Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi all,

I've recently discovered an organization that is quite organized and has great training materials.

http://www.littlekidsrock.org/

http://www.littlekidsrock.org/for-teachers/free-resources/

I live in NYC, and there's an affiliate organization that's been offering free Saturday workshops for NYC music teachers and anyone else interested in attending. There are also music instrument grants for NYC music teachers that attend the required 2-day workshop on their programs.

http://www.littlekidsrock.org/ampupnyc

If you're in the NYC area - check out the meetups and grants, and if not - check out the free online teaching materials : )

Now to the question...this organization takes very beginning students and tries to teach them how to play an instrument in NYC classes of 30 students (sometimes more, sometimes less). They have a bunch of great suggestions to keep the kids engaged, but there are periods where it would be great to allow software apps to give the students some feedback on their playing - whatever instrument, regarding accuracy of reading, accuracy of playing on the downbeats (e.g. in rhythm) - maybe singing accuracy. What apps would be best for this ? Does BB offer any such real-time performance feedback ? I know there is some singing feedback - but on second thought, this is not easily used in a class of 30. Something where the students can use headphones and a computer would of course lend itself much better.

Last edited by Joe V; 10/29/14 06:20 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ha, the first thing that jumped into my mind after reading your thread title was "Your dog". If it runs out of the room howling, the kid isn't very good...

Other than that I got nothing.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I hope we don't get to the point where we can't have real teachers doing this work. Anyway, I do have some experience with this concept back in 1996 with a combination program & hardware package called Amadeus. It would track a student's timing and pitch using the built-in mic. It was more accurate when using a MIDI keyboard. It would give a "grade" as a percentage that the performance matched the music presented on the screen.

I don't know of anything current.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

You don't need a program giving feedback. All you need is human being in the form of a teacher, or at least another musician.

Shucks, ... even an educated listener is preferable to a "program"!

It never ceases to amaze me when a handful of folks on this forum relish the idea of removing humans from the process of teaching, learning and playing music.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hey Joe! Don't be coming around here with all yer dang newfangled ideas about "teknologic" solutions. If'n some kid you know is needin' some music training then they need to hook the horse up to the buggy and git on over to town and see old man Trebleclef about some lessons! Oh and, "Git offa my lawn!"

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Joe,

You don't need a program giving feedback. All you need is human being in the form of a teacher, or at least another musician.

Shucks, ... even an educated listener is preferable to a "program"!

It never ceases to amaze me when a handful of folks on this forum relish the idea of removing humans from the process of teaching, learning and playing music.

Well worded Bob!

A computer program can not tell if a student is using the proper technique when playing the notes. All it can tell is if the notes are correct or not, well maybe it can tell. If a student learns wrong techniques they may not go far as a musician; yes I know there are exceptions, especially in the guitar world. But if that student wants to improve and goes to a teacher that teacher will have hard time getting the student out of those bad techniques. So one should start learning an instrument with a good teacher IMO.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The stated purpose of this organization is to be:

"...a national nonprofit that transforms children's lives by restoring and revitalizing music education in disadvantaged public schools."

Music programs have been cut or eliminated in schools, and while a one-on-one teacher/student situation is preferable, neither the schools or these kid's parents can afford that. A program like Joe suggested would be useful, and would allow the kids to progress on their own.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "... a handful of folks on this forum relish the idea of removing humans from the process of teaching, learning and playing music." grin

It has to do with getting inner city kids interested in music, which is a good thing, whether through human teaching or technology.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
The most developed programs I've seen are by Yamaha and Casio. Both offer online "learn keyboard" programs. Both are directed more to self directed, learn-on-your-own and mass education situations. Roland also has a strong educational program but it is geared more toward the traditional one-on-one or small class size.

Essentially, age and ability appropriate midi songs are uploaded to a keyboard then, by either following along to a screen, or by following lights embedded in the keys, students learn by repetition. There's more to it than that but you get the picture. The computer screen replaces reading sheet music. The midi files help with learning the keys, scales, tempo, etc. The teacher can move between students helping overcome hurdles.

While perhaps not ideal, the Yamaha and Casio programs should easily conform to the New York program.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
N
nig Offline
N
Its an interesting question, and while I agree with others that one-to-one tuition from a good teacher cannot be beaten, it does come at a cost and the context of the original question makes it clear that funds are limited.

A quick Google search found this, www.smartmusic.com , which at first sight seems to offer some sort of solution. Whether it fits the budget or not is another matter. I have no idea how good it is but it may be a starting point for you, Joe?

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Thank you 90dB for reading between the lines. Many schools do not even have a music program, and if they do, they're scheduled just like a 'cluster' science teacher or gym teacher, meaning that they get a class full of 30 to 35 students 5 or more times a day (actually, I don't know exactly hoe many per day) - all different classes and age levels, from K to 6 in an elementary school. Sometimes they only meet once a week, maybe twice. The sessions are about 40 minutes. Keeping 30 kids ENGAGED is pretty damn difficult - but the School Kids Rock guys have taken all these things into account and come up with their music lessons accordingly. A classroom music prep is an ENTIRELY different thing than an individual music lesson - there is no comparison, but it may inspire children to love music, or even look forward more to coming to school.

...and this is for the schools that DO have a music teacher, else they get no exposure.

School Kids Rock insists that people with music degrees get their music instrument grants and become certified in the program - so they're actually promoting the music majors. I am not a music major - so I don't qualify for the program, though I would have loved to conduct it in an after-school program. I'm just a lifelong student and lover of music.

Last edited by Joe V; 10/31/14 03:12 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Ten-year-old Ashley Nunez, a student from PS 98 Shorac Kappock elementary school in Manhattan who performed an original song featuring Jake Clemons, summed up the night best, saying, “Little Kids Rock gave me the chance to learn to play music, and now they are giving me the chance to play a song that we wrote in school in front of all of these people. This has been such an awesome experience, and a night I’ll never forget.”

It doesn't get any better than that. smile

Hey Joe - do you know any programers? It shouldn't be too difficult to write a simple program to do what you need.

Regards,

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,626
Posts735,220
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185