Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Nothing to Lose (psychedelic rock version)

Nothing to Lose (Folk version)

I posted the folk version of this song about a week ago and Floyd commented that he could hear a psychedelic rock version in there somewhere. I tried and failed to make anything besides a dogs breakfast. So I asked Floyd if he could help with the transformation. He said that since he got me into this "mess" in the first place he would help me out. I sent him the BIAB file and all the vocals I had recorded and he put together this version, quick stix, in usual Floyd style.

Comments Welcome

Edited to add link to folk version for those who missed it.

Last edited by JosieC; 11/26/14 08:39 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really liked the first version, but I LOVE this version! You have completely captured the sound and vibe here - great work guys!

Bob

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Floyd certainly has the golden ears!! This song works great in this style-I agree with Bob that it's even better. B3 is a perfect compliment to retroize it! This is great-a real treat!! Good work both of you. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like both versions. Well done.

That fj is a regular George Martin. grin

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Jo !:))

This is just superb !!!!....
must be one of your absolutely
best if not the one !!!!
I love this !!!!great !!!

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow!

Y'all NAILED it! Fillmore West, here we come!

I already liked the original song, and I was very intrigued by Floyd's observation that it would work as a west coast rock adaptation. In fact, I volunteered to participate by contributing a guitar track. Unfortunately, as soon as the opportunity to participate happened, so did a bunch of other things, and I'm afraid my contribution fell through the cracks. On one hand, I apologize to Floyd and JoAnne for writing a check I couldn't cash.

HOWEVER... I believe things tend to work out for the better, and I am absolutely sure in retrospect that what Floyd did with this song is so much better than any contribution I could have made! Floyd has a supernatural omniscience about how to make music that appeals to the musical sensibilities of listeners, and it is no small thing when Floyd offers to collaborate.

You had me right from the get-go with that intro! And the steady bass-drums groove really sealed the deal for me! Others have mentioned the organ, and I'd have to agree that it plugs the song directly into the music scene of that period... but it's not necessarily a Jefferson Airplane sound. In my mind it evoked images of 3 dog Night, especially the song's ending. Regardless of the inference, it's a very good association indeed!

One thing about JoAnne's delivery in this version that really stood out to me is that the backing track really encouraged and inspired a whole new energy in her presentation. The original version was much more tentative and emotive. I must admit to being a real sucker for strings and beautiful harmonies in the same song. (I've got to ask... did you record new vocals for this version? Or were the original vocals sped up to match the new tempo? Because it seems to me that there's more enthusiasm in this version. So, if you DIDN'T re-do the vocals, it is the energy of the arrangement spilling over into how I hear your singing. Conversely, if you DID re-do the vocals, it's interesting to hear how the arrangement influenced the energy in your voice.)

In the final analysis, I REALLY like both versions.. but interestingly , for completely different reasons! This serves as an example of how a song can succeed with different audiences by approaching the topic in a new way. If I had to articulate what I like about each version, the obvious observation is that Joanne's version sings from her soul. It is her natural presentation, and so it naturally works.

Floyd's version draws a whole bevy of new considerations into the equation, which adds interest and complexity in ways we would probably not expect to hear from JoAnne alone. Which is one of the most compelling aspects of collaboration: it forces us out of the comfort zone and introduces us to new ways of looking at our music.

I bow to you both! What an audio feast for this Thanksgiving day! I am thankful to call you my friends.

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Good job Floyd and Josie. I agree this really captures the 60's vibe. Maybe the Wee Five sound. Two things come to mind. First, another 60's vibe this captures is that many songs were re-arranged from one genre to another by 60's groups. Second is to not overlook it takes a well written, quality song to accomplish such a feat.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,

This is cool. I like the harmonies, the doubled vocals and the B3. And I'm relieved actually because I had the notion with him saying psychedelic and Grace Slick that FJ wanted you to emulate White Rabbit and scream feed your head feed your head with your lyrics. grin

Both versions sound good. Personally, I like the lyrics to this song a lot which is why I still prefer the original version best.

This is fun to listen to and well done all around.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne,

I liked the original but I like the new version better.
Great job by Floyd.
I wonder how the harmonies are done and like Pat I'd like to know if the vocals are just sped up. If so it's astounding how good they sound.
I really enjoyed this adventure.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Y'all...

A quick note before I have to go get the turkey out...

A little about how this was done... Joanne sent me the SGU and all of her vocals - 3 takes of the main and 5 harmonies - a high, 2 lows, and 2 generated.

It makes you realize how cool an SGU file actually is... Joanne had done the hard part - setting up the chords properly with part markers in the right places... (and recorded all the vocals). I swapped out all of the instruments from the original. I liked the original - Joanne did a tremendous job on the folk version. I merely had an idea that the same song could be done in this other fashion as well - the lyric and its phonetic cadence suggested something to me...

