Topic Options
Index
#73246 - 05/18/10 08:51 PM Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available
ikeinblackriver Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Upstate Michigan
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is now available for a new lower price of $149.95

Review:
http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144&Itemid=56

Online Purchase:
http://www.garritan.com/store/shop/products/

#73247 - 05/19/10 08:43 AM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: ikeinblackriver]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Thanx for the heads up.

I looks like I just lost another $50!

64 bit Win 10 - the latest BiaB and RB - I always get the updates - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#73248 - 05/19/10 10:55 AM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: MarioD]
jazzband Offline
Expert

Loc: Kent UK
Hi Mario

You can upgrade for $49 i have just upgraded GPO and BB-JB

Dave

#73249 - 05/19/10 03:11 PM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: jazzband]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Jazzband,
You upgraded from the Pocket Orchestra? Did you GPO come with Cakewalk Sonar? Or, did you but it as a stand alone?

Also, as I listen to the samples, questiokn for you trumpters out there. One the first track on the web site (Scream Trumpet) how would you go about creating the shrills in MIDI? Then, there are those notes almost like ghost notes in that they lead up to the punch or accent note. Do you have to manually enter each of those notes? Or, is there a MIDI function that will communicate these techniques for trumpet?

As I am listening to the other tracks, they are sounding very impressive. I almost wish they would let you see the MIDI parts go by as it plays so you can get an idea of how it was written.

Thanks, Russell!
RickeG

Edited by RickeG (05/19/10 03:12 PM)

#73250 - 05/20/10 05:18 AM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: RickeG]
jazzband Offline
Expert

Loc: Kent UK
Hi

On the BB&JB which had the Kontact player somebody made a Script program to help you program the different instruments but on the Aria player you don`t have as much help in the programing of instruments,but i use a WX5 windcontroller and have never bothered to learn how to make the clarinet sound better ,when you go on the Garittan web site and listen to the pro`s playing their tunes it can be done if you got the time to learn,when you just upgrade you dont get anything extra

regards Dave Hoskins

#73251 - 05/20/10 09:09 AM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: ikeinblackriver]
KeithS Offline
Expert

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
I'm not familar with this program Russell. How does it work with BIAB?
Windows 7 64 Bit, SONAR Platinum, Sony Vegas 13, Acid 7, Sony Audio Master Suite, Waves Horizon Bundle, Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced

#73252 - 05/20/10 11:33 PM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: KeithS]
ikeinblackriver Offline
Apprentice

Keith,

With BIAB this will work as a simple VST plug-in and uses a 'light' version of the Kontact player (if you don't already use the Kontact product).

If you're not familiar with installing VST plug-in's with BIAB ...

1. Click AUDIO menu, then DXi SETTINGS menu item
2. Under the SYNTH TRACK tab, click the selector under the PLUGIN heading
3. Scroll to the bottom of the list and select ADD VSTi PLUGIN ...
4. Follow the directions that comes with the Garratan product.

#73253 - 05/20/10 11:39 PM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: RickeG]
ikeinblackriver Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

... for you trumpters out there. One the first track on the web site (Scream Trumpet) how would you go about creating the shrills in MIDI? Then, there are those notes almost like ghost notes in that they lead up to the punch or accent note

Before I bought the product I was wondering the same thing myself. You'll find most of what you're looking for at their website / forum as I recall coming across this very question over there. So far I'm finding that it's a little of what I'm finding over there plus a bit of old fashioned trial and error. If I find a direct solution to your question I'll re-post. Anyone else care to try ...

#73254 - 05/21/10 08:41 AM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: ikeinblackriver]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
In the original J&BB (Kontakt version) shakes were controlled by the sustain pedal (CC64) when the pedal values are between 49-95. Velocity controls the attack strength, CC28 controls the attack speed and CC20 controls portamento.

All of this and more about shakes were explained on page 25 of the original manual. Hopefully these attributes were carried over to the Aria version. I haven’t upgraded yet so could one of you see if the above is still the case in the Aria version. Many thanx.

