Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Other Programs Wishlist
N
nig Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The “Help” button brings up a page which shows a screenshot of the “Main Screen of the Program”. One of the highlighted features is “Tempo Adjustment” which seems to point to a couple of toolbar buttons which enable the tempo to be varied and the bpm to be displayed.

These buttons are not present on my toolbar and my "live help" exchanges have confirmed that there is no way of displaying the current tempo.

The tempo at which I am able to perform an exercise is vitally important information to enable me to assess my progress (or lack thereof!)

The lack of a tempo display is a fundamental flaw in the program's interface. I had initially been impressed with the program...

Last edited by nig; 10/31/14 04:46 PM.
Other Programs Wishlist
N
nig Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I've just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFDORaC04Mc&index=19&list=PL84A800A2D515AA60 ("Woodshedding with Band in a Box") so someone at PG Music clearly gets the importance of understanding the tempo at which you are playing. Please can we get the same clarity in Jazz guitar Masterclass?

Other Programs Wishlist
B
BBB Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi Nig,

I dont think anyone really cares if your impressed with the program or not. I know I dont!

And from reading your other posts, you sound a little bit like a whiner and complainer.......

Also, as long as you can hear the music and play in time with it, knowing what TEMPO it is is not really as important as you may think it is unless your a speed freak.......

Ive never been in a group or jam where a song is called and someone says Lets play it at 232 Blue Bossa at 186 Autumn Leaves at 144 I mean c'mon really!

Other Programs Wishlist
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
BBB,

Nig is pointing out his version does not display tempo adjustment.

Nig,

Try adjusting your display resolution to 480 X 640 which is a standard VGA screen setting. Jazz Guitar Master Class is an older PGA Music software program so it was most likely designed to be displayed on VGA screens.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Other Programs Wishlist
N
nig Offline OP
OP Offline
N
BBB thanks for your warm welcome to the forums!

If I adopted the same attitude as yours I could respond that "I don't think anyone really cares if you think I 'sound a little bit like a whiner and complainer'. I know I don't!", but that would be equally unconstructive.

Instead, just for the sake of clarity:
1. I was asked to post the original note by Kent on the "live help" desk to highlight the issue.

2. Kent kindly sent me a link to download a previous version of the program (version 1.0 build 73 compared with the current version 1.0 build 76) which does clearly display the current tempo as shown in the help file.

3. Kent's response on the "live help" desk was exemplary and helped me overcome the issue, but it still seems relevant to highlght that a valuable feature of the program seems to have disappeared in the space of "3 builds".

4. I find it a useful measure of my progress to be able to compare the tempos at which I am able to comfortably play an exercise over time. If I could only manage a piece at 60bpm last week but this week I can do 84bpm, then that tells me I am making progress. It doesn't tell me anything about my phrasing, or dynamics, or rhythmic accuracy, or right hand technique, but it does tell me that I have been able to play faster this week than last week. So it is one (imperfect) measure of improvement. I am not interested in the absolute tempo; it is the change (hopefully an increase!) that is important. Its not even the size of the change that is that important, just the fact of a change.

5. Build 76 does not indicate the tempo so the only way I can think of measuring a change would be to try and synchronise a real metronome with each exrcise and note the change over time; this does not sound practical or productive! Build 73 indicates the tempo, allowing any improvement to be clearly seen.

6. You may be correct that no-one is interested in my initial positive impression of the product having been undermined by an apparent flaw. However I know that I take note of my customers' views in my own business, and I know of no reason why PG Music would not be similarly concerned by a positive initial impression having been damaged by an apparent flaw in the software. The fact that they have a "wishlist" section in their forums suggests they welcome feedback. If you think that the program is better not displaying the current tempo, then please say so and offer a reasoned argument, otherwise I fail to see the point of your post in a "wishlist" context.

7. A sub-forum containing the word "wishlist" in it's title is probably not the place to expect to find unalloyed positivity about a company's products. I am sorry you see my comments as "whining" and "complaining"; they were intended as constructive criticism, albeit tinged with my frustration that what the help file promised was present was not in fact available. I am still enjoying the product (at least build 73) and hpe to continue to do so for some time to come. If a future "build 77" fixes the issues I have raised, then I will be extremely pleased.

I hope all that makes sense. smile

Other Programs Wishlist
N
nig Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for your suggestion, JimFogle, but unfortunately it makes no difference; its a good thought though, thanks:)

Version 1.0 build 73 (supplied by Kent on the "live help" desk) displays the tempo dropdown on all resolutions from 640x480 to 1600x900 but version 1.0 build 76 does not (at least not on my system nor on Kent's).

If anyone can get the tempo to appear in version 1.0 build 76 then I'd be pleased to find out how and it might save PG Music some time and effort as well.

Other Programs Wishlist
B
BBB Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hey Nig,

My apologies I got a little carried away, its nothing personal. I just got rubbed the wrong way when I read your comments about 16% and 5 minutes...........

im just thinking you gotta be kidding me etc etc like thats a big deal.......

I should have kept my comments to myself...........

Kind Regards, BBB

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200