Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
These inconsistencies and bugs have been around for years. Please, PG Team, fix them in future updates

1. The "Change # of semitones each chorus" bug.
This important feature (very useful for jazz students who study standards in all keys) doesn't work at all.
Documented here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=173053&Searchpage=4&Main=25482&Words=Transpose+&Search=true#Post173053

2. The "Asio4All" bug.
BIAB doesn't work well with this universal and widely used ASIO driver:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=239660&page=1

3. The "Conductor" bug.
This feature don't work with Realtracks.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=267232&Searchpage=1&Main=38152&Words=conductor&Search=true#Post267232

4. The "Undo" problems.
This feature works only with some BIAB functions. Documented many times in the forum, for example here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254445&Searchpage=1&Main=36456&Words=undo&Search=true#Post254445

5. The Endings Bug
Many Realtracks endings don't work properly (the instruments keeps playing normally) if not using an specific chord from the family for the end.
Ex: _SJAZBL2.STY ; endings in D- are fine; endings in D-7 don't work (guitar and piano keeps playing).

6. The "Windows bigger than screen" bug:
Many GUI elements are unfortunately not resizable, but some of them (for example the "RealDrum Picker") are simply bigger than the computer screen!. This was supposedly solved in 2015, but this is what some of the users have now:

And this is what happens if I try to resize that window:

I'll keep posting...

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
7. The "video windows" bugs.
This new feature is so buggy that it's actually unusable. http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273429#Post273429

8. The "Save/Save As" problem
There's is no difference between these two functions in BIAB.

9. The "MGU/SGU bug".
MGU format was intended for songs with melodies, when BIAB was a Midi only program. Since the introduction of Realtracks, the program saves any song with any kind of data in the melody track as MGU, no matter if the melody track is an actual melody or a realtrack. This odd behaviour leds to duplication of files and confusion.

10. The "Custom track names" problem
If you're using custom track names, many windows and dialog boxes (for instance any bar "chord options" window) will still show the old convention (B/D/P/G/S/M/S), wich is confusing.

11. The "User tracks waltzes" bug
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=267013

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
12. The "Notation Options" Bug
Lead Sheet Windows -> Options -> Notation Options -> OK -> Access violation.

13. The "Freeze track" bug.
If you freeze a track, and then generate a song using "The melodist", youl'll get the frozen track not following the corrects chords, and the mixer will show incorrectly the name / color of the frozen track.

14. The "Soloist" bug
If you choose a realtrack soloist from the "Select Soloist" window, the track won't appear on the "Realtracks Picker" window.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
MY HERO!! I could add tons of Mac-specific 'issues' to this list!
A massive +1 from me!!!

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Cerio,

Thank you for the very detailed bug list. Hope you'll continue the effort as I'm sure there are more.

+1 for fixing what's listed so far.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
15. The 256 bar limit.
A serious limitation from the 8 bit era, still present in BIAB 2015

16. The 8.3 filesystem issues.
Another standard feature of Windows 95 still not fully supported by BIAB

17. Drag & Drop support.
Just another standard feature from Windows 95 era, not fully supported in BIAB (think on a "Style Picker Windows" where you could organize your favourite styles simply by dragging & dropin' them)

18. "Section letters" don't appear in the main Window.
This issue was supposedly fixed on 2015 b411, but the problem is still there, http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39046&Number=272055#Post272055

19. Allow Show / Hide / Resize functions for all the GUI elements.
Another standard feature in any modern audio program, and another very requested feature: we really don't need that enormous mixer right there all the time!

20. The resolution problems.
Actually only modern computers with very high resolutions can show the whole BIAB screen, whose GUI is just too big for computers with medium to high resolutions. Most modern 15'' laptops simply won't be able to correctly show BIAB's GUI (see also p. 6)

21. The Copy/Cut & Paste Audio Bug
This is a diffuse bug, I couldn't find a systematic pattern o situation where the problem always arises: Copying / Cutting Audio from the Audio Edit windows simply works erratically, especially with big audio files and files imported from the ACW with tempo-mapped bars.

22. The Vertical Scroll Bar Bug in ACW
The scroll bar on the ACW, instead of moving the chord grid vertically as it should, just moves the bar cursor horizontally, bar by bar. This makes very difficult having quick access to song parts that are not on the screen.

23. The chord navigation problems.
When you have a long song with many chords, navigating between different parts of the song is a nightmare: there are no visual markers, no zoom system, there is no way of showing more (or less) than 4 bars per row (BTW in ACW we have that possibility), and the scroll between chords pages itself (when the cursor reaches the last chord of the page) is just too abrupt and confusing.

