Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
I will tell you if there is 105 dB real SPL at your ear, you will not hear a person next to you well enough unless you are shouting.

I agree because that's exactly what happened when I was talking to some guys in the back of the room. We still had to put our heads together and raise our voices to talk. I chalk that up to marketing but overall though I can't wait to get mine.

Bob

Bob is standing on his front porch, waiting for that brown truck. grin

"Did you hear that? Was that a truck??? "Did it sound like a UPS truck? grin

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
UPS trucks do have a very distinctive engine sound quality. Whenever I've got something on order that I'm anxiously awaiting, the sound does have a Pavlovian effect on me!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, I got it. Now that tax season is finally over I called Aspen this afternoon because he said I could meet him at his studio and try one out with my Hammond SK1. He said he had a session scheduled for 7 this evening to do a new demo with better quality piano sounds and said if I can make it early I might be part of the video so I showed up and played for about 45 minutes or so.

I don't want to gush too much but this amp is the bomb. It's the best sound I've ever had from one amp, period. Everybody there said my SK1 sounded great and it really did and now I'm in the video, don't know if I'll get 30 seconds or 5 minutes. You know how when you get lucky and have a really good sound you get inspired to play? That's what happened. I also played the SK1 piano, rhodes and clav through it and they all sounded really good.

As for volume, when I grabbed all the drawbars, hit the leslie button and did some smears to a high chord, that thing was screaming. The next thing is I have a bar gig next Friday, 4 piece with a girl singer. I think it's going to sound great by itself but I'll have my EV112P PA speaker in case I need more juice but that Spacestation by itself has some balls to it.

I needed to clear out for Al who's a solid pianist who was the real reason for this session. He played the new Casio P5S piano and his Nord Stage that sounded really good too. While he was warming up I walked behind him and behind the amp next to the drums and it sounded just great. Everything was very full and clean, not muddy when you go behind any regular amp or PA speaker.

Nothing else I can say, I like this amp.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good for you! Wish I could come and hear you play, but I'm 2,428 miles away.
Knock em dead!

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob. Does the SS have socket so it can be placed on a speaker stand? Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 10/18/14 07:36 AM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No, you would have to install a pole mount yourself. Aspen has posted on the KC forum about that along with why it only has one pair of stereo inputs. If you use two keyboards for example you need a mixer but lots of folks doing singles or duo's use a mixer anyway because of the vocals.

Yesterday I was able to get mine out of the car and set up in my living room. It sounded just as good as the one in the studio. Not just the organ but the AP sounds too. Very clean, crisp and full range.

I know I'm sounding like I just went to work for Aspen, trust me I haven't. No endorsements or anything like that other than he's said I'll be in the next demo vid because lots of guys want to know how a SK1 sounds through it.

We keyboard players are famous for searching for that perfect stage sound because keys are so hard to get right especially the acoustic grand sound. I've got 2 Eon's, 4 EV's, two Barbetta's and my old huge JBL rig with a separate horn sitting on a big, heavy 15" K145 speaker cab powered by a heavy 400W Peavey boat anchor power amp. That one is my make your ears bleed festival rig that I haven't used in years. They all sound more or less good but to get stereo for the organ leslie or all the cool sweeping Rhodes or Wurlie effects you really need two speakers on stage so I've tried all kinds of ways to get that. Oh yeah, I also have a pair of Berhringer 8" monitors for smaller stages.

This amp is the holy grail for me. The stereo effect is real and strong (as long as you're using a good stereo patch in the keyboard) and the overall sound quality is right up there with the best I've heard. And, it's surprisingly powerful.

This is from my personal pov as a keyboard player. I don't sing so this is just for my keys. But, after seeing it in action at the amp show three weeks ago it's a helluva PA amp too.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"No, you would have to install a pole mount yourself."

You could try one of these:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPEB9760

I installed one on a much lighter amp (works great), but it might work on the Spacestation if you can through-bolt it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's a technical tidbit for you guys. I've been inspecting this thing closely and here's what it has.

