Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am using Native Instruments Session Strings VST

I set the volume in the VST, but the moment I press play, something sends a signal to the VST to instruct it to reduce its volume. This happens on many songs and I can never find out why. A check of all control events shows nothing that would change the VST volume. Does anybody else have this issue and do they know why the volume changes whenever play is pressed, no matter where this happens on the timeline?

If Bypass is selected then the volume doesn't change when Play pressed, indicating that this is definitely a signal coming from Real Band.

Send Most recent controller is unchecked, but didn't make any difference...

I can adjust the level while playing and it continues to maintain the new level. But always as soon as "Play" is pressed, it immediately drops to the lower setting

It did it in 2014 and now in 2015 also

Thanks
Trevor

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2014-12-17_00-03-41.jpg (478.65 KB, 89 downloads)
2014-12-17_00-06-34.jpg (269.07 KB, 88 downloads)
2014-12-17_00-07-46.jpg (288.63 KB, 87 downloads)
2014-12-17_00-23-01.jpg (117.84 KB, 85 downloads)
2014-12-17_00-33-41.jpg (100.7 KB, 83 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Two thoughts come to mind. First, also click on "Disable special controllers". Second, take a look at the "Multi" level display in the Midi Event listing, I've sometimes found that CC commands on blank tracks can have an effect on this. You see this if you use the "Multi" function which shows all CC / SysEx and notes on all tracks.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
If you bypass the VSTi then, I would suggest that you are playing another Synth. When playing via Kontact, I would suggest that there is a synth volume control somewhere which is reducing the CC7 values. I use a number of different synths which contain master volume control features. Generally I set these to maximum to retain full volume control within RB.

I hope this is of some help.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LynB
If you bypass the VSTi then, I would suggest that you are playing another Synth. When playing via Kontact, I would suggest that there is a synth volume control somewhere which is reducing the CC7 values. I use a number of different synths which contain master volume control features. Generally I set these to maximum to retain full volume control within RB.

I hope this is of some help.

Thanks for your feedback
When I Bypass the VSTi I don't get any output, so I am definitely playing the correct Synth. There are also VU level meters on the Kontakt VSTi display, these levels change while playing when the slider changes. It's definitely Kontakt I'm hearing.

I thought I might have a different MIDI device sending on the same channel. If I change Kontakt to use say Ch 9 I get no output until I change Real Band to Ch 9 also, then I get output but the level changes immediately play is pressed.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Two thoughts come to mind. First, also click on "Disable special controllers". Second, take a look at the "Multi" level display in the Midi Event listing, I've sometimes found that CC commands on blank tracks can have an effect on this. You see this if you use the "Multi" function which shows all CC / SysEx and notes on all tracks.

Thanks MS

Disable special Controllers and Unchecking Send Most recent patch didn't fix it

Re: "take a look at the "Multi" level display in the Midi Event listing,"
Where do I find that?

Thanks again

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Videotrack,

Before reading your thread this morning, I had updated
comments posted earlier regarding Z3TA2, Dim Pro, and Rapture.

CC 71-72-73-74 could be your culprit.

Culprits on 3 of my VST's

Good Luck!

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hey VT, the multi track viewer is in the Midi Event viewer. Located in the top row of RB, slightly off to the right, labeled like a blue page icon with an E on it. Go to the very first track listing to find "Multi". See if there are any SysEx listings in any track also look for other cc's. Common ones would be 7 and 11 for volume changes, 87 for nodes, 10 for pan, 91 for reverb, 93 for chorus as well as a few other less used.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
MountainSide,

Really excellent icing on the cake.
Currently working primarily with UserTrack. One selected and
active at a time.
BUT your suggestion could certainly enter the picture.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I've seen this problem on my computer also using Kontakt. Have not solved it, but there is definitely some interaction between master volume and track volume. I'll be monitoring this thread if someone figures it out, and I'll post if I figure something out.

And it's not just Session Strings that does this. I think the issue is with the Kontakt player, regardless of the instrument loaded.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Some kind of omni setting in Kontakt itself possibly? Picking up the CC from any channel?
Or possibly the CC is on same channel but a different track in RB.(?)

Just a couple ideas.
However, disabling send last controller usually works.

I wonder if the Kontaxt VST has the initial setting buffered or in memory somehow .. it's weird that it happens as soon as you hit play.
I suppose the Kontakt could be reading the track volume and resetting itself.
(in that case it's a 'feature!)

<confused>

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Hey VT, the multi track viewer is in the Midi Event viewer. Located in the top row of RB, slightly off to the right, labeled like a blue page icon with an E on it. Go to the very first track listing to find "Multi". See if there are any SysEx listings in any track also look for other cc's. Common ones would be 7 and 11 for volume changes, 87 for nodes, 10 for pan, 91 for reverb, 93 for chorus as well as a few other less used.

