Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So true!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Around here, they don't want to pay more than $75/player. It's like being back in the 1970s. I won't do it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
yet DJs can still earn $1000 and up per gig

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Simple solution guys/gals just don't play if you don't get paid, unless it is a bonofide charity of benefit.

Later,

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
the only fallacy there is that the bars are making a pile of money. most are prolly losing money or just breaking even.

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I suppose instead of bars being the 'distributors' - you could instead replace that with "INternet music distributors"

Also - to Pat's point - if you want to make $$$ - become a DJ.

If you want to do what you love - you'll probably lose money on the proposition, but - you'll be doing what you love !!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is deja-vu all over again.... didn't we just have this conversation....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, the live music industry is in a definite slump, and the open mic clubs are taking away some of the business we have left.

I went into the yacht club, country club, retirement community, private party end of the business and although it has also been hit, it hasn't been hit as hard as the restaurant/night club end of our biz.

Exception: We do play one "club" once a week and We're in our 7th year. It pays OK, but not great, but it's steady and it gives us a place for prospective party people to come hear us.

The problem is, live music isn't as important to the younger generation as it was when I was young.

Add to that TV now takes a big share of our market.

TV?

When I was younger, TV had a few channels, grainy picture, and very tinny, low bandwidth, midrange sound. If you wanted to see a band, you had go go out.

Now we have hundreds of channels, Giand sized Ultra HD screens, 7.1 surround sound, and a cable or satellite bill that can easily top $300/month - there goes the entertainment budget right there.

IMHO the band should hold the audience, not be the draw. Any following the band has should be seen as an extra to the club owner. But of course, many club owners don't agree.

But in my end of the business, there is a party, or it's a private club. People are coming because either they've been invited or it's their club. Our job is the same, entertain them while they are there. Give them a good time so that they want to come back.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Yes, the live music industry is in a definite slump, and the open mic clubs are taking away some of the business we have left.

I went into the yacht club, country club, retirement community, private party end of the business and although it has also been hit, it hasn't been hit as hard as the restaurant/night club end of our biz.

Exception: We do play one "club" once a week and We're in our 7th year. It pays OK, but not great, but it's steady and it gives us a place for prospective party people to come hear us.

The problem is, live music isn't as important to the younger generation as it was when I was young.

Add to that TV now takes a big share of our market.

TV?

When I was younger, TV had a few channels, grainy picture, and very tinny, low bandwidth, midrange sound. If you wanted to see a band, you had go go out.

Now we have hundreds of channels, Giand sized Ultra HD screens, 7.1 surround sound, and a cable or satellite bill that can easily top $300/month - there goes the entertainment budget right there.

IMHO the band should hold the audience, not be the draw. Any following the band has should be seen as an extra to the club owner. But of course, many club owners don't agree.

But in my end of the business, there is a party, or it's a private club. People are coming because either they've been invited or it's their club. Our job is the same, entertain them while they are there. Give them a good time so that they want to come back.

Two thoughts to add to Notes remark. When I was young, Network TV also featured several all-music programming shows. Hootnanny, Hullabaloo (I think), Soul Train, Midnight Special, Austin City Limits and Lawrence Welk. Variety shows such as Sonny and Cher, Glen Campbell, Barbara Mandrell, Johnny Cash, Smothers Brothers, and many more including Ed Sullivan. Saturday TV featured Country Music shows such as Buck Owens, Porter Wagoner, The Wilburn Brothers, Pop Goes the Country.

The local TV stationed also had a 30 minute local band TV show on Saturdays. Weekly live radio programming is still popular in certain markets for example, Latin communities and for church groups. Little money but an opportunity to pick up a sponsor for help with your live gigs and build exposure and a fan base. Should work to some extent for any genre of music.

