Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#268692 11/16/14 10:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Nothing to Lose

Well, I have been a bit absent from the forum for a while but been very busy on all sorts of projects. Have released my first album and been submitting some stuff for film and television (mainly instrumentals). Nothing’s been selected (yet!!) but plenty have been “short listed” so I am going to keep doing that. A while back they asked for something about “Nothing to Lose” but not a downer song. They were looking for a song with a bit of spark and a bit of hope and a bit of defiance. So I half wrote this song and missed the deadline but was finally inspired to finish it the other day. I am not sure if I like it or not so any comments (or complaints) are appreciated. I think my vocal is a bit “pitchy” in places.

A modern day Don Quixote
Chasing shadows on the wall
Trying to find and brand new rhyme
for hope
Staring out across the ocean
Looking for a patch of land
Trying to see and place where he
can dance

He’s free to watch life go
Clock ticks but no-one knows
Nowhere to hide no road to choose
Time passes year by year
The door shuts on empty air
Nothing to win nothing to lose

He packs his courage up in his suitcase
He wanders where on earth he'll go
Trying to meet a life that he
can share
The air is still here after midnight
You can hear the devil breathe
Trying to be a man that he
Can love

Forget perfection
there's no such thing
Just see the light
the cracks let in

Tracks are:
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2045:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryPopJohn Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1593:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 065
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
And a MIDI Dimension Pro Stings track

Last edited by JosieC; 11/16/14 11:45 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi Joanne, glad to see a new post from you. This is a nice song. Good choice of instruments and good harmonies. Little nits? Just a few suggestions. Here in the US Nothing to loose would be written as Nothing to lose. Would never make a difference unless you were pitching the song over here. Someone may think it is a spelling error. First impressions kind of thing you know.

About the song, to me, the tempo could be a tick faster. I enjoyed the song and your performance as always.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another winner from one of my favorite singers.

Personally I like the song just the way it is!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,

Nice job on the production of this. But I think you should go in another direction with it.... and here's why...

There are a WHOLE BUNCH of REALLY COOL lines in this song. However..I had a hard time following what you were trying to say - what the song was about.... but it had a cool sound that seemed "familiar" somehow...

Then it hit me... this would be a PERFECT song for Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane... So, I think you should do a full-blown "psychedelic rock" production of this. Hard core rock stuff. Tons of reverb on your vocal (which is very nice, btw - harmonies, too)....

Put some flowers in your hair... do the Frisco thing...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song. Loved the style of the song. Reminding me of late 60's. Judy Collins. Well sung and well played. Love the shot of your pup too on your soundcloud page..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne,

I thought this was an absolutely beautiful performance. I've never heard your voice and harmonies sound better. The mix sounds so good on my headphones - I'm amazed you do all of this using Realband. I was totally caught up.

I agree with Floyd a lot but I have to disagree with him on this one. For me, this is a wonderful Folk song that reminds me of the female folk singers I grew up listening to and perfectly done just as it is - I wouldn't Slick it up - pun intended. I loved it.

Great job. Standing O from me.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,

I loved it - this may be my new favorite of all your songs... Great job!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,

At first listen I think the song is perfect as it is.
The backing vocals are wonderful.
And as Scott says it is very reminiscent of Judy Collins or should I say she sounds like you, as over the years I have listened to more of your songs than hers grin

On second listen I agree with myself but can visualise floyd's idea and imagined the solo after
Quote:
Just see the light
the cracks let in
; a drum fill, change of key and BAM a fade out with a distorted solo.

On third listen...leave it as it is. It is perfect.

The photo you use for the backdrop is really good, it would make a good album cover.

All in all that song is up to your usual high standards.

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Charlie - Thank you and thank you for pointing out my rather careless mistake! I had thought "I must check the spelling of lose/loose before I publish" then then it got late and I forgot! So silly of me. Have changed it. I'm not sure if I can increase the tempo as I am already battling to fit in all the words.

