Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
I always thought it was A/440 Hz. Of course, it may be different for a trombone, but it's always worked for me. grin

Well, by convention A IS currently 440HZ, but what is, say, C?

If you use even temperament then C is 261.63Hz if A is 440HZ, BUT, if you are using some form of JUST temperament then the frequency relationship of C to A is dependent on what KEY you're in.

This is an interesting, relevant and short read:
http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html

According to a table from the link above, in the key of C, C is 261.63HZ, Equal temperament A is 440HZ BUT just Temperament A is 436.05 - this is actually a significant difference.

It is also worth noting that in equal temperament a diminished 5th is the same as an augmented 4th (in the C scale that would be Gb vs F#), BUT in a just temperament, they are DIFFERENT

There are also a couple of links to sound bytes which are quite revealing.

So I ask again, "What is "in tune"?"

Actually, maybe what I should really ask is can you see how "in tune" for one person may not be for another?

At this point I'd like to extend the expression of my antipathy to autotune: not only do I think it's a technological cheat, but I think it is a "dumbing down" of our musical sophistication, creating a "lowest common denominator" situation.

<edit> fixed link above

Last edited by Lawrie; 10/19/14 04:51 AM.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
At this point I'd like to extend the expression of my antipathy to autotune: not only do I think it's a technological cheat, but I think it is a "dumbing down" of our musical sophistication, creating a "lowest common denominator" situation.

Great point Lawrie. Actually the whole comment on tuning was enlightening.

The degree to which AT or Melodyne is accepted depends a whole lot on the genre of the music and, as you say, the level of "musical sophistication" of the fan base.

If a classical singer were to use AT you'd immediately have a pretty severe backlash and no doubt the term "fraud" would pop up.

The same would be true for a bluegrass performer because the fans expect and even demand a high degree of proficiency from their top performers, although they're a little more forgiving of vocal shortcomings than the opera fans. They would rather hear a few off key notes than find out someone was "cheating" in order to sound better. Musical integrity is more important than the finished product.

I don't keep up with the jazz scene, but I'd expect them to also be pretty demanding.

The Pop music scene as a whole is another animal entirely. The musical sophistication of the fan base is a 0 on a scale from 1-10. They couldn't possibly care less about how much actual talent the performers have or how it's accomplished. All they care about is what comes out of their speakers and how the performer looks on stage or in the videos.

When it comes down to amateur or semi professional musicians or vocalists like those of us on the forum, each of us should feel free to use whatever we want that makes us feel good about our recordings.

I personally demand more from professionals who are vying for my music dollars, and even though I'm a mediocre singer, I wouldn't use AT to make my vocals sound better than they actually are.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
even though I'm a mediocre singer, I wouldn't use AT to make my vocals sound better than they actually are.

just curious if you also eschew EQ and de-essers? or anything else an engineer might typically use to improve a vocal track? would double-tracking a vocal also be "cheating"?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
even though I'm a mediocre singer, I wouldn't use AT to make my vocals sound better than they actually are.

just curious if you also eschew EQ and de-essers? or anything else an engineer might typically use to improve a vocal track? would double-tracking a vocal also be "cheating"?

I'd say: "That depends." Mankind always lived in a world where people sought to enhance deficiencies. The electric piano weighs less than a real one, an electric guitar can compete with horns while a classical guitar remains unheard in the sound carpet of a big band. Any weapon was created to enhance the strength of the user in a certain field of performance.

I use EQ at my most of performances to lower the volume of certain frequencies of the backing track that compete with my voice for the same space. In this case I call square dances and the dancers need to comprehend what I call to be able to dance that call.

If I'd use EQ to make my voice more pleasant, I probably would cheat, because at a campfire situation without any electronic help, it would stick out like said sore thumb.

De-Essers (and EQ) are often used to correct recording mistakes or deficencies of equipment. This is not cheating. If your voice is that way that sibilants are a lot louder than the rest, it is cheating.