Second, although best accessed through a booking agent or personal management, Festivals and Corporate events have big budgets for live entertainment. A more unique but also a lucrative market is through government and foundation grant programs. Lot's of hoops to jump through and you have to develop creative themes, but a lot of grant money goes unclaimed every year. There is grant money available for nearly any idea you can conceive if you also have the ability to sell it. That's where the hoops part comes in. I just checked on line for SC government and there are two available grants posted that total $8,000 and the only exception listed, proceeds can not be used for brick and mortar projects. So, you can't build your studio, but you can buy a tour bus..... get paid to record your BIAB album.... hire a 'real producer'.... Book 10 non-paying gigs at universities, local collage, Art theater, etc and still get paid by a grant.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I live a mile from the Hermosa Beach Pier. It's wall to wall bars including the once world famous Lighthouse. There used to be live music from singles to bands all over the beach from Hermosa down to the Redondo Pier.

I'm a UFC fan and I'll go to wichever one of the bars is showing the pay per view events. With dinner, parking and a couple of beers it's about half of the PPV cost at home.

Since I'm there already I will walk around and check out the various places. All those bars are sports bars with big screens and a couple have a DJ but most don't. Here's the rub, those bars are packed on a Saturday night with a line up outside to get in. The Lighthouse is the only live music venue on the pier and it has been at the most 75% full, no line to get in. The contrast to the other bars just a 100 feet away was stark. Those places are jumping while the Lighthouse looks dead from the walk street. Two weeks ago they had a DJ. A DJ in the Lighthouse! Even that wasn't working. I stuck my head in the door at about 10PM and it was maybe two thirds full. Maybe it's a late crowd but I think I know the reason, the decor hasn't changed since WW2 while the other places are basically brand new. 25 years ago I was in a 7 piece horn band rocking the Lighthouse twice a month on Saturday nights.

I've noticed this for over a year now. I hate to say it but the Lighthouse needs a Bar Rescue and if that were to happen, that would be the end of live music there because it's not big enough to turn into a live music showcase venue. I hear the same family still owns it but they've got to be losing big.

The only thing I can say is at Baja Sharkee's where I saw the fights, the crowd was under 30, SRO, they were very nice well behaved young people who were having lots of fun. They didn't need no stinkin band or even dancing. The only DJ'ing going on were comments over a PA on either the fights, the football game or drink specials.

Financially I have to admit it's a good business model for the owners. There's no need or room for a band.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It is dismal, to be sure. I have not played for my living in 25 years, and I won't go back to it now even being retired and not needing the money. There are just things I won't do, and every live act does them. I refuse to play that lowest common denominator copycat set list. If my original music is not good enough to hold the crowd's interest, then I am not good enough at songwriting. I will not play if there are TVs on in the room. I am the entertainment. Pay attention to ME. Once again, if they do not pay attention to me, it is because I am not good enough. If it's a big game night, like an Ohio State football game, don't book entertainment, or book a short set night after the game is over, at which point you must TURN THE DAMNED TV OFF! And while you are switching things off, turn off any video games as well.

And don't expect to hear any Jimmy Buffet, Van Morrison or Skynard cliche songs. Not from me. You will hear 2 sets of 45 minutes each, containing 10 Eastside Eddie songs, and maybe ONE selected cover, done in my own arrangement, not exactly like a CD. If you want them to sound liek the CD, play CDs. If you don't like my songs, then I apologize because I failed as a songwriter and I promise that I will work harder at it. I like being in a position where I don't care if I play live again or not. I completely understand people who play music for a living doing what they have to do to draw people and keep them there. It's just not for me. I did it for years when I needed the money to pay bills. Now I don't, so I won't. I love being retired. And financially solvent.

I miss "music clubs" like everybody else does. I HATE the thought of having to play in restaurants where you can't set up until 15 minutes before starting time because they want to turn those 4 tables where they stash the entertainment "just one more time". If I play at 9, I want to set up at 3, sound check thoroughly so I have time to troubleshoot any problems, and come back to play at 9. My take on people who refuse to do that is that they are lazy and don't care about their craft enough to do so. That is just my opinion. (I have heard MANY players tell me "I'm not driving there twice.") Feel free to flame me if you like. Also feel free to fumble with an equipment problem at 9pm when there are no music stores open to buy whatever you need to replace in order to fix the problem and save the gig.

