Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I've been spending some time with this question, and its paying some fruit. I mean we spend a lot of time thinking about consonance, but dissonance control is a VERY interesting topic to me at present.

I have been thinking about ways of classifying dissonance and how this can be used as a creative tool, a simple example being sound a Db major 7 (in the key of C) then swiftly grabbing a C major root. Another example would be the second note of Bernstein's 'Maria' - sharp 4. This seems to me to be a different type of animal a 'melodic dissonance' if you like.

When people talk of 'introducing spice', it always leave me dissatisfied, because I would like to understand the hierarchies that control the dissonance and produce all those lovely labyrinths of sound and use these controls myself - methodically.

Anyone care to chip in?

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 11/09/14 01:44 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
Hi,

To understand how dissonance works, a study of two-part counterpoint would be very helpful.

Gradus ad Parnassum by Johann Fux (just to clarify, 'Fux' rhymes with 'books') is pretty much where it all began.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Joseph_Fux

I read a translation of his treatise a few years ago and it gave me a great deal to ponder.

One of my favorite books is C.H. Kitson's Counterpoint for Beginners. Kitson presents his theory very clearly and his book is straightforward to read. It's also very concise.

Counterpoint for Beginners

The thing with counterpoint (or contrapuntal harmony) is that it is how music was created before the notion of vertical chords came to be understood. The only tools that composers had to work with were 'melodic patterns', 'consonance' and 'dissonance'. J.S. Bach followed the principles of counterpoint with his compositions.

As counterpoint grew through 2-, 3- and 4-part creations, musicians eventually came to see a consistency in vertical alignments of notes - with time, these consistencies came to be recognised as the chords we understand today.

Understanding the mechanics of dissonance and consonance is fundamental to contrapuntal compositions. My experience is that the knowledge is also fundamental to understanding how chords work at their most conceptual level.

I suggest you get hold of Kitson's book. It was published in 1927 by Oxford University Press.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Noel, I have read Fux and others. Fux was writing before the emergence of equal temperament when modes were Ecclesiastical, before the major scale was a universal. I found it difficult and ultimately unconvincing - 'devil in musica' and all that.

The Romantics brought this on a notch, then Debussy, Jazz, Schoenberg and, I am sure you know....the twelve tones always available as a palette...

I guess I should have said something like 'codify dissonance pianistically', because that's what I am working on.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Bi-tonality using the circle of fifths relationship between keys is as good a starting point as any for controlling the level of dissonance I would have thought. Combining triads from keys that are distantly related in the circle will obviously give higher levels of dissonance than those lying closer together. This approach stresses superimposition rather than substitution and is a good way of retaining a connection to the original harmony of a tune if you're reharmonizing.

The other tools you might employ if you're thinking harmonically of non-triadic structures is Paul Hindemith's notion of interval tonics and degree of dissonance of each interval type.

So Maj 2nds, Maj3rds 5ths, maj6ths and maj7ths all have lower note tonics. minor 2nds m3rds 4ths m6ths and m7ths all have upper note tonics. the b5th being ambiguous in this regard.

Using the distance between interval tonics as a guide, you can easily see that chord or line formed by maj3rds built on C and D is less dissonant than one yielded by maj3rds on C and Eb, which in turn is less dissonant than maj3rds starting on C and F# for example.

Things obviously become more complex when you factor in the inherent dissonance level of the intervals you employ. But even here you can see that a chord made up of Major 7ths on C and F is less dissonant than one with Maj7ths on C and Eb.

Hindemith's classification of chords in terms of dissonance level is based on their intervallic makeup with the most dissonant being structures containing the highest number of adjacent minor seconds, more than one flatted fifth and whether or not the resultant chord suggest a tonic.
A useful comparison is Ernst Krenek's classification which i must confess i didn't know of until I read :

consonance and dissonance

Hope this is nearer to what you had in mind.

Alan

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Today I was playing Over the Rainbow - as a jazz ballad. Running up the chord to a big Eb t the end both my hands are over middle C and ready to play triads an octave apart.
Standard stuff and of course it will do, but...

I wanted to put a bit of uncertainty into it, just a question begged at the end, nothing too drastic. I tried various options and then settled on replacing the third in the left with a ninth. For me ninths and sixth are closely sonorous and can easily be exchanged. This note creates a little damage to the integrity of the major end, but just that little I was seeking.
I can feel that ninths and sixths are diatonic and although not stated in the chord are pretty straightforward alternatives. Ninths, sixths, then what? I don't have a hierarchy for selection, concord to discord.