24. The redundancy / disorganization of the menus.
Simply put, all the menus need a serious and urgent reorganization. Under the "File" menu, for example, there are no less than eight different commands (!!!) to open a song, most of them redundant (ex: " Open" already includes "Open Audio", "MIDI", "Kar", but they're there anyway, not grouped into a submenu, but in the same hierarchical level as the main "Open" command) and some of them simply unnecessary (ex: "Import MGU Song")

Last edited by Cerio; 12/16/14 08:21 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
A great list Cerio - I recognise a few but not all here.

This is why I bang on (apols) about a 64 rewrite. The whole thing needs a rethink, fresh blood.

point 24 "redundancy of menus" we have just had our GUI update and all that stuff was left there again, when its entirely obvious to any good GUI designer that it all needs a rethink. Graphically there are so many ways the presentation of information could be improved.

Not sure about the thread title 'before adding new features fix these basic ones' as I and many others could add a lot more bugs/obscure workings. Just 'fixing the basic ones' would leave development ignoring a proper rethink of how the data sits, is organised and is presented to the user, its all such a mishmash.

The one new feature that is required (we agree I think) is simple, that it WORKS - all of it.

I feel it's a redesign that is needed, fresh modern eyes.

Last edited by ZeroZero; 12/16/14 02:24 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
interesting list. I will say that ASIO4All is kind of a dead horse. It is not actually an ASIO driver, it is a wrapper that make MME act like ASIO, and truth be told it is super buggy on a lot of systems. I never could get it to play right over two or three different computers. The rest of the list is pretty solid.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Zero Zero: it's obvious that the program needs a rewrite, but being honest, I don't think that's going to happen, at least in the near future (I wish I'm wrong). So, at least I hope that the developers will fix some of this problems in future updates.

Robh: I've used Asio4all in many different computers (and many different programs) during the last years without problems. In fact, it's the driver I actually use at home for my home recordings with Reaper, and it runs flawlessly. The only program where I've systematically found problems with this driver (well, in fact, with different dedicated ASIO drivers from different soundcards), no matter which computer I use, is BIAB (and Realband)

Last edited by Cerio; 12/17/14 05:27 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
25. The Recording at relative tempo bug.
When recording audio using the new relative tempo feature, the resulting audio is completely out of sync.

26. The "Chord preview" problems.
The Chord preview feature works only when using the old MME drivers. Also, if you change your Audio drivers from ASIO to MME, the Chord preview won't work even when using MME drivers (you need to got to "Return to factory settings" to get that feature back). Lastly, Chord preview doesn't work on ACW, which probably is the most useful place where you could use that function.

27. The "Copy From...To..." bug.
Described here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=20197&Number=132321#Post132321

28. The "Half-time RT don't follow changes in time signatures" bug
Described here (P1)
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=19120&Number=123676#Post123676

29. The Audio Part issues.
If you right click on Audio -> Solo, all the tracks will be red, including the Master track (first oddity). If you now go to Master -> Unmute All, all the tracks will be normal now, but the Master will continue in red and everything will sound fine (second oddity). The Master will continue in red, no matter what yo do until you click again on Audio -> Mute (third oddity). If you mute the Audio track, it appears a check symbol on the menu. If you solo the Audio Track, there's no check symbol, no matter how many times you click on the menu (fourth oddity).

30. The "Yellow Melody even if there's no melody" bug.
If you create a new song using the "Melodist" and uncheck the "Generate Melody" option, the Melody track will be yellow even if there's no melody.

31. The "Overwrite solo" problems.
Currently the only possibility of partially generating Realtracks in BIAB (a much requested feature) is through the "Soloist", using the Custom Mode option. However, the results are nearly always unusable and unmusical, and the phrases are abruptly cutted off.

And last, but not least...

32. Inconsistency, redundancy and lack of connection between dialog boxes.
As with the menus, there's a lot of inconsistency and redundancy between many different dialog boxes in BIAB, due to the way the program has growth during these last years. For example, if you want to assign a Realtrack Soloist to the soloist track, you can:

a. Use the Realtracks picker window and choose the Soloist from there.
b. Use the Select Best Soloist picker window and choose the Soloist from there.
c. Use the Soloist picker window and choose the Soloist from there.
d. Use the "Band styles" windows and pick a real style with solist from there.
e. Use the Stylepicker window and pick a style with a real soloist from there.
f. Right click on the Soloist track and click on the "Choose Realtrack from Recently chosen" option.

All these dialogs do essentially the same (assign a realtrack to the soloist track), but all of them are dispersed over different places of the GUI, all of them have different options (for example, half time option is only available in the main "realtracks picker window"), different search methods, and worst of all, they are not connected in any way between them.