Cleveland used to be a really good music town. And if you were to look at the band listings, it appears to still be a rockin' town. However, once you go to visit some of those places, it gets sad very quickly. Almost nobody has a keyboard player anymore. They either play "live karaoke" with recorded keyboard tracks or just do without and sound empty. The same with backing vocals. Most of the bands are a power trio with a singer. There is a core group of about 25 players who all play the same 45 songs and mix and match pieces and book gigs for $250 under different names, but it's the same bunch of people playing the same crap. One place I used to visit often when they first opened has not seen me since about May because the owner is now booking "junk bands". 2 people from a 5 piece blues act go in there as a "Lite" version with just the guitar and bass player. Sometimes it's 3 of them. Then the 2 of them play with 2 people from another band under a different name... and on and on. None of them rehearse, none of them are tight, and they all just wing songs as they go. They will never get a dime of my money until they go back to having REAL bands again. It's mainly solo and duo acts now, again, all because of the big mamuo. Minimal PA, minimal lighting, no set lists, no sound checks, nothing. Just wing it. If it sounds bad, so what? I still get money. And I really don't like to see those acts. That's why I rarely go out is that the music scene is so diluted. For about 6 months I did sound for a band while they looked for someone who actually wanted to do it. In 6 months, maybe 17-19 gigs, their set list changed ONCE, and that was to plug in 2 "new" copy songs.

I long for the return of the days when music was about music and not money. But as long as bars pay bad bands just to come and play SOMETHING, it will continue to suffer from the major suckage we have now.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm terminally positive about this topic, even though all the evidence states otherwise. I basically think that the darkest hour is just before the dawn. Every technological change creates new opportunities, but it also erodes the old way. People who watch for and identify the new opportunities will do well, and those who put all their eggs in "the old way" basket will tend to find fewer and fewer eggs.

I think there are a thousand ways to pursue music today, right now.. we just need to find them and act on them.

Or not. Everybody gets to make that call. I like playing music so much that I choose to look for the new opportunities, even if it means I have to put on my salesman hat and approach places I think would make viable venues for baby boomers and try to sell them on my vision.

If you ask me to name the new opportunities, I can't because I haven't actualized any yet. But I do have some ideas and I'm working on them. I fully expect to get good results eventually, but not without a lot of effort.

Nothing can happen unless it's possible. I look around and I see people making new musical paradigms work, therefore I know it's possible. I see it as a new gold rush. Some will get rich selling picks and pans to the prospectors, some will strike gold, and the vast majority of people will waste their time.

Life has no guarantees. But multiple studies have proven that people who have goals are happier... whether they reach their goals or not. It is the pursuit that provides the thrill.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"I long for the return of the days when music was about music and not money."

When was that? I must have missed that period. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One of the biggest killers of live music around here was the DWI laws.

During the slow season our wedding band played at American Legions, VFWs, Elks clubs and the like. All of those jobs dried up when DWI laws were introduced. Note most all the audience of these clubs was elderly and respected the laws.

The small town where I grew up had 4 bars that had bands. Now they are all gone due to lack of business because of those laws.

Now don't get me wrong. I believe in and still want to keep those laws. But most people are now more aware of what can happen even if they have one drink, thus they do not go to bars. This brought the demise of many a band in our area.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Notes,

Forgive me for for cherry picking your well thought out response. But what I did quote from your post just may be the most profound explanation contributing to the demise of the live music scene in today's world.

Well said Notes!

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think that's true, I think the definition of live music has changed. Now, in the top 100 list of top earning entertainers is a bunch of DJ's making millions, yes millions from live shows. These people are not what we tend to think of as DJ's ie, spinning records at a sock hop.

