Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Am house cleaning along with some backup's.
Not counting the 2015 drive winging its way home.
Methinks I have 3 other PG drives. Maybe only 2...
I do have the bonus CD/DVD's from years past.

Would like to delete content and use the PG HD's for quickie backups.

Is it safe to do this?

Thank you!

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Veteran
Veteran
Keep at least one current external backup copy.
That's all the advice I have.

I keep a couple, but I also have 6 hard drives in this system and many more drives stacked up in a cabinet, both PG and otherwise.

Here is how it's done at rharv house;
RB/BB on C: drive
Active copy of the external drive on a 500 gig internal hard drive (E:) and I run the realtracks from there.
Incoming audio tracks are recorded to F: (an empty 500 gig drive) and later saved/moved to G: or E: depending on use.

And the drive from PGMusic sits all nice and shiny in it's case .. until I wanna work on the laptop. I also make sure to keep it up-to-date so there are multiple good copies here but only one in use at a time.

Older PGMusic drives have been put to service in other ways, as you intend. I don't use them for 'backups' due to their size, but I have saved programming projects to them and took them to work with me when it was bigger than my thumb drive could hold.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
rharv,

Excellent writeup....
I will definitely keep the new 2015 version, intact.

Have 350meg, 500meg, and 1tera for backups, away from the house.
The little ones will be great for the more recent Usertrack work.
Hate to lose that.

thanks

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hi rharv,
I have just purchased my upgrade...
In my current setup, I have BIAB installed on C drive... My BIAB arrangements are all saved on C... All of the Real Tack are resident on an external drive... My original 2014 Audiophile drive is store in a safe place.
My question is... when I receive the 2015 Audiophile upgrade, can I format my external drive, copy all the files from the 2015 disk and then run the install to upgrade?
Got myself into a bit of a pickle last time so just trying to avoid problems t his time...
Many thanks in advance

Veteran
Veteran
Here is my suggestion

I would use a program like WinZip or 7Zip or WinRAR and zip up the BIAB folder on your C: drive (this is to make a quick backup in case something goes wrong. Do the same for the RealBand folder. Once you have a successful installation, you can delete these zip files, but if you have to get back to where you were, it makes sure you're not dead in the water. Why do this? Because, then you can safely install the new version (2015) on top of the old version. That way you make sure you keep any user styles or one-time-offer PGMusic styles and content (it happens), and any user created content that may be located in the BIAB folder currently.

You shouldn't neet to format the external drive. If you have downloaded or created any UserTracks, you want to make sure you keep them and they are located under the RealTracks folder.

So, when you get your 2015 hard drive, you should just be able to run the setup program on that drive and tell it that BIAB should be on the C: drive in the same folder as your 2014 setup. Also tell it that your RealTracks and RealDrums are on another folder and just point it to the external drive, so it uses the same folders as where RealTracks and RealDrums are currently located.

Let 'er rip and once done, you should have a functioning 2015 BIAB and RealBand setup. Once you are satisfied that everything works, you can delete the Zip files (or back them up to some other media, whatever makes you comfortable).

I don's see a need to reformat your external drive, however.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Sounds like good advice... Many thanks John
Now I just need to wait for FedEx to do their stuff!!

Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I'd install over top also.

Then you have one original 2015 disk and one upgraded, full working copy.

Veteran
Veteran
Just wondering about the "bonus" content that changes each year and is included only during the introductory period. It would seem to be most difficult for a user to keep track of the bonus content included with past year purchases. I also believe that in past years the bonus content has been included on the hard drive instead of a separate DVD or CD. I worry a user may inadvertently erase past "included as bonus" content when erasing spare hard drives.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
As others alluded to: formatting the external drive guarantees you lose any 'bonus' features, any bonus or one time apps, etc (along with any work/settings/songs you may have saved on it along the way).

Better to install the new version over the old to keep these features and keep the new external drive as your backup. Worst case scenario is you can format that drive and copy over, but I wouldn't start there!

Veteran
Veteran
Install the latest BiaB over whatever version you have on your computer then backup all of your hard drives to external HDs. I use Acronis but there are a number of backup utilities available, some come with Windows.

I keep my externals on a shelf not connected to my computer. Only when it comes time to backup do I plug them in but YMMV. The main thing is backup, that way you diminish the chance of losing all of your bonus features.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I've been installing BIAB on top of itself since version 8 and never had a problem with that (well, one time, but it turned out to be something else on my computer that PGMusic helped me identify and fix). That would be version 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2007.5, 2008, 2008.5, 2009, 2009.5, 2010, 2010.5, 2011, 2011.5, 2012, 2012.5, 2013, and 2014.

So, yes, I would definitely upgrade on top of the previous version. All the add-ons stay put, all the changed files get updated, and all the new files get installed.

But, as I've said before, I always do a backup of my BIAB folder before doing the upgrade, so that if something goes wrong, it's quick and easy to get back to where I before starting the update. That is one of the huge advantages of BIAB NOT writing everything it needs to the registry.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
That's the time consuming part, but safest.
Once you install everything over the existing and know it's working .. it's time to back THAT version up ..

I wish I had Source Control for my PGMusic products. If I could just click 'Update Working Copy' and that (whichever) drive would update to the latest version from my assigned 'source' .. or revert back to a previous version if needed .. a fella can dream.

SVN smile

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Just an update on this...
I have just received BIAB 2015... grin
Installing program files on C:
Installing Real Tracks etc on F
The installation program tells me that it will only install .wma file as it seems to think that drive F is not an external drive... For the record this drive is 3TB and has nothing other than BIAB files on it... there is plenty of free space.
HOw can I get the .wav files onto this drive?

Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

Did you purchase the Audiophile version of BIAB/RB?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hi Noel
Yes, I purchased the audiophile version.
Cheers
Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

Hopefully someone who has the Audiophile version will read this soon and answer your question. Unfortunately, I have never owned the audiophile edition.

From the little I have picked up from reading posts, your easiest option would probably be to simply copy all files from the PG Music drive to your 3TB drive.

Then all you would need to do is to point BIAB to the F: drive to find the Realtracks. BIAB automatically selects WAV in preference to WMA (even though the Audiophile version comes with both).

Someone who has the necessary experience will soon see your post and help out.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hi Noel,
Thanks for your advice.
Best wishes
Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Not a problem, Mark.

If you don't get a response, simply start a new thread with a suitable heading. The only thing that could slow down people find your post is that it's buried in an older thread.

That being said, though, there are a few of us regulars on these boards who like to keep up to date with all posts if humanly possible.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195