Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
I folks:

I'm relatively new to BIAB. I have BIAB2014, received as a gift. It came with a few Real Tracks and such. Not many mind you, but enough to make me appreciate how cool they are.

Anyways, I'm trying to make my first BIAB file. I wanted to take the sheet music for Vince Guaraldi's O Tannenbaum and make a BIAB file to use to play along as my band while I play on my upright piano.

Please understand, I'm kind of new at this. But I'm looking for some advice.

I created a new file and chose ZZJAZWAL.STY Jazz Waltz Style to get a 3/4 score going. (Took me the longest time to figure out time signature is tied to the style).

I edited my song settings to have (1) chorus. I really plan on manually creating the sheet music measures end to end, not really in a form of AABA or anything. Just plan on entering in all the bars manually for the whole song.

I've added the first 16 bars using chord notation in my BIAB file. WHen I play it, it kind of sounds bad.

So I was looking around at the Real Drums I got with my version. I Found something called 'jazz brushes' that seems to make it sound better. (it took me a while to figure out that most of my Real Drums are incompatible with 3/4 time).

Anyways, I guess it's a long winded way of asking if anyone has ideas for better Bass, drum, or other RealTracks (?) that might make the accompaniment sound better.

I have very few (maybe 6) basic Acoustic base RealTracks. Accoustic base simple and very simple work, but are boring. The four others just don't seem to match the feel of the song.

THe original Guaraldi version doesn't really have much more than drums (brushes), base, piano, I think.

But I was wondering if there's some other suggestions that might add some interest to the accompaniment? Maybe jazz guitar or something.

Anyways, this is just all for practice. It is my hope that I can use it to practice by.

I took a year of Jazz piano lessons and can kind of play the first 16 bars just by sheet reading. I never learned improv, but i"m hoping to be able to use this to eventually practice my own improvisations over the 2nd 16 bars, and conclude with a repeat of the first 16 bars.

This is just for fun, just for learning.

I'm a 49 year old jazz piano novice hoping to be able to play better and maybe learn enough to improve with this one song. THen on to the next!

I know I have years of practice in front of me. But this Christmas, I would really like to see if i can play this one all the way through and sound not half bad as a Christmas present to me. I've hacked this song for years and never really got serious about getting through end to end.

Thanks for reading (if you've read this far). I'd love to see if you have any ideas.

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
Jazz Piano student, Oil Painter
My Oil Paintings

Veteran
Veteran
Hi. Welcome to BIAB and to this forum.

First, I want to compliment you on your attitude. Sometimes first posters get on here and rant about what they don't understand. You recognize this is an incredibly powerful program and we look forward to working with you as you improve.

You have part of the solution in your question: get more styles and RealTracks if you want more choices and versatility. We often find people come to that conclusion after working a little with the starter "Pro" version, which I assume you bought. It is likely more economical to upgrade to the MegaPak than to purchase individual RealTrack add-ons, and if you decide to do that, call PG Music Sales. They are most fair and will help you.

As to the specific song, a couple of ideas. First, yes, the style will set the time signature but that's not all there is to it. You can use a RealTrack designed for 4/4 and it will play in 3/4, simply dropping the fourth beat. The recording from A Charlie Brown Christmas moves from 3/4 to a nice easy 4/4 at 126 bpm. BIAB requires you start to with 4/4 and use the F5 key to alter each bar you wish to have a different time signature, including, in this case, bar one.

I assume you are looking for a straight-ahead "light" jazz waltz style to match the marvelous work of Vince Guaraldi. I compose jazz and I always use the BIAB RealTracks for bass and drums, but sometimes at higher tempos I prefer the MIDI piano. BIAB also has SuperTracks, which are also MIDI, and they can be amazing but sometimes need a little editing. Finally, in the menu where you choose a RealTrack, look for an option near the bottom that makes it a Simpler arrangement. The faster the tempo, the more you may want to invoke this option.

I love the jazz guitar sounds in BIAB, but I think your particular song would be better without guitar.