For me cheating is something you do to hide inabilities. Everybody knows that recordings are usually not done in echo-prone mountain valleys, so echo is an effect that cheats and everybody knows. (There are recordings with echo that musicians were able to copy, just to find out that on the recording there was an echo machine employed. They felt cheated.) Artificial reverberation wets the tone, it is done in studios and live to simulate a certain room condition that creates exactly the sound I want.

In (almost) any case techology that eliminates the technical flaws of employed equipment and room characteristics is not cheating. Any technology that impresses the uninformed public with features that cannot reproduced without the technology (by that person!) is, imho, in the same category of cheating like Bob Norton's example of using performance enhancement drugs.

If I can sing and hit all the notes of a song when doing it live, but my voice experiences a mood swing in the studio AT is not cheating. It is a time and money saver. If I happen to play one note sharp or flat at a recording session, I could just record that part again and splice it into the recording -- or I could use Melodyne. Cheating is, if I play all the notes of a song and then create the Flight of the Bumble Bee with my DAW.

For me: If I can do it without the technology using technology in certain situations is not cheating. If "I" can't reproduce it (but somebody else could) without using technological performance enhancement features it is cheating.

Last edited by GHinCH; 10/19/14 02:13 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think it's time for me to agree with those who disagree with me.

My stubborn opinion is that if you need auto-tune to get your vocals on pitch, you are not a singer. You could be a fabulous songwriter, an exciting performer, and/or a great dancer --- but part of being a singer to me is to be able to sing on pitch.

I worked very hard for years to get enough control to sing on pitch. I'm not a gifted, natural singer. I can manipulate the pitch on my sax easily, on pitch or intentionally off pitch by the degree I want (for expressive purposes). I sat first sax in the all-state band every year that I was in school. But the control of my voice took years of practice and training.

In today's market, we would have been robbed out of all the delights that Aretha Franklin gave us because she is overweight. Martha Wash proved that. And Aretha was on top of the pop charts so the pop music argument is lame. If there is another great singer out there without first class T and A, we won't get to hear her.

And that's sad.

I have nothing else to add to this conversation.

So as I said before, I just will have to agree with those who disagree.

Peace.

Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 10/19/14 06:16 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
In today's market, we would have been robbed out of all the delights that Aretha Franklin gave us because she is overweight. Martha Wash proved that. And Aretha was on top of the pop charts so the pop music argument is lame. If there is another great singer out there without first class T and A, we won't get to hear her.

And that's sad.

Notes

Yes.

Guido

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
“My stubborn opinion is that if you need auto-tune to get your vocals on pitch, you are not a singer. You could be a fabulous songwriter, an exciting performer, and/or a great dancer --- but part of being a singer to me is to be able to sing on pitch.”

You are not trying to sell music in a highly competitive market where 99% of your competition is using AT. The bar for live vocals is much lower.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
to me, labeling someone's use of technology as "cheating" reeks of elitism. and to criticize successful artists because they "cheat" according to your definition of the word? well, that sounds like a big ol' bowl of sour grapes to me!

as I have said before, do whatever you want with your music and your performance. if you enjoy it then it is all good! and if you find a market that also loves it then that is even better! like so much in life you simply cannot listen to the elitists, purists, haters, etc. when trying to decide your direction!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi John,
to me, labeling someone's use of technology as "cheating" reeks of elitism. <snip>

As stated, I don't sing, I play trombone, BUT I'll happily accept the title of "elitist" if that attitude will improve my trombone playing.

I want to be the best I can be, not the best some technology can pretend I am.

And I still ask the question: "What is in tune?" In fairness, if ALL the instruments you are using in your work are equal tempered, then that is the temperament you should be in tune to, but that isn't always the case.

When you start using unfretted strings and wind instruments (whose players can easily bend notes - and you can't bend a guitar string flat) you open up a whole new universe.

Even if the only one is an upright bass or fretless bass guitar - you immediately have a whole new (or is that old) world to play in.