If this way of working is a confusing even for experienced users, try to imagine what a nightmare can be to understand all this "logic" for a newcomer. The GUI really, really, really, needs to be simplified!

Finally, I really don't want to sound all negative: I LOVE the program, I've always (and I'm still am) a fan, I can't express my gratitude enough to Peter and his team for the many hours I've enjoyed and learned with this program. I just wish that for 2016 some of these problems will be addressed, and that the development team will concentrate, instead of adding more and more features, on stability issues, consistence between old and new features, and on unifying / modernizing / simplify the GUI

Last edited by Cerio; 12/18/14 06:30 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not a deep enough user to have encountered many of these issues (except for simplifying the menu system, which I have been yammering about for years). Nevertheless, everything in this thread has been carefully considered and documented if possible, so obviously they are significant issues to the concerned users.

I give a big "+1" in the vernacular. Properly speaking, I urge the Good Doctor and the development team to take a close look at these in the context of consistency and ease of use. Like Cerio and many others, I sing the praises of PG Music and BIAB, yet wish for more elegant programming to be implemented.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas, y'all!

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Cerio, i noticed that in RB the file drop down system is somewhat different this year, so at least that one is moving forward.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Robh
Cerio, i noticed that in RB the file drop down system is somewhat different this year, so at least that one is moving forward.

That's a good start. A basic reorganization of the menus shouldn't take much more than a couple of hours from the development team.

Things like this:

or this:

are one of the main reasons why so many people perceive the program as "difficult" and "non intuitive". In effect, even for experienced users, is difficult to find the right one in that jungle of commands, all in the same level, without any kind of hierarchy or logic. Just grouping all related commands in submenus, arranging the order of the commands following logical criteria (or in alphabetical order, when appropriate) and deleting redundant / outdated commands, will help a lot.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/20/14 08:56 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Great list Cerio in particular this one grabs my attention,

19. Allow Show / Hide / Resize functions for all the GUI elements.

But to be honest I have given up hope with all the requests for rewrites or a lot of fixes.

I don't think PGmusic has the resources to do it, don't see the necessity to do it, and will carry on the way it is.

The only time I can see a major rewrite taking place is if PGmusic is bought out, or something happens that biab no longer works with a windows OS, and the failing to do so is so great that only way to solve it is having a total rewrite.

That saying I love biab even the way it is, and will continue to upgrade if finances allow.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
...and will continue to upgrade.
Musiclover

Agree with everything you said, except this. This will mark the fist year since the very beginning... is it me or is it BIAB? crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
33: VST selection not saved bug
Setup a specific VST and other options in the Plugins. Save. Close the song.

Later reopen the song and the VST has reverted to the default, and also in the case of multiple instruments in the VST library, the required Instrument does not load in the VST.

Other slots previously used are blank also (e.g. is reverb, compressor etc).

At the moment I am using Song Memo to remind me what the the VST settings were so I can set them up again each time.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
(Copy post from BIAB for Windows Forum)

By way of introduction: a big +1 to Cerio's call over in the Wishlist for a clean re-write, in preference to new toys, during 2015.

I'd like to mention three new bugs in 15 that weren't there in 14.

First: 'remember window size and position' used to work periodically. In 15, it never works: 2015 allows launches maximised.

Second: When replacing one loop with another, I often now get a 'division by zero' error. I can get around it by removing the loop completely, and loading a new loop, but changing loops is now considerably more awkward than before.

Third, saving the file no longer saves VSTis properly. Every time I re-open a file, the VSTi I've saved has reverted to Sample-Tank! This never happened in 14.

I wonder if these are bugs which could be easily fixed, pending the Cerio-revise many of us dream of ?

Happy Xmas & NY15 to all. Especially to all at PG. Best - Andy

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Great Andy. So it's definitely not just me!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I have BIAB 2015. I don't have your problem, #6, with the Real Drum picker window. Mine shows the whole window in a smaller space than yours. More important, (to me), than any of your "bugs", would be the ability to enter more than 4 chords in a bar. There are quite a few songs, (ballads), where 8 chords to the bar would be great. Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: raymb1
I have BIAB 2015. I don't have your problem, #6, with the Real Drum picker window. Mine shows the whole window in a smaller space than yours.

That's because you have a big screen working at a very high resolution.

Originally Posted By: raymb1
More important, (to me), than any of your "bugs", would be the ability to enter more than 4 chords in a bar. There are quite a few songs, (ballads), where 8 chords to the bar would be great. Ray

Yes, that would be great.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/21/14 04:32 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199