Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi all,

I love all instruments - I want to play them all, but I've at least had enough focus on guitar to feel reasonably proficient (I can play most common chords, learn songs, learn solos, and even solo over some common scales - pentatonic, major, minor).

But I LOVE noodling around with other instruments - and have lately been looking for some new 'noodling' instruments. Also - a big hobby of mine is equipping my home studio for my musical friends.

All that said - I've been thinking of adding either a mandolin, or a banjo, or both to my collection.

Has anyone gone from guitar to either banjo or mandolin ? If so, did you
1.) purchase an instrument, keep it, and are glad you did, because you still noodle with it, or
2.) purchase it - realize how 'different' it is than guitar - and either let it sit in it's case for years or resell it.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences on this topic.

....and HAPPY HOLIDAY.

Regards,
Joe V.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you're primarily a finger picking guitarist then I'd recommend the banjo. If you're a flatpicker, go with the mandolin.

Homespun Tapes has lots of good instruction for both.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have always played all three. Before you start on banjo, you have to know which of the two major styles you want to play: clawhammer or Scruggs style. The two are very different in technique, and the instruments are built differently. Try looking up both in Youtube. Then we can talk on the phone if you want to know more.

Last edited by flatfoot; 12/20/14 12:20 PM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Being a guitarist and keyboardist since my teens.... I decided to pick up a mandolin.

I found one for a really good price, got it and set about learning how to play it. It's certainly different.... strings are tuned differently, frets are smaller.... but hey, it's got strings and I can deal with that.

If you browse my tunes, you can hear me playing it. Christmas Without you...... currently on the user showcase somewhere...page 1 or 2.... would be a good one to listen to.

To me, a mandolin is a sweet sounding instrument.....and a banjo is handy because it can double as a hammer in a pinch.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/20/14 02:36 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Joe, do you have a preference for the sound of the instrument? If so, then choose the one you like better!

I have a mandolin and several ukuleles and while I enjoy them a lot I find it harder to get quality sound from them than from guitar or banjo. And the small size also can make them hard to play well if you have large hands.

Now the banjo, on the other hand, well I'll never ever be without one! Someone mentioned clawhammer and Scruggs (which both require a 5-string banjo BTW) but those are not the only ways to play a banjo! I am a decent clawhammer player and a horrible Scruggs style player but a couple of years ago I started fingerpicking (without picks) my banjo. I have several patterns I use and all you need to do to start is 1) learn some chords and 2) learn one or two basic fingerpicking patterns!

And because a banjo has a longer neck as compared to a mando, you can capo to match your singing voice and use it as a nice accompaniment instrument for acoustic sets. Whenever I play solo acoustic I always bring the guitar and the banjo. Let's me mix it up a little!

Oh and another way to play banjo is to strum it with your fingers or a plectrum. Get a New Orleans sound going even on your 5-string banjo! I have a song I wrote last year that uses fingerpicked banjo panned left and a strummed banjo panned right and it makes for a very nice combination!

Oh and one other option is to play your banjo like you would a guitar using a plectrum and picking melodies.

If you do not have a banjo yet I recommend a Deering Goodtime open back 5-string banjo for about $350! I bought mine a couple years ago and have been just thrilled with how good it sounds and how easy it is to play! And just in case you are wondering whether this banjo would be good enough for pro use check out Mean Mary burning hers up! http://youtu.be/ofAQtE7zHe0

Off-Topic
L
Veteran
Veteran
L

Joe:

If you don't have the time or inclination to learn a "new" instrument, you can get a 6 string banjo that's tuned like a guitar.

My only caution there would be, don't get a cheap (under $200) as they can sound rather "tinny". But I was at a Jam Session recently where a lady had a very nice one and it sounded great, and she didn't have to learn new fingerings as she already played guitar.

Another Jam Session (I'm getting addicted <grin>). A guy bought an old, used, but quality 4 string banjo, re-strung it like the DGBE stings on a guitar. You couldn't tell it wasn't a "real" regularly-strung 4 stringer.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Joe, do you have a preference for the sound of the instrument? If so, then choose the one you like better!

I agree with John3. The sound of the instrument that appeals to you the most should be the deciding factor. They both relate in some manner to the guitar, but that really shouldn’t be a major consideration.

For example, a 5 string banjo has the middle 3 strings tuned the same as a guitar. D-G-B. A mandolin has a backward tuning of the lower four strings of a guitar. E-A-D-G on a guitar vs. G-D-A-E on a mandolin.

I’ve never found either piece of information particularly helpful in playing either instrument.

I play guitar, mandolin and banjo in descending levels of competence. The style of banjo playing that has always interested me the most is the 3 finger picking style vs. clawhammer. To get even decent at that style you have to master the alternating thumb, forward roll and backward roll until they’re second nature without even thinking about it.

That’s a lot harder to do than it sounds. It takes incessant drills for months on end.

Whichever one you choose, don’t listen to anyone that tells you to retune the instrument to more approximate the guitar. If you’re going to tackle a new instrument, do it in the proper tuning or leave it alone.

I’d also advise against the 6 string banjo tuned like a guitar. It’s not a guitar and it’s not a banjo and it’s annoying when someone shows up with one at a jam session. It’s a novelty instrument that’s only appropriate for one out of fifty songs.

If you’re comfortable with a flatpick, go with a mandolin. You don’t have to very good to be able to play some decent sounding music.

With 3 finger style banjo, you have to be pretty damn good to even be tolerated in a jam session. They’re too loud and obnoxious unless you can play them well.

If you can play them at an advanced level, they’re fantastic. If you’re not able to play them at an advanced level, do everyone a favor and leave them at home.