I listened to various things from the era to pick instruments - 12 string electrics, a busy bass (those guys always wanted to be heard), a busy drum, an organ a tambourine loop... with the intent that everyone would be playing by the end - they were bands, first and foremost...

Joanne's lead vocals were all VERY close to each other. So I chose one and hit it with A Nectar patch - "Rock - 1969". Hit one of the others with a different patch and panned them L & R by 10%... They made a great doubled vocal - a lot of "space". I spread out ALL the harmonies and hit them with "group" patches from Nectar - and made them loud enough to "be evident". It all came together quickly. The vocal sound fit the band sound nicely.

The original song was 85 bpm. The new version worked at that speed, but I decided to see if I could increase it without "losing the vocal" - and I figured that any artifacts would actually "work"... I settled on 100 bpm - the instruments remained stable and the vocal had a tiny bit of effect added - that, again, works for the style...

Joanne deserves a ton of credit for what a cool write this is - and all the up-front work she did...

BIAB (PGMusic) deserves a bunch, too, for making something like this possible (an fairly simple)...

RealTracks in song: 1009:Bass, Electric, HardRockThrash Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~1029:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~1032:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: PopAmericanEv^6-a:SdStkBB4, b:SnrBB
Tambourine Loop 132bpm

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, Thanks for the detailed description of how your magic works! VERY interesting!

In light of my previous comments about the energy in JoAnne's vocals, it is especially interesting to hear that you used the original vocal tracks. Wow. I totally didn't expect that to be the case.. I hear the two presentations very differently... and now I know that the difference comes from your arrangement, NOT because her part was sung with more enthusiasm. Cool stuff! (Something for all of us to plug into our thinking as we go forward with our projects! )

Still, the magician's technique is part of what makes magic what it is. You can describe what you do all day long, but the patented Floyd Jane alchemy can NEVER be cloned! You're one of those guys who is often imitated but never duplicated!

And we like it that way

;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi All
Happy thanks giving to all my American friends. I hope you didn’t all eat too much turkey.

This certainly was an interesting exercise.

I think for me the biggest lesson was one that Pat as alluded to. That it is that the arrangement more than the vocal delivery can affect the result. Floyd told me this on another project that we collaborated on. He said me that the way to get intensity in a recording was through the instrumentation rather than through the vocal. This is why he records the vocal against a very basic backing of bass, rhythm and drums and then add the “sweetners” to intensify the emotion. I have been using this technique ever since.

Floyd is right. BIAB is the most wonderful tool for collaborations.

THANK YOU, Floyd, for taking me on this journey and thank you Peter Gannon for such a wonderful product that I use everyday of my life. I cannot wait for 2015 to be released. Thank you Pat, Greg, Charlie, Josie, Guenter, Dani and Bob (times two) for taking the time to listen and to comment.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,
I liked the 1st version and now I like the 2nd version equally.

Thank you floyd for your break down, I have many "2 version songs" and will try this method myself.

BIAB is such a wonderful program, I too look forward to 2015 because at each new version I update some of my old songs in this method, but with not so much success!!

excellent

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
and thank YOU Josie, for adding your own follow-up thoughts and observations to the thread!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne and floyd, When I first heard the song I didn't think floyd's notion of psychedelic would work. Now I stand corrected. floyd, your idea of easy may seem a little more complicated for the rest of us. Great job putting this all together. Now having said all that and realizing that floyd can certainly make his vision a reality, I still like version #1. Thanks to you both for posting this interesting project. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

Although we liked the first version very much, we must admit this really adds something.
Great version! Compliments for Floyd too!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is an excellent version of the song. I think I like both songs equally as well.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Alyn – Thanks so much for giving the new version a listen. I am waiting (not so patiently) for my 2015 to arrive. It would seem that the South African leg of the courier service is via donkey cart. I want to get going on mixing my Dylan and Denver album. There are so many new features I would like to use.

Pat – thanks so much. I am glad it has been an informative exercise.

Tommy – I agree that Floyd makes things like this seem easy. I tried to do exactly what he described but all I created was a dog’s breakfast.

Rob, Ann Marie and Scott – Thanks for giving the new version a listen and for commenting.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to the folk version...and the rock version.

I like them both.

I don't think I would call the rock version "psychedelic" however. It does have a strong 60's west coast vibe to it.

Groovy.....yes.... but not psychedelic.

Strawberry Alarm Clock..... that's psychedelic. I equate that style with the guitar playing..... and overall sound.

None of that style mislabeling takes a single thing away from the song in either version..... nice work from both of you on this.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hello Josie,
I like both versions
Brite folk version, nice drive in the PR version.
Your voice is great. I believe everything you sing.

@Floyd
Thanks for sharing your production tricks, now I know what you mean with "give them some space"

I feel quite humbled in your company

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,466
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195