For me the major seventh sticks out big time, its the leading tone begging for the octave a very strong pull, not at all like its sister the dominant 7th. Using s major 7th to replace dominant 7th or vica versa. This again is a question of classifying dissonance, most text point out that the dominant seventh has a triton built from third to 7th - fair point, but to my ears a major seventh seems more dissonant. Why is this so?

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Some books that you might like that address this topic are:

"This is Your Brain On Music" Daniel Levitin
"A Natural History of the Senses" Diane Ackerman

At least I believe I remember reading on consonance/dissonance in those books and they come from a non-musician's viewpoint as to why the brain of MOST people tends to like consonance and defines it, for the most part, similarly across cultures. The microtonal music of the east is an exception.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I see the Major 7th to Octave leading tone progression you describe (for example C,B to C, C) as implicit in a V to I cadence of G7 to C. It's what is known as a suspended cadence where the V has a 3rd (B) and a 4th (C) which anticipates the tonic C. The absence of a b7th (F) just means that there is no voice leading to the Major third of the C tonic (E) should you wish to include it in the cadence.

Similarly if I played the b7th (C,Bb) I feel it does have a strongly implied resolution, this time a semi-tone downwards to the Major 6th C,A. Again it's an implied V to I cadence partially stated. This time the cadence is C7 to F major with A functioning as the third of F which is the tone omitted on this occasion but as in the above example, strongly implied nonetheless.

As for an order of dissonance on the tonic I would say the next tone you might try is the b5th preceded by a bII dominant. After that you could try the Maj7#5. Next up in the dissonance food chain would be a b3 against the 3rd giving you the Maj7#9 chord. I would be careful with a b9th; it's best voiced as 1, maj3rd, maj7, b9, 5 but still not to your liking even when using a bII alt7 as the dominant to lead in.
The 4th doesn't sound resolved enough in a third based context, the b7th on the tonic sounds okay in a blues progression but not on a standard maybe!

Bear in mind that truly dissonant sounding chords wouldn't so much substitute one tone for another but play both together (i,e b7 against maj7, b3 against maj 3rd)and with more than one semi-tone clash present simultaneously). Including colour tones, extensions or changing the chord quality is not necessarily by itself dissonant sounding. There has to be a feeling of 'disagreement' or contradiction in the voicing to some degree where the implied function and tonality is obscured.

Alan

Apprentice
Apprentice
I am a student of the ideas associated with improv and jazz improv.

This is also called tension and release. In jazz you get disonance from the chords that are in play and your use of the notes that bring about the dissonance. Flat 9, Sharp 9, Flat 5 sharp 5. I'm learning about this stuff from a guy that lives in my computer and comes out whenever I want, it's like having your favorite uncle come over and show you amazing stuff for next to noting.99centguitarlessons.com, See my post in Woodshedding for too many details.

There are other ways: take two or three notes from one of your favorite licks and play them up or down a half step as part of your like. You can simply state your lick and restate it a half step higher or lower. It should not be a very long lick people will think your lost.

As you delve into the whys and how's of jazz or just spicing up country blues licks {many class on this @99cent...] you will come across the idea of displacing a scale from it's home root. These things were a revelation to me. There is a class called Major Scale Usage @99cent. it is based in blues and pentatonics. Extra easy to learn and will change how you sound in a blues setting in an hour or so. The class is not that long but you might need to woodshed the idea a little. Check our John Scofield's On Improvisation video or DVD. There is a whole section of displaced major minor and dominant pentatonics. i.e. for altered chord X begin a minor pentatonic from the flat six of the chord. That's just a for instance I don't know the exact chord he used. BIAB is made for stuff like this. There is much more to this endless learning curve, that's what keeps you practicing. If you are not evolving you're are in some sort of stasis. What comes next is not good.

Ron

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
Veteran
Veteran
Dissonance is in the ear of the beholder. With education and familiarity, what one originally thought was dissonant may become less so, or even desirably consonant, over time and perhaps with practice. Originally an improvisor by ear, once I learned more music theory as a teenager, a lot of the mystery cleared up and I suddenly heard beauty in what had been dissonance based on confusion.

I tried a quarter-tone trumpet last year, and that was pretty hard to get my head around, but I think if I owned and practiced one, I might make a go of it.

