Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#274353 12/13/14 11:58 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It took me a while, but I'm getting a beautiful quiet signal into my DAW with my XLR mic. I indeed had to use 24 bit as was mentioned, 16 is very noisy and unusable. But WOW, it is much better than my former M2496/mixer combo, to my ears. However, I can't seem to use my high-z mics, I get a lot of noise. Same for plugging in my guitar and running amp sims like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. I had no problem with this with the m2496 and mixer.

I also need to figure out how to get my Ketron SD2 to work with BIAB. I hooked up MIDI cables from the SD2 (IN and THRU) to the Scarlett MIDI IN and OUT. Nothing. The Ketron also has RCAs out, maybe these should be connected to the Scarlett line inputs?

Thanks again to all who recommended it, I love what I'm hearing from the Scarlett with XLR.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Veteran
Veteran
"However, I can't seem to use my high-z mics, I get a lot of noise. Same for plugging in my guitar and running amp sims like Amplitube or Guitar Rig."

Did you try the line inputs on the back of the unit?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BeelzeBob
I hooked up MIDI cables from the SD2 (IN and THRU) to the Scarlett MIDI IN and OUT. Nothing. The Ketron also has RCAs out, maybe these should be connected to the Scarlett line inputs?

Depends on what you want. I use a Korg keyboard and I record both audio and MIDI from it to the 6i6. In my case I use the MIDI IN/OUT on the keyboard and 6i6 since those are the only MIDI devices in my chain. For audio, my keyboard has 1/4" outs so I just run 1/4" cable to the 6i6 inputs. You may need to go RCA to 1/4" if your keyboard is RCA. You'll also need to change your MIDI settings in BIAB/RB to point to the 6i6 if you are running your MIDI through there.

Let us know what you find when you do more testing.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
You should be able to use the front combo jacks for guitars. That's what they are designed for.

-Scott

Veteran
Veteran
You should be able to use the front "combo" jacks for hi-z instruments and mics. The 6i6 has preamps in it designed to give you the amplification needed for those signals.

Are you using the ASIO driver or something else? You shouldn't have to use 24 bits because 16 is "noisier and unusable" as you mentioned.... you should use 24bit resolution because it gives better definition to the music. Actually, you should not really be able to hear much, if any difference between them. You have something else going on there. Check the drivers. Go to their website and DL the latest drivers, use ASIO and install the updated versions.

Also, If Focusrite is still doing what they were doing with my Saffire, you should have installed a software control panel for the 6i6. Be sure that you have things set properly in there as well. Even though you don't open it, it's still the control panel for your interface. All the input amplification levels are set there and they become the default the interface looks at each time it is started. If those are set low, you will have volume issues and wonder why. Open it and check your routings, FX settings, output levels, and your input levels.

Let us know what you find.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
"However, I can't seem to use my high-z mics, I get a lot of noise."

Are you disengaging the phantom power before you plug in your Hi-Z mic? What kind of Hi-Z mic is it?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Are you disengaging the phantom power before you plug in your Hi-Z mic? What kind of Hi-Z mic is it?

I use a Focusrite (same mfg) Saffire interface. I've never had a problem running the dynamic mics on it either with phantom on or off. It never created any noise of any kind..... just an observation.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/15/14 02:52 PM.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

I use a Focusrite (same mfg) Saffire interface. I've never had a problem running the dynamic mics on it either with phantom on or off. It never created any noise of any kind..... just an observation.

Not all dynamics are created equal. Some have transformers, some don't. Some 57's have had them removed. Most have XLR, but some have 1/4" TRS, 1/4" TS, etc. Balanced XLR or unbalanced 1/4" TS?

You're observation is apocryphal.

Edit: That should have been "anecdotal". I apologize for any misunderstandings.

Last edited by 90 dB; 12/16/14 04:50 AM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey guys,

Thanks again for the input. Floyd Jane (user here) told me Acid was noisy with Scarlett at 16 bit but was fine at 24 bit. I found the same thing to be true, but I'll go back and double check it. I've been A\Bing with Acid and RealBand, IIRC, RB worked fine at either bit rate. It does seem weird. My high z mics are a Shure 533sa, it is unbalanced with a guitar plug on it. I also have a Calrad DM9. They are both vintage mics with a reputation for being good with harmonica. However, I have used the Shure a lot for vocals. It looks like a SM58 but smaller windscreen.

I've spent a lot of time in MixControl, but I might still be doing something wrong there. I see the setting for 44.1, but I don't see anyplace in MixControl for setting 16 or 24 bit. I sent an email to Focusrite, doesn't look like I'm going to get an answer. I'm surprised they have no user forum.

I'm getting a balanced xlr dynamic mic in the mail today. If that works, I should be okay for recording vox.

I feel like I'll get it right eventually. I wonder if it's possible for phantom power to work fine but unbalanced to be defective? I don't know much about electronics but that seems unlikely. They would share some circuitry, wouldn't they?

