Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
All,
once generated all the backing tracks with BiaB, I'm ready to import each one in the Daw (FL Studio, or RealBand, depending on the song and on the mood :-).

Now come the fun part 2. There is a lot to do in order to refine and personalize each single track.

For example, I would like some drum solo here and there. How to obtain this in RB ?

How do you usually apport such modifications to the drum part ?

One approach I could imagine, is to let RB to generate some drum fills on another track, then 'cut' only the fills and paste it together at the right place, so that they are in sync with the track that needs a drum solo.
The new material (the fills) should obviously override the one of the targeted track.

While I find this a possible method, I think it's tedious and needs a try-and-error approach that could be painful. And it's obviously not guaranteed, that consecutive drum fills sound like a drum solo..

Another possible way would be the use of pre-made (midi or audio) drum solo/fills which are usually available in the Daw itself. But the drum kit used should sound the same of the BiaB drum track, which could not really be an easy task to accomplish.

Would you like to share some experience about your workflow ? How would you for example insert a drum solo in the BiaB drum track ? And more in general, which changes do you usually apply to the backing tracks (if any.. they are already perfect.. 8-) ?

Best regards,
Sergio

Veteran
Veteran
Obviously every song or project is different. Every person has different available resources and experience levels so you will receive vastly different responses. Here's how I would approach your drum tracks question.

I would begin by trying to use midi drums instead of RealDrums. Using midi drums I can keep consistent drum instruments (sounds) no matter the source of the midi drum patterns. Also, midi drum patterns and instruments are more tolorant to tempo changes so that a midi pattern with an original tempo of 65 bpm may sound okay in a song with a 130 bpm tempo.

If the original style used RealDrums there is a setting to force midi drums or you wait until you import into RealBand to mute the RealDrums then select a style with midi drums. This provides the foundation for the drum track. Usually a drum solo is fairly short so, if meshing fills together doesn't work, it wouldn't take too long to use the drum editor to create a solo. You could find some midi drum solos on the internet.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
So here is one way to do it with just the BIAB drum real tracks. It takes some work and a lot of time but if you don't move the position of the tracks the timing part shouldn't be an issue.

In BIAB first pick what drum real track you want to use for the initial style. Generate the track and render the WAV file and drag to the first track of your DAW of choice. This is your base guide track. Go back into BIAB and repeat the step but each time before you regenerate add markers at various points to get the different fills to generate. Also switch out to a similar real drum track just to get some variance in the fills. The idea behind this is to end up with a dozen or so (yes it sometimes takes that many) individual WAV tracks in your DAW that have as many variances as you can generate including other styles.

It is time consuming but once your in the DAW your creativity is the only limit. Start at the bars in the song you want the solo at. Audition the tracks one at a time at first then start auditioning another or several at the same time. You will start to get a picture of how you want the solo to flow. Then its a matter of splitting the sections and pasting into the base track.

If your DAW has a snap to grid feature you should be able to slice, dice and splice with out to many timing issues. If you have a nudge feature you can nudge the clips just a bit forward or back to try and humanize the sequence a bit more. You can pull bits and pieces from anywhere in the rendered tracks in fact if the solo is nestled as a bridge don't be afraid to try a fill that was generated in a verse.

You wont get a Neil Pert or John Bonhamm drum solo but you can create some really nice 8 and 16 bar solos and its completely your creation. There is some satisfaction in that and makes the effort worth it in my opinion. I do the same with the guitar soloists. The only draw back is that if you want to use it BIAB you will have to import it into the audio track. I've never tried that so I don't know what issues would result from that. Also if you use several real track styles there may be some sonic sound differences.

One other trick that works occasionally is to build 2 main drum tracks and overlay the fills or the move them a half beat. You can get some really busy solos that sound like roto toms and double kick drums. Careful its easy to go too far and then it just gets messy.

Again this is just one way. This one works for me but some others may have a different way.

Veteran
Veteran
Yet another ..
At the end of many Realdrum tracks (the actual original WMA file) you'll often find samples of each drum hit.

