RealBand
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Try this:
1. Open RealBand (2014, latest build).
2. Type a few chords.
3. Set the last bar as the end of the song.
4. Select a RealStyle.
5. Go to the Tracks window.
6. Click on the Generate button.

Instead of generating anything (like BIAB does), it brings up a long list of options. If I click on Generate All at the bottom I get an error, something along the lines of:

No previously generated tracks found, can't regenerate tracks.

Why would it tell me that? I didn't ask it to regenerate anything, I asked it to generate everything.

If I click on Generate BB tracks, it works, (at least some of the time). After that, you can use Generate All just fine.

It is this kind of user interface thing that drives me nuts. Not to mention the crashes (access violations) you get rather often after you do things you're probably not supposed to do and borderless windows left on the screen after RB exits, and that I can only get rid of using Task Manager.

It's late, so may be I shouldn't be posting frustrations this... :-)

Willy.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Try selecting a region first (to include selectingvthe entire set of bars in the song).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Tried that just now, that does not work.

Willy.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
It does behave as described in OP here.
Generate All generates all tracks marked as BB tracks or Realtracks.
It generates nothing on a New file.
It generates all of them, regardless of BB or otherwise previously generated tracks... if it is a 'not new' project.

It behaves exactly as expected when used on an existing file (ie if you open a BiaB or RB file that previously existed).

I rarely use it on a new blank projects, instead have adapted to clicking 'Generate BB Tracks' in this situation to get started.

I suppose the option could be labeled better, but its intent is clear once you notice what you already noticed; on a new project use Generate BB Tracks to 'create' the tracks .. then you can change them around in RB, and the Generate All will then do what it was designed to do. It generates all of the existing 'generatable' tracks.

I rarely want to do this, so I don't use this option much. I generate parts one at a time quite often so I can customize the style, pattern, chords better.

Last edited by rharv; 10/20/14 03:59 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
W
WillyL Offline OP
OP Offline
W
But don't you think that in a program with a good UI, it would simply do the equivalent of Generate BB Tracks when there are no tracks there yet? Why give an error? Or at least, suggest to Generate BB Tracks in the error message. Ah, never mind.., :-)

Willy.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting... I have never used Real Band to start a project. I have always started in BB then reopen it in RB....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Quirky? Yes! it is strange quirks like this and inconsistencies in the use of standard GUI (things like scroll wheel) that cause me much frustration during the few times I have tried to use RB. someone here suggested I start in BIAB and then move my song over to RB but when I tried that I discovered RB does not recognize certain BIAB settings like bar settings. and it is quite slow to load unless you convert your song to RB format.

I would never, ever use RB as a DAW! It would add ages to song production! BUT, there is one RB feature I would love to have access to and that is the ability to generate RT on a bar by bar basis. Usually BIAB does a decent job but there is often one or two bars where it does something strange! So I now freeze my tracks in BIAB, save a new copy of the project, regenerate until I get a better option for the problem areas and then patch that together in my DAW.

I would love to be able to drop into RB, generate a few bars or tracks and then export those but I have yet to be able to accomplish this.

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
You can - select a track, Highlight the number of bars you wish to generate, right Click and, from the extensive list of generation options, select the RT or Midi you desire.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
JohnJohnJohn,

The "Multiriff" function in BIAB sounds like it could be very useful for you, too.

This will generate up to 7 versions of the same Realtrack. I often use multiriff to get multiple RT versions, especially for solos, and then I piece together a single compiled track.

This might save you a significant amount of time.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. The reason RB is seemingly slow to load is because it generates completed tracks before it's ready to play. BIAB, on the other hand, only partially generates tracks and, after a few bars have been completed, playback starts. The rest of the tracks are generated as a background process while playback is occurring.

Last edited by Noel96; 10/23/14 02:49 AM. Reason: correcting typos

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Noel96
JohnJohnJohn,

The "Multiriff" function in BIAB sounds like it could be very useful for you, too.

This will generate up to 7 versions of the same Realtrack. I often use multirfill to get multiple RT versions, especially for solos, and then I piece together a single compiled track.

This might save you a significant amount of time.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. The reason RB is seemingly slow to load is because it generates completed tracks before it's ready to play. BIAB, on the other hand, only partially generates tracks and, after a few bars have been completed, playback starts. The rest of the tracks are generated as a background process while playback is occurring.

Noel, you are probably the only person here who could convince me to keep trying RB! smile I really do appreciate all of your support and helpful information. I benefit from your replies even when I do not have any current interest in the topic.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hmm,
I made a post last night that seems to have disappeared.