Why do you think there are so many banjo jokes? wink

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/20/14 07:22 PM.
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Well - I have a bartering proposition for all of you 2nd instrument (from guitar) banjo/mandolin players that might be interested in bartering some time with me.

If there is something I can teach you, I offer 15 to 20 minutes of my time for 15 to 20 minutes of yours.

The idea of finding some people to barter Skype time with where both have something they're motivated to learn from each other has long been a goal of mine, maybe this can be an opening.

BTW - if there are any websites specifically for this, I'd love to know about them. Usually, when I find some people where we have at least ONE think in common - an initial conversations leads us to find several other things.

If you're interested in 'testing the waters' over Skype to see if we can find some mutually beneficial topics - there's no obligations ! I believe I've only skyped with one person on PG so far - my friend and co-personality type - Pat Marr. But I recognize many of your names on this thread. PM me with your Skype address (or other Video Conferencing address) if interested.

I know some people are video shy - but if you give it a try, I think you'll love it and come to know the power and fun of it.

Regards, and thanks for all of your informative comments.

And BTW - my personality is such that if I do some banjo - I'll dapple with ALL the playing styles. That's just my noodling personality.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

another thing to add is resist the urge to go cheap so you can have both right away. For years I had a cheap banjo and mandolin, and every time I picked either one up it was more discouraging than enjoyable.

When I finally got playable instruments it made a big difference in terms of playability and enjoyment.

For example, I started out with the acoustic-electric teardrop mandolin by Fender that you see everywhere. I could never get good intonation out of that instrument. I asked BobCFlatpicker for a recommendation, and he suggested THE LOAR F-style mando... (I forget the model #) so I took his advice and bought one. I've been very happy with it (Thanks Bob!)

For the price its a very well made instrument, good enough to warrant upgrading hardware later to make it even better.

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I had read great reviews about the Recording King banjos - and almost picked up a used RK-20 for $300 (new $420 on sale if you look on Amazon or MF at the right time, else $500)- but then, I'd really like a used RK-35 from what I've read, which seems the best for the price - but that's a pretty steep price for a 'noodler' ($1200 new). I always buy used.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

Something you may want to keep in mind on the banjo is that most banjos are made for 3 finger picking style. They have metal pots and a back on them. While you can play claw hammer style on them, the sound is more harsh than you would typically want.

Banjos that are made specifically for claw hammer usually have wooden pots and an open back.

This video may help.

"How to Choose a Banjo Style and a Banjo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHCQHlZJom0

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Interesting video; but he should have shown the difference. He showed fingerpicking on one banjo and clawhammer on the other. It would have been nice to hear the other style on each banjo also. Still - an interesting video.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Listen to Bob! If you plan to "noodle" at home around other folks, I'd recommend an open-back banjo and a flannel shirt (to absorb lots of the sound)! A banjo with a resonator gets pretty loud! My Deering Goodtime is pretty loud even though it is open-back; I play fingerpicked and clawhammer and get plenty of volume out of it. Plus, with the resonator, your banjo doubles in weight! BUT, if you are gonna play with a bluegrass band you'd prolly want the banjo with the resonator so you'll be loud enough.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
when I got my first banjo years and years ago I learned several Scruggs style songs but never got really good and gave it up for 30 years! Then caught the bug again a few years back and started "noodling" with clawhammer technique. I ended up taking a few lessons and bought Ken Perlman's book and DVD and I highly recommend it! I also bought Michael J. Miles books which I recommend as well.

But for just starting out you could do a lot worse than these videos on YouTube,

http://youtu.be/lKK_n4Ac0Bk?list=PLD8B12621CCAB1A11

http://youtu.be/qOYAd0fZiDM?list=PLD8B12621CCAB1A11

http://youtu.be/qpyMA3jMmVA?list=PLD8B12621CCAB1A11

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/21/14 11:11 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joe,
I'm a half reasonable keyboard player, but have always wanted to play bluegrass banjo. I got a guitar for Christmas when I was about 11 yr years old, had a few lessons (I was also havind piano & accordion lessons at the same time, so the guitar had to go.) Basically I sucked. I could play lead, but could not play chords, particularly barre chords. So I gave it away.

Move ahead 20 years and I decided I wanted to learn bluegrass banjo. I bough a mid-priced banjo and every book & record I could find. I practised my butt off, but after 10 years, I sucked. Stringed instruments are not for me.

Move on a few more years, and enter BIAB.
Well, now I "play" guitar like Brent Mason, and thanks to the banjo music instruction books that I accumulated, Earl Scruggs, eat you heart out (God rest your soul) thanks to being able to enter music note by note.

I love BIAB, and it's enabled me to play music that I could only dream about.

Sorry for the rant.
Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to all.

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Keith - your music history sounds a little like mine - I'd love to barter some of my time to help you with guitar accompaniment, for some of yours to help me learn more about keyboard and banjo.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Its true that they are more styles that just the two I mentioned. Clawhammer and its variants, and 3-finger, plus its variants, are the main groups of styles.

You may be able to get a pleasant sound by using guitar fingerpicking technique on a banjo, but its not really banjo playing. Using a pick on a five-string is so wrong I cannot even begin to explain. A six string guitar-banjo is neither.

Its easy to do some real investigation by looking at youtubes. Please dont be in a hurry.

I already offered to talk further over phone or Skype or whatver ya got.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Granpa jones is on high on my list of most admired clawhamnmer players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQBNBbiTUY8

(also known as frailing, framing, etc)

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And don't forget Bill Keith's "melodic banjo style" Look him up on YouTube.

Cheers,
Keith
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195