Oh, OK. Yes now I know what you meant. In the Multi Track Viewer there are a few Control 123 events with a 2nd byte value of 0. This is an All Notes Off event, and even removing them didn't change the problem. The instant Play is pressed the slider on the Kontakt VSTi reduces, regardless of the song position pointer. I can even go to the very end of the song, press play and the slider drops.

Will keep trying.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
I've seen this problem on my computer also using Kontakt. Have not solved it, but there is definitely some interaction between master volume and track volume. I'll be monitoring this thread if someone figures it out, and I'll post if I figure something out.

And it's not just Session Strings that does this. I think the issue is with the Kontakt player, regardless of the instrument loaded.

Thanks John for the feedback. I'm starting to think it's related to Kontakt VST also. I've reported to PGM Support, together with sending a sample file to reproduces the problem. This will be very disappointing if it's in Kontakt. I've noticed the problem several times, and never been able to pin point. But it's always when I use the Kontakt VSTi inside BiaB or Real Band

Regards

Trevor

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I Think I have found a way to resolve the problem

Regardless of the MIDI out check-box settings, Real Band and BiaB definitely send a CC 7 (and probably a CC10 - Pan) whenever play is pressed.

The Kontakt VST can have different attenuation settings applied when it receives the CC7. I found that the setting was in the range -infinity to -12dB, meaning the maximum volume level I could achieve was -12dB.

I changed this to -infinity to 0dB.

I could have also unchecked the "Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan" checkbox but I would then have no program control over volume, something most of us would require.

Screen capture below shows the process.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Trev

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2014-12-18_06-45-34.jpg (221.72 KB, 42 downloads)

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Cool, Trevor. I'll give this a try next time I fire it up.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
This is very interesting because I've seen similar behavior too. Just some thoughts, no solution yet.

1. Are you playing a downloaded midi file or is this a Biab generated song?

2. Is it only with Kontakt or have you tried playing the same song file using other synths?

3. Are you generating or regenerating some tracks using Biab styles?. When Biab generates a song it will put in CC7's for dynamics and presumably those will change every time a track is regenerated.

4. Is this only with midi tracks or does it happen with RT's or other audio tracks?

5. Does Session strings create string sections and is that what you're using, sections as opposed to single violin parts? Could it be possible that the different parts of a string section will have different volume settings that could be automatically varied by Kontakt for realism? This would be similar to how Biab will slightly vary each regeneration of a song.

I don't know these answers, just throwing stuff out there.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Bob -

I haven't tried with downloaded songs, but BIAB songs and my own recorded parts experience this.

2. Is it only with Kontakt or have you tried playing the same song file using other synths?
Don't seem to have this issue with other synths. I am thinking, though, that Trevor's solution is the solution. If your volume scale is limited to half the volume, it's just not going to work right.

3. Are you generating or regenerating some tracks using Biab styles?. When Biab generates a song it will put in CC7's for dynamics and presumably those will change every time a track is regenerated.

4. Is this only with midi tracks or does it happen with RT's or other audio tracks?
Kontakt is a MIDI soft synth, so audio or RT's won't play in this scenario.

5. Does Session strings create string sections and is that what you're using, sections as opposed to single violin parts? Could it be possible that the different parts of a string section will have different volume settings that could be automatically varied by Kontakt for realism? This would be similar to how Biab will slightly vary each regeneration of a song.
Session strings can do both. I don't think that's the issue, though.

Trevor can answer with his experience, as well.

John

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob

Answers to my situation interspersed with your questions below:

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
This is very interesting because I've seen similar behavior too. Just some thoughts, no solution yet.

A: Neither. I am using my own MIDI tracks. It is a backing string cello arrangement that I recorded myself.

A: I can play the track to any number of synths, including an external Ketron, but the volume problem was only with Konkakt.

A: No, I'm not generating/regenerating. It is my own user-recorded track

A: Only with MIDI tracks, and only with Konkakt.

A: I use Session String to play individual instruments rather than Ensembles. I generally create/record multiple string harmonies though - 3rd's, 10th's, 5th intervals etc, the same way as the string section in an orchestra would play (Violins, Violas, Cellos etc). Pre-arranged Strings Sections can often sound 'synthy'.
A sample of how I do string arrangements is in Autumn Pulse, a song I composed earlier this year.

I don't know these answers, just throwing stuff out there.

Bob

I believe that the problem is actually solved. It's directly related to the internal attenuation settings of the Konkakt player, and the images I posted previously show where it happens and how to resolve.

Thanks anyway Bob for your input.

Regards

Trevor

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195