You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#267745 - 11/09/14 11:45 AM [Off-Topic] Win 8.1 drag&drop Read-Only file question for the gurus
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
I'm working on four new style disks.

When writing the installation routines, I use Read-Only files as templates.

Normally I just right-click, drag, and choose copy but sometimes the old habit of left-clicking just happens.

As far back as I can remember, when left-click dragging and dropping a Read-Only file, it won't let me move the file without a nagging "Are you sure you want to do this?" type message.

Now I notice with Win 8.1, left-click-and-drag a Read-Only file just moves it to the new location where I immediately add dozens of files to it. Then when I go back to the template folder, it isn't there, so I have to copy it all back and then remove all the added files. Not a disaster, but a PITA anyway. (This happens on two 8.1 computers)

I searched and searched but the control panel on my computer and google for answers with no results (google was worthless - obviously I don't know how to ask the question).

So for the computer gurus out there, is there anything I can do to restore the function of not being able to move a Read-Only file without a nagging confirmation

Thanks,
Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#267941 - 11/10/14 04:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Win 8.1 drag&drop Read-Only file question for the gurus [Re: Notes Norton]
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

#268010 - 11/11/14 09:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Win 8.1 drag&drop Read-Only file question for the gurus [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thanks, I got that far. It warns me before going into the trash.

But still when I left-click-drag-and-drop a read-only file from one folder to another on the same physical drive, it moves it without the nag message.

One confused Notes Norton

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove

#268013 - 11/11/14 09:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Win 8.1 drag&drop Read-Only file question for the gurus [Re: Notes Norton]
GHinCH Offline
Expert

Loc: Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
Don't Win 8, but Windows behaviour since it's first launch.

Since I can't remeber when, when you left-click and drag,
  • you move a file to the new destination if it is on the same drive.
  • you copy a file to the new destination if it is on a different drive.

I usually have such templates on a different drive and just drag and drop to the new location on my working drive.

Guido

#268015 - 11/11/14 09:36 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Win 8.1 drag&drop Read-Only file question for the gurus [Re: Notes Norton]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I just use a utility called Total Commander. Works fine in Windows 8.1 or any other version.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#268173 - 11/12/14 09:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Win 8.1 drag&drop Read-Only file question for the gurus [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thanks Matt, I'll look into that.

Guido, that's the way Windows works, but until Windows 8.1, if you left-click (moved) a Read-Only file from one folder to another, you would get a dialog box that said something like this, "Are you sure you want to move the read-only file xxxxxx.xxx?"

I normally rignt-click to copy a file on the same drive, so I get the choice in the pop-up menu, but sometimes I forget. Making a file Read-Only has always been a way to keep me from accidentally moving a template file.

Notes

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Build 263 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Mac users can download the latest free patch update, Build 263, here.

Summary of changes for Version 2018 Build 263 (July 20, 2018):
Added: Help Video button added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Added: Menu items added for opening an entire Karaoke file.
Added: Menu items added for opening an entire MIDI file.
Added: Support added for features that some newer styles will require.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash or freeze when using adding UserTracks and pressing Play.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: 'Multi' and 'Medley' RealTracks were not displaying proper track titles.
Fixed: Playback might cause a crash after editing multi-drums.
Fixed: Some AU plugins might cause a crash during playback.
Fixed: The 'A number is out of range' error message should mention the number that the user entered for clarity.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Ghost button in the Piano Roll window could not be disabled.
Fixed: The Notation Window would not redraw properly after exiting the Import Chords dialog.
Fixed: The Preferences 2 dialog might not exit using [OK] without an 'A number is out of range' error message.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Improved: XML improvements.

Video - Unboxing Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is currently only available in English, but that didn't stop this Danish company, www.guitaren.dk/, from creating an unboxing video!

Video - Unboxing af Band In A Box 2018 Mac version

They love that Band-in-a-Box® is so portable when you order the UltraPAK pre-installed on a hard drive!
(...and so do we!!!)

YouTube Find - How I Learned To Play Guitar Without YouTube And NO GUITAR TEACHER

EricBlackmonGuitar recently posted a great video (using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks...) called How I Learned To Play Guitar Without YouTube And NO GUITAR TEACHER - check it out! Click here to watch...

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Resource - Individual New Features Videos

The December release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows added 50+ new features and enhancements, Video RealTracks, 202 new RealTracks, and more!

Here is a summary of the videos created to highlight the new additions and features:
(click on the title to play the video)

- Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!
- Complete New Features Video
- 2018 Audio Chord Wizard
- Vocal Oohs and Aahs
- Video RealTracks
- 202 NEW RealTracks
- 40 Bonus RealTracks in the 2018 49-PAK

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 520 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows users can download the latest free patch update, Build 250, here.

Summary of changes for Build 520 since 519 (July 17 2018):
Added: Save As style feature has support for MIDI velocity changes if volumes aren’t 90 on mixer when saved.
Added: Support for MIDI velocity changes in styles. Use the Misc-More dialog in StyleMaker to set velocity changes in MIDI styles.
Fixed: [Style Memos etc] button was not visible in the Style Editor -> Misc dialog.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: Hitting the Return key while in the Audio Edit window might trigger Loop Screen mode.
Updated: PDF Manual and Help.

User Blog - Recording and Processing Vocals Using RealBand...

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post is a "start to finish" of how she records and processes vocals for her songs using her three "go-to" programs: RealBand, Melodyne, and Nectar from Izotope (with a little help from Band-in-a-Box...)!

Check out this blog post here.

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Forum Stats
27727 Members
50 Forums
52656 Topics
436544 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Arfkonk, DOM54, Ernesto18, rz68, CD in SB

27727 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 168
Al-David 150