Oh, and here is an observation that might have relevance - It seems to me that musicians who play unfretted instruments NATURALLY play just temperament, it's actually an effort to play even temperament and you have to listen very carefully to the fretted instruments (inc. piano/kbd etc) to do so.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Lawrie
Hi John,

When you start using unfretted strings and wind instruments (whose players can easily bend notes - and you can't bend a guitar string flat) you open up a whole new universe.

I do agree with your but I must comment on this. You can in fact bend a guitar string flat with a whammy bar, i.e. a vibrato bar. That is of course assuming you have a whammy bar on your guitar.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi again John,

<snip>

as I have said before, do whatever you want with your music and your performance. if you enjoy it then it is all good! and if you find a market that also loves it then that is even better! like so much in life you simply cannot listen to the elitists, purists, haters, etc. when trying to decide your direction!

After I posted the above I reread your posting and realised that the bit quoted above is an almost perfect description of the difference between:
Music, the artform, and
Music, the business.

To me, and this is very much IMHO, the use of technology to get "perfection" in order to create sales is all about business and not art. Mediocre as I may, or may not, be; I much prefer art to business.

I have read laments elsewhere on this forum relating to the good 'ol 3 or 4 chord wonder and how the recording companies are forcing this simplicity, as well as dictating style, and thereby educating the public's listening pallette in order to reduce production costs and sell more tracks...

It seems to me that Jazz has fallen into disfavour with the majority of the listening public because they have had their musical pallette trained to the point where interesting chords like 11ths and 13ths or half and full diminished's sound "wrong"

The listening public has had their musical sophistication deliberately "dumbed down" by the recording companies. I think this is a very sad thing - if it keeps up, we'll all be listening to monotonal chants again - anyone mention Gregorian?

AND THEN we come to dynamic range... WHY, when a CD has a dynamic range well in excess of (depending on whose article you read) 90dB do we consistently get recordings using a range of, what, 6 to 10dB? Way less than vinyl anyhow (same article = 55 to 65dB).

Quote:
In music, dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest volume of an instrument, part or piece of music. In modern recording, this range is often limited through audio level compression, which allows for louder volume, but can make the recording sound less exciting or live.[30] Popular music typically has a dynamic range of 6 to 10 dB, with some forms of music having as little as 1 dB or as much as 15 dB.

WOW, as much as 15dB!!!

Check these two interesting articles:
http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm
http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

I play in a few different live contexts, concert bands, jazz big bands, jazz small groups and theatre orchestra's and I can tell you that it gets harder and harder to get a sound engineer who understands dynamic range. Typically they turn up the drums, bass and guitar to "11" and walk away - AND YOU CAN'T TRAIN THE BA$%@#^&$'s frown
I will tell you this, any time I have influence I won't even allow the kit to be miked! It is plenty loud enough accoustically for most venues I play in.

Let's come back on topic - Autotune to improve sales, loudness wars to improve sales - THEY are both about business, NOT art - I prefer my music to be artistic thank you very much.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Art is anything you can get away with."

Marshall McLuhan

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I do agree with your but I must comment on this. You can in fact bend a guitar string flat with a whammy bar, i.e. a vibrato bar. That is of course assuming you have a whammy bar on your guitar.

Thanks Mario, and as you can tell, I'm not a guitarist wink

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Art is anything you can get away with."

Marshall McLuhan

Made me smile, but then, is that the artist or the businessman talking..? <evil grin>

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Let's come back on topic - Autotune to improve sales, loudness wars to improve sales - THEY are both about business, NOT art - I prefer my music to be artistic thank you very much.

if ya wanna divide music into art and business we probably agree that on the business side you have to do whatever you have to do if you are hoping for a shot at the gold ring!

but, art is even way, way more slippery. you will not find any sort of consensus at all on "what is art?".

so I would say, again, whether you are doing it for business or art, do whatever you like!