You have to look up these guys on YT and see some of their shows. They are huge, thousands of people and it's not just the DJ, he'll have guest artists with him, they're working the crowd just as well as the Rat Pack ever did.

I watched a tutorial about some kid in the UK who's apparently a superstar DJ. He gets raw unmixed tracks from various artists and then does a complete live remix of them including blending the original tracks with parts he's creating himself using tons of software and other equipment. It was truly amazing what he did. Him and the interviewer were comparing what he does to another superstar DJ who would take the exact same raw tracks and create something entirely different with them. Think about that a minute. I had never heard of that before. Current stars releasing their raw multitracks for DJ's to mess with? Would Sinatra or Aerosmith ever do that? No way and that's the problem we have. We don't even think in those terms so we can't begin to comment on it.

We, including me, have zero clue about this stuff. We don't understand it, we don't relate to it, we completely ignore it.

It is live music? You bet it is, just check out those vids if you don't believe me. When I posted about Pier Avenue, I'm writing from my pov as well as everybody in this thread. Those kids are not looking at these bars for their dance party fix. They're going to other clubs we don't even know exist for these local live DJ shows.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This generation of live music listeners just care about a beat, and the DJs speed up and slow down songs so that incessant beat NEVER changes. Nobody cares anymore about quality guitar work, accurate harmonies, tasteful keyboard fills... all they want is BOOM BOOM BOOM at 112 bpm for 4 hours. DJs have 4-5 minutes between CD changes to go to the bathroom and get water, so they can go non stop for 4 hours with no break, unlike musicians who need to catch their breath and rest their vocal chords for 20 minutes between sets.

I personally despise DJs. Though I despise a lot of things, so don't take THAT to heart too much.... grin

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm sure that's true with some DJ's Eddie but that's certainly not true with the one's I just talked about. Seriously take the time to look up the names of the biggest DJ's and then go to the 'tube. You'll be shocked and amazed with what they're doing. Same with beatboxers btw. There's a kid from Australia who's a big star and I found an hour long vid of him putting on a show in what looks like a big theater somewhere in front of believe it or not a white middle aged crowd.

Middle aged is what, 40-55 maybe? They're a full generation behind us. A 50 year old was born in 1964. What does he know of classic rock from the 60's and 70's? He was in high school in 1980 and his musical taste probably didn't mature until 1990. Rap and hip hop were huge by then.

This is crazy, I just googled "beatboxing Cleveland" and this came up:

http://www.kentwired.com/ksubuzz/article_1e875c14-2d95-11e4-a3c2-0017a43b2370.html

I noticed he says he's now a one man act using two guitar synths, looper pedals, drum machines and his beatboxing vocal skills. I barely know what he's talking about but obviously it's selling.

Damn, I just looked up "beatboxing los angeles" and found a whole crapload of hits. Shows, contests, films, colleges, festivals. I'm almost sorry I brought it up... No wonder there's no bands, this is where the audience is. One writer calls it the "Fifth Element of Hip Hop".

I think I'll stop now.

Bob

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Today's DJs are different then the ones when I was in my teens. I did buy a DVD from DJ Tiesto (don't no how to put the tréma or diaresis above the e) for investigational reasons (just wanted to know what he does with music). The crowd even doesn't dance, the crowd just stands there. Even though he's "only" playing vinyl disks, he's, sort of, making live music. Changing records without missing a beat, mixing into the music several special effects... just incredible and creating a new experience. And he seems not to have a fixed playlist. He's searching for the next record like everybody else would, looking at one and putting it away again, taking the next one...

I used to work full time as a DJ once, but I was just more like Wolfman Jack, playing one record, then the next one, if I needed a pause for the cause, I'd put on Stars on 45.

I agree, music does not have the same significance that it had before music went digital. And musicians aren't digital. They are not compatible to the contemporary lifestyle.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191