You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#266968 - 10/31/14 07:06 AM [User Showcase] New song: 'Running From The Reaper'
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
This is another song using lyrics written by my friend Richard. The song is a warning to the vain and the greedy that they too will face their fate in due course.

BIAB details:
Style _DRDUN_G.STY Slow Rock Ballad RealTracks. (Tempo increased from 85 to 95-97)
for rhythm guitars (L, R and C), and bass.
Style BOSEPMD.STY Med. Bossa El.Piano Trio RealTrack. (Tempo slowed from 140 to 95-97)
for electric piano.

I added lead guitar fills and a solo, plus vocals and a second electric piano part for a 'choppy feel'. I programmed the drums in Addictive Drums.

Direct Link.
Lyrics and Tech Notes.

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#266972 - 10/31/14 07:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This reminded me a lot of the Eagles in their Hotel California phase.... Yeah... I really think this is Eagles influenced in it's many aspects.

The first few verses were a smooth jazz style.....when you hit the (what I thought was) the chorus.... "It's no good running..." I really liked that part of the song. I'm on the second listen now...and the verses make more sense musically now....

The song is really, really long running to well over 9 minutes in length. (9:23)
The guitar solo is really nice, but didn't start until 7:30 minutes into the song. I would have eliminated the 37sec intro and started it at 38 sec.

Lyrically, there's a lot of cool mental imagery in the song. It reminds me of a cross between the Eagles and Neil Young's Down by the river..... especially in the solo, but with better guitar playing and tone than Neil ever used. IIRC correctly NY's DBTR was over 9 min as well.

A cool concept song.

I give it a thumbs up.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#266982 - 10/31/14 08:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Thanks for taking a listen and the kind comments Herb!
It's actually 6:24 to the end of the fade. I did think of taking out the middle 8 but it's totally intrinsic to the song. Richard's lyrics were so superb I didn't feel there was anything that could be cut!

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#266984 - 10/31/14 08:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
John, Now this is absolutely FANTASTIC! I hear Steely Dan and Pink Floyd influences. Excellent solo and fills. The vocal is great. The lyrics are great. What an arrangement. The production quality and mix stand up against the best ever posted on the forum. Loved all 6:22 of it. Going back in for another listen, cover me. Tom

#266987 - 10/31/14 08:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Richard's lyrics were so superb I didn't feel there was anything that could be cut!
John

I used to think that way too. Until I stated to work with some writers in Nashville on some of my songs. One started out as close to 5 minutes with 4 verses, prechorus, chorus, and bridge, the other was similar in style and length..... on the advice I was being given, I cut away the non-essential parts, dropping 2 verses, combining the best parts from the existing verses, dropping the bridge, shortening or eliminating the guitar solo's and intro's .... basically boiling it down to the essential and best parts of the song. 2 songs that I did this with are Come & Go and The Best Christmas, both of which are on my music pages in their finished versions.

But all of that really only matters if you are seeking to use the songs in a commercial manner. For personal use and fun, write, record, and don't sweat the other stuff.

Edited by Guitarhacker (10/31/14 08:47 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#266992 - 10/31/14 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
John,

Your stuff is always top-shelf - studio quality. I had to go back for a second listen to pay attention to the parts - the mix is SO good, I got lost in it the first time through - the mark of a quality mix.

The hi-hat sounds incredibly good (and I'm no fan of hi-hats) - the whole kit sounds good. Nice job on the entire drum track. The bass is super (did you process that at all? how?). Love your guitar tone. Nice vocals. Terrific arrangement.

Now on my 3rd pass through. Amazing mix. Big wow stuff.

floyd

#266997 - 10/31/14 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: floyd jane]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
John,

Your stuff is always top-shelf - studio quality. I had to go back for a second listen to pay attention to the parts - the mix is SO good, I got lost in it the first time through - the mark of a quality mix.

The hi-hat sounds incredibly good (and I'm no fan of hi-hats) - the whole kit sounds good. Nice job on the entire drum track. The bass is super (did you process that at all? how?). Love your guitar tone. Nice vocals. Terrific arrangement.

Now on my 3rd pass through. Amazing mix. Big wow stuff.

floyd

Many thanks Floyd, much appreciated!

Bass part: I was very pleased with the bass in this song - mostly thanks to BIAB. I took the BIAB RealTrack into Sonar and then, using Melodyne, converted it to MIDI. I then played it through SampleTank3 using a finger bass sample. I didn't have to apply any EQ or any effects at all.
I find I'm using SampleTank all the time now for MIDI sounds, I'm very impressed with it.