One weird thing I just learned. I get a lot of noise with Amplitube and a guitar plugged in. But when I turned the guitar volume knob up to 10, most of the noise goes away. Back off to 9.5 and the noise returns. However I cannot duplicate this on my real amp. The volume knob works just fine. I need to borrow a friend's guitar and try it as well.

Thanks again to all, this is a lot to read and I appreciate everyone who has given their time. Best support I've ever gotten from users!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Veteran
Veteran
"Noise" can come from anything. Bad XLR cable, audio line in close proximity to AC power lines, dirty pots.

Try switching mic/guitar cables, and spray some DeOxit on the pots on your guitar.

I've found Amplitube so noisy it's unusable. I prefer Revalver.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BeelzeBob
I see the setting for 44.1, but I don't see anyplace in MixControl for setting 16 or 24 bit.

I believe that's set by the software you're recording with. I set RB to that in the soundcard settings.

Options-->Preferences-->Audio Tab-->Audio File Type

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay, the only thing I'm sure of at this point is that I have to use 24 bit. 16 bit consistently is noisy. If Acid crashes, it sometimes reverts to default settings (16 bit) and that is when noise enters the picture. I wasn't aware of this and thought the high-z mics were the problem. Since confirming this, I have been able to use my high-z mics with no problem. But since my last post, I've gotten three blue screens of death and many Sony Acid crashes. I particularly had BSOD issues when I was trying the line out on my amp. It might have been coincidence, I hope so since otherwise, the line out is a nice option that worked well. (Though I can't use it often due to my housemates). To be fair, Acid was crashing sometimes before I switched to the Scarlett.

I was able to make a simple Xmas blues tune (vox, harp, guitar and BIAB backing track) without too many crashes and I thought it sounded much better than my previous setup. One guy on my harp site thought my vox sounded the best he ever heard. So, although I've been tempted to reinstall my 2496 and mixer, I'm not doing it.

Bob 90db, that's great info. I will download the Revalver demo. If that works for me, I'll be very happy.

One thing I've noticed is that I can turn the Scarlett volume knob all the way up to 5 o'clock. With my mixer I couldn't turn volume past 9 o'clock. Is that normal, Scarlett owners?

Another thing I've considered is switching to a hopefully more stable daw. I dread, dread, dread learning a new DAW, but if it would make my problems go away, maybe I'd do it.

Veteran
Veteran
If you have to switch DAW's depending on your budget.... Cakewalk Music Creator 6 is around $50 and highly useable..... if budget is larger....any of the Sonar versions works well....I'm using Sonar and a big fan of it.

Level of the signal source coming into the interface will determine how far up you need to turn the level control. On my Saffire (by Focusrite) I generally have them about 50% of the way up. If your signals are really low, forcing you to crank the inputs to max, it might be worthwhile to investigate as to why the levels are low and perhaps look into a clean preamp. Before you do, check to see that you have the correct input settings and that on your mic you are not using the -10db switch setting. My Rode NT-2A has 3 attenuation settings for loud sources. Check things like that.

ALSO..... be absolutely sure that the settings in your FOCUSRITE SOFTWARE CONTROL PANEL are set right. There are software setting that DO control the input levels BEFORE they get to the volume knob on the front panel..... if those are set low, you can crank the knobs and add preamps and still not get suitable levels..... FIND the control panel.... if not already, make it a desktop icon next to the music software you use. Once set, you shouldn't need to touch them but in case you do, it's right there.

I can not emphasize enough that this control panel is likely the reason you have low levels. It was for me, when I first was getting started. I had weak, anemic wave forms in my DAW..... I was redlining the levels going in but the volume wasn't there in the speakers or the playback and the waveform in the tracks literally looked like a single straight line..... It was only after I realized...someone clued me in on another forum site....( I was such a noob).... Then I found that control panel, and turned the inputs up....they were on 2 or 3.....and I turned them up to 5 or 6... tested it again and this time had pretty, nice looking, and normal sounding levels....with wave forms that filled 60% to 90% of the track amplitude area. Also... the software control panel (for me) was and still is a bit confusing.... it's not as intuitive as it should be.... so be patient and figure it out... hopefully, they have made it easier to use.... but that's where you control BOTH the input levels and the output levels..... you can go from total silence up to cone destroying levels.... so be careful when you hit the play button.... turn the speakers down for safety reasons when you are adjusting the control panel. Seriously!!

On the BSOD.... I have heard that those things are usually the result of driver issues. Conflicts of some sort that the computer can not rectify... and it's only choice is a crash to restart. Wish I could tell you more but I'm no expert on this topic. I get them from time to time on my old Dell lappy. I simply take them in stride and let the computer reboot, but it's not my DAW machine anymore.

Glad to see it wasn't a mic/power issue causing the noise.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/22/14 03:06 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195