The top half is the 8" woofer with a small horn in the upper corner. The bottom half is the 6.5" Emminence. I thought there were two 6.5's but no, there's just one mounted perpendicular to the woofer right in the middle of the box. The cabinet is completely open to the sides on the bottom half so the front and back of the Emminence is firing directly sideways and there's little triangular cutouts behind the front grill too so some of that stereo sound is firing to the front.

I hear clear and obvious stereo coming from that speaker so it's like you said, somehow he's taking both the L and R signal and getting that one speaker to shoot the L and R in two different directions. So the tri-amping he talks about is between the woofer, the horn and the 6.5" sideways one.

It's also very solid, well built and weighs 39 pounds.

Here's something I saw in the studio, he has two big versions of this along the wall. One was really big, about 4 1/2 feet tall with what looks like a 15 facing front and two 12's mounted on the bottom facing each other. I mean directly bolted together, no space between them mounted sideways. I can just imagine what that sounds like on a big stage with a lot of power driving it.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Here's something I saw in the studio, he has two big versions of this along the wall. One was really big, about 4 1/2 feet tall with what looks like a 15 facing front and two 12's mounted on the bottom facing each other. I mean directly bolted together, no space between them mounted sideways. I can just imagine what that sounds like on a big stage with a lot of power driving it."

Say, Bob.....

What was the address of that studio, and is there anyone there after dark?

ROAD TRIP!!!!! grin

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob, the way that this works is not one speaker shooting stereo. The top and bottom speakers are doing Mid/Side type projection, rather than Mid/Side recording like you do with a figure 8 mic and a cardioid mic.

The bottom speaker, because both sides are exposed, radiates sound like a figure 8 mic records sound. When coupling this with the front projection of the common mono signal that is common, it creates the L & R signals out in the listening space. If you switch off one of the speakers, you'll hear the stereo effect fold down to mono.

It's a brilliant idea, actually. Send me a PM to let me know how much you paid.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
The bottom speaker, because both sides are exposed, radiates sound like a figure 8 mic records sound. When coupling this with the front projection of the common mono signal that is common, it creates the L & R signals out in the listening space. If you switch off one of the speakers, you'll hear the stereo effect fold down to mono.

Wow, I know you're an engineer so I believe you but that really does sound like sonic voodoo. So the stereo is not coming from the bottom speaker? That's just so counterintuitive.

Sweetwater is the only authorized distributor but Aspen can sell them direct as well which is how I got mine. The price was $599.

Bob, I was sorely tempted to take some pic's of the studio especially that big unit but I was a guest and didn't think that would be too cool but he's got some interesting stuff in there.

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob, have you ever investigated how Mid/Side stereo recordings work? Two mics are used, but not usde as a left mic and a right mic. Here's an article: http://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/

Think of the way this amp works in reverse - playing out sound instead of recording it.

The unbaffled speaker at the bottom of the cabinet pushes sound one direction while the other side of the speaker is simultaneously 'pulling' sound. In the article above, this is like the figure 8 mic, with the out-of-phase switch enabled on the copy of that signal. With the bottom speaker, that 'phase reversal' happens naturally because the back side is exposed to the air. The speaker on the top is playing what is common to both but the back side of that speaker is enclosed in a cabinet so the 'pull' on the back side is not effectively creating sound out in the room. It's like the analog of the carioid mic that is on top. On a Mid/Side recording - you can widen and narrow the effect by the relative balance of the mid mid, versus the magnitude of the two channels of the 'Side' recording.

I've only done this a few times, when I had a Cascade FatHead ribbon mic. I tried it with acoustic guitar recordings, but found that a good-old two-mic spaced recording gave me a much easier setup (It's hard to get that M/S setup without a bunch of precise placement of mics - and both mics I tried it with had shockmounts - which makes it a little difficult to get the two capsules close - and the effect wasn't all that great on acoustic). I have since sold the Cascade - it needed a cleaner preamp than what I had available at the time.