Hi Mario - Thank you so much for your wonderful and ongoing support.

Hi Floyd – I was not familiar with Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane (yes I know…born and bred in Zimbabwe I had a very sheltered upbringing…Listening to Joan Baez and John Denver!.) Have had a squiz around Youtube and I may give it a try….I am always keen to try some new things. Thanks so much.

Hi Scott – Thank you and the reference to Judy Collins is not lost on me. I appreciate it. My pup is probably more popular that I am!

Hi Josie. Thanks so much. I am so glad you liked it. I am getting to know Realband’s idiosyncrasies quite well at this stage. I simply work through all the “funny” things that happen! Adding Dimension Pro to my toolbox also opened up a whole new world. Now I just need to learn to play the keyboard a bit better. I think that doing that album really helped. I am working on another one of Dylan and Denver covers.

Hi Bob – Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

Hi Alyn – Thanks so much. You made me smile!!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne,

beautiful voice and harmonies.
I like it as is, but why not giving Floyd's
suggestion a try?

Guenter

boehm #268764 11/17/14 05:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Joanne,

beautiful voice and harmonies.
I like it as is, but why not giving Floyd's
suggestion a try?

Guenter

Hi Guenter. Thanks. Am working on it as we speak!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,

+1 to everybody else's positive comments! I always enjoy your songs, and I miss being able to hear you perform on StreetJelly! (It was always a challenge to see if I could mess you up by making you laugh!... and I can't even whole-heartedly apologize, because it was so much fun!!)

wink

But, getting back on topic: if you decide to take Floyd's idea and re-conceptualize this song as a late 60's - San Francisco - Fillmore West - Jefferson Airplane theme... I volunteer to add a guitar track that would fit and maybe even capture the feel of that band at that point in time. But that would only be a good idea if you wanted to truly mimic Jefferson Airplane instead of retaining your own signature sound while simultaneously capturing the heart and soul of that place and time.

Either way, so glad to see you posting again! Good luck with your CD and with the songs you are submitting for other purposes!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Josie,
Very nicely done. I agree with the comments about the BVGs. Very well done. And a surprise ending to boot. Great!
SD

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Pat - Thanks so much for that. I am finding a bit of a challenge I must say!! I think the "folk" thing is engrained in me. But I am persevering…so will see what I can come up with. I miss your fun and sense of humor on SJ. Are you performing on any other sites. Numumbu? Will (probably) post my psychedelic rock version if I can get it to sound reasonable!

Hi Trevor – Thank you so much

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne,

We really like this song as it is. Wouldn't change anything.
And yes... your voice suddenly reminds us of Joan Baez.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G

He packs his courage up in his suitcase
You can hear the Devil breathe

These are beautiful, poetic lines!! Really nice writing!

Welcome back, we missed you!

Great work. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Rob and Ann Marie- Thanks for giving it a listen and I am flattered by your Joan Baez reference. She is a truly wonderful singer.

Hi Greg – I love the way you pick out lines that appeal to you. Thanks so much!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
'Forget perfection
there's no such thing
Just see the light
the cracks let in"

I can't get that line outa
my head. This is really
a cool write. As several folks
have already alluded to this
is a lyric that could be done
many different ways. Folky
or '60's psychedelia both
would do it justice. You did
a fine job singing and producing
this.

Congrats.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Jo !:))

This must be your best so far !:))
A most lovely tune so wonderfully
performed ! Those vocals of yours
are just heavenly !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Josie....

You've got that folky (Joan Biaz) thing going on...I really like this song...but I would take Pat up on a tasteful guitar solo for it....

Horst Hartung

Windows 10 - RealBand 2020:Build(3); Xtra Styles PAKs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8; 64 bit Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz; 4 TB HD; 550 GB SSD PCIe Drive, 16GB Memory. Behringer UFX1604 Digital Mixer.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/horst_hartung
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,701
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198