Go To
#275822 12/21/14 07:32 AM
RealBand
H
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
I have the Audiophile edition of BB and RB. I see in the RealTracks folder on my hard drive that there are 2 variations for each Real Track file...a .wav and a .wma.

How can I be sure the program is using the higher quality .wav files rather than the .wma files? Is there is setting somewhere for this?

Thanks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
It should use wav over wma if available. If I recall correctly you can even convert the wma to a wav and it will use that if available.

You could always test it (if you can hear the difference).
Listen to a wma and then listen to the same wav. Note any difference you may notice.
Generate that realtrack and listen to it.

Many do not realize you can 'play' those wma and wav files in most mediaplayers .. that's how I discovered that at the end of many RealDrums there are individual recorded hits of each drum. So if you want to add a cymbal at X point in a song, you can do it. Not sure why this isn't the rule for all of the Realdrums and a feature mentioned by PGMusic somewhere.
To me that was a huge discovery. It means I can open a sampler and have the same Realdrums sounds yet customize them when needed.

/add a second snare hit .
// add a ride cymbal on on the beat ..
///slashies come in threes ...

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #275824 12/21/14 07:48 AM
RealBand
H
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
"Should"...but does it?

My question remains: Is there a setting to force the program to use the higher quality file format?

Also, a .wma file converted to .wav is not the same quality as an original .wav file. Far from it, and it defeats the reason I paid extra to buy the Audiophile edition.

Your suggested listen test may tell me if a .wav file is being used in a particular instance, but it doesn't assure me that the program will ALWAYS select the .wav over the .wma.

Thank you anyway for your reply.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
From what I recall, yes; the program does inherently check for wav first, then wma. It uses the wav if available. I believe it is programmed to do this.
I would have said 'it does' instead of 'it should' but I didn't write the program so can't authoritatively say that.

I do not know of a setting for it.
I think it happens 'automagically' if the wav file exists. That's why I gave the example of the wma/wav conversion; a user without the Audiophile version could test this by making a wav file (in the correct folder) and see if it gets loaded first. In theory it could be a whole different file to make the test results obvious. Of course you wouldn't want to write over any existing files if you do have the Audiophile edition, so you'd need to be more careful testing this way.

I also provided a test scenario you could try (your ear).

I trust it does use wav when available, but like I said, I haven't really tested nor do I have documentation references.

Your 'thanks anyway' comment makes me think you didn't fully comprehend my answer .. maybe partially my fault for terminology ..

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
As a test you could always move the WMAs out of the main directory. That would give you the proof you seek.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
isn't it always your fault Bob!?!?! "ducks for cover!"

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Simple experiment: how about you pick an example set of sounds (piano, guitar, whatever) (move the wma's to some other location that RB can't find then: 1) load RB, and 2) select those RT's (that now ONLY have .wav's) and see if those RT's play?

The supplied Decompress utility ONLY converts WMA to WAV, not vice versa, so RB won't "re-compress" those wav's to wma's. So if you hear the pianos, guitars whatever - then RB is using the wav's in teh above experiment.

As a matter of fact I've read a few places here, over the years, that BIAB and RB always USE WAV. If the WAV isn't there THEN it decompresses the WMA version to WAV (could be wrong on that - Matt is the resident expert on most things Audiophile, and he explained somewhere why there are both WMA's and WAV's in Audiophile sets)

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273811&page=2

That decompress from WMA to WAV (for us non-Audiophile users we understand the resultant WAV is lower quality than Audiophile counter part) - is why some of us non-audiophile users can take a few very LONG seconds (it's noticeable even when one has a fast processor and HDDs) to load a RT heavy songs: takes a while to run decompression utility on all the involved RT's.

EDIT

I SEE Steve beat me to the "experiment"

Good Luck
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/21/14 08:29 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
H
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
If do the experiment (relocate the .wmas) on just one folder so as to keep the number of files I have to relocate to a manageable number, then of course RB will use the .wavs in that folder...that's all it has to choose from.

But in order to be sure RB is then using .wavs in all instances, I would have to move all the .wmas out of the relevant BB subfolders. That would be...let me see...umpteen million files. No thanks.

I still think there has to be a setting somewhere to specify the use of .wavs rather than .wmas. If not, I'm hoping a PG rep will chime in here and definitively tell me that it happens automatically.

Thanks to all who responded.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
OK - when you call or email them (they may not see this thread, this is a user forum) - let us all know what they said, please.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HangdogCat
If do the experiment (relocate the .wmas) on just one folder so as to keep the number of files I have to relocate to a manageable number, then of course RB will use the .wavs in that folder...that's all it has to choose from.