It's not voodoo - it is a bit surprising nobody has tried this before now to be honest. It makes perfect sense as the 'playback' version of Mid-Side recording.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All right, that makes sense. In his studio Aspen uses two mics, the lower one appears to have two sides that come together vertically. That's the bottom one and a small circular mic is mounted right on top of the two sided one. This rig is pointed right at the SS amp about 12 feet back.

As far as nobody else doing it Aspen says it's because he holds the patent on it. He brought in dinner for everybody during a break and we talked about this. It goes back to his Groove Tube days, when he sold the company to Fender the only thing he kept was the patent for CPS. He said Fender wanted it but he refused to give it up. This new one is V.3 he produced two earlier ones years ago under the GT name. He's not a young guy, it's possible he may be the originator of this concept.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"He's not a young guy, it's possible he may be the originator of this concept."

Mid-side has been around for a long time. From the article Scott cited:

"Mid-Side microphone recording is hardly a new concept. It was devised by EMI engineer Alan Blumlein, an early pioneer of stereophonic and surround sound. Blumlein patented the technique in 1933 and used it on some of the earliest stereophonic recordings."

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
After Bob's review along with other reviews and checking out the videos, I've ordered the SS V.3 and the SKB case. Delivery will be sometime in Nov. Later, Ray

I might pick up this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISOL8R200Sub

Last edited by raymb1; 10/22/14 09:57 AM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, didn't notice until now, over a thousand views. There's more interest in this amp than I thought. The unit is starting to get delivered to people on the KC forum and a few reports are coming it. Everybody just loves it as much as I do.

Unless your ears are really weird Ray, so will you. Seriously, this thing is a game changer. And again, it's a game changer as a PA amp too. It really fills the room with vocals, guitar stereo effects, all that stuff.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just saw your video at Aspen's studio on Kybrd Corner. Good sounds. Can't wait to get my SS. Are you going to post your video on PG? Later, Ray

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
That's actually a pretty decent price.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's the vids that were produced when I was at Aspens studio last week. Two with Al and the one with me. It's definitely funny seeing myself like that. I've heard myself on recordings lots of times but this is the first good quality video. Kinda strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL9-51bIWNw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNKZbPNKxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQA0XE5yuc&feature=youtu.be

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I did my first gig with it last night in a bar that holds 140 people, we had maybe 100 more or less. It's pretty loud in there. Small stage, 5 piece with a girl singer. This is the place I was worried about concerning the power output of the Spacestation. I'm jammed right next to the drummer with my back against the wall so any amp I use is beside me so everything sounds muffled to me but I've been told I sound good out front. I've been using an EV ELX112P which they rate as 600W. I think that's too high, it's probably around half that continuous power but it's still a powerful powered PA speaker anyway. The SS is about two thirds that size with an 8" woofer while the EV is a 12 with a big horn.

All I can say is WOW! I had the EV in the car in case the SS wasn't loud enough but it has plenty of power. I agreed with your earlier assesment 90DB about how can such a small woofer put out like that. I don't know but this thing rocked the house. We had a guitar player who's too loud, a drummer who really gets into it, a jammin bass player, a sax player, a girl singer and me with a double rack keys rig. For the first time EVER I heard myself clearly in stereo from one little amp jammed up right between me and the drummer. On the first break the bass player said it's the first time he could hear me like that and the drummer was even more enthusiastic, he pointed down to the amp and said he simply could not believe how much sound that little thing put out. Even though it makes no sense, Aspen is right when he said the stereo 300 degree dispersion carries the sound so well you don't need nearly as much power in order to be heard. That effect that Scott described really makes a huge difference. There's now several more guys on the other forum including a Hammond fanatic in Germany saying the same thing. This thing kicks serious [*****].

And to top it off, I wasn't pushing it. The organ and pianos were crystal clear, no distortion at all. I'm sure there was more power left. I had the master volume set at about 1 o'clock.

I don't know what else to say, every keyboard player in the world needs one of these and don't forget what I said earlier, this is a great PA amp too.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,646
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193