if you want a top 10 hit then you better get comfortable with AT (and BTW, hate to pop your bubble but you almost certainly are NOT going to see even a top 1000 hit regardless! and to be clear, I am talking to the universal "you"!)

on the art side ya just gotta know what is expected. plenty of art judges are looking for perfect pitch and if you are competing in that arena ya better have it! there are also lost of artistic challenges where it is about the whole performance and less about perfect anything.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
It seems to me that Jazz has fallen into disfavour with the majority of the listening public because they have had their musical pallette trained to the point where interesting chords like 11ths and 13ths or half and full diminished's sound "wrong"

The listening public has had their musical sophistication deliberately "dumbed down" by the recording companies. I think this is a very sad thing

maybe the public got tired of jazz because it is kinda boring? nah, just kidding but I personally do not enjoy it at all. I would not leave a store if I heard it but I'd pass the jazz bar to find some rock'n'roll or bluegrass any day!

I think it may be wrong to blame record companies. They put something out there and watch the sales. If they go up...record company produces more of that. If they go down...record company tried something else! I betcha if someone really tried they could add some jazz to some more contemporary music and bring it back...maybe we could get Mumford & Sons to lay off the banjo for awhile and pick up the trombone? laugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I'll answer your questions in order. No. No. No.

I'm not anti music technology; I'm anti auto tune. But if someone else wants to use AT, they should use it. AT is here to stay whether folks like me and a few others on the forum approve of it or not.

I just think it's a good idea to point out that if vocalists put in the time and effort to practice vocal drills, exercises and sing diatonic scales, chords and arpeggios on a daily basis, they can significantly improve their range, pitch control and vocal quality; maybe even to the point of not needing AT.

It's better than telling vocalists not to sweat it because AT will fix it in the mix. It's also okay to let them know that at least some people think they're shortchanging other vocalists who have put in the time and effort to improve their vocals every time they rely on AT instead of a solid performance based on unrelenting drills and practice.

Someday, probably in the near future, someone will invent a program called Auto Solo or something similar. It will take an instrumentalists out of key, out of time lackluster solo and turn it into a well played, tasteful and creative solo.

I'll be against that too.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
<snip>
but, art is even way, way more slippery. you will not find any sort of consensus at all on "what is art?".
No argument there smile
<snip>
if you want a top 10 hit then you better get comfortable with AT (and BTW, hate to pop your bubble but you almost certainly are NOT going to see even a top 1000 hit regardless! and to be clear, I am talking to the universal "you"!)
Naahh, but then, I don't expect to even be in the top 1,000,000 smile
on the art side ya just gotta know what is expected. plenty of art judges are looking for perfect pitch and if you are competing in that arena ya better have it! there are also lost of artistic challenges where it is about the whole performance and less about perfect anything.
I think it's reasonable for a "judge" to expect a singer to be on key, but I think that it's reasonable for the same judge to expect that on key singing to be done without electronic modification of pitch.
maybe the public got tired of jazz because it is kinda boring?
Reasonable, I don't like all the kinds of music that is labelled as "Jazz" either, and Jazz is my preferred genre.
I think it may be wrong to blame record companies. They put something out there and watch the sales. If they go up...record company produces more of that. If they go down...record company tried something else! I betcha if someone really tried they could add some jazz to some more contemporary music and bring it back...maybe we could get Mumford & Sons to lay off the banjo for awhile and pick up the trombone? laugh
I'm happy enough to be proven wrong, but I sincerely think that the record companies do indeed dictate tastes by "training" the listening public.

Oh yeah, like the cowbell, there's never enough Trombone laugh laugh laugh

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
That is of course assuming you have a whammy bar on your guitar.

Tommy Emmanuel doesn't even need that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk

Just go to 3:15 and watch for 6 or 7 seconds. cool

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
Tommy Emmanuel doesn't even need that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk

Just go to 3:15 and watch for 6 or 7 seconds. cool

Nice, but a bit cumbersome when compared to a wind player who can do it with their mouth and not even have to think about it... laugh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195