Monterey v12.4
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
The spacebar issue would be a deal breaker for me.
Playing live in jukebox mode the spacebar is essential.
Keep us informed if you find a solution.

M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: MGB
One issue that I may have uncovered with BIAB 2014 and Yosemite is that the space bar (pause/play) every so often doesn't function.

I've determined that this is an "application focus" issue in programmer's terms and is still occurring intermittently. It is not that the space bar isn't functioning, it's that OS X is no longer seeing BIAB for the Mac application as having primary focus (meaning that it's not seeing BIAB as being the forefront application) so that key commands aren't being relayed (as if BIAB is in the background).

My guess (having programmed in Cocoa for Mac apps) is that BIAB 2014 for Mac code calls an object function for pause/play that has been deprecated in Yosemite (or has a glitch that has yet to be resolved by Apple in Yosemite if the object call hasn't been deprecated).

Temporary fix if this happens to you:

COMMAND-TAB to BIAB app OR mouse click anywhere on BIAB window to restore focus.

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

macOS Monterey v12.4
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
MGB,
Thanks for the report. I'm running Yosemite, and so far can't duplicate the issue (spacebar is always working for me). Is there a way to reproduce it?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
It's intermittent for me and happens about 1-3 times a night. So far I haven't come up with a way to routinely reproduce it. It could be a combination of BIAB commands that causes it to lose focus or a deprecated Cocoa object function call (but that seems less likely since others haven't run across this yet).

There's also the possibility that it's another app in the background on my computer that's asserting focus without moving the app from the background to the forefront. I'm not using any apps that are hidden, but that doesn't mean visible background apps aren't asserting focus. Typically apps that assert focus move to the forefront, but that's also not always the case.

Since it's not yet reproduceable, it's just a good idea to be aware of this so that, if another user runs into this problem, they'll know the simple solution is to click anywhere within the BIAB window (preferably NOT an actionable area such as a button) to regain focus so that the space bar functionality is available again.

If I'm able to determine a way to reproduce this problem or the cause if it's another app, I'll post it for you.

Best regards,

Marc

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

macOS Monterey v12.4
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks Marc. When it happens does the top menu change from BIAB to something else too?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Hey Marc and Peter,
Although I have not noticed a problem with BIAB in particular, there does seem to be something a little "funky" with Yosemite's handling of "front window" focus (at least on my machine).
I'm not sure if this is related or not, but here is what I have experienced since upgrading to Yosemite…

Very intermittently (once a week or so), I have noticed problems with input from the keyboard not being recognized in certain applications (It's happened to me in TextEdit and Mail among others).
I will be typing away and notice that my text is not being entered, even though the window is highlighted, and the application menubar is the frontmost application.

I have to click on the window again, and even though there is no visual change in appearance to the window highlight , that window once again accepts the keyboard input.

This not only happens with application windows for me, but also on the Yosemite login screen itself.
Normally when the OS X login screen appears, I can type the first letter of my account name "J" and the icon for my account will be highlighted, then I can keep typing to enter to my password.
However about once in 10 or 12 reboots, I can type all I want and nothing is recognized, until I click on the background of the login screen, then the keyboard input is recognized.

I was in on the Yosemite beta test program, and did file a bug report about the intermittent loss of focus on the login screen.
I got a response from Apple, that someone had already reported this bug and it was being investigated, but it's still happening here intermittently in 10.0.2 over a year and a half later.
I have tried a clean install of Yosemite and this still persists.

As I said it seems to be HIGHLY intermittent (on my system at least), so it's been really hard to nail down and since it's not a major pain in the butt to click once more, I've been living with it.

Marc, you described it exactly!
It's as if some background process steals the focus momentarily, and then is unable to cleanly restore focus to the frontmost application window when it goes back into the background.

Sorry for such a longwinded response, but your problem seems like it might be related to what I've been experiencing, even though I haven't had it happen here with BIAB yet.

I'd be curious to hear if other folks have noticed anything similar since upgrading to Yosemite.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Thanks Jay! At times I still question myself: "Did I inadvertently bump the mouse?" It's happened so many times that I finally decided it was a glitch. Good to know I'm not hallucinating. crazy

Marc

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

macOS Monterey v12.4
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hi Peter. It's happened enough times to me over the past months that I can definitely say the BIAB top menu bar remains the same. What's so perplexing is that it is losing focus, but focus is not being asserted by either the Finder or another app.

From the info that Jay brought to the table, it's an OS X Yosemite glitch that hopefully will be resolved in an OS update. But at least it's a liveable glitch once you're aware of how to quickly resolve it.

Marc

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

macOS Monterey v12.4
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
Expert
Expert
Well, it seems like the 10.10.3 update may have taken care of the issues I was having with intermittent loss of front window focus.

It's been about a week, and I haven't noticed the issue here on my machine any more.

Marc, I was curious if you are still having issues there on your machine.

- Jay

M
MGB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: JayO
Well, it seems like the 10.10.3 update may have taken care of the issues I was having with intermittent loss of front window focus.

It's been about a week, and I haven't noticed the issue here on my machine any more.

Marc, I was curious if you are still having issues there on your machine.

- Jay

Thanks Jay!

I hadn't upgraded yet. I usually wait a few weeks to avoid update bug issues. I'll update and let you know in about a week.

Marc

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

macOS Monterey v12.4
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199