Zero, one of my favorite chord examples along the lines of your maj7 is the #9 chord, with a major third in the lower octave and a flat nine minor third on top. Chords like this are so wonderful for a jazz improvisor because they can be taken almost anywhere. What comes next can be very good (yes, I know what you meant Ron!).

Last edited by Matt Finley; 11/27/14 12:41 PM. Reason: got ahead of myself - sorry

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Zero, one of my favorite chord examples along the lines of your maj7 is the #9 chord, with a major third in the lower octave and a flat nine on top. Chords like this are so wonderful for a jazz improvisor because they can be taken almost anywhere. What comes next can be very good (yes, I know what you meant Ron!).

thank you Matt exploring...

Veteran
Veteran
Re-reading this, I meant to write minor third on top. That is enharmonically the sharp nine. Sorry, Zero. Post has been edited.

[The major third in the lower octave and the minor third in the upper octave creates another interval of a major seventh, with the accompanying tension.]

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Just been watching the video for Cubase 8 Pro's new feature "Chord Pads". I think a graphic they are using gets somewhere near where I am trying to get to with 'classifying dissonance'

I recommend checking out the video on their site. They have a animated graphic in Cubase which lets you select a root, it then shows you the 'proximity' of various chords in onion skin form - four in the first circle, 37 chords in all, for each note. They talk about 'adaptive voicing'.

If I had a mind map something like this...

Z

IMHO, there are two uses for dissonance:
1) to retain the listener's attention
2) to prove a philosophical point

the first point is evident in a lot of Beatles chord progressions where they borrow chords from other keys to mix things up.

the second point is mostly used by jazz and classical composers where they use dissonance to move to another segment of the song, or to move the original idea to a darker or even lighter aspect, etc

my favourite usage of dissonance is the ambiguity we hear in "the girl from ipanema". It's hard to solo to that chord progression unless you totally let go and just imagine yourself at the beach or something since there's not a lot to hold on to because of the changes in key.

I write about singing and voice techniques in my singing blog
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero
For me the major seventh sticks out big time, its the leading tone begging for the octave a very strong pull, not at all like its sister the dominant 7th. Using s major 7th to replace dominant 7th or vica versa. This again is a question of classifying dissonance, most text point out that the dominant seventh has a triton built from third to 7th - fair point, but to my ears a major seventh seems more dissonant. Why is this so?

The tension and resolution of the 7th vs. maj7th come from different places.

The physical explanation of tension can be often be explained by looking at the overtone series. Tones and invervals at the lower end of the series tend to be heard as less dissonant, while those at the upper end (excluding octave doublings) tend to be more dissonance.

I say "tend to" because musical context has a large part in how we interpret tension.

The first 8 overtones for C are C, C, G, C, E, G, Bb, C.

From that perspective, the Bb should actually be a member of the C major scale. So it's not surprising that it's fairly consonant. The decision of which way to lean the 7th of the scale - to the B or Bb has been a matter of debate over time.

Additionally, the Bb in the C7 chord signals that it doesn't belong to the key of C major. The most closely related major scale it does belong to is the key of F major, which is why the Bb helps the C7 nicely resolves to the F.

One can also propose a set of consonant intervals based on the overtone series: octave, fifth/fourth, third/sixth, seventh/second. From that perspective, the interval from the root to the flatted seventh ranks fairly high on the dissonance chart.

In contrast, the B in the Cmaj7 doesn't quite have the same physical justification. There are logical reasons why you might want to fill the gap between the 6th and 8th tones of the scale, but they aren't strongly supported by the physics of the overtone series.

The interval of a minor second also ranks higher than a major second as a tension.

Finally, the maj7 doesn't create the same sort of harmonic implications as the dominant 7th chord. Sure, it's a 7th tension (of sorts), but it doesn't create the same kind of V->I movement that dominant 7th creates.

So there is plenty of justification to saying the maj7 chord is more dissonant than the dominant 7th.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:
So there is plenty of justification to saying the maj7 chord is more dissonant than the dominant 7th.

I hear what you're saying but as a chord member the presence of a minor second/major 7 has to be weighed against the other intervals that make up the chord. When viewed in isolation a minor second or major 7th is of course more dissonant than a major second.

However in the context of Cmaj7, the effect of two major thirds a minor third and a perfect fifth between the major third third and the major seventh when voiced as 1, maj3, 5, maj7 effectively dilute the minor 2nd and make the chord as an entity sound like the resolution it most often is.