They usually include the basic kit single hits, but you gotta look for them in the raw tracks. Then edit/save them as 'samples'.

Using these you can can create whatever drum part you want by utilizing a sample playback plugin like DR-005/DR-008 or similar.

Like other suggestions this takes a little effort but once figured out your possibilities become endless.

I've suggested more than once that PGMusic include a sample playback plugin for just such purpose.

Last edited by rharv; 10/23/14 09:11 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the interesting ideas so far, I would like to try each of them.

The method with midi - suggested by JimFogle - makes me skeptical because of the quality of the sounds (midi drum compared with Realdrum !), but I guess that with a good drum kit the results are not bad.
On the other side, the enormous advantage of a complete control over each beat and instrument is unvaluable.
I think it's only a matter of finding a good sounding midi drum kit to overcome the first step that scares me a bit.

The second approach - from Jeff S - is very interesting because the various fills - the little bricks of the solo - would be generated from BiaB/RB, which is a guarantee of good sound quality, and would be performed by a real drummer. It takes some patient indeed, expecially by cutting, pasting, slicing ant so on, but the result could be a killer drum solo.

The third one - rharv - is also very appealing, the only difficult here is that I should self create the drum solo, or find a good midi solo groove to be used in the drum kit of the sampler.
The advantage here is that such drum 'kit' contains the same drum samples of the Realdrum, hence it should merge perfectly in the drum track.
Perhaps the process to prepare such a drum kit with the right sampler would take quite the whole time; more, in the midi solo groove, each single note should match the right instrument in the kit.

Three different approaches, a whole field of opportunities :-)

Quote:
I've suggested more than once that PGMusic include a sample playback plugin for just such purpose.

Indeed would be really useful. Furthermore, would be nice to have each 'note' of the realdrum on a piano roll editing view, where each note triggers the relative percussion instrument and can be edited/moved/added like midi notes.
I know there are the RealMidi for that purpose, anyway would be nice to have a total control on the Realdrum performance of any Realtrack.

Veteran
Veteran
I never use the RealDrums in BIAB for a number of reasons:
(1) I can't tweak and control them.
(2) I don't like some of the kit sounds.
(3) Pushes are not very good at all.
(4) I want full control so I can put in fills and lots of other things I think drummers would do in the piece.

I use XLN's Addictive Drums which have amazing samples sounds, different kits, and MIDI patterns and fills which I can tweak easily.

When I've got the tracks I need in BIAB (mainly RealTracks nowadays) I drag them into Sonar X3. I then add a MIDI drum track with Addictive Drums and all the tracks lock together nicely. I start with a bread and butter beat and then as I listen I add the fills, end of section crashes, punctuations, etc. that a drummer would put in. Years of playing in bands helps me to know what sort of things are needed. As I work on the project I always do a lot of tweaking to the drums; they're an extremely important element of pop/rock, etc.

John

Last edited by Skyline; 10/24/14 09:26 AM. Reason: Clarification

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Veteran
Veteran
The quality of the sounds of midi drums..... you must be using the default GM wave synth drum sounds. Yeah, they sound really bad and mostly fake.

Real drums in RB or BB is a really nice, quick, acceptable, halfway decent sounding drum track, but.... as you know, it's not all that easy to edit it or to control a certain part of the kit. If the snare is too loud or not loud enough, or the cymbals.... you can try to fix that with EQ, which sometimes works but there are other times where the track is useless if you're looking for a certain something from it and it simply can't deliver.

There are some drum synths, quite a few actually, that hands down, flat out beat real drums quality with one hand tied behind their proverbial backs. Most of them require you to input the notes and fills.

My reason for using the real drums in BB/RB is simple. I'm lazy and it's quick. It also does a decent job. If I wanted to take the time, I could have a better sounding drum kit, but as a songwriter, I'm not looking for a drum track that shows off the drummer's skill..... I'm looking something that keeps the time and fits the groove well and I don't have to spend a bunch of time creating.

It's totally possible to create a Pert style solo, but, to do it, you have to know your synth and more importantly, you have to be able to think like a drummer.