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#266998 - 10/31/14 09:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
John,

+1 to all said before me.
I can find nothing to say but compliments.
The intro is wonderful and I too see a Steely Dan influence.
The lyrics are above excellent, pass my compliments to Richard especially for
Quote:
When Dan’s on a roll, oligarch style, leading Mammon’s armies around the square mile

This song needs quite a few listens and at each pass something new pops up to impress me.
A truly professional production.

Alyn

#267011 - 10/31/14 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi John,

a great song! Excellent solo and fills.
Great lyrics and vocals. Great arrangement and mix.
A throughout impressive production.
The layout of your Lyrics and Tech Notes are made very tastefully.

Guenter

#267025 - 10/31/14 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Killer song John!! (some pun intended but absolutely true). Very timely on Halloween as well. Although I'm listening on a IMac, even these speakers reveal a great mix. I can appreciate a lot of the others' comments. The EP is very Eagles, some Steely Danish chord changes (I am a huge Dan fan), guitar solo is pure Gilmour. It is truly a masterpiece from beginning to end!! Love it. Take care. Greg

#267034 - 10/31/14 06:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
John, you have clearly had that guitar slung around your neck for quite a long time... great songs just flow thru your fingers it seems. I'd have to agree with everybody's comparisons to the Eagles, Steely Dan and Pink Floyd... but I think you also have quite a signature sound of your own.

I'd have to give this song the three-P award:
Polished
Professional
Punchy

I greatly respect your talent.. it is many-faceted and highly developed

#267044 - 10/31/14 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
John,

That dreamy intro was a real teaser for the punchy music that followed! Nice surprise!

Super production of a great song. everything works perfectly. there are so many elements to this song and you placed each one in it's perfect place. And your vocal was outstanding! Everything done professionally.

"You used all that power, it didn't use you" Great line!

Thanks for a terrific listen! Best to you ...

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#267051 - 10/31/14 07:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi John.

I always like to listen to a song before I read the comments by others and yes, Steely Dan was my first thought. Interesting then, to see how many others said the same thing. Being compared to Steely Dan has to be a good thing, right? They're certainly favourites of mine.

Regarding the length of the song, my take on it is this -

A song is only too long if the listener loses interest before the end.

Personally, I loved every second of it and judging by the number of people who've gone back for another listen, others did too.

Everything about this song says "professional". Certainly one of the best tracks I've heard on here in a long time.

ROG.

#267054 - 10/31/14 08:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello John,

This almost sounds like jaded gigolo part 2.
I detect a similar build up and modulations.
The lead guitar sounds great!
And again, very cool vocals and a very steady and professional production.
Always looking forward to your songs, they are among the best on this forum.

Regards,
Rob

Edited by R & AM (11/01/14 11:47 AM)

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#267064 - 10/31/14 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This is a great write and production. Plus +1 all the way.

Captivating song. Really enjoyed your guitar work.

Charlie

#267220 - 11/02/14 01:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Charlie Fogle]
jgottlied Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
I too have to agree with all the comments about Steely Dan, The Eagle, and Pink Floyd. I am not sure why, but the first band that came to my mind was E.L.O. It really doesn't matter who the song reminds us of, the point is that it is a wonderful offering and well worth listening to. I think the mix was great and hope you don't mind that I added this to the playlist I am currently listening to.

#267350 - 11/04/14 05:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Many thanks Herb, Tommy, Floyd, Alyn, Guenter, Greg, Pat, Alan & Di, ROG, Rob & Anne-Marie, Charlie, John.
It means a lot to me when the fruit of many, many days' work is enjoyed by my peers. blush

A third song with Richard's lyrics is on the blocks, so I must get back to work!

Cheers
John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#267359 - 11/04/14 07:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Many thanks Herb, Tommy, Floyd, Alyn, Guenter, Greg, Pat, Alan & Di, ROG, Rob & Anne-Marie, Charlie, John.
It means a lot to me when the fruit of many, many days' work is enjoyed by my peers. blush

A third song with Richard's lyrics is on the blocks, so I must get back to work!

Cheers
John

John,
your songs never disappoint! I look forward to hearing your next offering!

#267533 - 11/06/14 03:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song: 'Running From The Reaper' [Re: Skyline]
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
John,
I agree, big production values in there. I really like the message too.
SD

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Forum Stats
28070 Members
57 Forums
54420 Topics
449933 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ugtk, helenmai, chuckster55, KeithR, Andreu Casado

28070 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 162
David Snyder 151