For your song, it's hard for me to remember what styles you have, as I've had them all for decades. If you get stuck, find a place to upload your song (like Dropbox), and you can place a link to it in a post here. We can then look at it and perhaps help. You will learn best by doing it yourself, but there may already be a BIAB version of that song already done by someone, if you are interesting in studying it.

That's probably enough, or too much, for now. Ask for any clarification you need, and just play with the program a lot; you never know what you will stumble onto.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
OP Offline
Thanks for the quick response, Matt.

I will look into the mega pack. ANd in the mean time, I"m going to see if I can make it a bit better sounding for now to play along with.

In the Guaraldi tune, he's really doing all the magic. THe bass and drums (brushes) add wonderful support. I'm no Guaraldi. i can play the notes from the sheet music just fine in terms of the first sixteen bars.

I'll dabble a bit more with what I've got and just get in front of the piano.

Man...what a difference REalTracks and Realdrums makes compared to some of the other options.

I really need to get more style packs, though. THere's hardly anything in there 3/4 time in a Jazz Waltz.

Last: Matt, I stopped by and listend to your clips of Brazillian Wish. All I can say is wow! I normally don't like horns because they are often too bright and they hurt my ears. But the richness of the brass in those clips is just amazing! So wonderful and rich!

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
My Oil Paintings

Veteran
Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fh133ZO1AE

Matt, got it right of course, that swing ain't 3/4! Nice rendition though. Good luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bubbawny
.. I normally don't like horns because they are often too bright and they hurt my ears. ...

crazy hehe Merry Christmas.

OP Offline
Hey JazzManDan...

I didn't notice, but you are right, the the 2nd 16 bars starts at 4/4 time.

It also seems as if Vince is playing the first 16 bars kind of rubato. It's hard for me to hear the 1,2,3 ...1,2,3...while he's playing. But the sheet music ("A Charlie Brown Christmas") is definitely 3/4.

This is why I'm a student and he's a master!

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice the time signature change.

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
My Oil Paintings

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks! And yes, he plays rubato in 3/4, then a nice steady 4/4 swing at 126 bpm. That's why I gave you the tricks for how to do that.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
OP Offline
muito obrigado

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
My Oil Paintings

S
Expert
Expert
S
Originally Posted By: bubbawny
. . . It came with a few Real Tracks and such. Not many mind you, but enough to make me appreciate how cool they are.

you could have a look here UserTrack List

S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Robert: Usertracks are a good suggestion for the time being and... you may want to wait till Dec ??, for upgrades as PG Music usually comes out with Xmas deals for BIAB.

Welcome to the club.
Cheers

OP Offline
Thank you.

I was wondering if they did have any holiday specials...

smile

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
My Oil Paintings

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Nice paintings. Whimsical subjects considering what you are seeing when you look out your window in Elma this week.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
OP Offline
Thanks, Charlie.

You know, like with many things in my life, I paint to escape to places I'd like to be at, adventuring. Western New York can be pretty, as can central New York with the Fingerlakes.

But I pretend I'm actually at that place while I paint, and then after wards, the completed paintings take me away again!

smile

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
My Oil Paintings

OP Offline
FOrgot to say thank you, Charlie.

And, yes, the week was a tough one. We had six feet of snow. My wife and I live in the area that got hit the hardest.

It was no fun, I tell you that much!

smile

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
My Oil Paintings

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
do you compose music to accompany your paintings

not that they need it but just a thought

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
OP Offline
That's an interesting idea...composing a tune for each painting. But no, I don't do that.

I do listen to music while I paint. It's amazing how much a song can affect the mood of a piece.

I have times when I listen to Jazz, and I have my usual collection of 80's rock / pop. ZZ Top, Cars, Sting, The Police, Madonna, Dire Straits, Billy Idol.

I have to get some Pat Benatar and Heart and some Blondie Greatest hits to go along with that collection.

I love to have rock/pop going as it gets the energy and vitality going while I paint!

smile

Robert P. Britton, Jr.
My Oil Paintings

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,109
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185