The second best drum synth to me is Jamstix. Everyone has their favorites. I use this on some of my tracks since it has the ability to create a track for me based on my input parameters and then I can edit it after the fact or ask it to recreate a certain section.... very nice piece of kit, but it does take some time to get in there and make those edits. It incorporates over a dozen "famous drummer" playing styles, and dozens of kits..... plus you select a style of music from a long list and then let it create a track for you. Everything in it is editable and I mean everything..... you can tweek the tuning of the drum heads in the kit and change their diameter and depth if you want.....decay, timbre, attack.... everything...plus effects like verb, compression, room ....

I'm no expert on it. I use it at a very shallow level to get what I need. Some of the things the folks who know it and use it create with it are freaking amazing. Go check out the sample tunes made with JS here>> http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3.html

That's my 2 cents

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
The issue I confronted with other drum generators was that while Jamstix (or comparable) is nice, but if you have a desired Realdrum track already and want to match it, finding a combination of Jamstix Kit/Style that works with the existing Realdrums proved difficult for me.
All it takes is a sample playback synth to make your own 'JamStix type synth' that matches the sound of your existing Realdrum track. And uses BiaB styles..

If the Realdrum individual samples were simply available in a MIDI synth plugin ..
Then you can could, edit, delete, mix Realdrums as needed.

I know the old DR-005 does 90% of what I want, and I have used it. I even got approval from the company to use and distribute it for such use. There was a small learning curve, but I can make a kit pretty quick now (as long as the samples are available), and the possibilities are huge.

It's a whole 'nother world waiting to be explored if you have the inclination.
Want a certain Ending for the drums .. use the samples!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
One of the things I'd like to see in future editions would be the ability to have a composite drum track as we now do but also to be able to control or edit the individual drum kit parts/tracks.

Jamstix and many other drum synths have that ability. You can output the entire kit or split it into multiple outputs so that each part of the kit is assigned a unique track..... very nice if you need that functionality.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:
One of the things I'd like to see in future editions would be the ability to have a composite drum track as we now do but also to be able to control or edit the individual drum kit parts/tracks.

I definately second that.

Anyway, I've downloaded the demo version of Jamstix. First of all, I had to install two DLLs that were missing in the O.S. (Win 7) to make it working :-/

It tooked me quite a while to figure out how to let it play a selected drum section. There are two buttons (!) that have to be pressed, one has a 'lock/unlock' icon, the other looks like the curved arrow of a browser page-reload button ! For my taste is missing a simple "play" button with the green right arrow, you know..

More, the demo version adds random noises here and there during the execution thus disturbing the audition and making quite difficult the evaluation of the product :-((

The XLN's Addictive Drums seems promising, I'll give it a try.

By the way I've also discovered EZDrummer 2, which also seems quite popular in the drum world :-)

Later.

Veteran
Veteran
If you have good drum sound sources like Addictive Drums, EZ drummer, or Steven Slate's SSD Drums, http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/#
you can have drums as good as RDs IMHO. Along with BiaB's MIDI drum tracks you can purchase third part MIDI drum parts from Groovemonkee,
http://www.groovemonkee.com/collections/midi-loops
and others. These grooves will work in SSD4 and Addictive Drums as I have these so I think they should work in EZ drummer.

I work almost exclusively with MIDI drums as I can copy, write, modify and/or play the parts the way I want them.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Apprentice
Apprentice
If I may throw in a random question here while the OP considers all the many options-- I too have EZ Drummer but I still use RealDrums wherever possible to save time. However in my quest for more percussion sounds I am pondering the EZX Latin add-on from ToonTrack.

However in my search I have come across Native Instruments Cuba and West Africa libraries. Tempting enough to make me want to jump ship, to say the least.

Does anyone here have experience with the NI stuff and their player? It's all new to me. Or, another percussion fill sampler I may have missed that is cheaper than say $80-100 US?

BiaB/RB 2014 OmniPak
Juno-Gi Mobile Synth
Roland GR-20+GK-3 Guitar Synthesizer System
Godin Nylon String Synth Access Guitar
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199