Quote:
But don't you think that in a program with a good UI, it would simply do the equivalent of Generate BB Tracks when there are no tracks there yet? Why give an error? Or at least, suggest to Generate BB Tracks in the error message. Ah, never mind.., :-)

The gist of my missing post was that I don't use this method that often because of my work flow so haven't noticed them, but YES I do think the suggested behaviors would be an improvement.

Send email to Support of at least post this in the RB WishList forum in hopes they make this change.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

Quote:
Noel, you are probably the only person here who could convince me to keep trying RB! smile I really do appreciate all of your support and helpful information. I benefit from your replies even when I do not have any current interest in the topic.

Thank you smile That's lifted today for me!

I don't mix songs in Realband, I prefer to use Reaper, but RB is an important part of the song-assembly process for me. As mentioned above, I find "multiriff" incredibly useful. Simply right click on a track and select it from the pop-up menu. The rest is pretty much self-explanatory.

I also like being able to generate sections of a RT though, to be honest, since multiriff came along, I don't do that too much any more. (Amongst other things, I use multiriff to create a number of tracks and then I listen through the tracks to see if there are instrumental sections that I might be able to copy and paste and use as hooks.)

RB is a great place to test run different tracks (midi and RT) to see if they sound good in a mix. The 48 tracks in RB as opposed to 7 tracks in BIAB makes it very useful.

Once I have the tracks organised, I then export them to Reaper.

I also use Realband to add vocal harmony ...

With vocals, I record them in Reaper and use Reatune to touch up the million or so notes that are a bit wonky. I then export the tuned, dry vocal track to Realband and use TC Helicon to add some harmony. (Click on the vocal track, CTRL+A to select it, and then follow the pathway shown below to get to TC Helicon.)

After this, I take the harmony tracks back to Reaper and mix them appropriately with the lead vocals. The generated harmony tracks do have an electronic sound to them but, if they are mixed at low volume, they can be very effective.

If you go to my signature, click the link to Vimeo and listen to "Dare To Dream the Impossible" and "Jamaican Moon", you'll get some idea of how I use multiriff and TC Helicon (I usually add a touch of harmony to the second and third choruses).

Also, if you follow the Soundcloud link in my signature, go to the bottom of the songs, you'll find "Wait And See" with floyd jane's added BIABettes (in the last chorus). When it comes to using TC Helicon for choral effects, floyd's a real artist!

So my advice ... don't give up on Realband. It can be incredibly useful.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hi Noel!

OK. I have to admit you intrigued me enough to open up RB again tonight and it looks like I just spent the better part of the past 4 hours on this!! smile First thing I tried is that MultiRiff feature you told me about and that is indeed a very cool feature. Seems like I could add this one RB feature to my toolkit and be way ahead of the game! I generated 7 different riffs for the lead instrument for the whole song and then saved them as WAV files to bring into my DAW (Reaper). I can certainly see how this can open up a whole lot more options by having multiple tracks of the instrument to cut & paste around my song!!

One thing I feel I should spend more time with is using that MultiRiff feature while inside RB to customize my track one section at a time until I have it exactly how I want it. That might even eliminate the need to save multiple tracks and cut & paste in my DAW!

I will have to play with this further to see if it is better for my workflow than simply regenerating a track bar by bar in RB.

Thanks again for all your help!
-John

RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Oh, also Noel, I tried out the TC-Helicon feature you told me about. I think I had tried this in BIAB some time ago. I found that I needed to bring my original BIAB song back in with the vocal track in order to give it something to key off of for chords.

Weird thing it is doing though...when I ask for 2up+2down it only gives me 3 harmony tracks instead of the expected 4! Any idea why it does that?

And, is there any way you know of to improve the sound quality of those generated harmonies? I agree with you that they currently have to be way down in the mix because they do sound kinda mechanical. I have a physical stompbox from TC-Helicon that generates harmonies and I am pretty sure it does a better job. Wonder if there is any software update available for this module in BIAB/RB?

What I ended up doing in the song I was working on was record two harmony tracks of me singing and then use the TC-Helicon harmony tracks at a much lower volume to fill in the harmony parts. I need to try this finished mix on various systems as I'm afraid adding all of these tracks may muddy things up too much.

But again, I am seeing another way RB can be an asset to my toolbox so thank you once more!!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

That's great news! I promise that you will not be disappointed that you've learnt how to drive Multiriff.

In relation to TC Helicon, I get the best results when I tune the vocal to start with. That still doesn't stop it sounding electronic but it does reduce the octave jumps a little.

One thing that Mac always recommends with TC Helicon is to use it to generate harmony and then for the singer to learn to sing the harmony lines. These real vocals can then be added to the mix and there is no mechanical/electronic sound at all. (TC Helicon still plays an important part in getting these results.)

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,689
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200