If it were otherwise the tension would require resolution to another chord and as you rightly point out it doesn't have that pull towards a tonic as it is the tonic in itself. Even if we have the minor second as the uppermost interval 1, 3 5, 7, 1 it still doesn't negate the the effect of the other voices.

Similarly when considering the dominant 7th as a chord remember also that as well as a major second it contains the all important b5th which gives it it's restless character, demanding a stepwise resolution to the third and the root of the tonic chord. It also contains successive minor thirds built on the major 3rd forming a diminished triad.

Alan

M
M
Dissonance is a very important part of music, without out it, music would get pretty bland. Just like you need black/white, day/night, good/evil.. You need the yin/yang to make something complete.. a dissonant note at the top of a chord, can be very beautiful..

I have discovered, when working with scales,, putting dissonant notes on the and of the beat, sometimes, giving them a shorter duration, and softer velocity, will let you get away with a lot.

Remember you jump over the dissonant notes, and rest a little longer on the consonant notes. .

Off course you could change this to make a certain musical point.. yes, dissonance is every bit as important as consonance in notes.

Mark Styles

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mark Styles
Dissonance is a very important part of music, without out it, music would get pretty bland. Just like you need black/white, day/night, good/evil.. You need the yin/yang to make something complete.. a dissonant note at the top of a chord, can be very beautiful..

I have discovered, when working with scales,, putting dissonant notes on the and of the beat, sometimes, giving them a shorter duration, and softer velocity, will let you get away with a lot.

Remember, you jump over the dissonant notes, and rest a little longer on the consonant notes. .

Off course you could change this to make a certain musical point.. yes, dissonance is every bit as important as consonance in notes.

Mark Styles

Unpacking this a little. For my ears, Consonance can fall on any beat, but dissonance leans towards the off beats. Obviously rules can be broken.
I was wondering about the classification and function of dissonance. Beyond the chord tones , as they stand in a modal position, it seems to me that the other tones sound dissonant according to their function - the Phrygian chord III, for example implies a flat 9th, a tone belonging to the key, as I think Ray pointed out, beyonf this relationship what about the other tones? Do they have a hierarchy?

I confess I am not really sure of the question, if I was then the answer would be implied

Z

U
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
U
Dissonance is in the ear of the beholder. With education and familiarity, what one originally thought was dissonant may become less so, or even desirably consonant, over time and perhaps with practice. Originally an improvisor by ear, once I learned more music theory as a teenager, a lot of the mystery cleared up and I suddenly heard beauty in what had been dissonance based on confusion.

Right on, I experienced this and a whole lot of stuff became prettier and more accessible. History has proved that, too. The more we hear something "new", the more we tend to "accept" it over time. I think it works that way with time signatures, too.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Uncle Mickey

Right on, I experienced this and a whole lot of stuff became prettier and more accessible. History has proved that, too. The more we hear something "new", the more we tend to "accept" it over time. I think it works that way with time signatures, too.

Dissonance is only partly in the ear of the beholder - sort of.

A perfect fifth can't sound dissonant, it's always going to be pure - look at an oscilloscope to see why.

All the notes have a defined physical character. However, we can gradually become aurally acclimatised to a dissonant interval - psychologically and it can therefore become more familiar and less of a surprise. It sticks out from the terrain in the same spiky way, but we are accustomed to the feel of it, it becomes less of a contentious issue for the ear. It does not become less dissonant though- physically the wave form is the same and interacts with the other waves according to physical laws.

Western ears have gradually accepted a larger pallet since Debussy ish.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
To me, dissonance is a musical and subjective term, and it is in the ear of the beholder, rather than being explainable based on harmonics etc. I would define dissonance as a voicing of notes that sound unpleasant to the listener.

It depends on the style being played, as well as the people listening to it. For example, the flat 5 in desafinado (slightly out of tune) was humorously referred to as "out of Tune" in the title likely because many people would hear it as dissonant. Yes that same flat 5 is heard everywhere and prominently, including pop tunes, and it is not heard as dissonant or "out of tune".

There are some intervals that can make a nice chord sound dissonant though. An example is a CMaj7 voiced from low to high as B,E,G,C. The B to C creates a flat 9 interval, and it sounds really bad. Change that C to a D and it sounds sweet again - even though we have introduced a "ninth" which some people would consider dissonant because it is a non chord tone.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,716
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197