64 bit Win 10 - the latest BiaB and RB - I always get the updates - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#73255 - 05/21/10 11:22 AM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: MarioD]
davem7b5 Offline
Enthusiast

I loaded JABB 3 yesterday. A 1.07gb download. It only took me 4 hrs. on a 65.5kbs
medium speed Internet connection. I have had the old version for several years
but only used it occasionally. The new version has a lot more control but it sounds
basically the same. I only use the Trumpets and Sax's and the Piano. The tenor Sax
sounds pretty good after a lot of tweaking but the Trumpets are pretty lame right
out of the box. I never could get a Trumpet to sound any better than the VSC Trumpet.
It requires more skill than I possess. I can get the Harmon mute to sound pretty
good though. All in all I think it is a lot better than Forte except it is limited to
Melody, Soloist and Thru channels.
Dave

#73256 - 05/21/10 04:51 PM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: davem7b5]
ikeinblackriver Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

All in all I think it is a lot better than Forte except it is limited to
Melody, Soloist and Thru channels.

Dave,

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If I'm using this in Realband and I've installed the Garritan's VSTi plugin in Realband, why am I limited to Melody, Soloist and Thru channels? Are you saying that I cannot use Garritan with any track I want in Realband or are you referring to a restriction imposed by BIAB?

BTW, thanks for the heads up on your experience with Garritan. I've been really looking forward to it's release and now that I've got it I'm afraid I'm definitely going to need some extra help with this concept (or any other plugin product for that matter).

Thanks to all in advance for your knowledge on this.

#73257 - 05/21/10 05:45 PM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: ikeinblackriver]
davem7b5 Offline
Enthusiast

Russell,

I was referring to BIAB only. I really don't use real band. I have been a sonar supporter
for many years. We mainly use the Real Drums and Bass for our jazz gigs. All recording is done in Sonar 8.5 Producer.
The JABB was a great tool before Realtracks. I had such a bad experience trying to
use ASIO in BIAB that I finally bought a Dell XPS 16 with I7 core processor with Win 7.
Now the VSC doesn't work and Hyper Canvass or TTS 1 just didn't cut it.
At least with JABB3 it sounds pretty good to rehearse with.

Dave

#73258 - 05/22/10 10:46 AM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: davem7b5]
ikeinblackriver Offline
Apprentice

Would anyone else care to comment on this? I'm wondering if I can use this for all tracks or just BIAB melody, soloist, thru? If it can't, mine's boxed and ready to go back!

#73259 - 05/22/10 01:24 PM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: ikeinblackriver]
DanL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Does anyone know why it's called JABB 3? I don't recall seeing a JABB 2 and if the reviews here are correct, it doesn't sound different from JABB 1.

#73260 - 05/22/10 01:51 PM Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is available [Re: DanL]
davem7b5 Offline
Enthusiast

Russell,

You can use it with the BIAB Bass, Piano, Guitar, Melody and Soloist just like the VSC.
The difference is that you have to open the ARIA player to change patches and volume.
I only use the Piano, Melody and Solo track with Real Drums and Real Bass. In my opinion
it is the best software solution available for 64 bit operating systems.

The new Roland SD 50 looks promising although it appears to be based on the older GM
samples like the SD 20 and not the newer Phantom series. I would like to hear from someone that actually has one.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The Xtra Styles Special - There's Still Time!

There's still time to add over 160 professionally mixed RealStyles included in the new Xtra Styles PAKs for the introductory price of $29!

That's right - our Xtra Styles Special is going strong, but time is running out! Until September 30, 2016 you can purchase the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 for just $29 (reg. $49).
www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php

The Xtra Styles PAKs require the RealTracks and RealDrums included in your Band-in-a-Box® 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition. A handful of these new RealStyles use RealTracks from the 2016 49-PAK. If you don't have the 2016 49-PAK, there is a special purchase option: the "All Xtra Styles PAK 1 & 2016 49-PAK Bundle" for just $49! Note: This package is only available until September 30th.