But in order to be sure RB is then using .wavs in all instances, I would have to move all the .wmas out of the relevant BB subfolders. That would be...let me see...umpteen million files. No thanks.

I still think there has to be a setting somewhere to specify the use of .wavs rather than .wmas. If not, I'm hoping a PG rep will chime in here and definitively tell me that it happens automatically.

Thanks to all who responded.

HangDogCat, like others have mentioned, there is no 'user selectable switch' to do this. It's an automatic feature.

I too have Audiophile (starting off with the non-Audiophile version). I have determined, with the right listening equipment, that there is a difference. To assure yourself, you would have to go through the process of moving the 'other' files to a different location. Sort by file type, select all files of that file type, and move, it should only take a few moments (in Move operations, Windows doesn't move the actual files, it just adjusts the directory entry of where they are located).

My understanding is that if there are only WMA and no WAV files available, the program will be using WMA, and visa-versa.

HTH

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
rharv #275969 12/22/14 03:11 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

Many do not realize you can 'play' those wma and wav files in most mediaplayers .. that's how I discovered that at the end of many RealDrums there are individual recorded hits of each drum. So if you want to add a cymbal at X point in a song, you can do it. Not sure why this isn't the rule for all of the Realdrums and a feature mentioned by PGMusic somewhere.
To me that was a huge discovery. It means I can open a sampler and have the same Realdrums sounds yet customize them when needed.

/add a second snare hit .
// add a ride cymbal on on the beat ..
///slashies come in threes ...

I didn't know that! Thanks Bob! This deserves to be a sticky somewhere!

Pat Marr #275984 12/22/14 04:31 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Absolutely, a hidden gem! Deserves a sticky. Thanks Rharv.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
H
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
I did contact tech support about this issue, and here's the exchange:

PG Music: The Audiophile is programmed to automatically use the WAV files. There is no setting inside the program to change this, so you won't need to worry about using the WMA files instead. The only time the WMA files would be used instead is if the WAV files aren't present. This would happen if you installed the full program on your computer's internal drive, since that option only installs the WMA files. If you use the Audiophile straight from the external drive then it will use the WAV files.

Me: Thank you, but what about a third possibility? I installed the full program to my computer's internal drive, and then copied the RealTracks and RealDrums to an external USB drive. In the programs I specified the paths to these folders. But they contain both .wavs and .wmas.

It sounds like you are saying that the program will always use the .wavs in this case, assuming they are present...correct?

PG Music: That's correct, if the Audiophile sees that both WMA and WAV files are present for a RealTrack then it will always use the WAV files.

Pat Marr #276267 12/23/14 02:10 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I don't have sticky privileges.
Wish I did sometimes because some good Tips items just disappear down the list quickly.
I have put this in Tips area and here in the RB forum before, but I guess this time the light came on for you! Glad I said it again.

rharv #276340 12/24/14 04:21 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Glad you did too Rharv. Can't speak for Pat, but as you can see from my avatar, I'm usually out fishing on some beach....sitting there brain-dead. Glad there's guys like you to watch out for us!

By the way, if you ever get a chance to get out of that cold northern icebox, stop on down...way down in sunny FL. I'll show what that avatar is all about.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Glad you got the verification you needed.

Thanks for sharing that.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
MountainSide
We have some pretty good fishing around here too ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzKDsh1tHo

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
MountainSide -

Based on your comments about fishing, I figured you would have a moniker of something more like Seaside.

Not too many mountains in sunny Florida. smile

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Fishing. Bah. I'll just lay on the beach checking out the scenery...

As to why there's a utility to convert the WMA's to WAV it's because when using the standard RT's and not the Audiophile version, the program will generate WAV's a "bit" faster than WMA's because the program does an automatic decompression of the WMA's. If you do the full conversion to WAV yourself first then the program can skip that step.

When the the RT's first came out several people did test the generation time between the stock WMA's and the decompressed WAV's and the difference really wasn't much, just a few seconds usually. Of course of someone has a really old slow system that might make a bigger difference.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
rharv #276672 12/27/14 03:22 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Oh yea! Nice vid there Rharv! Definitely do like seeing those big 'uns swim up there in the Lakes. I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie and really do miss fresh water...I just hate getting in salt water but the fishing is great down here...both fresh water and saltwater.

Mr JFord....take a look at that avatar again....down here that's what we call mountains....that and the I-75 exit ramps! Actually, that MountainSide moniker came from a time when one of my interations of my home studio was on the side of Kennesaw Mountain north of Atlanta. Actually, that wasn't much of a mountain either..but that's what the locals called it so it just kinda stuck.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,675
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200