Once you've added the Xtra Styles PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® collection, create an original song using one of the 164 RealStyles included and enter it in our Xtra Styles Contest!
There are four prizes of $150 "PG Bucks" to be won - one for each genre: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter! Entries can be submitted until midnight September 30, 2016. Click here for complete contest details.

Add versatility and a modern flair to your current RealTracks and RealDrums library with Xtra Styles PAKs!

#FunFactFriday - Where is PG Music Inc?

Did you know that PG Music Inc. is located in Victoria, British Columbia (Canada)?

Victoria, BC is located on Vancouver Island. Don't let the name fool you, we are not located in Vancouver (a common mistake...)

Our city is home to and endless list of attractions, including: the Legislature Building (we are the capital city of British Columbia), the Craigdarroch Castle, loads of Art Galleries, Butchart Gardens, the Royal BC Museum, CFB Esquimalt, and loads of other great tourist stops! We are also lucky enough to have a huge music scene (a few of our PG Team members perform often!).

There has also been a lot of movies and TV shows filmed here - including X-Men, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and X-Men: The Last Stand (Royal Roads University is the Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters)!

Want to learn more about Victoria? Visit the Tourism Victoria website: www.tourismvictoria.com/

Herb Hartley's Song Success!

If you frequent the User Showcase Forum, then you've likely heard one of the many songs shared by "Guitarhacker" (Herb Hartley) - most recently Something To Die For & Jesus Is Risen.

Well, Herb just announced that his songs have also landed some TV show placements - how amazing is that!?!
In case you missed it, read all about this announcement here.

Here at PG Music, we think this is awesome! Congratulations Herb!

#TBT - The MIDI File Chord Interpretation Wizard!

Travel back in time to December 2001, and the release of Band-in-a-Box 11 for Windows... which included the new feature The MIDI File Chord Interpretation Wizard!

This new feature was described as:
Many people who play music by ear think of songs in terms of “Chords and Melody.” However many MIDI files lack chord symbols, so they become difficult to learn without the user having to figure out the chords in a time consuming process. Now you can open up any MIDI file in Band-in-a-Box, and Band-in-a-Box will automatically figure out the chords of the song for you. It automatically analyzes the MIDI file, figures out where the bass, piano, melody and other tracks are, and then figures out the chord changes for the song. The chords are written onto the Band-in-a-Box chordsheet like any other song. This allows you to quickly learn how to play a song from a MIDI file - just read it into Band-in-a-Box and you’ll see the chord symbols, and then learn the Melody! You can also read tracks into the Melody and Soloist tracks.

If you're interested in reading about all the features released with Band-in-a-Box 11, visit this page. Other new features added with this version back in 2001 include Jazz Music Fonts for Notes, Symbols, Chords & Titles, Multiple Tracks of Notation, "Direct-to-Disk Audio Rendering, and more!

Introducing The Band-in-a-Box Keychain!

For just $5 you can add your very own Band-in-a-Box keychain to any order you place with us!

When placing an order for any item on our website, our shopping cart will offer to add this item to your shipment.

You can also purchase it on its own, here: www.pgmusic.com/bb_keychain.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 Chord Sheet Enhancements

With Band-in-a-Box® 2016 (for both Windows & Mac) we added some great Chord Sheet enhancements that included Layers, chord display options, customizable color options, mouse-over indicators, changing the number of columns that are displayed, and more!

We explain and demonstrate this new feature in our Band-in-a-Box® 2016 New Feature Video:
For Windows: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=iKUE4vSfISc&t=1323
For Mac: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_eqADUKt71A&t=1998

Welcome to the PG Team Will & Mathew!

We are thrilled to announce that we have recently added two new faces to our PG Team: Will Ballantyne and Mathew Valente!

Will and Mathew have joined our Customer Service team, and bring with them some strong musical talent as well as backgrounds that include technical & sales support!

Welcome to the team, Will & Mathew!

Forum Stats
25168 Members
45 Forums
41339 Topics
331520 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
5-Stringunzucd, Display Name, XrayB, Gaelan - PG Music, Davedutt

25166 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 246